5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Looking to replace my Audi A4

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2003, 05:32 AM

Looking to replace my Audi A4

My wife totaled my Audi, so I am now looking for something that is as fun to drive but is a little bigger, just as safe more reliable and around 15K. So it seems to me that a 5th gen Maxima SE 5 Speed fits the bill just nicely.

Is there anything I should know and look for while shopping for a maxima, Also what are some common problems with the 5th gen Maxima
Old 12-02-2003, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by mjbrox
My wife totaled my Audi, so I am now looking for something that is as fun to drive but is a little bigger, just as safe more reliable and around 15K. So it seems to me that a 5th gen Maxima SE 5 Speed fits the bill just nicely.

Is there anything I should know and look for while shopping for a maxima, Also what are some common problems with the 5th gen Maxima
You may want to pick up a copy of the current (January) Motor Trend - they have a write-up on the 2000 - 2003 Maxima for their "Pre-Owned" column. They describe maintenance and reliability to be "nonissues", which has been my experience as well.

The biggest thing to be aware of with the 5th gen. is that in 2002 a new 3.5 l V6 was installed which bumped horsepower up to 255 (from 222 in the previous 3.0 l). The manual SE went to 6 speeds and added HID lights (a blessing and a curse) plus some cosmetic changes. I couldn't be happier with my '01 AE (so pleased, in fact, that I bought it an the end of lease).

Cheers,

Jaeger
Old 12-02-2003, 06:00 AM

AM I going to be able to find a 2002, 6speed for $15K?
Old 12-02-2003, 06:02 AM

02 6spds are rare...have a dealer locate it for you if that is the worst case

I would say for 18k you should find a 02 6spd
Old 12-02-2003, 06:05 AM

Ok, then how much should I pay for a 2001 5 speed, with leather

There is a dealer near me that has a 2000 SE 5speed, with heated leather and bose and he is asking $16k

I know 16k is to much, but how much should I be able to buy that for?
Old 12-02-2003, 06:15 AM

If performance is important but not THE most important thing, consider the 2k1 AE Maxima. It's the best looking 5G IMO + 227hp (5hp more than the non-AE 2k1 Maximas)
Old 12-02-2003, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by F23A4
If performance is important but not THE most important thing, consider the 2k1 AE Maxima. It's the best looking 5G IMO + 227hp (5hp more than the non-AE 2k1 Maximas)

what is this AE you speak of?
Old 12-02-2003, 06:51 AM

what is this AE you speak of?
Aniversery Editon, I got my 2k for $13,200 fully loaded w/heated seats,leather, sunroof, and 17 in wheels. look around you will find a good price
Old 12-02-2003, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by PearlWhtMaX2000
Aniversery Editon, I got my 2k for $13,200 fully loaded w/heated seats,leather, sunroof, and 17 in wheels. look around you will find a good price

There is a dealer near me that has a 2000 SE 5speed, with heated leather and bose and he is asking $16k

Maybe I will swing by and offer 13k
Old 12-02-2003, 07:19 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

2000 (and maybe 2001?) Maxima problem item to consider--Ignition coils. The ignition coils tend to go bad, but there are newer coils for replacement that I believe last much longer.

Also, at least 2K models tend to warp their brake rotors easily... there are brake upgrades available though (from aftermarket rotors i.e. Brembo or Powerslot to the Big Brake kits...)

2002+ possible problem item (especially with aftermarket intake)... MAF sensors going up.

I'm not sure the status of brake problems with 2K1, 2K2 or 2K3.
Old 12-02-2003, 07:20 AM

If you test-drive the 2K 5-speed and it has warped rotors, see if you can use that to your advantage in negotiation
Old 12-02-2003, 07:24 AM

Our 2k SE auto has been painless except for the rotor problem in the 46k miles we put on it. Good luck!
Old 12-02-2003, 07:54 AM

"There is a dealer near me that has a 2000 SE 5speed, with heated leather and bose and he is asking $16k

Maybe I will swing by and offer 13k" I wouldn't waste your breath unless it has high miles

I'd lean towards the 2002 if you can, because of the huge HP bump and cosmetic upgrades. I locally saw a 2002 6 speed for 16,900 with 9k miles. However, that's around 3k I think below KBB and I've not seen anything similar recently. $15k you won't be likely to get into a 2002 unless it's a base GXE. You could get a 2001 though.

As spirilis mentioned the rotors can get warped easily in the older 5th gens (my 2000 is starting to throb a bit under braking but I am not going to replace them for a while yet), coils will likely need replacing in an 00 if they haven't already been, and you may get check engine lights sometimes for bad o2 sensors.

