5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Mirror tint on 2000 max/i30...yay or nay?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2003, 10:24 PM

Mirror tint on 2000 max/i30...yay or nay?

I wanted to hook up my 2000 i30t. I wanted tints but I am stuck on what to get. I want dark tints, altough I always liked mirror tint. For some reason it seems not to many people like it and cringe at the thought of it. To Each his own. But I was talking to my friend a couple years back when I was going to get it but got dark tint instead, he said its good in the day, but at night you can see in it. Is this true. Also, its illegal in some states. i live in NY. Has anyone ever had mirror tints and have expeirences to share? Also, I think tinting a car should be done by a pro, and not some player hating punks. Can anyone recommend a good tinting place in NY. Thanks.
Old 12-21-2003, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by edubz
I wanted to hook up my 2000 i30t. I wanted tints but I am stuck on what to get. I want dark tints, altough I always liked mirror tint. For some reason it seems not to many people like it and cringe at the thought of it. To Each his own. But I was talking to my friend a couple years back when I was going to get it but got dark tint instead, he said its good in the day, but at night you can see in it. Is this true. Also, its illegal in some states. i live in NY. Has anyone ever had mirror tints and have expeirences to share? Also, I think tinting a car should be done by a pro, and not some player hating punks. Can anyone recommend a good tinting place in NY. Thanks.

In my opinion, on a silver car, it looks decent, esp if you've got matching rims etc etc... at night time, its IS hard to look through. One thing I noticed on my brothers, after having his tint for a lil over 1 year, when you look out the window (from inside) everything looks bluish... and if you are looking over your shoulder at your 'blind spots", the silver tint makes it very hard, if not impossible, to see... It does look good, but like anything else, has its drawbacks...
Old 12-21-2003, 10:33 PM

I've never really been into mirror tints either but it might look good on some color cars. I've never seen it on a Maxima. Try it out and post pictures, maybe you'll start a new trend.
Old 12-21-2003, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by jattmax
In my opinion, on a silver car, it looks decent, esp if you've got matching rims etc etc... at night time, its IS hard to look through. One thing I noticed on my brothers, after having his tint for a lil over 1 year, when you look out the window (from inside) everything looks bluish... and if you are looking over your shoulder at your 'blind spots", the silver tint makes it very hard, if not impossible, to see... It does look good, but like anything else, has its drawbacks...

Cool, yeah mine is silver with grey interior. I wanted to get dark, but I wasnt sure.

good advice on looking out at night. I was wonder, at night on your brothers, can you look IN? during the day mirror looks the best correct? because it has the sun reflection,ect. But I was wondering at night can you see in?

Also, I was thinking since it reflects, can I mirror tint my back window? Will it blind the SUV drivers or other drivers? And, do cops through a sheet fit if they pull up to you at a red light and turn to see in your car and all the see is their reflection in your mirrors?
Old 12-21-2003, 10:42 PM

you can view my brothers car, its not a maxima, but its a silver car, silver tint...

CLICK TO VIEW
Old 12-21-2003, 10:47 PM

Cool, yeah mine is silver with grey interior. I wanted to get dark, but I wasnt sure.

good advice on looking out at night. I was wonder, at night on your brothers, can you look IN? during the day mirror looks the best correct? because it has the sun reflection,ect. But I was wondering at night can you see in?

Also, I was thinking since it reflects, can I mirror tint my back window? Will it blind the SUV drivers or other drivers? And, do cops through a sheet fit if they pull up to you at a red light and turn to see in your car and all the see is their reflection in your mirrors?
Over here in Northern Cali, we havn't had any trouble with the tint at all, with the expection of the fronts. We've had to remove the tint on fronts twice, but the cop said we could do whatever we want to the back windows... also let me clarify about night time viewing, its very hard to see out, and almost any tint is hard to see through on the inside during the night. though it's a mirror, i've yet to have any problem with reflections...
Old 12-22-2003, 12:12 AM
† ErV †

there is silver mirror, and silver fade to tint (dual color)

looks good on silver cars. on anything else looks.. well STUPID. if you go with chrome, make sure the person putting it on knows what they are doing. that thing is one of the very worst films to install and will show every imperfection.

