5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Ex-rental car

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2003, 02:50 PM

Ex-rental car

My car is an ex-rental car from Hertz, bought it with 20k miles. Should I be worried about anything? I assume that 99% of the renters would fill it up with regular gas but that's the only thing I can think of. Do rental car companies service their vehicles pretty good?

My wife is getting one in about a week. Can't beat the low prices.
Old 11-21-2003, 02:53 PM
I'm needing a caw

Just make sure the engine/tranny are inspected very well. Most of us here beat rentals pretty hard but in reality, 90% of the general public treat rentals at least 1/2 decent.
Old 11-21-2003, 03:16 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Rental companies will usually sell cars from their fleet at 18k miles since they tend to count every mile on a rental as 2 miles driven on a regular car. As long as you can find a trustworthy shop to thoroughly inspect the car, you should be fine.
Old 11-21-2003, 03:26 PM

The guy at Hertz Auto Sales is pretty cool, let's you take the car home for the weekend. So at least you can get a good feel of any potential problems.

I wonder if rental cars are treated any different than company or lease vehicles (why bother with an oil change..?). $10K under msrp is a pretty good deal for a Max that is less than one year old, if you ask me.
Old 11-21-2003, 04:06 PM

I think they do fleet level service on their cars, which is all the scheduled maintenance to a T. But that doesn't mean the mechanics behind the cars aren't lazy.

Personally I beat the hell out of rental cars, so I would give it a good eye over before you buy it. Pay a mechanic that you trust to check it out.

One thing I would look for is burning oil...

good luck with it.
Old 11-21-2003, 04:27 PM
Go BUCKS!!!

I bought my ex-Enterprise 2002 Maxima with 26k miles. One thing I would sugest is, put the car up on a rack and check the underside. I have about 50 extra pounds of weight thanks to some idiot going off-roading through fresh asphalt which has coated the whole underside of my car. Check the body over for scratches as well.

Old 11-21-2003, 04:31 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

i bought my 02 max se at a local nissan dealership with 24k miles on it and found out it was originally a rental car. well 10k miles later ive yet to have any problems at all... only thing is a few minor scratches on hood and near gas hatch from renters that prob didnt give a @$#% about the paint... other then thats its been a dream car for me...
Old 11-21-2003, 04:39 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Wulf
My car is an ex-rental car from Hertz, bought it with 20k miles. Should I be worried about anything? I assume that 99% of the renters would fill it up with regular gas but that's the only thing I can think of. Do rental car companies service their vehicles pretty good?

CHECK EVERYTHING BEFORE YOU SIGN!

My previous Maxima was a Hertz ex-rental. I was eager to buy a new car and really didn't think things through. I saw and test drove the Sherwood Green Max late at night. Interior appeared clean and exterior looked good. I went in the next day, once again didn't look at the car in the light, and signed the paperwork. I was a temporarily proud owner of a 2k GXE. After washing the car the first time, I noticed how many marks and dings were in the doors. A week later I found out about warped rotors. The front seats were covered with ink pen marks and there were numerous scratches in the interior. Other than this, the engine and tranny were well maintained (no complaints there). I did buy the Hertz warranty and had to use it once when the coils went bad.

This is the real kicker. I always noticed that the material in the back seat seemed stiff and no matter what I did, it would not "loosen up". I had the car a year and few months and decided to sell (255hp and a 6spd convinced me). When I started to clean the back seat and the carpet in the floor, it started to change color. A pink hue was starting to appear on the tan carpet. I rubbed more and the pink started coming through even stronger. I decided to stop. I pulled the front seats forward and thoroughly examined the carpet. Either red paint, koolaid, softdrink, etc.. was spilled all over the back seat and in the carpet. Hertz painted the carpet to match the interior and cover it up. Unfortunately when I sold the car, I did the same thing but I was happy to get rid of it. It was not the kind of keeper car I wanted.
Old 11-21-2003, 04:43 PM

