5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

H&R Spacers again...

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2003, 02:15 PM

H&R Spacers again...

I did several searches on this and turned up nothing. I am planning on ordering some spacers from ECS tuning. 5mm for the front and 15mm for the rear to be specific. My wheels are 47mm offset and look extremely tucked in.

The reason for this post is to find out about the studs that come with the kit. Now I understand that when you order these new studs come with them (not 5mm ones). Are the studs that come with the kit direct fit for 5th gen Maximas? Or should I order something else from ECS? They have a chart that you can find out what kind of studs I should be getting with the kit.

I know there are many people out there who did this mod and should be able to tell me what kind of studs I need.

Also people with hub centric rings. Can the spacers accomodate the rings? Any problems?

Thanks! I appreciate it.
Old 11-19-2003, 02:35 PM

Which series are you getting? See H&R's site: http://www.hrsprings.com/site/products/trak.html .
Old 11-19-2003, 02:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by HKMax
I did several searches on this and turned up nothing. I am planning on ordering some spacers from ECS tuning. 5mm for the front and 15mm for the rear to be specific. My wheels are 47mm offset and look extremely tucked in.

The reason for this post is to find out about the studs that come with the kit. Now I understand that when you order these new studs come with them (not 5mm ones). Are the studs that come with the kit direct fit for 5th gen Maximas? Or should I order something else from ECS? They have a chart that you can find out what kind of studs I should be getting with the kit.

I know there are many people out there who did this mod and should be able to tell me what kind of studs I need.

Also people with hub centric rings. Can the spacers accomodate the rings? Any problems?

Thanks! I appreciate it.
http://www.optauto.com/webstore/prod...t=417&last=417

There are generic ones for Nissan.

I am getting them too..
Need to install my wilwood kit.. but still running my 2k1 AE 17's..
Old 11-19-2003, 03:25 PM

Yea, I'm getting the generic kind. DRS series I believe. So how about those studs? I guess the ones that come with them are okay?

How about hub centric rings??
Old 11-20-2003, 04:24 AM

I have the 20mm on the rear, none on the front. The 15mm and 20mm spacers come with new studs and your factory lugs will go right on. You will need to disassemble some stuff to get the new studs in however.
Old 11-20-2003, 05:55 AM

I got my order for 5mm spacers from ECS a week ago. and it came with longer studs. I didn't have to replace the studs because they were long enough. As far as hub rings, those things still fit. I have mine on the rear only with 18" and a 40mm offset wheel.
Old 11-20-2003, 06:24 AM

Let me know of ECS actually has them in stock...I've been waiting 2 months for the 15mm kit. Many other members have waited even longer.
Old 11-20-2003, 07:29 AM

Thanks guys for the response. So I take I do not have to specify what stud style/length I want. Whatever comes with the spacers will fit right in.

How difficult is it to install? Is there a write up somewhere? I am not that bad with tools and installing things. Is it more difficult than installing struts and springs?

RichK: What is the offset of your wheels? Mine are 47mm and they look sort of horrendous, espcially in the rear. And after new struts and springs I think I'm rubbing the front tires. I'm hoping 5mm spacer in front will help with that issue. I was thinking about getting 15mm but now I think I should get 20mm in for the rear. They have these at option auto in stock.

Hamy: Just an observation from their site. It says when you chooxe your spacers 20mm ones are back ordered and 15mm ones don't say anything. Now I didn't call them or anything. But it seems they might have them in stock

Zooma: So your hub ring goes on top of the spacer? And I assume the hub rings sits snuggly on the hub centric lip of the spacer. I'm trying to picture how the entire thing will go together.
Old 11-20-2003, 07:44 AM

^^ Yes the 15mm seem to be in stock, but if you call them they SHOULD be out of stock. I'm on a call list so I would hope that they would call me before the update their site. Anyhow good luck with that and let me know if you get a set. Also, my 5mm spacers came with studs and everthing, I'm very pleased with them.
Old 11-20-2003, 08:14 AM
Maxima Pilot

If you call the H&R US headquarters direct (888) 827-8881 you can ask for information on the status of the 15mm spacers. The P/N is 3065662.

My custom 12mm spacers for my rear wheels will be ready next week...
Old 11-20-2003, 08:38 AM

Installing the 5mm spacers is very simple. take the wheel off, take out the hub ring, clean the hub with a wire brush, put on the spacer with the tapered side of the hub section facing in toward the hub; you should be left with 5-7mm of the hub showing which will be good enough for mounting the hub ring then mount the wheel.
Old 11-20-2003, 10:13 AM

How about 15+ mm ones? I know there is more invovled in installing these. How difficult is it? More difficult than installing struts/springs?

Galo: How much is that costing you btw?
Old 11-20-2003, 11:27 AM

How about 15+ mm ones? I know there is more invovled in installing these. How difficult is it? More difficult than installing struts/springs?
Yeah does anyone have a write-up on installing 15mm+ spacers?
Old 11-20-2003, 11:38 AM
a33

Thanks! I appreciate it.
if you get 5 and 15, then might as well leave it... cuz i have 25mm in the rar and still not flush with the fander....
so i think you should get 15 and 25
Old 11-20-2003, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by a33
if you get 5 and 15, then might as well leave it... cuz i have 25mm in the rar and still not flush with the fander....
so i think you should get 15 and 25
I am not looking for flush look. I just want to push it out a bit so that it doesn't look soooo tucked in. As you mentioned if I were to get 25mm ones I would get flush look.

