5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

AGX and GC installed - now I have a problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2003, 08:47 AM

AGX and GC installed - now I have a problem

I hope somebody can help. I intalled these over the weekend. It took me around 8 hours all together.

Everything is great except that I get a grind noise when my steering is in either lock position. It makes that noise only when I drive forward. Reverse doesn't make any noise at lock positions. Strange....

I am suspecting my wheels/tires are rubbing something, but can't figure out what. The offset for my wheels are 47mm. That's why I'm thinking this way. Would wheel spacer help?

Anybody help will be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 11-10-2003, 11:18 AM
2-Wheelin it...

sorry to hear about these problems bro
i'm wondering what would cause this.
did you get the 4th gen upper strut mounts like i told you to. or did you reuse the 5th gens?
have you had someone get in the car and jsut inch forward while you stand near the wheels and locate the problem?

and the main question, did you tighten your rims. i had someone try to steal mine once, but only got 50% through doing it. they loosened 3 bolts. i never realized it (i guess somethign scared them away) and i was hearing this noise for 3 weeks. finally, i took my wheel out to realize that all the bolts were loose. i tightened them and the noise disappeared. this noise ALSO only happened while going forward and disappeared when going backwards.
Old 11-10-2003, 12:18 PM

Hi Polo,

I reused 5th gen one. I grinded some material off of pipe looking thing of the mount. Does this matter though as far as the noise goes? My understanding is that if you don't grind it off the tip of the strut will not come out of the nut that holds it. Other than this there isn't any adverse affect on the suspension as a whole. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I am pretty sure I tightened the rims. I guess I can double check.

Did you also experience this on lock position (steering wheel)? Or did this happen constantly for you? What was you diagnosis? Was something rubbing?

Other than this problem the car handles and looks great!
Old 11-10-2003, 12:21 PM
2-Wheelin it...

Originally Posted by HKMax
Hi Polo,

I reused 5th gen one. I grinded some material off of pipe looking thing of the mount. Does this matter though as far as the noise goes? My understanding is that if you don't grind it off the tip of the strut will not come out of the nut that holds it. Other than this there isn't any adverse affect on the suspension as a whole. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I am pretty sure I tightened the rims. I guess I can double check. Did you also experience this on lock position? Or did this happen constantly for you? What was you diagnosis? Was something rubbing?

Other than this problem the car handles and looks great!
no, i never had any problems. i mean in the rain, it sometimes mad squeaking noises over bumps, but that's inevitable. never had noise. i would raise the car, and lower it again. see if the discs that go over the spring sit correctly on top of it. that's my only guess
glad you like it. crazy how low it can go, right =)
Old 11-10-2003, 12:31 PM

Yea, it can go pretty low. I set it up for now so that it has about a finger and a half in front and almost 2 fingers in the back. But I think I'll raise the front to two full fingers What a way to measure LOL...

I figured some squeaks are inevitable since it's all metal to metal contact. I don't mind this at all. But The grinding noise is killing me. I'm ao afraid to turn my steering wheel all the way to either direction. That's when the noise occurs. It sounds like the wheel is rubbing a part suspension piece. But when I looked there wasn't any indication of scratch or anything albeit I didn;t take off the wheel to look at it. That's why I think wheels spacer might help, and I am thinking about down sizing the wheels to 17 for better ride.

Anyway, if you(polo) or anyone else have any insight please let me know.
Old 11-10-2003, 12:33 PM
2-Wheelin it...

Yea, it can go pretty low. I set it up for now so that it has about a finger and a half in front and almost 2 fingers in the back. But I think I'll raise the front to two full fingers What a way to measure LOL...

I figured some squeaks are inevitable since it's all metal to metal contact. I don't mind this at all. But The grinding noise is killing me. I'm ao afraid to turn my steering wheel all the way to either direction. That's when the noise occurs. It sounds like the wheel is rubbing a part suspension piece. But when I looked there wasn't any indication of scratch or anything albeit I didn;t take off the wheel to look at it. That's why I think wheels spacer might help, and I am thinking about down sizing the wheels to 17 for better ride.

Anyway, if you(polo) or anyone else have any insight please let me know.
hit me up on email so we can see when i can get the rear upper strut mounts and extra pieces that i left on my setup.
Old 11-10-2003, 02:37 PM

Any other thoughts? Would wheels spacers help?
Old 11-10-2003, 02:43 PM

If you think it might be the wheel running, put some chalk or something on the inside of the wheel. Then drive a little with it turning and see if it rubbed off.
Old 11-10-2003, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by maximamaybe
If you think it might be the wheel running, put some chalk or something on the inside of the wheel. Then drive a little with it turning and see if it rubbed off.
Good idea. I'll try that.
Old 11-14-2003, 10:42 AM

Today I tried to "see" if it was indeed the wheel rubbing. I don't think it is. I am beginning to think that I might have intalled the struts wrong. Is there a particular way that the mount is supposed to sit? I noticed white dot on the mount. It seemd to fit when this white dot was pointing toward the back of the car.

If anybody with experince installing AGX on 5th gen I'd appreciate your input. Thanks!
Old 11-14-2003, 10:45 AM
2-Wheelin it...

Today I tried to "see" if it was indeed the wheel rubbing. I don't think it is. I am beginning to think that I might have intalled the struts wrong. Is there a particular way that the mount is supposed to sit? I noticed white dot on the mount. It seemd to fit when this white dot was pointing toward the back of the car.