Really though these are nothing to get majorly worked up about and unless you buy coils straight from a dealer no issues are particularly expensive either. For the price, a used maxima is a killer buy. It smokes most cars on the road, is large, gets decent mileage, won't kill you on insurance, and has solid reliability. I briefly considered an A4 when we bought our maxima last year and realized that for the same price I'd be getting a higher mileage and/or older Audi, which couldn't hold a candle to the maxima in terms of speed (on the highway anyway; who cares about auto cross?), maintenance, and interior room.
Old 12-02-2003, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by SkoorbMax
"There is a dealer near me that has a 2000 SE 5speed, with heated leather and bose and he is asking $16k

Maybe I will swing by and offer 13k" I wouldn't waste your breath unless it has high miles

I'd lean towards the 2002 if you can, because of the huge HP bump and cosmetic upgrades. I locally saw a 2002 6 speed for 16,900 with 9k miles. However, that's around 3k I think below KBB and I've not seen anything similar recently. $15k you won't be likely to get into a 2002 unless it's a base GXE. You could get a 2001 though.

As spirilis mentioned the rotors can get warped easily in the older 5th gens (my 2000 is starting to throb a bit under braking but I am not going to replace them for a while yet), coils will likely need replacing in an 00 if they haven't already been, and you may get check engine lights sometimes for bad o2 sensors.

Really though these are nothing to get majorly worked up about and unless you buy coils straight from a dealer no issues are particularly expensive either. For the price, a used maxima is a killer buy. It smokes most cars on the road, is large, gets decent mileage, won't kill you on insurance, and has solid reliability. I briefly considered an A4 when we bought our maxima last year and realized that for the same price I'd be getting a higher mileage and/or older Audi, which couldn't hold a candle to the maxima in terms of speed (on the highway anyway; who cares about auto cross?), maintenance, and interior room.
The one I was talking about has 45k miles,
Thanks for you points now I am going to defend my Audi.
The Audi A4 is a sweet a$$ car, the AWD systems can not be beat. I loved how small the outside was and big the inside was. Long term cost is an issue with all german cars, As for Autocross...well it is a blast, I will do a few Autocross events in the Maxima also. Not to compeat, but just for fun.
Old 12-02-2003, 10:26 AM
2-Wheelin it...

The Audi A4 is a sweet a$$ car, the AWD systems can not be beat. I loved how small the outside was and big the inside was. Long term cost is an issue with all german cars, As for Autocross...well it is a blast, I will do a few Autocross events in the Maxima also. Not to compeat, but just for fun.
i posted this in the NE forum, but i'll tell you as well. there's a 2k SE 5speed for sale here in NYC for $9,995. i saw it this morning walking to work. the color is dark silver. not sure if it had leather or not, but i would be more than happy to check for you and any other information if you really are interested.
Old 12-02-2003, 10:31 AM

The Maxima is a fabulous car, I love mine. However, before you buy it make sure you have a dealer in your area that is not a sh|t for brains.

Hunt around the forum and you will find the good, the bad and the ugly side of Nissan service.
Old 12-02-2003, 10:44 AM

Yea, pleae email me info at mjbrox@yahoo.com,
If you could get the VIN that would be great also

Originally Posted by PoLo
i posted this in the NE forum, but i'll tell you as well. there's a 2k SE 5speed for sale here in NYC for $9,995. i saw it this morning walking to work. the color is dark silver. not sure if it had leather or not, but i would be more than happy to check for you and any other information if you really are interested.
Old 12-02-2003, 10:45 AM

I am not worried about good dealers, because I would either do the work myself or take it to my father-in -law

Originally Posted by bert
The Maxima is a fabulous car, I love mine. However, before you buy it make sure you have a dealer in your area that is not a sh|t for brains.

Hunt around the forum and you will find the good, the bad and the ugly side of Nissan service.
Old 12-02-2003, 11:09 AM

I'm not familiar with 2k-2k1
as far as 2k2-2k3 goes, the hp went from 222 to 255 (advertised lol) and there is a big jump in the torque too.
You also get HID

If there is only a 1k to 2k difference, I strongly suggest you to look into 2k2-2k3

Good luck finding your next car
Old 12-02-2003, 11:22 AM

I had an Audi A4 before my 03 Maxima. The Max is nowhere near as fun to drive as the A4. It's not even a fair comparison. Reliability however, the Max wins hands down. Man, that Audi was a POS.
Old 12-02-2003, 11:25 AM

*sigh*
I miss the Audi already, But I need to spend less than 15k, So it is either a maxima or Jetta.