Old 12-22-2003, 01:46 AM
I miss the .org!

don't like it...too obviously illegal...
Old 12-22-2003, 02:03 AM

you should check out reflective tint, not as gaudy as mirror. It looks really classy and nice. A nice 20% reflective tint is hot.
Old 12-22-2003, 03:36 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

IMHO, it attracts to much attention. The good and bad kind. Just my two scents.

Pedro
Old 12-22-2003, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by jattmax
you can view my brothers car, its not a maxima, but its a silver car, silver tint...

CLICK TO VIEW
Nice. Is your brothers tint half mirror/half tint? It looks nice.

Tint is hard to see through at night. I will consider many factors. Anyone have any pictures of a silver maxima with mirror or reflective tint?
Old 12-22-2003, 08:53 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Reflective tint should give you subtle mirror effect
20 % SunGard Endurance

http://images.cardomain.com/member_i...63_29_full.jpg

http://images.cardomain.com/member_i...63_32_full.jpg

http://images.cardomain.com/member_i.../466763_54.jpg
Old 12-22-2003, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by MannyNJ2k2max
Reflective tint should give you subtle mirror effect
20 % SunGard Endurance
I like the reflective tints. They are nice and dark, but when the light hits them just right they look mirrored.

www.total-x.net/tint.html
Old 12-22-2003, 09:36 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

glemax00' tints?

yea..so i got gle max 00'...i just found out abt this site ..u guys were talking abt the tints...mine is biege...wht type of tint wud be good on it?..i know its not really like a color tht u can hook up and all...atleast i hvnt seen much of a biege colored hooked up maximas..but anyhow..lets c wht majority has to say...
Old 12-22-2003, 01:14 PM

i totally agree with the reflective tint...i have a pearl white max with 15% reflective looks beautiful and at night it almost looks like dark tint... i've done tho whole windshield as well in a 15% reflective and all i do during the day to avoid cops bothering me is open up my sunroof an lights shines in giving the effect of my winsheeld not being tinted at all.... but when its closed u cant see in my car at all
Old 12-22-2003, 02:57 PM

Go with dark tints say 20% it looks the best on the Max and it isn't too dark, plus it adds the benefit of class whereas IMO mirror tints look too childish and lacks the class of a straight up tint that can fit the look for anyone whether you are of mature age or not.
Old 12-22-2003, 03:03 PM
I live life on the edge

Originally Posted by bk2kmax
Go with dark tints say 20% it looks the best on the Max and it isn't too dark, plus it adds the benefit of class whereas IMO mirror tints look too childish and lacks the class of a straight up tint that can fit the look for anyone whether you are of mature age or not.

Dude the mirror stuff is illegal because there is no way for cops to see in. In Arkansas cops are always X'ing peoples tint that is mirrored. I have a white car so everything looks dark on it. I put 18% platinum tint which has a non fading metallic content rather than dyed tint which will fade. Make sure you get a good quality film. Mine is almost four years old and looks brand new. Also, make sure yuo get a scratch resistant film. There's my three cents
Old 12-22-2003, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by xXx TeCaO xXx
i totally agree with the reflective tint...i have a pearl white max with 15% reflective looks beautiful and at night it almost looks like dark tint... i've done tho whole windshield as well in a 15% reflective and all i do during the day to avoid cops bothering me is open up my sunroof an lights shines in giving the effect of my winsheeld not being tinted at all.... but when its closed u cant see in my car at all
just a couple of follow up questions.

I like the reflective tint, but I am not as smart when it comes to cars as most. I am the idiot that would go in and say "give me mirror tint" and then find out I should have asked for reflective tint.

