5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Paint chips on 5th gen unusually excessive??

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2001, 09:36 AM

Props to City Dwellers

I've got to give those of you in New York and cities alike props. I live in Florida and drive 2.5 miles down a back road to work...why the scratches? You've got me.

If I lived in New York, I think I'd have an old police car with those big bu,per guards.
Old 03-06-2001, 09:53 AM
dhurley

super chipped black Maxx

I do alot of highway driving and this car has more chips than any of my other three cars. I also own a 91 Toyota no paint chips.If anything happens with this problem please keep me informed.

Old 03-06-2001, 10:48 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Talk to Nissan employed friends...

If anybody knows anybody who works at other dealers around the country, be sure to find out how their dealing with this issue. If they've noticed or not. I have family in the Nissan business, so I'll see what I can get along these lines.

I don't believe this is a problem with non-Maxima Nissans (anybody knows otherwise, speak up)...unless its just the 2000/2001 models. My family has owned everything from a '95 Altima to a 1998 Pathfinder to a 2001 Sentra to my Max. I've never seen nor heard this issue before my baby started showing signs of wear with 1000 miles on it.
Old 03-06-2001, 07:34 PM

Nissan's formal definition of "wear and tear"

This lifted from the "wear and tear" topic within the Nissan Owners Area via the Nissandriven.com web site. Interesting how they will assess wear and tear regarding paint...read on, this was cut directly from discussion on the topic:

"Normal wear and tear is the reasonable cosmetic or mechanical depreciation your car undergoes as a result of day-to-day use. Excessive wear and tear is any damage above and beyond normal limits.* "

"Excessive Wear and Tear -- Deep scratches. Scratches covered with touch-up paint. Scratches/gouges to the plastic on bumper covers. Excessive number of scratches on bumpers. Dents with paint damage. Large or highly-visible dents. Minor dents on more than three panels. Dents on panels that have been previously repainted."

With this definition, our months old cars already show signs of "excessive wear and tear"! This is unacceptable.

Who reading this thread has experience and the know-how to create a link where we can begin gathering information in an organized fashion? This thread is great to expose the problem, but we've got to get a page set-up where owners can respond to some simple questions and we can compile an impressive data base of affected cars and their owners. Please call me at your convenience, or email me at srmtn@aol.com. My mobile is 496.4970.

Thanks!!!

Scott
Old 03-06-2001, 10:23 PM

Re: Nissan's formal definition of

Originally posted by srmtn
Please call me at your convenience, or email me at srmtn@aol.com. My mobile is 496.4970.
Just for the sake of everyone here who does not live in whatever town you live...what's the area code for the phone number?

I have a new server coming in around the 20th. I could, potentially, host the site if we were pressed..current server is too overloaded, but can do it after the new one comes in. If somebody else is better equipped immediately, I have my own DNS host registered and will provide the primary or secondary host for the site if needed. This is assuming its hosted outside of this site.
Old 03-07-2001, 10:44 AM

Re: Re: Nissan's formal definition of

Originally posted by Michael98033
Please call me at your convenience, or email me at srmtn@aol.com. My mobile is 496.4970.
Just for the sake of everyone here who does not live in whatever town you live...what's the area code for the phone number?

I have a new server coming in around the 20th. I could, potentially, host the site if we were pressed..current server is too overloaded, but can do it after the new one comes in. If somebody else is better equipped immediately, I have my own DNS host registered and will provide the primary or secondary host for the site if needed. This is assuming its hosted outside of this site.
Right...area code IS important. Sorry. it is 615. so, my cell is 615.496.4970.

You might have the solution, now we just need to work on a template for the information that needs to be gathered. I can look at that over the weekend, and get something posted that everyone can react to. I'd like to get this thing up and running by the end of the month. Sounds like if we tag you as a resource, it is doable? Give me a call tonight, or if you prefer, give me your number and I'll call you. If you don't want to post your number, just send me an email

Scott
Old 03-07-2001, 03:49 PM
smankow

Paint chips

I have had my Maxima for 6 months now and have also experienced several paint chips, especially on the lower hood area. Nissan's flagship performs like a sinking ship

Old 03-07-2001, 07:00 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

I think the website is a GREAT idea. Especially, when potential Maxima owners as myself did two months ago, search yahoo or google to find information about the Maxima. Maybe, they will be swayed to another vehicle and eventually Nissan might decide are complaints are worth addressing.