Originally Posted by Nismo3point5
I had an Audi A4 before my 03 Maxima. The Max is nowhere near as fun to drive as the A4. It's not even a fair comparison. Reliability however, the Max wins hands down. Man, that Audi was a POS.
Old 12-02-2003, 11:29 AM
Banned

yea i have had my 00 gxe for about a year and a half, and i have had it in the shop one time for a sensor problem. i also must say that i ride it hard and regularly do 100+. i race all the time and it is still running like the day i bought it. i think it is because of the good engine quality, the 3.0 engine has been in the consumer reports ten best engings for nine years you know. just my 0.02 cents.
Old 12-02-2003, 11:30 AM

I'll defend the Audi... ORG Members dont get it twisted- you will kill
yourself trying to keep up w/ an stock A4 on the twisties wether you have
$1500 worth of suspension mods or not-

I too considered one but could not get into the back seat (legroom blows)
The car is suited for shorter people (and I'm 5'10") But the car is solid/surefooted and feels quicker than it is ..

MJBROX just be carefull on the cars you come across and have an independent mecanic take a look at it- (specially if buying in NYC- most MT Maxima owners
have beaten on their cars a good deal)
Old 12-02-2003, 11:31 AM

Maybe I will swing by and offer 13k

Yeah i would def try. find all little scratches inside and out and tell them. thats how i talked my price down so low.
Old 12-02-2003, 12:55 PM

Don't Do It!!!!

I bought an '03 Maxima and hated the car from the first time I took it to the dealer (one week after buying it). Kept it a whole 3 months and took a bath when I traded it in. Be sure to drive one (the exact model you want), the suspension on '03 SE's are really bad (crashing, bottoming and banging). I am really glad I dumped it though, I never before actually hated a car, but this one I really hated. I called it my Japanese Ford. I will never buy a Nissan product again.
Old 12-02-2003, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by daveful
I bought an '03 Maxima and hated the car from the first time I took it to the dealer (one week after buying it). Kept it a whole 3 months and took a bath when I traded it in. Be sure to drive one (the exact model you want), the suspension on '03 SE's are really bad (crashing, bottoming and banging). I am really glad I dumped it though, I never before actually hated a car, but this one I really hated. I called it my Japanese Ford. I will never buy a Nissan product again.
Why still hang around the forum then? Just curious.
Old 12-02-2003, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by daveful
Stop already with the LIES... you never owned a Nissan-anything!

If you did own a Max you would be in LuV right now!...

...and try to take a bath more often than just once every three months!

G
Old 12-02-2003, 04:31 PM

I got my base SE (with sunroof) and 6 speed for $14.5k. I wasnt too fixated on leather, since i will probably upgrade to an aftermarket brand (katskin possibley- unless someone has another suggestion). I've driven both of the 5th gen's, and have to say that the 3.5L engine is definately worth the extra couple G's. Unless performance isnt your main fetish in a car, then a 2k1 AE is definately the way to go..............but trust me, that engine is nothing like its bigger brother.
Old 12-02-2003, 04:50 PM

I guess our biggest problem is craving for more power, but seriously I would suggest that you either buy a 2K1 SE AE 5 speed or 2k2 + 6 speed. I have an auto but I dream of the manual tranny day swap...

Cheers

AA
Old 12-02-2003, 06:41 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I have driven both my Maxima and by buddies A4 with 2.8 engine at the track (road course). The HP advantage of my 2000 max is more than enough to easily produce faster laps than in his A4. When the track is wet, that levels the playing field quite a bit.

His A4, 1998 I believe, has had alot of mechanical problems, while my Maxima, now at 75,000 miles has only had the typical blown MAF and warped stock disks, both fixed around 30-37K under the factory warranty.

My opinion is to get whatever you want. The Maxima is an awesome choice, and will provide you with ample thrills! For the money, it is probably the best compromise of performance and practicality in a 4 door sedan, bar none.

Have fun!

Jason
2K Maxima GXE 5sp
Old 12-02-2003, 06:46 PM
vsamoylov

AM I going to be able to find a 2002, 6speed for $15K?
if you want a max, my bro got one. He is seliing his 2000 max with 3.5 and 6 speed swap. $15. email him at msamoylov@yahoo.com if interested.

Old 12-02-2003, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by vsamoylov
if you want a max, my bro got one. He is seliing his 2000 max with 3.5 and 6 speed swap. $15. email him at msamoylov@yahoo.com if interested.
i never heard of this swap...pics? threads?
Old 12-03-2003, 05:52 AM

I dont belive that swap went too well if he's selling............
Old 12-03-2003, 11:06 AM

Shop Around!

