5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2k Max at WOT question-->

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2003, 10:39 AM

2k Max at WOT question-->

Ok, i bought my 2k max with 29k miles on it about a month ago now. it was back to nissan last week for the SES light. the light was for P0505 a Idle Control Malfunction. The fix was to decrese the idle speed, it now idles around 600-700 Rpm, down from around 900. So far no more light. Thoroughbred Nissan in Tucson Arizona is a great dealership, great customer service guys! took my max in for the diagnostic after a month of ownership with no questions and most importantly no bill

2nd thing: my 2000 doesnt seem to exhibit the fuel cut problems that other 2k maxes have. She revs great from 1000rpm on up, and never drops off anywhere. When the clutch is depressed rpms drop and i dont get any of the lurching people describe in stop and go traffic.

Now i have noticed that if i decide i want to go fast and depress the gas pedal fully (wot) in second gear i get this strange hesitation. I can only depress the gas pedal fully after im over about 3k rpm in 2nd and 3rd gear. Anyone heard of this? Should i just not be slamming the gas pedal to the floor at 2-3k rpms??? or is there a problem. The sound it makes when it does the hesitation thing is like if you have a Heat shield that is loose kind of a rattle along with slowER acceleration.

If anybody knows what this is from, let me know!
Thanks
Old 12-18-2003, 12:08 PM

its very unhealthy for the car to be FLOORED all of the sudden. especially in lower rpms. give it a 1/4 or 1/2, you'll get the same thing as WOT at lower rpms. i never floor my car, only sometimes when i just redline in a straight way gears.

trust me, there is enough power with 1/2 throtle in our cars, only if you race or go to the track you want to push your car all the way.

just sharing my thoughts
Old 12-18-2003, 12:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by RHD MAX
Ok, i bought my 2k max with 29k miles on it about a month ago now. it was back to nissan last week for the SES light. the light was for P0505 a Idle Control Malfunction. The fix was to decrese the idle speed, it now idles around 600-700 Rpm, down from around 900. So far no more light. Thoroughbred Nissan in Tucson Arizona is a great dealership, great customer service guys! took my max in for the diagnostic after a month of ownership with no questions and most importantly no bill

2nd thing: my 2000 doesnt seem to exhibit the fuel cut problems that other 2k maxes have. She revs great from 1000rpm on up, and never drops off anywhere. When the clutch is depressed rpms drop and i dont get any of the lurching people describe in stop and go traffic.

Now i have noticed that if i decide i want to go fast and depress the gas pedal fully (wot) in second gear i get this strange hesitation. I can only depress the gas pedal fully after im over about 3k rpm in 2nd and 3rd gear. Anyone heard of this? Should i just not be slamming the gas pedal to the floor at 2-3k rpms??? or is there a problem. The sound it makes when it does the hesitation thing is like if you have a Heat shield that is loose kind of a rattle along with slowER acceleration.

If anybody knows what this is from, let me know!
Thanks
That almost sounds like the engine's pinging when you hit it like that...
Possible fuel-related bottleneck? (i.e. dirty fuel filter, and/or you need to run some quality fuel cleaner through there... like BG44K as many have mentioned here.)

The "rattle" could be pinging, and the slow acceleration could be attributed to the ECU retarding your ignition timing in direct response to pinging, and/or a fuel system bottleneck causing your engine to receive less fuel than necessary.

But I could be wrong
Old 12-18-2003, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by spirilis
That almost sounds like the engine's pinging when you hit it like that...
Possible fuel-related bottleneck? (i.e. dirty fuel filter, and/or you need to run some quality fuel cleaner through there... like BG44K as many have mentioned here.)

The "rattle" could be pinging, and the slow acceleration could be attributed to the ECU retarding your ignition timing in direct response to pinging, and/or a fuel system bottleneck causing your engine to receive less fuel than necessary.

But I could be wrong
That sounds about right. I did run some fuel injector cleaner throuh but it was 5 dollar crap from wal-mart. i will look into the BF44K and see what that does. I agree that it seems like the ignition is retarding, but only under certain conditions, kind of strange. Its almost like a 2 stroke, as long as the rpms are up over 3k it runs great, but below 3k in second gear if i try to accelerate hard, it does it.

also if its doing its thing in second and i just hold the gas pedal down till its above 3k then let off the gas and reapply, its just fine! Its got to be ignition, maybe i will try differant brand of gas. 91 is what i run in it right now.
Old 12-18-2003, 12:50 PM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

might want to have the coils checked/tested as well. 2k were known for weak coils that had a high failure rate. that could be causing the hesitation. i go wot from just about any rpm with no problem. i assume the car is getting premium fuel, according to your area and what octane that is.
Old 12-18-2003, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by sloppymax
might want to have the coils checked/tested as well. 2k were known for weak coils that had a high failure rate. that could be causing the hesitation. i go wot from just about any rpm with no problem. i assume the car is getting premium fuel, according to your area and what octane that is.
This is a very good point... 2K's weak coils also have "pinging" as one of the possible symptoms if I recall correctly.
Old 12-18-2003, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by sloppymax
Doesn't the ECU usually throw a code for the Coils failing? this is also a possiblity that has crossed my mind. Yes 91-92 is premium, i believe the delership put 88 in when they filled it up with gas, since that tank is gone and now im on the 91 it is much better, but not cured!
Old 12-18-2003, 02:24 PM

i believe the delership put 88 in when they filled it up with gas
what a cheap fu!king dealer you got there
Old 12-18-2003, 09:11 PM

Doesn't the ECU usually throw a code for the Coils failing? this is also a possiblity that has crossed my mind. Yes 91-92 is premium, i believe the delership put 88 in when they filled it up with gas, since that tank is gone and now im on the 91 it is much better, but not cured!
My understanding is that as the coils first start to go you may get excessive pinging without throwing a code. As they get worse, then the check engine light will come on, and you may occasionally notice the engine missing at start up for a few minutes
Old 12-19-2003, 06:07 AM

I have the same problem and i always use 92 or 93 octane gas. Also ran bg44k thru 2 tanks ago and that didn't solve my problems so i am leaning towards coils since I just replace the spark plugs ( and yes i had this problem before changing plugs) just not as bad.

I only have 48,xxx miles on my car and I tell you what nissan says to wait to change plugs @ 100,000....DON'T WAIT!!!!!!

mine looked like shiznit

So I dropped it off @ nissan and we'll see what happens!

Also does anyone know if coils are covered on a certified nissan?
Old 12-19-2003, 06:42 AM

Mine's got 48K and it's been running a little... umm... different over the past few thousand miles.
A little less peppy, and the engine sounds a tad noisier.
I'm thinking my coils are due as well...