If anybody with experince installing AGX on 5th gen I'd appreciate your input. Thanks!
that's the strut adjustment. you're supposed to push in lightly and turn, and when it pops back out, you adjusted the strength of the strut. you can set it from values 1-4. look closely, you should see the numbers. from what i know, there is only 1 way to mount the strut, as in there is no way you can install it wrong because the bolts will simply NOT go in.

make sure the dot pops back out. if it's stuck in between 2 spots, possibly something can happen.
Old 11-14-2003, 11:33 AM

Well, I'm not talking about that dot. I know what you're talking about. This dot is on the mount itself. I am suspecting it is put there for a reference from the factory.

what i know, there is only 1 way to mount the strut, as in there is no way you can install it wrong because the bolts will simply NOT go in.
Yea, that's what I thought...

Since I'm not 100% if the wheel is rubbing I wish I could swap the wheels for like 5 min with someone...

It's quite frustrating...
Old 11-14-2003, 11:44 AM
2-Wheelin it...

Well, I'm not talking about that dot. I know what you're talking about. This dot is on the mount itself. I am suspecting it is put there for a reference from the factory.

Since I'm not 100% if the wheel is rubbing I wish I could swap the wheels for like 5 min with someone...

It's quite frustrating...
i can tell you this
the upper strut mount only mounts ONE WAY. the holes only line up ONE way. any other way, and the bolts woudnt' go through the holes. so it's impossibly to place the upper strut mount incorrectly.

is everything secure. the bolts that go onto the mount. are they tight?
Old 11-14-2003, 12:45 PM

my gc's make no noise....
Old 11-14-2003, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by rob van dam
my gc's make no noise....
Really??

Actually, GC sound level is tolerable. I don't mind it. It would be nice if there was no noise, but I can live with it. I have a plan to make some sort of insulation for upper and lower seats. I'll see how that comes out.

PoLo: That's what I thought. All the holes match up and they are pretty tight. One thing is that I might not have grinded enough material off of my mount. But I don't think that's causing the noise.

Is there left and right strut? Is there a way to install them on wrong sides? That's my next possible guess. The way it is installed now is that the plate looking thing attached to the strut that supports the brake line (I think) is toward the back.

One other thing I noticed was the grind noise actually slows down the car. So it definitely rubbing something. Could it be the brake rotor??? This noise is worse for the right all-the-way turn than the left. This could be due to my weight on one side, but I thought I throw it out there.

Thanks guys...
Old 11-14-2003, 07:25 PM

Is there left or right strut?
Old 11-15-2003, 08:23 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

I have GC and AGXs on my car and I had some problems with screetching/rubbing noise too..

I bought the car with them on and from the 1st installation, they settled and set into place and i had no noise when turning or going forward or just any kind of noise..

but i wanted to raise the car up because it was sitting too low.. so i jacked it up and tried to turn the screw to adjust them but it seized up and it was cold as hell so i dropped it back down and decided to do it another day...
About 12 hours later, i started getting that damn noise when turning to the right.. but this is my left front that i jacked up 1st..

so i suspected it was the GCs..
later, i jacked it up again and moved the spring around a little bit.

make sure that the "Ground Control" label on the metal spring that you adjust the height with is pointing directly at you.. and when you lower it off the jack, make sure everything stands straight.

when the thing is not seating right, the spring moves and causes this noise..
i had it when in reverse, then when turning right, then going over bumps... annoying as hell.

although it's gone now, i still hate ground controls
Old 11-15-2003, 10:28 AM

Thanks NYCe MaXiMa! Did the grinding noise actually slow down? Mine does. That's why I'm thinking it might be rubbing. I never thought it could be GC.... I guess I'll have to look even more closely at this.
Old 11-15-2003, 10:34 AM

Thanks NYCe MaXiMa! Did the grinding noise actually slow down? Mine does. That's why I'm thinking it might be rubbing. I never thought it could be GC.... I guess I'll have to look even more closely at this.

It was really weird.. when it started happening, it was 1st only apparent in right turns i believe.. then it started happening when backing up and got really loud and i could even feel it in my pedals and steering wheel.. it was quick, then really slow.. then just regular.. i stopped paying attention and tried to ignore it.. but then i jacked it up and turned the GCs a little.. made sure the spring was sitting straight and lowered it with the jack really slow and hoped it was sitting right.. it stopped since.

the previous owner of my car said, a lot of the time when you jack the car up, the spring moves slightly and it will make some noise when you lower it back down if it's not sitting right.. and it will continue until it falls back into place by itself or until you turn it yourself.
Old 11-15-2003, 11:19 AM

Hmm, I'll try to raise the car and see if I can lower is carefully. Thanks NYCe MaXiMa! I'll let you know if it goes right. Ohhh, I hope so

BTW what did you mean by the following?
make sure that the "Ground Control" label on the metal spring that you adjust the height with is pointing directly at you.
Old 11-15-2003, 11:38 AM

Hmm, I'll try to raise the car and see if I can lower is carefully. Thanks NYCe MaXiMa! I'll let you know if it goes right. Ohhh, I hope so

BTW what did you mean by the following?

no problem, let me know how it goes..

what i am talking about in that statement is the bronze ring at the bottom of the assembly.. when you jack up the car you'll see it. It's bronze (as i remember) and has "ground control" label on it.. and this is the ring that has the adjustment screw to adjust the height...

it's supposed to point or look directly at you..
the writing "ground control" is supposed to look out of the wheel well.
Old 11-15-2003, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by NYCe MaXiMa
no problem, let me know how it goes..

what i am talking about in that statement is the bronze ring at the bottom of the assembly.. when you jack up the car you'll see it. It's bronze (as i remember) and has "ground control" label on it.. and this is the ring that has the adjustment screw to adjust the height...

it's supposed to point or look directly at you..
the writing "ground control" is supposed to look out of the wheel well.
Oh now I get it. I didn't know that the label facing direction was important I'll try and let you know. Thanks!