5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

quick audio question.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2003, 08:59 PM

quick audio question.

i need a quick response and the audio section is empty. does the 2002 non-bose h/u have 6 channels? if not, how do they have the tweeters and woofers wired to the h/u?
Old 12-11-2003, 09:02 PM

They use crossovers, mid and bass go to the door, all the highs go to the tweeter...
Old 12-11-2003, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by jattmax
They use crossovers, mid and bass go to the door, all the highs go to the tweeter...
where are these crossovers located at?
Old 12-11-2003, 09:28 PM

My guess would be either in the door, or behind the headunit... I work for NNA, If you dont find out let me know, I'll get you information.

Harjot
harjot@harjothundal.com
Old 12-11-2003, 11:12 PM

My guess would be either in the door, or behind the headunit... I work for NNA, If you dont find out let me know, I'll get you information.

Harjot
harjot@harjothundal.com
wel we have the panel off and we do not see them. any info regarding where the crossovers are and how to remove the dash would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-12-2003, 10:05 PM

mine is a bose...but I would really like to know too...thanks
Old 12-14-2003, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by maxu4ia
mine is a bose...but I would really like to know too...thanks
hasnt anyone out there installed their own h/u???
Old 12-14-2003, 10:37 PM

Sorry ive taken some time to respond, however I would think that though crossovers are used, you should still have only 1 lead wire per channel going back to the headunit... for installing an aftermarket headunit, just hook up the corresponding harness wires to the aftermarket hu.

Hope this helps...
Old 12-15-2003, 12:41 AM

Sorry ive taken some time to respond, however I would think that though crossovers are used, you should still have only 1 lead wire per channel going back to the headunit... for installing an aftermarket headunit, just hook up the corresponding harness wires to the aftermarket hu.

Hope this helps...

well ive hooked up the speakers now and im buying a wiring harness for the h/u. i just need to find the crossovers and i hope they are behind the h/u? and if there is 1 channel for the mid and tweet, how do i run a crossover for the 2?
Old 12-15-2003, 06:57 AM

There are no crossovers in the doors or behind the headunit. The door speakers are not crossed over at all. The tweeters use caps (at the tweeter) as a crossover. Once you pull the tweets, you'll see what I'm talking about.

As for wiring an aftermarket crossover, here's what you do...

(1) take output from deck/amps into your x-over
(2) take mid output from x-over to the doors (you can tap the leads right behind the deck)
(3) run new speaker wire from your x-over tweeter outputs to the tweeters you installed

You're done and ready to go.
Old 12-15-2003, 07:36 AM
2-Wheelin it...

Originally Posted by DougJones
There are no crossovers in the doors or behind the headunit. The door speakers are not crossed over at all. The tweeters use caps (at the tweeter) as a crossover. Once you pull the tweets, you'll see what I'm talking about.

(2) take mid output from x-over to the doors (you can tap the leads right behind the deck)
(3) run new speaker wire from your x-over tweeter outputs to the tweeters you installed

just agreeing with DougJones. there are no big xovers. that would cost money, something nissan is not a fan of. there are small capacitors (REAL SMALL) physically on the tweeter mount. those act as filters and stop low bass frequencies from passing. is it the best, hardly but it's something good.
i only say this in comparison to other cars stock stereo's. my crv's stereo sucks, so even though some of us dont' like the nissan non bose units, it's actually impressive compared to others. although i must say, the stock infiniti systems are pretty nice.
Old 12-15-2003, 10:06 AM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Agreed with the crossovers. Although when adding your own aftermarket components it is Highly recommended to run them with an amp and NOT with HU power.

--Don
Old 12-15-2003, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by PoLo
just agreeing with DougJones. there are no big xovers. that would cost money, something nissan is not a fan of. there are small capacitors (REAL SMALL) physically on the tweeter mount. those act as filters and stop low bass frequencies from passing. is it the best, hardly but it's something good.
i only say this in comparison to other cars stock stereo's. my crv's stereo sucks, so even though some of us dont' like the nissan non bose units, it's actually impressive compared to others. although i must say, the stock infiniti systems are pretty nice.

hmm. i got my hopes up thinking they had xovers. but i removed the whole tweeter setup from the a pillar and put my tweeters in. so i ned to put my xovers on. how do i wire from the tweeter to the h/u? and will i have to run wire from the woofer to the xover also? and where should i mounth the xovers.
Old 12-15-2003, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Pearl96Max
Agreed with the crossovers. Although when adding your own aftermarket components it is Highly recommended to run them with an amp and NOT with HU power.

--Don
Yes indeed. Please, if you have gone through the expense of getting seperates, use a good amp and not deck power
Old 12-15-2003, 01:59 PM

Yes indeed. Please, if you have gone through the expense of getting seperates, use a good amp and not deck power
well i have a 2 channel amp that i can run but i dont wanna install it because it takes alot of work and i dont want 2 amps running on my alternator and battery. i know deck power is not gonna show how good these speakers are but they will be loud and clear enough for me.
Old 12-15-2003, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by slickrick
well i have a 2 channel amp that i can run but i dont wanna install it because it takes alot of work and i dont want 2 amps running on my alternator and battery. i know deck power is not gonna show how good these speakers are but they will be loud and clear enough for me.
What two amps do you have? As for the install, come on man, nut up and get it done
Old 12-15-2003, 02:26 PM

What two amps do you have? As for the install, come on man, nut up and get it done
it took me forever ot install my components and i have finals and im going home for winter break so my friend cant help me and they are his tools. i have an mtx 250 watt amp running my 2 10s but i have a jbl 600.1 coming tomorrow. i can use the mtx amp to power the fronts but then i have to run wire from the amp, to the speakers and to the h/u. im too lazy and plus i havent even installed my xovers yet which wil take a long time plus my new pioneer 8500mp hu. see... the amp can wait.
Old 12-16-2003, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by slickrick
it took me forever ot install my components and i have finals and im going home for winter break so my friend cant help me and they are his tools. i have an mtx 250 watt amp running my 2 10s but i have a jbl 600.1 coming tomorrow. i can use the mtx amp to power the fronts but then i have to run wire from the amp, to the speakers and to the h/u. im too lazy and plus i havent even installed my xovers yet which wil take a long time plus my new pioneer 8500mp hu. see... the amp can wait.
Whew.... got a lot going on don't you? Well, if you ever decide to install the amps, you won't have any problems feeding them enough current.

Have fun.