5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Headlight almost got stolen last night!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2003, 05:44 AM

Headlight almost got stolen last night!!!

Its about 4:00am and I have to wake up to go take a leak, so I peek out the window to check my driveway to make sure my baby 2002 Maxima is alright. Load and behold, I see a **** standing next to the front of my Max, I rushed outta my house and the b@stard start running with couple of his friends. I chase them for like 3 blocks and they split up then I give up. All off them have hooded sweaters on. Can't see there faces at all. Got back to my car and the headlight is half pop out. I guess these guys are not PROs as they try to wedge the light as to popping the hood and unscrew the lights and stuff. If I only caught one of them...!!! This happened in the Midwood section of Brooklyn, NY!!!
Old 12-23-2003, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by HKSturboKid
Its about 4:00am and I have to wake up to go take a leak, so I peek out the window to check my driveway to make sure my baby 2002 Maxima is alright. Load and behold, I see a **** standing next to the front of my Max, I rushed outta my house and the b@stard start running with couple of his friends. I chase them for like 3 blocks and they split up then I give up. All off them have hooded sweaters on. Can't see there faces at all. Got back to my car and the headlight is half pop out. I guess these guys are not PROs as they try to wedge the light as to popping the hood and unscrew the lights and stuff. If I only caught one of them...!!! This happened in the Midwood section of Brooklyn, NY!!!
For future reference, it's never a good idea to chase three people. They could have ganged up on you and caused you great harm. Just try to get as good a description as possible and call the law. As much as we love our cars they are not worth getting hurt over them. Just some free and friendly advice.
Old 12-23-2003, 05:54 AM

can this happen on 2000 i30's with xeon lights?
Old 12-23-2003, 05:55 AM

Not sure about the I30's but I know Maxima and TLs are the number 1 target for HIDs. I got my stolen once before and I had it with these thieves.
Old 12-23-2003, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by charliekilo3
For future reference, it's never a good idea to chase three people. They could have ganged up on you and caused you great harm. Just try to get as good a description as possible and call the law. As much as we love our cars they are not worth getting hurt over them. Just some free and friendly advice.
Thanks for the advice, but I realize those are kids. I was planning to call the law enforcement. By the time they get here, most likely my headlights will be gone by then. I'll try to get a better description next time or even get a picture while I am chasing them.
Old 12-23-2003, 05:58 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You should've shot one of them.
Old 12-23-2003, 05:59 AM

holy **** thats actaully the story that happened with me three weeks aogo. and my baby. but i was less one headlight
Old 12-23-2003, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by adamschwartz
holy **** thats actaully the story that happened with me three weeks aogo. and my baby. but i was less one headlight
Hey Adam, I remember reading your post back then. My mechanic ordered the AE already. I was planning to install this past weekend but he got bz. Guess I have to get it done ASAP. How about u, did u get yours done?
Old 12-23-2003, 06:25 AM

So mis your hood or fender messed up?
Old 12-23-2003, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Lumbee1
hahahaha

Yeah dude, 3v1 never a good idea.... but 3 vs 1 with bat or ice pick will even it out.

Just another reason whY i hesitate on upgrading my HID bulbs... dont want to lose the stock HID housing with the 6000K bulbs... that would suck....
Old 12-23-2003, 07:24 AM

Did you have the DataDots recall performed by the dealer before this attempted theft? I'm curious to know if it slowed them down at all....

Old 12-23-2003, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Quidproquo
Did you have the DataDots recall performed by the dealer before this attempted theft? I'm curious to know if it slowed them down at all....
They probably wouldn't see them (data dots) in the darkness anyway. Some of them would not be aware of the data dots either. They just see $$$ signs.
Old 12-23-2003, 07:30 AM

They probably wouldn't see them (data dots) in the darkness anyway. Some of them would not be aware of the data dots either. They just see $$$ signs.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ people see a ebay opportunity.
Old 12-23-2003, 07:31 AM

Thanks for the advice, but I realize those are kids. I was planning to call the law enforcement. By the time they get here, most likely my headlights will be gone by then. I'll try to get a better description next time or even get a picture while I am chasing them.
You're welcome. Just remember that at least one of those kids had some kind of prying tool(s) and could have used it as a weapon. Even if you caught one of them, he might get away with it because of his being a minor. I just hope that you can catch them on your property if they try it again.
Old 12-23-2003, 07:45 AM

You're welcome. Just remember that at least one of those kids had some kind of prying tool(s) and could have used it as a weapon. Even if you caught one of them, he might get away with it because of his being a minor. I just hope that you can catch them on your property if they try it again.
Yea true. I think they are amateurs. I think they use a screw driver or something and try to pry the other edge of the headlight. By the time I got outside, they ditch and start running about half a block already. The passenger side outter edge was pop out already, and there is a little ding by the corner where the lights seats in. I guess when the b@stard heard noise, they start jetting. I was able to pop the light back in after openning the hood. Thank gawd they didn't get it otherwise, it would be a horrible Christmas!
Old 12-23-2003, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by maximo-SE
hahahaha

Yeah dude, 3v1 never a good idea.... but 3 vs 1 with bat or ice pick will even it out.

