5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Strut/lowering questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2003, 08:25 PM
retired moderator

Strut/lowering questions

A couple quick questions for you experts out there....
1. Haven't seen alot of posts about Koni shocks....for a few decades Koni was always thought of as the best, but all I see here is Tokico and KYB...any reason for that? How do the Koni's match up? And they are adjustable right?

2. Saw a Koni/Eibach package for $669. First, is this a good deal? Second, how would lowering (listed at 1.3") work with my stock SE 17" rims and stock sized tires? Any rub or anything?Also, how much will this stiffen up the ride - alot?

3. Are there any strut/spring combos out there available that keep stock ride height? (and save me the trouble of messing with spring compression tools, etc. when I replace them)

4. How much should I expect to pay to have front struts installed if I buy them on the net and have a local shop install them? Also, should I get new strut mounts also?

thanks for answering any or all of these questions.
Old 12-17-2003, 08:45 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

can't help you with the first couple, but i do know:

3. why would you want to keep the stock ride height? might as well get all the bang for your buck that you can. not sure about shocks...but i know MaxSpeed springs are one of the least drops - at about 1.5" or so front and 1" or so rear.

a spring compressor is nothing to fear. you can buy cheap ones or rent/borrow nicer ones from you local auto parts stores. and with caution, they are very easy to use.

4. expect to pay around $150-$300 for a full install. before installing my MaxSpeed springs myself last month, i got qoutes from local shop for $40-$80 PER WHEEL.

i'm glad i did the install myself, it was very easy. and saved myself a couple of hundred $. i've got a how-to website. i can give you the link if you are interested.
Old 12-17-2003, 09:19 AM

You do not see much about the Koni because the fronts are inserts. You have to cut and drill on the OEM housing to remove the strut guts, install the insert, and then tighten a bolt going through the bottom of the OEM housing into the insert.

Yes they are adjustable. Good news, fronts can be adjusted from under the hood. Bad news, rear shocks have to be removed to be adjusted. To much of a pain.

In my opinion, the Illumina is better than the Koni's in most every aspect.
Old 12-17-2003, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by fishhouse
i've got a how-to website. i can give you the link if you are interested.
Well what is it?
Old 12-17-2003, 10:40 AM

http://www.kevinfisher.net/web_server/maxima/springs

enjoy!
Old 12-17-2003, 02:59 PM
retired moderator

I asked about keeping stock ride height, because I commute through pothole-ridden Washington DC and really do not want to stiffen up the ride significantly, which (I assume), lowering the car will do. Also, I drive into the mountains to go skiing in bad weather alot and like the max's relatively high ground clearance......btw thanx for the Koni answer, now I see why.

I've done struts on my old accord before, know it's pretty easy....just that it's the middle of winter here and I have no garage to work in!
Old 12-17-2003, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by fishhouse

Great info, thanks.
Old 12-17-2003, 07:29 PM
Wild at Hurt

Irish,
Ive searched or read through hours of info on springs and struts.
Eibach and Koni are good names, But for our application a few like them but most dont. For you in DC I would go Maxspeeds or H&R for springs and KYB GR2 for struts.
Old 12-18-2003, 01:11 PM

lowering will stiffin it some. i've read MaxSpeeds and H&Rs are closest to stock ride. my MaxSpeeds are a little harder...but no big deal - well worth the drop!

i wouldn't think ground clearance is really all that big of an issue. afterall, you are only lowering the car - the axle is still the same height. if you couldn't get over/through something with lowered springs, you wouldn't be able to do it now either. see what i'm saying?

like Nick said: MaxSpeeds or H&Rs with GR2s are the best bet for your money - and closest to stock, but with all the benefits of a lowered suspension for improved looks and performance.