Its rental too :

Short movie (needs Divx codecs to view)
Old 11-21-2003, 05:23 PM

we had a rental Toyota Celica. What a POS !!!!! It gave out after 219,000 miles... man were we ****ed, lol. And this was on a motor that we changed the oil religiously every 12k miles. hehehe
Old 11-21-2003, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Sterling2000
we had a rental Toyota Celica. What a POS !!!!! It gave out after 219,000 miles... man were we ****ed, lol. And this was on a motor that we changed the oil religiously every 12k miles. hehehe

Thats a joke, isn't ?
Old 11-21-2003, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by ZAJOBA
Thats a joke, isn't ?
absolutely ...... we abused that car and it took every bit of punishment we gave it. one of my favorite cars we've had.
Old 11-21-2003, 10:36 PM

DO NOT BUY an ex-rental vehicle. They don't get serviced worth a ****. They make money on the road not on the rack getting it's oil changed. The cars leave the rental fleet at the VERY latest 18k miles and by then the problem is out of their hands and they will be lucky if they have seen maybe 2 oilchanges. They don't care. I know what I'm talking about because I used to work for ERAC. Unless you can get a hold of a car that has been out on a long term rental where the renter has to provide proof of maintenance, I would stay as far away as possible from a rental.
Old 11-21-2003, 10:43 PM
DAP

I work at an airport and always see the rental car employees driving the rental cars like they stole them.
Old 11-21-2003, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by DAP
I work at an airport and always see the rental car employees driving the rental cars like they stole them.
That how all rental cars are treated!!!
Old 11-22-2003, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by Trance Artur
That how all rental cars are treated!!!

Most of us drive our own cars not gentlie
Old 11-22-2003, 05:47 AM

that true . Go ask your self how fast do I through a set of tire. avg maybe two years max. not inc the re92, in that case one year!
Old 11-22-2003, 08:27 AM

I bought my ex-rental 2K GXE with 26K miles. My 2k2 SE has 24K miles. The SE is in much better shape and runs a hell of a lot better than my GXE did. The interior in the SE is a little dirty (that can be easily fixed) but at least it doesn't have markings scratches, cuts, painted carpet, etc...

The bottom line is depends on your answer to the question "How long are you planning on keeping the car?" If you want something that will last 5+ years, buy new. If this is a temporary solution, buy ex-rental. Just remember that if you buy the ex-rental, you are running the a very high chance that you will get a car that has been abused that will not make it for the long haul.
Old 11-22-2003, 09:50 AM
scopium

my car was driven by a old couple who passed away and i bought it at 16k for bout 17000...
everything was fine.... the engine wasnt even broken it yet..

Old 11-22-2003, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by NYC TAR
that true . Go ask your self how fast do I through a set of tire. avg maybe two years max. not inc the re92, in that case one year!
Not sure how but I squeezed three full years out of my RE92s and then I traded the car. Those tires morphed into craptenzas in the rain for sure.
Old 11-22-2003, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by m00se
Those tires morphed into craptenzas in the rain for sure.
Wait... yours weren't blowtenzas the rest of the time? You must have gotten a good pair or something.

On an interesting side note, I see the WRX owners are bringing up the ratings we Maxima owners gave the Potenza RE92s at Tire Rack. They used to have really, really, low ratings. Like in the 2s and 3s.
Old 11-22-2003, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Stereodude
Wait... yours weren't blowtenzas the rest of the time? You must have gotten a good pair or something.