Great work guys! Keep it alive or else NOTHING will get done. I will definitely link anything you put together on my crapy website. For now, that's all I can do but cheer you on.
Old 03-07-2001, 07:33 PM

My 2000 Maxima Paint vs. My 2000 Taurus Paint

I had a Silver 2000 Taurus SE provided to me by my company. I turned in that car with just over 10,000 miles and there were no noticeable scratches, paint chips, or nicks on the car.

I now have a 2001 Spruce Green (don't ask me what I was thinking!) Taurus with just over 2000 miles. I use my Taurus for driving to and from work throughout the week, and for driving to client sites. So long as it's within a couple of hundred miles.

My Maxima has 11,000 miles and there are paint chips and scratches all over the front bumper and hood. I don't do nearly as much driving with my Maxima. I only drive it on weekends. It looks far worse than either Taurus cars I've driven. The 2000 Taurus went on quite a few road trips. The 2001 has done a couple so far.

Furthermore, the 2001 Taurus took a few salt rocks from a salt truck one lane over. I can't imagine what my Maxima would look like after some shots like that.

Like most cars, the Maxima is designed with a low front and high back. The Maxima's nose, however, sits rather high off the ground. This type of chipping shouldn't be this severe in my opinion. Of course, it's just a matter of opinion. There's no rule that says a cars design should be less vulnerable to this type of damage.

I really am concerned considering that my car looks this way and I hardly ever drive it. I hope we find some kind of remedy for this situation.
Old 03-08-2001, 06:54 AM

I have a 2001 SE and have noticed the same poor paint quality that others have mentioned. If you are spending even a small amount of time on the highway, or following other cars....the paint chipping seems to be a given. So I guess Nissan can make one of the most sophisticated engines in the world, yet they cannot match the paint quality that is offered by Hyundai or Ford? Pretty ridiculous if you ask me!
Old 03-08-2001, 09:41 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey... me too!

I have an 01 SE. I've had the car for about 3 weeks now. I haven't noticed any paint chips yet, however, due to the weather, I haven't been able to hand wash the car (I live in RI). But with a quick glance over, I have noticed a rather poor quality paint job. There are obvious small scratches on the drivers side front quarter panel on the top where it meets the hood. From what I've read, I'm afraid of what I will find when I hand wash my car. Count me in on this one.
Old 03-09-2001, 09:20 AM

Bad paint and clear coat

Bad paint is right. I have a Black 2k maxima and it has chips and scratches all over it and thats with normal driving. I wonder what would happen if mine got put to the "Diamond Test", I would say straight through the car. I plan to have mine repainted some time this year if nothing comes up.
Old 03-09-2001, 09:34 AM

Just for added info...

We should really pursue finding matching paint colors with some of the high-quality auto paint companies. Figure out what a full-repaint would cost so we know what we might expect from Nissan if this turns into a service bulletin.

I have absolutely no knowledge of paints and paint companies, etc. Anybody have any thoughts on this?
Old 03-09-2001, 06:31 PM

not very chipper

I just traded my 93 max for a 2000 SE. When I picked it up I noticed a few chips on the hood but I figured that was normal for a year old car. Now three weeks later it seems there are more chips appearing everyday. I want my name on the list of disappointed owners over the paint quality. I encourage anyone else on this site from Canada to reply also.
Old 03-09-2001, 07:50 PM

i remember when i had my grill painted by my bro in law, who is a body-man, so that it was body color, he was amazed by the number of chips i had already on my max. well, that was a year ago and its even worse now. count me in on anything you get together for nissan.
Old 03-09-2001, 08:18 PM

Re: Re: Nissan's formal definition of

Please give me a call with a way to get in touch with you. I'd like for us to start working on a layout over the next week to two weeks so we can get something up and running. I don't want to lose momentum on this topic.

Scott
Old 03-09-2001, 08:32 PM

I'm still here, but can't do much yet...

Please give me a call with a way to get in touch with you. I'd like for us to start working on a layout over the next week to two weeks so we can get something up and running. I don't want to lose momentum on this topic.
I just put the order in for the new server today. I should have it by the end of next week...hopefully assuming the order gets placed on Monday (I have ground shipping 3-5 days setup). I'll have to build the machine up, move my web data over to it and make some changes to my LAN. If it arrives by Friday, I'll have it up over the weekend.