I don't mind a little tuck in, but as is the tuckage is not that applealing. I'm thinking about getting 20mm one at this point. I would want to get 10mm one (if such a thing exsits) for the front, but as you all know there is no 10mm spacer. So I think 5mm will have to do for the front.
Old 11-20-2003, 02:19 PM
Maxima Pilot

The reason why no spacers between 5 and 15mm exist is because of the physical problem of how to have a lip on the outboard edge of the spacer for a spacer between 5 and 15 mm

Below 5mm, you are still using the stock hub to provide centricity, with spacers 15mm and larger, the spacer's inner hole (the one that accomodates the car's hub) 'necks down' after the hub's protrusion to regain a 66.2mm outside diameter but between 10 to 15 mm there's not enough thickness in the spacer to support a lip/flange. You cannot create a 66.2mm flange/lip where u have a 66.2mm hole, right??

So, my 12 mm spacers have the 74mm centric ring machined into the front face of the spacer. In effect, I have replaced the hub-centric ring with the equivalent in the form of the lip/flange machined into the outer face of the spacer.

The downside is that my spacer will NOT fit stock wheels because they require a 66.22mm diameter hub whereas my spacers have the 74mm lip, equivalent to the OD of my hub centric ring.

My prototypes are $75 bucks each, $150 a set. 10 spacers & the price drops to $41 each, 20 spacers & the price = $39 each, all without studs
Old 11-20-2003, 05:38 PM

Thanks Galo for the info. I actually read all of your previous post. But thanks again for reiterating. You're the man

My prototypes are $75 bucks each, $150 a set. 10 spacers & the price drops to $41 each, 20 spacers & the price = $39 each, all without studs
Are you thinking of running a group deal? If you do let me know. I am very interested since I'd rather have my hub centric ring built into the spacers.
Old 11-20-2003, 10:17 PM

Anybody know how difficult it is to install 15+ mm spacers? I figure it is similar to installing brakes. So anyone installed brakes before please chime in The reason I want to compare to installing struts is because I did the install myself and didn't find it too difficult.

On unrelated note: if anyone needs help in NY/NJ area with spring strut installing let me know I might be able to help.
Old 11-21-2003, 10:31 AM

Anyone had experience with installing spacers or brakes, please let me know.
Old 11-21-2003, 10:44 AM

What size spacer makes the stock rears even with the fronts? I hate the way it looks.
Old 11-21-2003, 12:44 PM

You should get 25+ mm to get flush with the rear fender. And it also depends on your wheel offset.
Old 11-21-2003, 01:46 PM
Maxima Pilot

Hey HK.....sorry for being a bit of a post-***** on this one....

Actually, I am indeed envisioning a GD. I'll wait until the prototypes and finished and installed, get some pics, etc and take it from there. I do realize that having the centric as an integral part of the spacer will limit this to folks who have aftermarket wheels but between all the Gen4s and Gen5's out there....yeah, I think more than a few spacers could likely be sold....

The price could work out to be very competitive with H&R. In quantities of 20, they will be $39 bucks each; add probably 10 bucks each for passivating or anodizing and you are at 50 bucks each, add two bucks per stud and we're at $120 bucks versus $140 for the H&R spacers...a group deal could work & I think would absolutely fill a need....

Old 11-21-2003, 01:59 PM

Not a prob Galo. I wonder if your machine shop could manufacture lip/centric ring in varying sizes and make that work for GD. If I'm not mistaken most of the wheels bores of the aftermarket wheels are 72 to 74 mm range. If that would work it'd be great. Thanks for the info
Old 11-21-2003, 03:49 PM
Maxima Pilot

HK....just got off the phone with the machine shop and yes, there is enough 'meat' (material thickness) on the centric lip to make these things with a 72mm OD lip.
And yes, he can program the machine to do this part of the machining last so that he can basically do a batch of spacers with 74mm lips and a batch of spacers with 72mm lips in the same 'setup' -which should make them of equal price as if you ran a larger lot.

We'll chat hopefully next week about where this goes, after I get them installed...
Old 11-21-2003, 03:56 PM

Cool. I was about to order a H&R set. I guess I'll wait for this deal to come alive. Thanks for the all the hard work. Let me know where it goes.

And mine is 73mm bore so I assume diameter is fine? What material is it going to be made out of?
Old 11-21-2003, 06:19 PM
Maxima Pilot

73mm diameter is no problema at all....it's just a dimension that you'll need to measure to the third significant digit to get the clearance right -for obvious reasons.

In the case of my spacers, (centric rings, actually) that dimension was miked twice with two different micrometers to make sure it was spot-on and in inches will be machined to 2.910-2.913 inches which equates to 73.990 mm.

The material will be 6061 aluminum

PM me with your fax number and I will fax you the engineering drawing for them when I get back to the office Monday
Old 12-04-2003, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Galo
73mm diameter is no problema at all....
Hey what if I need to push out 30-35mm?
How much of a pain is this?
2 spacer kits?
suggestions help?

needs to push out around 1.25-1.5" to clear.

Help
Old 12-04-2003, 02:26 PM

I doubt that there is realiable way to push that mush out with a kit. Sorry to say but I think it's time for new wheels. Now this is just my opinion. There may be others who have done this and better insight.
Old 12-04-2003, 08:53 PM

I doubt that there is realiable way to push that mush out with a kit. Sorry to say but I think it's time for new wheels. Now this is just my opinion. There may be others who have done this and better insight.

Yeah that's what I am afraid of.. the wheels I want are expensive.. and wheels aren't really top priority to me..

Maybe someone else can help?