On an interesting side note, I see the WRX owners are bringing up the ratings we Maxima owners gave the Potenza RE92s at Tire Rack. They used to have really, really, low ratings. Like in the 2s and 3s.
I must have been really really lucky or just managed to escape by a thread, no pun intended. I had had the car for about a week when we had some really heavy spring rains. The road I was on was flooding and I was going no more than 25 mph when the car suddenly turned into a yacht and started to float away sideways. Attempts to correct that told me right then that these RainExempt92s had no plans of being remotely safe in wet weather. I used to dread driving on them at the slightest hint of rain. So far the Continentals on my '04 seems to be performing better. Hope that holds true.
Old 11-22-2003, 06:55 PM

25 mph is a joy ride, try a 360 at 75mph with a little bit of water on the road... that gets your heart pumping. Can't wait to try these tires in sleet, snow and other fun stuff..
Old 11-22-2003, 08:03 PM

25 mph is a joy ride, try a 360 at 75mph with a little bit of water on the road... that gets your heart pumping. Can't wait to try these tires in sleet, snow and other fun stuff..
Are you sure you can't wait? That was even worse driving on the slightest hint of ice on the RE92s. I just gave up and stayed home the last time there was ice. Glad I am rid of them now.
Old 11-22-2003, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by mille_3
DO NOT BUY an ex-rental vehicle. They don't get serviced worth a ****. They make money on the road not on the rack getting it's oil changed. The cars leave the rental fleet at the VERY latest 18k miles and by then the problem is out of their hands and they will be lucky if they have seen maybe 2 oilchanges. They don't care. I know what I'm talking about because I used to work for ERAC. Unless you can get a hold of a car that has been out on a long term rental where the renter has to provide proof of maintenance, I would stay as far away as possible from a rental.

Last time I checked (over a year ago) at Hertz, they had a 2k2 Maxima with a little over 20K mi for about 18 kilobucks with all the papers with it. So it's either the car WAS in fact taken some care of or they're lying. And if they are, you can pretty much figure it out and sue them.

But it's still a good idea to have a mechanic take a look at it, b/c the car was driven by many people and even if it was serviced on time there are may be some things that even service people couldn't notice
Old 11-22-2003, 09:56 PM

I worked for rental co. as well, and the company could not keep up w/service schedule. When the location does not have enough cars to handle the summer demand, it will skip the service schedule just to keep that car on the road and make $$. Rental co.s do anything to a car to make a buck on it, like using the cheapest (read: crappiest) parts. 10K off MSRP would equal to buying a bare bone GXE/SE for 17 grand..is not worth it. My advise is to let it go.
Old 11-22-2003, 10:04 PM

But is that any different from any other used car? How will you ever know without seeing actual service receipts or knowing the person that owned the car? Any used car at a dealership could be an ex-rental. Hertz takes their cars to the auction all the time so it's difficult to say that all rental cars are worse than any other used car.
Old 11-22-2003, 11:55 PM

I bought mine from a nissan dealership w/25k mi and it too was an ex-rental from "Hurtz" and I noticed the trans fluid was turning dark already. I did a flush and have changed my oil every 3k mi and I am about to service the trans again at 45k mi. I just turned 43k mi the other day and have not had any problems what so ever. I noticed my ps fluid is pretty dark so that is next on the list to get cervexed I too could not pass up the deal $16,900 about 8 months ago. I'll tell you it was a hell of a step up from a 94 Integra RS 5spd w/o air that ran low 16's!

Dave
02 Maxima SE Best et so far 14.97@92.782
85 El Camino w/GN Drivetrain in the works Et 12.XXX???
Old 11-23-2003, 12:32 AM

I got a ex rental car, its a SE runs great, Rental car companys (most of them) service there cars. Just think about it do you know how often the average person services there car ? Well when you buy a regular used car you dont know who owned it prior to you (in most cases) you also dont know if they took care of it. If you negotiate properly you can get the mfg's warrenty or spend a little more for a extended warrenty (not the dlrs its way marked up) In my deal I got FREE service for 1 year including tire rotations.

The car cost me 17K had 24 miles on it, I inspected the car for excessive wear and it was good to go.

People who rent Maximas are usually in a diffrent class than who
would rent a dodge neon and totally dog it ,Salesman, Business Executives etc.

Depends on what you want. I am kinda cheap so a used rental was alright, at least I didnt have to pay alot of money, and have the same warrenty as if it was new its covered bumper to bumper.

