5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

What is the neutral safety switch story?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2003, 05:24 PM

What is the neutral safety switch story?

I want to put remote start in my 5 speed, but only if it can be done safely. I've read a bunch of threads and did a few searches, but can't seem to find any good details.

Is it only in the 4th gen? If not, how does one use it in the 5th gen?
Old 11-18-2003, 07:55 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Yeah, I'm hoping to get a remote starter in my 6spd some day too... which is why I had bookmarked this thread when I saw it...

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....remote+starter

Appearantly pin 44 on the ECM puts out voltage when the car is on and is in any gear other than neutral. I guess you could use a relay to perform a "NOT" on that signal to bypass the clutch, and the starter itself would provide the "on" state to the ECM. The only reason why I haven't done this yet is b/c I think I'd have to do it myself and I think putting in a customized starter is beyond my skills at this point. I'm hoping to study up and maybe get it in for NEXT winter.

If anyone knows of an installer in the Northeast who'd put a starter in a 6psd PM me!

Here's a snipit from the service manual:
Old 11-18-2003, 08:09 PM
Wild at Hurt

Well, with the information you have on the ECU perhaps you guys could wire in your own 12V DC relay and let the installer go from there.
Old 11-19-2003, 10:09 AM

It's not 12v, it's only 5v. And a standard 5v relay didn't work. I'm STILL working on this. I've got a circuit in from Texas Instruments that looks promising. Once I get time to work on the car, I'll test it out, but it probably won't be until after Thanksgiving (at the earliest).
Old 11-19-2003, 10:21 AM

I hooked mine up next to the intake manfold under the hood. Its the green/white wire.

It gives out 0 if in N and -1 if its in gear.
Old 11-19-2003, 11:12 AM

As a former installer I can tell you that it's fairly easy to defeat for remote start. The question becomes, is it worth it? I personally have in the past and still do refuse to do remote starts on manual trannies because of the consequences. If someone were injured or killed because of it the installer could be sued. I've had a 2-year old remote start one of my cars repeatedly just playing with the remote (requires holding two of four buttons simultaneously to start.) I kept hearing the car start in the garage and finally figured out WTF was going on. What if another child was in front of it and it was a manual tranny and the child accidentally started it and got ran over? Odds are that it won't happen, but it could. I personally couldn't live with myself after an event like that.

That being said---you can tap the emergency brake wire for some safety (thus requiring it to be engaged to start.) I would say that is a MUST. Also, I haven't personally taken the time to engineer it, but some motorcycles have brake light switches that connect via a pull-wire. You could (in theory) engineer a sort of 'kill-switch' that allows for the alarm to not attempt to start with the car in gear---would take two of those brake switch-boxes, one on the front and rear of the shifter with both cables attached to the shifter. In neutral, there would be an open circuit. In any gear, either one of the two switches would be engaged and prevent starting. That was how I planned to safely set one up if the time ever arrived.

Also, I think the Compustar system has some sort of 'procedure' that helps prevent starting in gear---but that's all I know about it.

I personally could still sleep at night with this setup is in place.

That's my million dollar plan--don't steal it. ;-)
Old 11-19-2003, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by t56gen3
As a former installer I can tell you that it's fairly easy to defeat for remote start. The question becomes, is it worth it? I personally have in the past and still do refuse to do remote starts on manual trannies because of the consequences. If someone were injured or killed because of it the installer could be sued. I've had a 2-year old remote start one of my cars repeatedly just playing with the remote (requires holding two of four buttons simultaneously to start.) I kept hearing the car start in the garage and finally figured out WTF was going on. What if another child was in front of it and it was a manual tranny and the child accidentally started it and got ran over? Odds are that it won't happen, but it could. I personally couldn't live with myself after an event like that.

That being said---you can tap the emergency brake wire for some safety (thus requiring it to be engaged to start.) I would say that is a MUST. Also, I haven't personally taken the time to engineer it, but some motorcycles have brake light switches that connect via a pull-wire. You could (in theory) engineer a sort of 'kill-switch' that allows for the alarm to not attempt to start with the car in gear---would take two of those brake switch-boxes, one on the front and rear of the shifter with both cables attached to the shifter. In neutral, there would be an open circuit. In any gear, either one of the two switches would be engaged and prevent starting. That was how I planned to safely set one up if the time ever arrived.

Also, I think the Compustar system has some sort of 'procedure' that helps prevent starting in gear---but that's all I know about it.

I personally could still sleep at night with this setup is in place.

That's my million dollar plan--don't steal it. ;-)
Dude, you're an absolute shmuck!

I have a 6spd and if my car is in gear, the car wont start.

All you do is tap into the Nuetral Safety Switch wire (green/white) and ur done!

This is as safe as an auto. My car wont even crank if its in gear.

Why "engineer a sort of 'kill-switch' " when your car is equipped with one already. Its called ECU pin #44.

Read the manual and learn it my son
Old 11-19-2003, 01:20 PM

If that's the case then kewl, but I've never heard of that stock before.

Will the car start in neutral without the clutch depressed? I've never tried.
Old 11-19-2003, 01:52 PM

in stock form...the car will not start at all unless the clutch is depressed
Old 11-19-2003, 01:58 PM
2-Wheelin it...

not taking side
not discussing what is morally right or wrong

technically speaking, if you simply attach the neutral safety switch wire to pin 44 of the ecu and nothing more, it works.
this neutral safety switch works in 2 ways. either in gear, it will shut off, or if YOU flip it off with a switch (most people add a manual switch simply because they want the remote start off). this is all the same wire.
Old 11-19-2003, 01:59 PM

Then why does this 'neutral safety switch' exist from the factory? What purpose does it serve?
Old 11-19-2003, 02:24 PM
ABS

Originally Posted by Igor911
Dude, you're an absolute shmuck!

