5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

ignition coils?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2003, 10:14 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

ignition coils?

what are the tell tale signs that the ignition coils are going bad?
Old 12-24-2003, 04:27 AM

When you start off hard from a stop, or push the engine hard going up a hill, you can here a sound from the motor that sounds like pebbles in a can when you shake the can. Its real obvious, or at least was obvious for me when I had it. If your hering this dont keep doing it as it is not good for the motor. get them replaced at the dealership for free if you are under 36k miles. If not you have to buy them yourself. I have heard that they are easy to install.
Old 12-24-2003, 05:12 AM
maximum_rpm_nyc

Originally Posted by Y2KSilvahSE
When you start off hard from a stop, or push the engine hard going up a hill, you can here a sound from the motor that sounds like pebbles in a can when you shake the can. Its real obvious, or at least was obvious for me when I had it. If your hering this dont keep doing it as it is not good for the motor. get them replaced at the dealership for free if you are under 36k miles. If not you have to buy them yourself. I have heard that they are easy to install.

Wrong, pinging sound from bad gas. I've heard the sound on lots of Maximas and Altima 3.5s. I did my own research with my car, and friends 3.5 SE Altima.
Checked coils w/ CONSULT's Osciloscope, checked Spark plugs daily after work.
Determined it was gas, especially water content in gas.

You know coils are going bad when you get Service Engine Soon lamp ON.

Code P1320 Prim-IGN Circuit. Followed by P0300(301-6) Random Misfire(Misfire Cyl. 1-6)

I've had quite a few people come into Service looking for me about coils, and I had to read for myself.

Old 12-24-2003, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by maximum_rpm_nyc
Wrong, pinging sound from bad gas. I've heard the sound on lots of Maximas and Altima 3.5s. I did my own research with my car, and friends 3.5 SE Altima.

Code P1320 Prim-IGN Circuit. Followed by P0300(301-6) Random Misfire(Misfire Cyl. 1-6)

I've had quite a few people come into Service looking for me about coils, and I had to read for myself.
In my case, the SES light was not on. When they replaced the coils the symptom was gone, and engine was stronger. Sunoco super is the only gas I ever use.
Old 12-24-2003, 07:42 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I've had my car for over 4 years, and the ONLY time it's EVER pinged was when my coils were going out. So, I think pinging could be a valid symptom to this problem. The obvious symptom is strong hesistation (missing), which is not just a lack of power as some people diagnose it, it is literally that 1 or more cylinders don't fire for a little while, which is very obvious! You can also hear the "pebbles in a can" sound while this is happening.

The SES light will stay on only after the ECU has trapped several failures, it will not be immediate. If you get another bad failure then the light will blink again for a little bit, then remain solid again.
Old 12-24-2003, 08:06 AM

Actually NO, Y2KsilvahSE is correct. The SES won't come on after a couple times it happens.
Old 12-24-2003, 08:27 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by ScreamingVQ
Actually NO, Y2KsilvahSE is correct. The SES won't come on after a couple times it happens.
I didn't say it came on right away... Are you saying the SES light never comes on? Your post makes no sense.
Old 12-24-2003, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by KCMichaelM
I didn't say it came on right away... Are you saying the SES light never comes on? Your post makes no sense.
It wasn't directed towards your post
Old 12-24-2003, 11:33 PM
maximum_rpm_nyc

I've seen multiple cases, and heard it from a few of my Maxima customers. I have them try BP gas from the new station down the street. Usually cures the problem. Only way to find out is to use an osciloscope to verify coils going bad. I don't have a reason to replace them if the specs of the coils I test are right on for factory specs. If I see that a coil is starting to go bad, using CONSULT, I have found history codes of P0300-6. When I check a car and find P1320, then first thing is to test coils, and I usually find one coil.
I can't subjectively say that all cases w/ ping are coils. I've even found a DIY spark plug install that went wrong and he cracked the resistor, causing P0300-6 code. I'm just giving my opinion after seeing maximas everyday, and at least I understand what you guys are saying, but I see a much bigger picture than most.

Old 12-25-2003, 12:44 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

see with me it happens sometimes and when it does it lights up my ses light. but then if i shut the car off and let it sit like a couple hours or over night it stops.
Old 12-25-2003, 06:53 AM
maximum_rpm_nyc

Originally Posted by 30585
see with me it happens sometimes and when it does it lights up my ses light. but then if i shut the car off and let it sit like a couple hours or over night it stops.
Then a history code is stored. Only using NISSAN's CONSULT can you bring that up and maybe Snap-On's MODIS diagnostic scanner will you see the code and be able to diagnose the problem.

If anyone has a problem at Nissan for repairs out of warranty, please PM me.
I can advise you on some of Nissan's 'Tools' to get the repair work done, and scare a service rep or manager.

Old 12-25-2003, 08:30 AM

I've seen multiple cases, and heard it from a few of my Maxima customers. I have them try BP gas from the new station down the street. Usually cures the problem. Only way to find out is to use an osciloscope to verify coils going bad. I don't have a reason to replace them if the specs of the coils I test are right on for factory specs. If I see that a coil is starting to go bad, using CONSULT, I have found history codes of P0300-6. When I check a car and find P1320, then first thing is to test coils, and I usually find one coil.
I can't subjectively say that all cases w/ ping are coils. I've even found a DIY spark plug install that went wrong and he cracked the resistor, causing P0300-6 code. I'm just giving my opinion after seeing maximas everyday, and at least I understand what you guys are saying, but I see a much bigger picture than most.
We're not saying what you type earlier is wrong its Just that what the other person typed is also correct and you said it was incorrected
Old 12-25-2003, 08:41 AM
maximum_rpm_nyc

Originally Posted by ScreamingVQ
We're not saying what you type earlier is wrong its Just that what the other person typed is also correct and you said it was incorrected
Yeah, I know I figured that much, just trying to explain why I said what I said, like I said, I see and hear complaints everyday, and this is what I do daily. I've tried different solutions, and not all symptoms pop up, but at least I know where everyone is coming from when I am approached with the pinging problem.

Merry X mas fellas.

Old 12-25-2003, 09:46 AM

as far as mine goes its had the pinging for over 10k miles now. tried every brand of 92 octane i can here and it doesnt make a difference. went in at 35k and dealer wouldnt touch it. (it was pinging as i pulled out) i havent taken it in since cause im not gonna pay 200 bucks for DG just to have them tell me what i know. just gonna have to go buy the coils and throw them in.

my CEL isnt on and has never came on once.