5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Lack of power at lower speeds? UPDATE

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2003, 01:22 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Lack of power at lower speeds? UPDATE

OK, few days ago i posted about my 2003 Max SE w/AT (27k miles) that was showing lack of power between 30-40mph when i floor it.
Some of you here said that this was normal and that this was a known "weak spot" for the AT Maximas. Others said that it is not normal.

However, that same day, after i posted here, on my way back home my car was running fine - there was no "weak spot" at any speed, any gear...it was pulling strong any time i tapped the gas pedal. I was surprised and happy.
It ran fine the next day but then i felt the "weak spot" again. The car became sluggish between 30-40mph when flored. Then, next time i drove it it was fine again. ?!?!?! This is weird!!!
So i started paying more attention to when exactly this is happening and i think i discovered the pattern. Everytime i drive the car on the highway for some time and then i get in the city - that weird "weak spot" in power appears. If i stop, turn off the engine and then start it again - the car is fine again. I take it on the freeway for few mile, problem comes back. Same fix works again.
The car runs fine on the freeway, i haven't noticed any isssues yet. NO warning lights at any time.

Any ideas why this is happening? Any solutions?

I saw that on Nissan's web site there is a TSB called "lack of power" for the 2003 model. However, how do i describe this strange issue to the dealer? He won't believe me...its not something that happens all the time, plus - its strange. Could there still be any error codes stored even though there is no warning light on ?? I want to fix this somehow, so please help!

Thanks!
Old 12-11-2003, 07:35 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

No codes...it took me months to finally convince my dealer that there really was a problem. I even took two different service techs for rides to provie it to them. Finally, I had the TSB performed...
Old 12-11-2003, 05:45 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by dansmax2003
OK, few days ago i posted about my 2003 Max SE w/AT (27k miles) that was showing lack of power between 30-40mph when i floor it.
Some of you here said that this was normal and that this was a known "weak spot" for the AT Maximas. Others said that it is not normal.

However, that same day, after i posted here, on my way back home my car was running fine - there was no "weak spot" at any speed, any gear...it was pulling strong any time i tapped the gas pedal. I was surprised and happy.
It ran fine the next day but then i felt the "weak spot" again. The car became sluggish between 30-40mph when flored. Then, next time i drove it it was fine again. ?!?!?! This is weird!!!
So i started paying more attention to when exactly this is happening and i think i discovered the pattern. Everytime i drive the car on the highway for some time and then i get in the city - that weird "weak spot" in power appears. If i stop, turn off the engine and then start it again - the car is fine again. I take it on the freeway for few mile, problem comes back. Same fix works again.
The car runs fine on the freeway, i haven't noticed any isssues yet. NO warning lights at any time.

Any ideas why this is happening? Any solutions?

I saw that on Nissan's web site there is a TSB called "lack of power" for the 2003 model. However, how do i describe this strange issue to the dealer? He won't believe me...its not something that happens all the time, plus - its strange. Could there still be any error codes stored even though there is no warning light on ?? I want to fix this somehow, so please help!

Thanks!
I have exactly the same problem. When I go into work in the mornings, I avoid the highway and the car runs great. But on my way home, I'm on the highway for a little while and as soon as I get off, the car seems sluggish. Doesn't want to rev as freely, and it seems like it needs more throttle to get it moving. I'm waiting to try to get the lack of power tbs done as well. I printed it out and am going to take it in with me one of these days. I always thought it was weird that my Max seemed to run better in the morning than in the afternoons.

If you're not sure how to decribe it to the dealer, then print the tsb out and take it with you.