I am not worried about good dealers, because I would either do the work myself or take it to my father-in -law
I just went through the same thing about 3 months ago. I wanted the 5 or 6 speed and needed to stay around the same price point. I only found a couple 5 speeds (00/01) and like 1- 6 speed 02 within 70 miles. The 02 was way out of my range, but got to drive it and shouldn't have! (will have one one day!) But found that the others 00 and 01's all drove and ran a bit different. Places like small town used car dealers don't seem to get top pick on auction/lease cars. I also found out that dealerships in general don't like to keep 5-speeds on their lots. Manual's are not that high of demand compared to autos and also take longer to sell off (in most cases). If you find one you like, look up the KBB and Edmunds pricing and have it in hand. Walk away after they say they can't come down anymore, and watch them run to stop you. I got them to drop like 5k off the asking price of 20K of mine (Way overpriced, but very clean and low miles). Oh yeah get them to throw in an inspection or some oil changes too. Every little bit helps!

I love my mine! good luck
Old 12-03-2003, 11:28 AM
vsamoylov

everything went well. works perfect. selling because need money
http://members.cardomain.com/vasiliy

Old 12-03-2003, 11:54 AM

My previous car was a 1993 Audi 90 cs. Here's a little comparison between the 2:

Benefits of Maxima

- looks better than the old a$$ Audi

- much more power

- much more room

- quiet engine

- HIDs

- cheaper maintenance

Cons of Maxima

- handles like $hit compared to the audi, even after all the handling mods

- very thin body structure, dents easily, a lot of exterior noise...

- paint chips like a bit(h

- EXTREMELY cheap interior that rattles (I took my whole interior apart and sound/rattle proofed as much as possible)

- nissan service dept blows

Overall, I am satisfied with Max, but I know also understand why they're priced much less than other cars of similar size, power and features.
Old 12-03-2003, 01:34 PM
OG and counting...

Before you purchase that 5th Gen, do the following:

a) Read the TSB sticky in this forum to read about different issues on 5th Gens.

b) Pay close attention to the paint on the nose of the car. '00-'03 Maxes have notoriously thin paint which chips very easily.

c) The rotors are a PITA on A33s. I went through 2 sets of front rotors because of the warping issue on my '02 that I had. If you get a '00 - '01, you may be able to get Brembo Blanks (much better rotor IMHO).

I do agree with everyone else in that you can get a 2k2 for a reasonable price. If you get the six speed, make sure it has the HLSD.
Old 12-03-2003, 02:02 PM

I guess you have the info you need and since it's somewhat of an audi vs. maxima thread I will say that although an audi kills a max in the twisties how much does that really matter in everyday driving? I've yet to squeel my max around corners (Where the heck can I do that without a cop nailing me? I'm not 16 anymore and I do worry about that!), but I've floored it many times from stops, highway, etc. and an audi will lose there.

Plus, the nissan service department does suck. But, since it's a nissan and not an Audi/VW you won't need to be there everyday. For such an expensive car audis/VWs really have some sorry *** issues. The powertrain may be strong but everything else seems to fall apart around it, and that's why VW gets top honours in a recent JD powers (I believe) for crappy initial build quality issues. Audi can't be much better

That said, I love ronin the movie and the S8 that they have in it. Whoo hoo!!
Old 12-03-2003, 04:18 PM
retired moderator

*sigh*
I miss the Audi already, But I need to spend less than 15k, So it is either a maxima or Jetta.
DO NOT BUY A JETTA!! My wife has had nothing but stupid things break on her Jetta....windows, blown O2 sensors, windows again, windowns again, windows again, and some other small annoying things.....wITH THE jETTA, YOU ARE NO MORE RELIABLE THAN AN a4, AND i THINK YOU SAID ABOVE YOU ARE LOOKING FOR RELIABILITY, RIGHT?aS FOR THE mAXIMA, THERE ARE ABOUT 8 nISSAN DEALERS IN THE dc AREA. Oops sorry bout the caps. But from experieance, I know it's tought to find a 5th gen stick shift since everyone here buys autos to sit in rush hour traffic every day...Might check Herb Gordon Nissan up in Md., I still keep getting their email updates, and sounds like they have good selection and good prices.
Old 12-03-2003, 04:23 PM

My wife has a VW Beetle and its had numerous electrical problems with her car (windows/alarm/radio/headlights)PITA

Quick Reply: Looking to replace my Audi A4