Anyways, I like what this person did

I would call that 'mirror tint', but I guess its called 'reflective tint', correct? I like sites like this with car guru's because you get better information...the guys at the tint shop just want you to spend money, and will tell you anything.Not always the case, but I just dont trust sales men. Also, the tint quality. I am willing to pay more money.

well my friend whos into cars said that at night the reflective tint isnt that good because you can see in. Do you find that true? I really like that tint, you cant see anything inside...

As a tip if you ever get pulled over. Anytime I got pulled over when I had 20% tint, I would roll down all my windows and put both hands out the car. when the officer asks why I did that I explained that I didnt want him to feel scared approaching a car with such dark tint. It all really depends on the cop, but at least its a sign of good will on your part. and he might not give you a ticket for tints since you thought about his saftey.
Old 12-22-2003, 04:40 PM

just a couple of follow up questions.

I like the reflective tint, but I am not as smart when it comes to cars as most. I am the idiot that would go in and say "give me mirror tint" and then find out I should have asked for reflective tint.

Anyways, I like what this person did

I would call that 'mirror tint', but I guess its called 'reflective tint', correct? I like sites like this with car guru's because you get better information...the guys at the tint shop just want you to spend money, and will tell you anything.Not always the case, but I just dont trust sales men. Also, the tint quality. I am willing to pay more money.

well my friend whos into cars said that at night the reflective tint isnt that good because you can see in. Do you find that true? I really like that tint, you cant see anything inside...

As a tip if you ever get pulled over. Anytime I got pulled over when I had 20% tint, I would roll down all my windows and put both hands out the car. when the officer asks why I did that I explained that I didnt want him to feel scared approaching a car with such dark tint. It all really depends on the cop, but at least its a sign of good will on your part. and he might not give you a ticket for tints since you thought about his saftey.
If the sunroofs open (whick mine is tinted also) and more light enters the cabin,
you can see in barely- but shadows or outlines only

During daytime it reflects the backround , so when driving it appears super shinny- As opposed to a pitch black tint that is sure to get you pulled over
if the cops cannot see the driver
Old 12-22-2003, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by xXx TeCaO xXx
You tinted your windshield??? Why would you do that? Are you that ugly? j/k That doesn't seem like a very smart thing to do, especially for night driving. You should post a pic, I'd like to see what it looks like.
Old 12-22-2003, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by bremner44
You tinted your windshield??? Why would you do that? Are you that ugly? j/k That doesn't seem like a very smart thing to do, especially for night driving. You should post a pic, I'd like to see what it looks like.
Here is what a tinted windshield looks like.

www.total-x.net/tint2.html

(sorry for the huge pics)
Old 12-22-2003, 06:07 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I got 35% "Platinum" so they call it. I've got a 2k2 Pearl White max, i think it looks good. I wanted the reflective effect as well as the tint, i gotta admit i have to sometimes roll the back windows down when i'm backing up or use my reverse mirrors with front windows down to see sometimes. There's some parts in and around Orlando that are dark. Other than that, i've got no complaints! I like it!

http://community.webshots.com/s/imag...1dmpNdA_ph.jpg

http://community.webshots.com/s/imag...7uKqCpy_ph.jpg

http://community.webshots.com/s/imag...0DfuZAA_ph.jpg

http://community.webshots.com/s/imag...7tbQhFJ_ph.jpg

Big pics....sorry 56k'ers
Old 12-22-2003, 06:08 PM

In Brooklyn right on atlantic ave there is a shop. i cant remember the name But it 2 blocks passed Bedford Ave. they did mine for me for $100 five windows 20% "year around" i went with black.
Old 12-22-2003, 06:21 PM

hey how much did you guys pay for the reflective tints? any recommended professional installers in ny? thx.
Old 12-22-2003, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by maniax
hey how much did you guys pay for the reflective tints? any recommended professional installers in ny? thx.
yes I am looking for a pro tinting place in the NY area. I want mine done by a pro. To many people trying to make a fast buck these days. Like I said, willing to pay money for a pro job.
Old 12-22-2003, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by pimpjuice
Here is what a tinted windshield looks like.

