5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Dealers modding??...

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2003, 09:10 PM
Joe Maxima

Dealers modding??...

The Nissan gods smiled upon me last week because I picked up a brand new 2003 black 350Z Track edition! Don't worry, I still have my 2002 Maxima SE-- it's going to be my daily driver.

What I found real surprising when I first saw my Z in the showroom was that there was a NISMO badge at the rear of the car. Upon closer inspection of the car, I discovered that the car had some popular mods already installed-- NISMO cold air intake, NISMO stainless cat-back exhaust, along with NISMO interior styling i.e. floormats, seatbelt shoulder pads, and a stainless grille.

These mods along with the Brembo brakes and 18" Rays racing wheels that are standard on the Track edition made it impossible for me to pass up on the car-- especially since I've been thinking of getting one since last summer.

Sure, when I priced the individual parts on the internet, the dealer had charged about a 40% mark up on them, but this also included installation of the parts.
What I think is great is that a dealer actually saw the market out there of people who refuse to let the car manufacturers decide what level of performance we get from our cars (us!!). Lucky for me, I was able to talk the guy down on price since it's a 2003 and the end of the year.

I know that there's purists out there who say half the fun is modding a car yourself. I know--- I did some of the mods on my Maxima myself. But for those who aren't mechanically inclined or have the time to do the mods, it's nice to know that they aren't locked out of the performance world.

As a bonus, since the parts are NISMO and dealer-installed, there's no need to remove parts when bringing in the car for service.

So now, I can enjoy the best of both worlds...

P.S. In case if you're wondering how the 350Z performs... All I can say is WOW!!

Old 12-21-2003, 09:56 PM

The dealership where I get my service done has a 03 350Z with stillen exhaust. They marked it up almost $2500 for the exhaust. I told one of the salesman that they were smoking crack lol.
Old 12-22-2003, 07:36 AM
Faster than a speeding bullet...

Originally Posted by Joe Maxima
Sure, when I priced the individual parts on the internet, the dealer had charged about a 40% mark up on them, but this also included installation of the parts.
Mmmmm...gotta love that ole dealer options markup. Besides the force-you-to-pay-MSRP-or-over-because-of-demand trick, the dealer-installed options is where they always try to stick you. I hate it when they put on their options right after the cars come off the truck, so that you have no real choice to have it removed. When I went to get my '02 SE-R, they wanted several hundred bucks for the pinstripes that they put on. I hate pinstripes, but I sure wasn't going to pay that much for all that 'work' it took to tape it on the body. I was able to cut about half off the asking price of all the retarted options they put on the car which was good.

Congrats on the Z. Now Santa got me a green-with-envy-face for Christmas.

Peace.
Old 12-22-2003, 07:40 AM

yeah, there is this bronze colored 350Z around my way with stillen and nismo mods on it. The owner told me that it was factory. I was pretty shocked at what he said... he paid a pretty high ticket price though... but the sound of that car is CRAZY!!!!
Old 12-22-2003, 07:48 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Joe Maxima
The Nissan gods smiled upon me last week because I picked up a brand new 2003 black 350Z Track edition! Don't worry, I still have my 2002 Maxima SE-- it's going to be my daily driver.

What I found real surprising when I first saw my Z in the showroom was that there was a NISMO badge at the rear of the car. Upon closer inspection of the car, I discovered that the car had some popular mods already installed-- NISMO cold air intake, NISMO stainless cat-back exhaust, along with NISMO interior styling i.e. floormats, seatbelt shoulder pads, and a stainless grille.

These mods along with the Brembo brakes and 18" Rays racing wheels that are standard on the Track edition made it impossible for me to pass up on the car-- especially since I've been thinking of getting one since last summer.

What I think is great is that a dealer actually saw the market out there of people who refuse to let the car manufacturers decide what level of performance we get from our cars (us!!). Lucky for me, I was able to talk the guy down on price since it's a 2003 and the end of the year.

I know that there's purists out there who say half the fun is modding a car yourself. I know--- I did some of the mods on my Maxima myself. But for those who aren't mechanically inclined or have the time to do the mods, it's nice to know that they aren't locked out of the performance world.

As a bonus, since the parts are NISMO and dealer-installed, there's no need to remove parts when bringing in the car for service.

So now, I can enjoy the best of both worlds...

P.S. In case if you're wondering how the 350Z performs... All I can say is WOW!!
Hey I'm in Illinois too. What dealer di you go to and do you know any dealer that would do the wind noise mod for my maxima?
Old 12-22-2003, 08:12 AM

But it's all under warranty without hassle