I'll be very clear...I have no problem hosting this, but I don't particularly have time to do to much work on it...but I will help out when I do have time. Do you want a domain name linked to it...I can just post the site at an IP address...i.e. http://xx.xx.xx.xx/nissan or you, or somebody, can register a domain name and register me as the DNS host and I'll do the rest. Also, let me know whether this is to be a simple site or if you are going to go crazy and I need to install server extensions of any sort. I will run the site on an IIS 5.0 box with Win2K on the back-end so Frontpage Server Extensions will be available if you're a web designer...otherwise, if you just need a simple form to collect names and contact info, that's much easier. I'm not sure what you want the site to collect...what sort of info?
Old 03-09-2001, 09:26 PM

Re: I'm still here, but can't do much yet...

I'll be very clear...I have no problem hosting this, but I don't particularly have time to do to much work on it...but I will help out when I do have time. Do you want a domain name linked to it...I can just post the site at an IP address...i.e. http://xx.xx.xx.xx/nissan or you, or somebody, can register a domain name and register me as the DNS host and I'll do the rest. Also, let me know whether this is to be a simple site or if you are going to go crazy and I need to install server extensions of any sort. I will run the site on an IIS 5.0 box with Win2K on the back-end so Frontpage Server Extensions will be available if you're a web designer...otherwise, if you just need a simple form to collect names and contact info, that's much easier. I'm not sure what you want the site to collect...what sort of info?
I want something simple, and I do not have the technical knowledge to do much at all in the way of setup and layout. I can describe what I want, but that's it. If you don't think this is something you can assist with, then tell me now so we can find another volunteer. Again, it would be much more effective if we talked real-time. I've given you my cell; leave me a message as to when and how you can be reached. We can try to talk sometime next week. I hope that we can work together on this and make something happen. Thanks!

Scott
Old 03-09-2001, 10:07 PM

take some action >:-()

okay, count me in for any action with the maxima paint job disappointment....i havn't purchase my max yet but i plan to do so in 2 weeks and i've read a lot of great things about the max but this paint chip thing is really not reassuring me of what quality nissan max nissan is producing. I'm in someway second guessing myself on weather to go with the max ae r not now. please keep this alive and take some action. just give me the word and i'll help in anyway i can, i can be reached at pctech500@yahoo.com
Old 03-10-2001, 10:11 AM

Action

I'm looking into false advertising claims on the whole "diamond" thing.

There is a lot of recourse available if it was in fact misleading.

1. Negative P.R.- Imagine nissan on 60 minutes for false advertising. (Nissan really won't want that.)

2. Better Business Bureau. -Yes, it works on big companies too. Enough complaints, and they lose their membership. Which also generates mucho bad P.R.

3. Federal Trade Commision- this is the Gov't authority who takes action on misleading advertising claims. They act only if they receive enough complaints.

4. Consumer watchdog groups. Watch Ralph Nader bite Mr. K in the ***.

5. Legal action- If the claim was false, we have ground for a class-action suit. Should be a last resort.

These are just a few ideas for other means of taking action besides a long list of p.o.-ed owners. There are more.

Once again, I have the brochure and video- I'll take a look at the claims and the legal copy.

Scott- let me know when you want to discuss copy for the web site.

tstaut@excite.com
Old 03-10-2001, 07:04 PM

got to get back on top

ok, this subject seems to have stayed dorment again, we got to get this conversation back on top and keep it alive, y is it that no one is interested in it anymore? don't you guys want to see something done to this prob with nissan? LETS DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!!!!! >:-0
Old 03-10-2001, 07:17 PM
Old Fuddy Duddy

I read that someone was going to get a

website up and going on this. I have had mine two weeks and been very aware about what people have had to say on this topic. I hand washed my car again this weekend and looked
very close. There are tiny nicks everywhere in the front of the car. There is even a spot where the clearcoat is peeling back from the paint without a chip being present. This is complete crap. a 20somthing car and the paint wont even stay on the car??? I make sure I drive away from people and that still does not seem to help. I feel quit helpless....
Old 03-10-2001, 11:05 PM
a33

paint chips

i had my max for 10 days
and i found 4 chip spots on the front of the car already
makes me wanna cry, especially when my max is white
Old 03-11-2001, 08:33 AM

rackem up

5 small chips, 1 dime sized chip and clearcoat peeling -- 4000 kms.