I have a 6spd and if my car is in gear, the car wont start.

All you do is tap into the Nuetral Safety Switch wire (green/white) and ur done!

This is as safe as an auto. My car wont even crank if its in gear.

Why "engineer a sort of 'kill-switch' " when your car is equipped with one already. Its called ECU pin #44.

Read the manual and learn it my son
I do not think this person is a schmuck for asking a not so obvious question. I also have remote start setup and all I did was tap into the neutral safety switch on the 6speed. There are two green/white wires and you have to the right one (test with a meter), but after that it works. Clutch bypass can be setup on the 6 speed by using a relay to create on "open" circuit on the clutch switch since that line normally sees ground. The e-brake wire/switch should also be connected as a safety check since it sees ground when the e-brake is on. I use this as the ground for the coil in the clutch bypass relay . . .
Old 11-19-2003, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by ABS
I do not think this person is a schmuck for asking a not so obvious question. I also have remote start setup and all I did was tap into the neutral safety switch on the 6speed. There are two green/white wires and you have to the right one (test with a meter), but after that it works. Clutch bypass can be setup on the 6 speed by using a relay to create on "open" circuit on the clutch switch since that line normally sees ground. The e-brake wire/switch should also be connected as a safety check since it sees ground when the e-brake is on. I use this as the ground for the coil in the clutch bypass relay . . .
ok first of all right before he posted i explained it can be done stock...therefore he is still a shmuck lol

now why would u use a relay? When u can unplug the clutch harness in the back of the clutch button and use a 3m wire tap and connect the + and - togather to make a "open circuit"

Whatever floats ur boat.
Old 11-20-2003, 09:07 AM

now why would u use a relay? When u can unplug the clutch harness in the back of the clutch button and use a 3m wire tap and connect the + and - togather to make a "open circuit"
The reason behind this is to stop people from not engaging the clutch when they start the car. I will say that you don't need a relay to do it, as I didn't use one. You can have the remote start send out the ground signal to the clutch wire so that the car thinks it's engaged. When the remote start is not activated (or in use), you cannot start the car without engaging the clutch. I did this as a safety issue for when OTHER people drive my car. Personally, I wouldn't car one way or another, but I've already had an incident in another car that I owned where a girl didn't push in the clutch. The car was in 1st gear and when she started it (she was used to an automatic), she plunged forward about 20 feet. So, it's a good idea to have the remote start send out the signal to the clutch wire... but you do not need a relay for it.

As for pin #44, unless there's something different between the 2002 and 2003 ECUs, my 2002 doesn't ground the neutral safety switch wire. The voltage drops down to almost 0, but the ground connection isn't there. That's why I have to use that circuit. If there are those of you who have pin #44 working properly (without any additional pieces), great. But there are some cars out there that don't work that way. Mine is one of them.
Old 11-20-2003, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by studman
The reason behind this is to stop people from not engaging the clutch when they start the car. I will say that you don't need a relay to do it, as I didn't use one. You can have the remote start send out the ground signal to the clutch wire so that the car thinks it's engaged. When the remote start is not activated (or in use), you cannot start the car without engaging the clutch. I did this as a safety issue for when OTHER people drive my car. Personally, I wouldn't car one way or another, but I've already had an incident in another car that I owned where a girl didn't push in the clutch. The car was in 1st gear and when she started it (she was used to an automatic), she plunged forward about 20 feet. So, it's a good idea to have the remote start send out the signal to the clutch wire... but you do not need a relay for it.

As for pin #44, unless there's something different between the 2002 and 2003 ECUs, my 2002 doesn't ground the neutral safety switch wire. The voltage drops down to almost 0, but the ground connection isn't there. That's why I have to use that circuit. If there are those of you who have pin #44 working properly (without any additional pieces), great. But there are some cars out there that don't work that way. Mine is one of them.
Can you explain to me exactly what you did with the clutch thing...this sounds interesting, i might do this as well. What wires did you use. A write up would be awesome!
Old 11-20-2003, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Igor911
Can you explain to me exactly what you did with the clutch thing...this sounds interesting, i might do this as well. What wires did you use. A write up would be awesome!

YES! A write up would be much appreciated!!!!!!
Old 11-21-2003, 03:17 PM

I'll be re-wiring the car sometime before the end of the year for another project, so I'll definitely get the write-up done then. But for now, I'll look into my buckets and boxes of papers and see if I can find the installer manual that I printed out (and wrote all the notes in). I just recently moved, so it's a little bit bigger task.
Old 11-23-2003, 01:46 PM

The car will not start at all if the clutch interlock switch is not closed. It will start in any gear as long as you depress the clutch pedal far enough.
Old 11-23-2003, 04:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hey guys,

i must say, there are some good idea's in here... i just installed my remote start/alarm today with a friend, and it works great, but 1st, i had to bypass the clutch, which is fine since i am the only one that will EVER drive my car. but, the problem still remaining is that i am kind of forgetfull, and i am very scared i will leave it in gear. i almost always leave it in N, but who knows the future.

here's my question... I have a 99 SE-L... does my car have pin 44? would i be able to find these green wires? also where do i look for them? and how do i hook them up to my remote start "brain" and make it know what to do? i really hope this works... no body wants me to park behind them in my driveway any more. lol. thanks in advance..

Chris
Old 11-28-2003, 06:13 AM

Blkmax95c: The 4th gen models do not have a "pin #44" on their cars. They don't even include a PNP relay on the manual transmission vehicles. However, there is a PNP wire that is mounted directly on the transmission that you can use. Find someone local with a service manual or a Chilton/Haynes book to help you locate the wire.