Just another reason whY i hesitate on upgrading my HID bulbs... dont want to lose the stock HID housing with the 6000K bulbs... that would suck....
Exactly. I did have a bat by the front door.
Old 12-23-2003, 07:48 AM

Naah, I didn't do Datadots on the headlights yet. Its just tracks them down if they try to sell it, it don't even prevent them from taking them. I don't want to take time off work just to do this. Last time I went to the dealer, they messed up my car, scratched my bumper front and rear and scruff the side as well. On top of everything, they try to bride me with a free oil change for the Nissan Customer Feedback mailer that I got from Nissan Headquarters.
Old 12-23-2003, 08:07 AM

Damn. Sorry to hear it (almost) happened.
And Midwood is a "good" neighborhood too.
Glad they didn't do too much damage.
Good job preventing another HID theft.
Old 12-23-2003, 08:14 AM

Hey Adam, I remember reading your post back then. My mechanic ordered the AE already. I was planning to install this past weekend but he got bz. Guess I have to get it done ASAP. How about u, did u get yours done?
I just got the nissan crap fix and a viper alarm with two shock sensors on each headlight for now.
Old 12-23-2003, 08:16 AM

It's not just for tracking.... They also install metal brackets which are connected to the frame. Supposedly they keep the lights from just popping out, and if the thieves continue to yank on the lights the ballast breaks off, and renders the whole unit useless.

I'll bet if everyone in the North East does this to their Maxima's, the thieves will move on to another car for the parts.

Naah, I didn't do Datadots on the headlights yet. Its just tracks them down if they try to sell it, it don't even prevent them from taking them. I don't want to take time off work just to do this. Last time I went to the dealer, they messed up my car, scratched my bumper front and rear and scruff the side as well. On top of everything, they try to bride me with a free oil change for the Nissan Customer Feedback mailer that I got from Nissan Headquarters.
Old 12-23-2003, 08:36 AM

It's not just for tracking.... They also install metal brackets which are connected to the frame. Supposedly they keep the lights from just popping out, and if the thieves continue to yank on the lights the ballast breaks off, and renders the whole unit useless.

I'll bet if everyone in the North East does this to their Maxima's, the thieves will move on to another car for the parts.
I didn't know that. I thought is just etching the headlights or something. But since I am putting the AEs on, do you think I still should get it done?
Old 12-23-2003, 08:46 AM

Fortunately we get to park ours in a the garage. Until I came upon this site I never knew that people were attempting (and successfully) stealing the headlights. I guess I'll keep my eyes peeled for theives and if I do catch them in the act I will definately call the police. Their response time to "in-progress" calls in this city is unbelievably fast.
Old 12-23-2003, 10:39 AM
MK3 Supra and Focus ST

Exactly. I did have a bat by the front door.
Im guessing you probably didnt get back to sleep after that.
Old 12-23-2003, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by PhxBlue
Im guessing you probably didnt get back to sleep after that.

You guessed right. After giving those guys a chase, I pretty much woke already. So I stay up pretty much of the night and play my PS2.
Old 12-23-2003, 11:50 AM
Banned

I understand this will leave the lights useless and they will probably leave, but then your left with a mess... not to mention the fact that the harder it is to take the lights the more damage they do to your car... IMO if i had 2k2 headlights i would just leave it be as the stock ones, or sell the 2k2's myself and get ae's. Raising insurance cost and premiums is something i dont want to deal with... not to mention the time in the shop.
Old 12-23-2003, 12:52 PM
MK3 Supra and Focus ST

Originally Posted by BrandonSE
I understand this will leave the lights useless and they will probably leave, but then your left with a mess... not to mention the fact that the harder it is to take the lights the more damage they do to your car... IMO if i had 2k2 headlights i would just leave it be as the stock ones, or sell the 2k2's myself and get ae's. Raising insurance cost and premiums is something i dont want to deal with... not to mention the time in the shop.
Can the AE's be retro fitted to be an HID assembly?
Old 12-23-2003, 05:02 PM

sorry to hear bout that bro and im glad u chased them fuc____ away... though i live in cali, i can feel your pain, and i know it's just a matter of time before this starts happenin frequently over here on the west
Old 12-23-2003, 05:29 PM

did you call the cops and get their fingerprints off the light? I doubt they were wearing any gloves or anything

sorry to hear about that.
Old 12-23-2003, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by jattmax
sorry to hear bout that bro and im glad u chased them fuc____ away... though i live in cali, i can feel your pain, and i know it's just a matter of time before this starts happenin frequently over here on the west

its a shame, and a nightmare for those who are still in contract over the car , and get their lights stolen more then once, have insurance go up, and cant even leave your car to go into the movies or the store. Shame, car is so nice.Nissan is at fault for this because of the design flaw. I am a producer, and I own an apple g4, and when the last g4's came out some where loud, and created a website

