5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

where the max's power?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2003, 06:39 AM

where the max's power?

ok well i don't know what it is, but my maxima seems to have trouble going over 80 like if there is somthing stopping it. i mean the car is a stock automatic 2000 SE and with 96000 miles. well once im at 80mph i seems like there is no more power i mean it takes time just to get to 90 from 80 and then to get to 100 even more. by some posts here i mean the car should easily get to 100 so thats why im confused. I really want opinions or you guys know the answer tell me. thanx to all in advance.
Old 11-23-2003, 08:21 AM
Cletus

there is something wrong, it shouldnt do that. my auto 2000 pulls even that high. not a quick as at lower speeds but it still pulls.
Old 11-24-2003, 08:07 AM

I had a Contour that did that a while back. Turns out the catalytic converter was messed up. Maybe you can ask a Nissan dealer.
Old 11-24-2003, 10:54 AM

did you replaced your spark plug at 6K, if not it is probabilty toosted. that can cause the hestation.
DO NOT WAIT UNTIL 10K PLEASE.
Old 11-24-2003, 12:28 PM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Originally Posted by CRIS_Y2K_SE
ok well i don't know what it is, but my maxima seems to have trouble going over 80 like if there is somthing stopping it. i mean the car is a stock automatic 2000 SE and with 96000 miles. well once im at 80mph i seems like there is no more power i mean it takes time just to get to 90 from 80 and then to get to 100 even more. by some posts here i mean the car should easily get to 100 so thats why im confused. I really want opinions or you guys know the answer tell me. thanx to all in advance.
what kind of service work has been done so far? ive noticed above 60 & between 80 with my auto there is a lag that is not felt in any other speed. i can nail it at 60 and bypass it. with the the o/d off, its even worse. there are probably some maintenance issues that could help it but my lag is there and the only thing that has not been changed is my fuel filter.
Old 11-24-2003, 12:59 PM

how is your gas mileage and cold starts?
Old 11-25-2003, 09:06 AM

gas mileage is fine, but i've noticed when i go to turn on the car in these past cold a$$ mornings the car wants to shut down, i mean the car literaly shakes like it wants to turn off so then i have to rev the engine and try to keep it between 1-2 rpm's, if i do that for like 2-3mins then car feels normal, but i don't think i should have to do that. in my previous car all i had to do was turn the car on and leave it there to warm up now i have to stay inside the car for it to get warm.
Old 11-25-2003, 09:50 AM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Originally Posted by CRIS_Y2K_SE
gas mileage is fine, but i've noticed when i go to turn on the car in these past cold a$$ mornings the car wants to shut down, i mean the car literaly shakes like it wants to turn off so then i have to rev the engine and try to keep it between 1-2 rpm's, if i do that for like 2-3mins then car feels normal, but i don't think i should have to do that. in my previous car all i had to do was turn the car on and leave it there to warm up now i have to stay inside the car for it to get warm.
sounds like a coil(s) are going bad. this should typically throw a light but can show symptons for it goes completely out. if it was the maf, i would think it would choke around 3k. i would test the coils and see if you come up with anything. also check for any leaks in the intake where a clamp may have come loose. also, it would be good to see what service has been done so far. could be a fouled plug, clogged fuel filter, etc.
Old 11-25-2003, 10:04 AM

My '00 Se Auto was doing what may be close to your symptoms and is at the shop right now waiting to be picked up. They replaced just about the entire fuel delivery system, (pump,screen,modulator/regulator,contorller,etc). I still need to pick it up to see how they did. Had two other shops look at it one said MAF, didn't buy it and the other said ECM, didn't buy that. Remember not to lock onto all the TSB's too easily you could end up replacing parts that don't need too because of a lazy shop.

I had no power above 5k RPM's the car would go slower the more gas I tried to give it to pull through the lag. It would also stall and/or try to when put into park and left to sit for about 1 minute. Total Dog she was; can't wait to see if my faith will be restored in the ol Maxi-pad. Hasn't been too impressive yet, but I bought a model year that has some bugs so I will be patient until my money runs out and then go back to GM.

I will post an update after my test drive if interested.
Old 11-26-2003, 09:31 AM

yes i am interested to know what the results were, oh and what was the price you paid for repairs?
Old 11-26-2003, 06:28 PM

mine does something real close to this replace plugs cause they were shot and noticed a lot more pickup but it still has a little hesitation.