The other 2 cars in our house are 3 and 4 years old and sure they have some chips but considering their age and milage.. my max is way worse off.

WTF?? It seems to be such a common problem. Are ppl just gonna live with it?? I will call the 800 number on Monday and vent.

Old 03-12-2001, 10:45 PM
Henry

2k1 AE

Originally posted by rerunn
5 small chips, 1 dime sized chip and clearcoat peeling -- 4000 kms.

The other 2 cars in our house are 3 and 4 years old and sure they have some chips but considering their age and milage.. my max is way worse off.

WTF?? It seems to be such a common problem. Are ppl just gonna live with it?? I will call the 800 number on Monday and vent.

I have my max. just 2 months and notice some paint problems but my dealer took care of the problem and I am concern about the long term. I am considering puting on a 3m clear tape to protect the hood but I am not sure of the long term affects of the tape because I beleieve the paint needs to breath or the paint may crack. Anybody else have the 3m tape put on for a long period of time on the maxima's.

Old 03-13-2001, 07:18 AM

Re: 2k1 AE

Originally posted by Henry

I have my max. just 2 months and notice some paint problems but my dealer took care of the problem and I am concern about the long term. I am considering puting on a 3m clear tape to protect the hood but I am not sure of the long term affects of the tape because I beleieve the paint needs to breath or the paint may crack. Anybody else have the 3m tape put on for a long period of time on the maxima's.
Henry, please see thread on 3M hood tape.
Old 03-13-2001, 07:49 AM

As much as it pains me to see any rock chips on my new car, I think that the problem is not specific to the 5th gen. Max. Many 4th gen. owners have paint chip problems and my 96 I30t also had numerous chips and tiny pits. FYI, Hondas are also prone to poor paint, my 96 Civic LX developed similar paint problems within a year of owning it. After a repaint at the dealer, the new paint has kept up pretty well, I've seen only a couple of chips in the last 4 years.
Old 03-13-2001, 11:25 AM

paint chips

I too am extremely disappointed in the quality of paint on this $28,000 car. I had a honda crx that had better paint after 4 years in Atlanta traffic than this car does in 1!!!!
The first day I had the car(I was driving it home!!) it started to sprikle a little bit, so I turned on the wipers...when it stopped raining, I noticed a scratch on the windshield-from the wiper!!!! and of course it was right in my line of site. not to mention all the other chips and pitting on the windshield.
I also have the previously mentioned 'excessive' paint chips on the hood, and have noticed that the paint seems to be a little on the thin side The overall quality of this car, for the money, makes me long for the days of the trusty CRX Si. Even the floor mats (lite gray) don't seem to ever come clean like they should. I don't get them excessively dirty, just normal W&T, and they are still stained ugly. Oh well, count me in for the class action, that is if I don't sell the car first.

Old 03-13-2001, 11:31 AM

Floor mats...

I have found that the Carper Cleaner made by Blue Magic (light blue spray can, $3.99 at Pep Boys) works great on floor mats and carpeting.
Old 03-13-2001, 03:56 PM

Server update

To those paying attention to my posts...my server order finally went through today (Dell f'd up the original order)...hopefully have it within 3-5 days. Will follow-up at that time.
Old 03-15-2001, 09:09 PM

Re: Server update

To those paying attention to my posts...my server order finally went through today (Dell f'd up the original order)...hopefully have it within 3-5 days. Will follow-up at that time.
Thanks for the update. I have a message from Travis, aka Adboy, to call him as he's ready to assist with text. Just give me a call when you are ready to talk content. I'll be on the road Monday and Tuesday (Hartford, Boston) so try to catch me on my cell. Look forward to working with you on this. I'm anxious to get this project going.

srm
Old 03-16-2001, 07:32 AM

Update on "diamond" claim

Unfortunately, the only news I have right now is that I can’t find my frickin’ video and brochure. I’ll turn my apt upside down this weekend. If I still can’t find it, I’ll see if someone around here has one.

