5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

LED bulbs in stereo and climate control

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2003, 06:16 AM
Cletus

LED bulbs in stereo and climate control

i saw a thread about someone who had put LED bulbs in his window and lock switches.
i really dont like the "green" color of the stereo and climate control. im thinking the same thing could be done and the bulbs replaced with LEDs to get a whiter color.
before i do this, has anyone else done or tried to do this?
Old 12-16-2003, 06:49 AM
2-Wheelin it...

Originally Posted by soonerfan
i saw a thread about someone who had put LED bulbs in his window and lock switches.
i really dont like the "green" color of the stereo and climate control. im thinking the same thing could be done and the bulbs replaced with LEDs to get a whiter color.
before i do this, has anyone else done or tried to do this?
it's too cold for me to do this, but i do want to at least put some nice white led's. make the center console look a little cleaner.
i was the one that put led's in the window switches. i'm still not done, but EVERY PERSON that sees it compliments on it.
.org user NY96MAX did his car fully in led's. when i mean fully, i mean locks, windows, climate controls, radio controls, dash, shift ****, under dash, i mean EVERYTHING. and he also tapped it onto a voltage regulator switch, so he can adjust the brightness as well. really is a sick job waht he did. a little TOO much IMO, i would just put a few white ones just to clean up the look, but he did it all over the car. a little overboard, but hey, he said it himself..he's addicted to led's.
and yes, on every led he had to put 470ohm resistors and then run power wires or solder. don't cheap out, resistor on EVERY LED, nothing less.
Old 12-16-2003, 07:00 AM

yeah, i definitely feel the white leds over the green ones..... nice and smooth with aluminum dash.... awwww sh*t!
Old 12-16-2003, 11:24 AM
Cletus

well maybe ill do it and make a write-up.
i opened up the climate control part and there and bulbs in there with rubber "sleeves" over them that create the green color. i removed one sleeve to see what it is like and it looks alot betterbut it still has the yellow tint like the map lights etc. (anyone who has removed the sleeve from the bulb in the ignition will know what i mean)
btw, those bulbs are not soldered on. they are tiny bulbs that twist into a small hole on the curcuit board. i will try and solder LEDs where the bulbs connect. i have no idea how the stereo ones are. will let everyone know how it goes.
Old 12-16-2003, 01:18 PM

i opened up the climate control part and there and bulbs in there with rubber "sleeves" over them that create the green color. i removed one sleeve to see what it is like and it looks alot betterbut it still has the yellow tint like the map lights etc. (anyone who has removed the sleeve from the bulb in the ignition will know what i mean)
btw, those bulbs are not soldered on. they are tiny bulbs that twist into a small hole on the curcuit board. i will try and solder LEDs where the bulbs connect. i have no idea how the stereo ones are. will let everyone know how it goes.
yeah the ignition light was annoying to replace with the blue LEDs, but it was worth it.
Old 12-16-2003, 01:31 PM

Do you think its possible to paint them red with some acrylic paint?
Old 12-16-2003, 01:56 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by ICULookN
yes, but then it would like the interior of a nasty pontiac
Old 12-16-2003, 04:19 PM

maybe i havent looked enough, but before i go considering LED's, how do get the climate control area apart to change the bulb
Old 12-16-2003, 05:55 PM
IgS

Originally Posted by ICULookN
just use some permanent marker and scotch tape and color the buttons from the inside, no need to change the lights...worked for me. check my www link
Old 12-17-2003, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by IgS
just use some permanent marker and scotch tape and color the buttons from the inside, no need to change the lights...worked for me. check my www link
Did you change the color of your clock and climate control also? How difficult is it to remove the CD cover and climate control cover? Your blue lights look real nice.
Old 12-18-2003, 07:57 AM

Awesome lights IGS. SO you colored all the Green back sides of the dash? Again, is it hard? I was messing with my dash the other day, cant seem to remove the Cd part of the dash, something is holding it from my muscular arms from pulling it out. haha
Old 12-18-2003, 08:11 AM

yeah IGS, nice work. you used a sharpie to color the lights on the radio also???
Old 12-18-2003, 01:31 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I haven't seen an answer yet on how to get at the lights. I'm not certain, but I assume my cold/hot slider switch is supposed to be lit at night (it's not). I'm a new Maxima owner and LOVE it! Anyway, I'd like to replace the dead bulb but I don't know how to get behind the faceplate and don't want to break anything.

Feel free to email me with directions or post here.

mtchamber@mindspring.com

Thanks