I have 47,xxx mile on my max and have an extended warranty does anyone think nissan will fix it for free?
Old 11-26-2003, 09:11 PM

a maf sensor can cause that stuff to happen. The check engine light doesnt always go on either, unless it is blown. Then the car wont move at all and will feel as if its about to die out.
Old 11-26-2003, 10:19 PM
drag racing is for wussies

I just dumped some injector cleaner into mine at 71K miles, and I'm finishing my 2nd tank of gas now since then and the car feels totally diff, very eager to drive and all. I used BG44K on my car. Worked great, maybe your Max needs some new coil packs. BTW the 01 Maxima doesn't have a fuel filter, so when its time to clean it- yeah there is one inside the gas tank-but do ya wanna pull the fuel pump out and all to change it ?. This is why stuff like BG44k works good cause it dissolves the sludge in the fuel filter.
Mike J.
Old 12-01-2003, 06:04 AM

Well after $1100 dollars for an entire new fuel delivery system the car idles, and runs great, and gas mileage is up, BELOW 4000rpm's, still has high end bog. Spoke with Dave Burnette over the week and he took the time to go over a few things and we decided to try a new MAF sensor.

Should get it Tues or Weds, I'll follow up again.

By the way,

As said on here before Dave B. is the man!! Took time out of his schedule to talk my Max probs out with me. But I did a ton of research on here BEFORE I called him so I knew I wouldn't be wasting his time.
Old 12-03-2003, 06:29 AM

The new MAF was my cure for my power loss issue 100%. The car is the quickest now since I bought it used 7 months ago.

The MAF failed quietly too, no difinitive codes, no 2000-2500 RPM limp mode, she just was draggin @$$.
Old 12-03-2003, 07:30 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Sooo

What exactly did they replace and how much did you pay? If its the MAF, I am confused as to the 1100 bill?
Old 12-03-2003, 07:37 AM

The $1100 was to fix my stalling, poor idle, and terrible gas mileage problem.

They replaced:
Fuel pump & screen, including sending unit
Fuel "control module"
a few other general service items:
tranny flush
B&G fuel system flush
etc.

That was seperate from me replacing the MAF for my general and more noticeably top end power loss. I probably should have done the MAF first but their work did cure the stalling and mpg issues. Replaced the MAF myself, I know they would want another $300 for that.
Old 12-03-2003, 07:53 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally Posted by MAXSIE
The $1100 was to fix my stalling, poor idle, and terrible gas mileage problem.

They replaced:
Fuel pump & screen, including sending unit
Fuel "control module"
a few other general service items:
tranny flush
B&G fuel system flush
etc.

That was seperate from me replacing the MAF for my general and more noticeably top end power loss. I probably should have done the MAF first but their work did cure the stalling and mpg issues. Replaced the MAF myself, I know they would want another $300 for that.
I am wondering if just replacing the filter would have worked. Since the "whole assembly" is easier to replace, I am wondering if they "ganked" you for pump and screen and sending unit (replaced as a whole like the MAF instead of replacing the failing parts..I know for SURE you did not need a sending unit). My FF was trashed at 28K. And its NOT hard to replace.

You know...hind sight sells for a billion....
Old 12-03-2003, 11:00 AM

Oh I know I got taken for somewhat, you almost always do at a repair shop. But this car was a mess before all this work I got a good deal on the car, even still with the repairs. When I would floor the car it would slow down literally, when I put her in park, she stalled, and my gas mileage was comparable to my 6.0L in the truck!

So two months, three service shops, a near fist fight with a service rep, and one tranny shop later I found someone that could give me a logical diagnosis and ran with it. If I had the tools and garage space I could do the work, I agree with you there. But sometimes, my time is worth more to me than my money, can usually just make more money.

But yes again you are right my **** is still a little sore from that bill.
Old 12-03-2003, 11:26 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally Posted by MAXSIE
Oh I know I got taken for somewhat, you almost always do at a repair shop. But this car was a mess before all this work I got a good deal on the car, even still with the repairs. When I would floor the car it would slow down literally, when I put her in park, she stalled, and my gas mileage was comparable to my 6.0L in the truck!

So two months, three service shops, a near fist fight with a service rep, and one tranny shop later I found someone that could give me a logical diagnosis and ran with it. If I had the tools and garage space I could do the work, I agree with you there. But sometimes, my time is worth more to me than my money, can usually just make more money.

But yes again you are right my **** is still a little sore from that bill.
Oh I was not critisizin' ya. Just hate seeing people pay for things that dont need replaced based upon the laziness of the service shop. I can DEFINATELY understand the time worth more money.

At least she is running, all wounds eventually heal!