5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

two questions for the enthusiasts

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2003, 04:46 PM

two questions for the enthusiasts

1) does clear sides with red and amber bulbs look good? if someone has pictures on their homepage just post something. thanks

2) Since the noreaster in Boston, I didnt use my max for about 7 days straight, and when I started up my car today, it made this loud clanky sound at the beginning, and then it was back to normal, does this happen usually to cars that havent been used for a long time?

Appreciate the advice guys.
Old 12-13-2003, 06:24 PM

I like the stock corners over clear corners..just my opinion though
Old 12-13-2003, 07:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

yeah colored bulbs look okay. and i think that was the cold start rattle.
Old 12-13-2003, 07:34 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Thats an Amber LED bulb I have in the Max ....I dont have pics of rear...sorry. I have Red LEDS there too..

Old 12-14-2003, 12:55 AM

Here's a pic of red polargs

Pic of what I have on my Max now - RED LEDs

PIAA Ion Yellows

There's more pics on page 2 of homepage.
Old 12-14-2003, 08:59 AM

thanks for the pics guys, they look nice, I dont want to fail the inspection that coming up in one month. Payce
Old 12-14-2003, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by maximo-SE
thanks for the pics guys, they look nice, I dont want to fail the inspection that coming up in one month. Payce
luckily in Jersey any vehicle purchased model year '01 and up have 4 years before next inspection....

I hear ya thought- when i got my clears my instinct at the time was to get hyperwhites-but its like playing with fire

- now i'm feelin the led's kloogy and rocketmax got (rear dont look pink)
Old 12-14-2003, 11:32 AM
Burn Dust. Eat my rubber.

They have a TSB for the "rattling" sound @ cold startup. I am taking mine to the dealer tomorrow for that and a bunch of other stuff. Theres a thread somewhere that has a link to the dealer support stuff and Nissan knows about the problem. No biggie from my understanding so don't fret.
Old 12-14-2003, 02:30 PM
I miss the .org!

Check the LIGHTING page of my homepage for pics of amber/red LEDs in the night/day...
Old 12-14-2003, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Triple8Sol
Check the LIGHTING page of my homepage for pics of amber/red LEDs in the night/day...
Hey where did you get your LED's from I saw some on a website but I'm not trying to pay 20 bucks a pair
Old 12-14-2003, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by imxelite
Hey where did you get your LED's from I saw some on a website but I'm not trying to pay 20 bucks a pair
Try
http://www.autolumination.com
http://www.superbrightleds.com

I've also seen them at Wallmart for around $7 a pair.
Old 12-14-2003, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by SgtSchulze
They have a TSB for the "rattling" sound @ cold startup. I am taking mine to the dealer tomorrow for that and a bunch of other stuff. Theres a thread somewhere that has a link to the dealer support stuff and Nissan knows about the problem. No biggie from my understanding so don't fret.
Really.... another tsb huh, damn, ill hold up on that later, because I have my intake on and I dont want no *****ing from the dealers. Ill wait for till 15000, when I have to go in for a tune up.

Hey Triple8Sol - did you use touchup paint to paint the nozzles where the water comes out? ALSO where did u get your red and amber lights? Are they polargs?

Kloogy - which bulbs did you use also, the ones u have from triple are different, just wondering. thanks

Awesome info guys.
Old 12-14-2003, 09:57 PM

As long as you go with red LEDs it should look just fine. I'm very pleased with how mine look.
Old 12-15-2003, 09:38 PM

Hey Maximo-SE, I've also been enjoying the Boston weather (somerville)

I too have a sheer silver SE and I put on clear side marker lenses. I think they really look better than the colored lenses against that body color.

I started out with amber and red incandescent bulbs, but the amber bulbs were washed-out and the red bulbs were pinkish. Not satisfactory IMHO.

Now I have the 4-"bulb" LEDs from superbrightleds.com (WLED-R4 red and WLED-A4 amber). They are OK... I wish they were brighter. They are readily visible at night but I think not quite as bright as the original colored lenses. I was not sure whether the 6-up LEDs would fit and that's why I got the 4s. But at least the colors are saturated.

If I get ambitious I may attempt to glue a patch of crumpled aluminum foil on the white plastic tab inside the bulb housing. The LEDs project most of their light forward against that translucent plastic piece, so much of the light is lost on the wrong side of the lens housing. A piece of aluminum foil would scatter the light back and at least some of it would go through the lens. In theory.

Not sure what will happen when inspection rolls around next year, cross that bridge then. I won't throw away the colored lenses and original white bulbs.
Old 12-16-2003, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by imjd
Hey Maximo-SE, I've also been enjoying the Boston weather (somerville)

I too have a sheer silver SE and I put on clear side marker lenses. I think they really look better than the colored lenses against that body color.

I started out with amber and red incandescent bulbs, but the amber bulbs were washed-out and the red bulbs were pinkish. Not satisfactory IMHO.

Now I have the 4-"bulb" LEDs from superbrightleds.com (WLED-R4 red and WLED-A4 amber). They are OK... I wish they were brighter. They are readily visible at night but I think not quite as bright as the original colored lenses. I was not sure whether the 6-up LEDs would fit and that's why I got the 4s. But at least the colors are saturated.

If I get ambitious I may attempt to glue a patch of crumpled aluminum foil on the white plastic tab inside the bulb housing. The LEDs project most of their light forward against that translucent plastic piece, so much of the light is lost on the wrong side of the lens housing. A piece of aluminum foil would scatter the light back and at least some of it would go through the lens. In theory.

Not sure what will happen when inspection rolls around next year, cross that bridge then. I won't throw away the colored lenses and original white bulbs.

Hahaha, dude you sound like my brother. but thanks for the info, im probably going to ebay them polarg red and amber lights or just go with generic bulbs, wont hurt. thanks