www.total-x.net/tint2.html

(sorry for the huge pics)

your crazy btw... Thats just insane. It looks sick, but damn if you dont get any tickets for it, your related to a cop or your just that good.
Old 12-23-2003, 08:01 AM

hey

yes I am looking for a pro tinting place in the NY area. I want mine done by a pro. To many people trying to make a fast buck these days. Like I said, willing to pay money for a pro job.
Check you PM's
Old 12-23-2003, 11:06 AM
VTEC This!

i dont have a prob with mirror tint, as long as its full mirror tint...that half-way down the window **** is just horrendous looking
Old 12-23-2003, 11:10 AM

i dont really like mirror tints... jus stick with the dark tint... can't go wrong...
Old 12-23-2003, 01:08 PM

I had the dark tint and then the reflective tint (platinum it was called) on my max. I liked the platinum a lot better.

Old 12-23-2003, 02:42 PM

Don't go with the reflective. I think it will take away from the look of the car. Go with either the smoke or what i have, which is the platinum.
Old 12-23-2003, 03:51 PM
92 SE-R 02 SE

just get a nice smoke 20 or 35% TINT. I dont like the silver stuff....

Old 12-23-2003, 08:36 PM
I live life on the edge

Originally Posted by cwally
I had the dark tint and then the reflective tint (platinum it was called) on my max. I liked the platinum a lot better.

Hey CWALLY, I see that cop over there in the pic eyeballing your tint, are you sure it's legal? By the way what wheels are those, I'm likin em. 18's or 19's?
Old 12-23-2003, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by skalberti
Hey CWALLY, I see that cop over there in the pic eyeballing your tint, are you sure it's legal? By the way what wheels are those, I'm likin em. 18's or 19's?
Hi guys. I am also looking for a professional shop in the NY area. If some1 could shoot me a pm or just post it here I will appreciate. I need it done very well I dont want any bubles. This is actually for an FX 35 that my parents just goot so they def want it to be a good job.

Now for my max. I currently have regular black tint 20% all around. I would like to put limo on all 3 rear windows. The thing is t hat I have asked aorund and all shops are afraid to take the current tint I have now claiming that they could mess up the rear defroster and they ill be f*cked. Any1 know my options? Thanks...
Old 12-24-2003, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by zgrm100
Hi guys. I am also looking for a professional shop in the NY area. If some1 could shoot me a pm or just post it here I will appreciate. I need it done very well I dont want any bubles. This is actually for an FX 35 that my parents just goot so they def want it to be a good job.

Now for my max. I currently have regular black tint 20% all around. I would like to put limo on all 3 rear windows. The thing is t hat I have asked aorund and all shops are afraid to take the current tint I have now claiming that they could mess up the rear defroster and they ill be f*cked. Any1 know my options? Thanks...
You could always have them put on another layer. If they add another 20% it will equal %5 (or pretty close).
Old 12-24-2003, 01:45 AM

before you tint the car find out if it is illegal to have in your area, for instance miami you can get a ticket for the mirror tint..
Old 12-24-2003, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by 30585
before you tint the car find out if it is illegal to have in your area, for instance miami you can get a ticket for the mirror tint..
I think I am going to go with what they call "platnium reflective tint"

i think its diffrent then mirror.
Old 12-24-2003, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by skalberti
In Cali, its legal to have the rear windows tinted. Jus not the driver and pass. ones. I had the car for 2 years, and got one fix-a-ticket. And I ended up jus paying the fine. Wheels are 19" 2-piece Antera 183.
Old 12-24-2003, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by zgrm100

There is a way to take it off. You jus need to find a guy who knows what he is doing. I believe that they spray somethin on there and also heat the tint up so that it comes off without pulling the defroster.
Old 12-24-2003, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by cwally
There is a way to take it off. You jus need to find a guy who knows what he is doing. I believe that they spray somethin on there and also heat the tint up so that it comes off without pulling the defroster.
Hmm, so can any1 recommend a really good professional for window tinting?

Quick Reply: Mirror tint on 2000 max/i30...yay or nay?