Every situation is diffrent just make sure to check everything, from the brake petals, interior, trunk, fluids, paint, tires, before signing anything.

Good luck !
Old 11-23-2003, 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by m00se
Attempts to correct that told me right then that these RainExempt92s had no plans of being remotely safe in wet weather. .
That's a good one what RE stand for. It's so true, probably exempt from rain.
Old 11-23-2003, 02:03 AM

Buying a car from a ex-rental is a buyer beware. Since you hundreds of people before you driven it. You don't know how it was service and maintained. Every driver drive it different. Like everyone in here said, check the engine, tranny, the whole nine yard to check any telltale of damage or wear. Good luck on buying it.
Old 11-23-2003, 12:39 PM

my was a rental. bought it last summer (2000 GXE) with 26k. no problems so far (only a tranny TSB)

it is under warranty anyways...so i wasn't worried about it! if you are worried about it...just have it checked out good first.
Old 11-23-2003, 06:38 PM

Wow, I've never heard of rental Maxima's. Now 2.5S Altima's, thats a different story. My cousin bought an ex-rental 3 years ago, it was a 1997 Dodge Stratus. The timing belt popped after a year and the brakes and rotors were changed, and 2 o2 sensors were replaced, but other than that, the car ran great. However it was unfortunately stolen about a month ago. . .
Old 11-23-2003, 06:42 PM

You should be worried that I may have rented it
Old 11-23-2003, 07:17 PM

Myself and almost everybody I know beats on rentals like they're stolen. I wouldn't buy an ex rental without a _serious_ discount, so that I can save up the money for when the engine and/or tranny die. They're just beaten on too hard. And even if myself and others like me are a small minority when you're putting 200 rough miles on a car out of 1000 that can be pretty bad.

I don't go out of my way to abuse them, mind you. It's just that frankly the thing isn't mine and I will drive it how I'd LIKE to drive my car, but wouldn't due to wear and tear. So, I'll accelerate quicker more often. Some people are deliberately abusive. I'm not, I'm merely harder on the car.

I saw a page recently where somebody had hooked up nitro to a rental neon and took it to the track running the 1/4 in under 14. You just never know with a rental
Old 11-23-2003, 07:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sterling2000

sorry to break it to you homie...you're supposed to change oil religiously every three thousand
Old 11-23-2003, 07:56 PM

Unless you have the car checked thoroughly by a good mechanic, I would stay away from buying rentals. Why not buy a certified Max from a Nissan dealer? May be a bit more expensive than from a rental place, at least you have the peace of mind.
Old 11-23-2003, 08:16 PM

my 2k Max was a rental from Enterprise. it was purchased by CarMax and that is who i purchased it from. so, i DID purchase it from a "good mechanic" and it WAS "certified" by CarMax.

everyone is going to have a different opinon on this one.

doesn't look like anyone has really answered your question. i know several guys who work at Enterprise and say that their vehicles ARE in fact serviced reqularly and taken pretty good care of (service wise...who will ever know how the renters take care of them).

again, if it is under warranty...what is the worry? my wife and i have been lucky (knock on wood) with ours.

actually, we just bought a 2003 Infiniti QX4 from CarMax also that was also a former rental car from Enterprise...no problems so far with it as well.
Old 11-23-2003, 08:28 PM

I guess what it comes down to is that you'll never know the true history of any used car, rental or not. I think I'd rather buy an ex-rental with 15 - 20K miles left under warranty then a regular used car from a dealer with 40K miles for the same price.

I tried several different Maxima's before I decided on this one and some are definitely more abused than others. Mine had some scratches and stuff but it was all taken care of by a professional body shop.

I never understood why people abuse rental cars.. Must be a certain mentality.
Old 11-23-2003, 08:31 PM

that abuse video makes me sick. It's beyond me why a bunch of @$$holes would treat a beautiful car like that.

Quick Reply: Ex-rental car