www.g4noise.com

because apple didnt admit to a problem, but then apple sent everyone who new $500 fan kits that were silent. Granted a top of the line powermacs run $3999, no where near as much as a car, but still, nissan should help somehow. Can these steal them on 2000 maxima's just that easy?
Old 12-23-2003, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by edubz
its a shame, and a nightmare for those who are still in contract over the car , and get their lights stolen more then once, have insurance go up, and cant even leave your car to go into the movies or the store. Shame, car is so nice.Nissan is at fault for this because of the design flaw. I am a producer, and I own an apple g4, and when the last g4's came out some where loud, and created a website

www.g4noise.com

because apple didnt admit to a problem, but then apple sent everyone who new $500 fan kits that were silent. Granted a top of the line powermacs run $3999, no where near as much as a car, but still, nissan should help somehow. Can these steal them on 2000 maxima's just that easy?
I don't hold Nissan responsible for the behavior of thieves. If they had prior knowledge that the lights would be stolen and still made them easy to remove, I would feel differently about it. They probably should make any future lights much stronger and more difficult to steal. However, the thieves will adapt to the change. You can tell by the way they change with all other theft deterent technology. When people started getting alarms on cars, the thieves started car jacking because it was easier than trying to defeat the alarm system. When they make cars harder to hotwire, they use tow trucks to steal them. The list goes on and on.
Old 12-23-2003, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by maximo-SE
hahahaha

OH YEAH!!! My only fear would be that I might actually kill the person and wind up on murder charges. Case in point: Some shopowner in NYC this week was arrested for murder when he caught up to and shot to death the motherf-cker that just mugged him earlier. Total hero is now in jail for murdering a total zero.

Peace.
Old 12-23-2003, 07:18 PM

I don't hold Nissan responsible for the behavior of thieves. If they had prior knowledge that the lights would be stolen and still made them easy to remove, I would feel differently about it. They probably should make any future lights much stronger and more difficult to steal. However, the thieves will adapt to the change. You can tell by the way they change with all other theft deterent technology. When people started getting alarms on cars, the thieves started car jacking because it was easier than trying to defeat the alarm system. When they make cars harder to hotwire, they use tow trucks to steal them. The list goes on and on.

eyah but for people in contract with the bank because they saw a hot car, still have their insurance messed up, and you take that with you even after you get rid of the car.
Old 12-23-2003, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by F23A4
OH YEAH!!! My only fear would be that I might actually kill the person and wind up on murder charges. Case in point: Some shopowner in NYC this week was arrested for murder when he caught up to and shot to death the motherf-cker that just mugged him earlier. Total hero is now in jail for murdering a total zero.

Peace.
yup, this is sad but true. The guy was mug and then later caught up to the thieves and he stab them and now he is in jail. The problem is that the law protects all these crooks. This is crazy. All I can say is to play their game and put on your own mask and hooked sweater, can't point fingers if you don't know who did it.
Old 12-23-2003, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by PhxBlue
Can the AE's be retro fitted to be an HID assembly?
It can be done, except that you either have to drill a new hole for the high beam or don't use them at all. Another problem is HID is so easily recognize that if the potential crook see it and recognize it, they will follow you and wait for the right moment.
Old 12-23-2003, 08:27 PM

I finally found the solution to the problem... I traded in my 02 maxima for an 04 Accord Coupe 6spd.

Now I don't have to worry about the ehadlights disappearing...

ohh uhh.... only the whole car disapperaing.... but that is a worth while insurance claim...

I do miss my lazy boy style seats from the maxima though.... and the heated steering wheel... and the HLSD....and the extra power but all is well, now mentally I can rest.
Old 12-23-2003, 11:03 PM

Old 12-23-2003, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by my02black6spdSE
I finally found the solution to the problem... I traded in my 02 maxima for an 04 Accord Coupe 6spd.

ohh uhh.... only the whole car disapperaing.... but that is a worth while insurance claim...

I do miss my lazy boy style seats from the maxima though.... and the heated steering wheel... and the HLSD....and the extra power but all is well, now mentally I can rest.
yea but your slow!!!
Old 12-23-2003, 11:29 PM

Yeah right in the ***

Atleast that would provide you with some sorts of entertainment til the cops showed up, or he could have ran, once again proving to be amusing with a bullet lodged in either cheek

Acutally thats a bad idea. Shooting some1 in the @ss would get you sued pretty bad
Old 12-24-2003, 04:10 AM
PAPA SMURF

Originally Posted by my02black6spdSE

I understand fully your frustrations but the day I let a little thing like HID theft scare me into selling my maxima, is the same day I go out lynching all arabs in NY because of the whole 9/11 thing and recent terror alert rising

IMO, you could've retrofitted the older lights into your car and you'd still have your LSD, heated wheel and 255hp

either way, good luck and I hope you bought your accord in BLUE

Old 12-24-2003, 07:06 AM

Nah, I got silver. I had too, I live in an apartment so the car sits outside, silver is the easiest color to maintain.

I thought about the retro fit kit, but there were people here saying their AE's got jacked- most likely from theives not using flashlights, or being uneducated on Max model years. They probably saw clear taillights and went for the headlights.

30585 -as for being slow... I didn't care. the TQ on the max was sweet, but at least now I can fill the car with regular...LOL
And if there is one thing I need to do- it's to calm down on my driving.

Quick Reply: Headlight almost got stolen last night!!!