5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Hit a deer.

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2003, 03:01 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Hit a deer.

Well I was coming home early this morning around 12:50pm from a drag race up in Jackson, SC at the Carolina Dragway. Anyway, I was following a whole group of car's that were all headed to Statesboro, but I needed to go to Savannah. So we happened to pass a sign that pointed to Savannah, so I did a u-turn and headed back down the road. I turned on the road and not even 5 miles down I hit a ****ing deer. The damage is bad, but not enough to total it; at least I don't think it is. Both my front airbags deployed, both headlights are broken, the hood is folded up, the raidiator is pushed close to my engine and my little 1BADMAX tag is gone. One good thing did come out of this though and that is the damn deer is dead. Anyway, I'm fine, but now I'll have to go through all the b.s. with insurance to get it fixed and everything else that comes with having an accident. Oh well, **** happens I guess.
Old 12-07-2003, 03:51 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Glad you alright. Ive seen quite a few deer out here in ATL area as well. I live 40miles north of ATL and they really flocking around on the country roads here at night. Definetely got to slow down and watch for them.

Take the deer home for dinner though?
Old 12-07-2003, 05:50 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You story sounds a lot like mine when I hit a deer about 2 months ago. Fortunately, the air bags did not deploy in my case, but the rest was the same. Without the airbags, your damage is approx. $7k. One thing to look out for when you get it repaired is the hood. I know mine is an OEM replacement, but it seems more flimsy than the original. It visibly shakes on the highway and bumps at speed, something the original did not. In any case, that's something to look out for.
Old 12-07-2003, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by Y2K2Driver
You story sounds a lot like mine when I hit a deer about 2 months ago. Fortunately, the air bags did not deploy in my case, but the rest was the same. Without the airbags, your damage is approx. $7k. One thing to look out for when you get it repaired is the hood. I know mine is an OEM replacement, but it seems more flimsy than the original. It visibly shakes on the highway and bumps at speed, something the original did not. In any case, that's something to look out for.
Same here: The hood seems to move when at highway speeds and that worries me at times.
Old 12-07-2003, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by 1BADMAX
Well I was coming home early this morning around 12:50pm from a drag race up in Jackson, SC at the Carolina Dragway. Anyway, I was following a whole group of car's that were all headed to Statesboro, but I needed to go to Savannah. So we happened to pass a sign that pointed to Savannah, so I did a u-turn and headed back down the road. I turned on the road and not even 5 miles down I hit a ****ing deer. The damage is bad, but not enough to total it; at least I don't think it is. Both my front airbags deployed, both headlights are broken, the hood is folded up, the raidiator is pushed close to my engine and my little 1BADMAX tag is gone. One good thing did come out of this though and that is the damn deer is dead. Anyway, I'm fine, but now I'll have to go through all the b.s. with insurance to get it fixed and everything else that comes with having an accident. Oh well, **** happens I guess.
Yeah, in northwest GA there are too many deer. I've nearly hit some at least five times in my neighborhood. They are a huge nuisance to landscaping as well, our neighbor had about $2k worth of plants etc. eaten by them.

Anyone that hits a deer with their car in our neighborhood and kills it would be considered a hero.
Old 12-07-2003, 02:18 PM
Wild at Hurt

Yeah been there. In most of the country they badly need to be thinned out.
With all the genetic engineering going on they should splice in some Firefly genes.
If the damn things would light up every few seconds we would stand a chance.
Old 12-07-2003, 02:25 PM
LithiuMax

Aww crap man, sorry to hear that shiit. Hope your Max comes out better than before, although that's probably unlikely Maybe it will be totalled and you can get something better

Old 12-07-2003, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by MaximaPolak
Same here: The hood seems to move when at highway speeds and that worries me at times.
my stock one does the same shiit. at high speeds im worried i might end up with a hoodless maxi.

badmax hate to hear it. i just spoke with u. u have my regards.

will