Travis
Old 03-16-2001, 07:35 AM

Diamond Claim

I've got the brochure if you need it.
I can scan it and e-mail you a copy if you'd like.
Old 03-16-2001, 07:54 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

How is this going to help/hurt me

I want to protect my finish while we are "explaining" to Nissan how poor their paint is. I am putting on the xpel 3m tape (not really tape per say,go to xpel.com) so that I do not get anymore chips. I am having to do this to protect my car as a result of their problems.

Should this process actually go in Maxima owners way, would I hinder my chances of getting my car repaired if I take this preventative approach? Also do you think I could get reimpursed for my expenses? I understand that this would be on a theoretical level....
Old 03-21-2001, 07:12 PM

what happened?

happened to this? it got quiet and left in the dust just like other cars when raced with a max hahahaha
keep this alive
Old 03-23-2001, 08:44 PM

the dealer washed the car and it was finally sunny today so I got to see all the new paint chips that have happened in the past few weeks.
Angela found one on the driver's door guard, the passengers rear door guard.
the dealer noticed one on the lower lip of the front bumper
there is a chip missing above the driver's headlight
there is a chip towards the top of the hood

good thing the dealer got me touch-up paint.
and he has offerred to replace the door guard. (we think his people scratched it up)
Old 03-24-2001, 06:39 AM

Re: Server update

Michael, I trust that your order DID finally go through and you have or will soon be receiving your server. Just let me know when you are ready to go. I'll be taking some time off this week, so I've finally got some time to devote to this project.

Keep me posted. Travis, aka Adboy, is also interested in supporting this effort. So, let me know when we are ready to go!

Thanks, srm
Old 03-24-2001, 10:09 AM

I'm glad I set email notifications...

Michael, I trust that your order DID finally go through and you have or will soon be receiving your server. Just let me know when you are ready to go. I'll be taking some time off this week, so I've finally got some time to devote to this project.
I had pretty much forgot about this. Yes, my server is in and now up and running as my web server. I have www.nissanpaint.com and www.maximapaint.com registered and will put them up on my web server. It will take 24 hours or so for the DNS changes to take place.

The only catch is...I'm not designing the web site. Somebody else gives me an ftp site I can get the code from...its up and running. My server can support SQL databases and Frontpage Server Extensions and all standard XML, ASP, HTML, DHTML, etc. As soon as the DNS registration goes through Internic, you'll see a basic page up and running at the site.

I SHOULD ADD: Anybody who volunteers to work on the site. Keep in mind that I am not running this over a duplexed T3. I have about a 2MBs line and will throttle the bandwidth to the site if it begins to "take over" my line. This means that if the site is high bandwidth to start with due to excessive scripts and high res graphics, you can expect me to reduce its performance on purpose in order to keep my personal business needs at the forefront. So keep it simple please.
Old 03-24-2001, 10:25 AM

still on board

I washed my car the other day. What a horrifying experience!

Even the bugs chipped my paint.

I think Nissian should pay for us to have the 3M stuff.

My dealer just started carrying it.
Old 03-24-2001, 11:12 AM

Re: I'm glad I set email notifications...

I had pretty much forgot about this. Yes, my server is in and now up and running as my web server. I have www.nissanpaint.com and www.maximapaint.com registered and will put them up on my web server. It will take 24 hours or so for the DNS changes to take place.

The only catch is...I'm not designing the web site. Somebody else gives me an ftp site I can get the code from...its up and running. My server can support SQL databases and Frontpage Server Extensions and all standard XML, ASP, HTML, DHTML, etc. As soon as the DNS registration goes through Internic, you'll see a basic page up and running at the site.

I SHOULD ADD: Anybody who volunteers to work on the site. Keep in mind that I am not running this over a duplexed T3. I have about a 2MBs line and will throttle the bandwidth to the site if it begins to "take over" my line. This means that if the site is high bandwidth to start with due to excessive scripts and high res graphics, you can expect me to reduce its performance on purpose in order to keep my personal business needs at the forefront. So keep it simple please.
Michael, I barely have a clue about what you are talking about. Perhaps the three of us, you, Travis, and I should have a conference call to plan and determine whether or not we three can provide the resources to get this done or we need to recruit someone else. I am not the techy person needed on this, I can only speak to what I think it needs to look like.

Thoughts???

srm

Quick Reply: Paint chips on 5th gen unusually excessive??