5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Paint chips on 5th gen unusually excessive??

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2001, 11:33 AM

chipped before I got the car....

I ordered my Max from my dealer. I live in San Francisco, but they had to transport it from Sacramento. When I went to pick up the car, the salesman noticed 2 chips on the windshield... and I didn't even drive it yet!
Had to wait another 2 days for them to put in a new windshield before I could pick up the car. I will inspect the car for paint chips... I usually pay someone to detail the car, so I didn't get a chance to inspect it thoroughly. Will post my finding...
Old 03-24-2001, 01:46 PM

HOLY SH*T....

i was cleaning my car cause its pretty nice outside, and i was trying the dirt off of the hood, when i noticed that its not dirt and a BILLION freaken chips. the entire hood, front the front to the windshield, has tiny chips on it. thats really upsetting, cause my friend has a 1996 black max gxe, and his doesn't have nearly as much as mine on it. i guess the only good thing is that to chips are VERY small, and the cant be seen unless you stick your face up against the car, it still sux though. last time i ever buy a black nissan.
Old 03-24-2001, 03:31 PM
Adam01GXE

just got bitten by the chip bug. its only one, but its about a 1/4" long and 1/16" wide...VERY noticeable. ugh. what can ya do?

Old 03-24-2001, 07:05 PM
My 4DSC

i aint reading this long @$$ thread....

any Icelandic White Pearls havin this problem?
cuz I'm not...
almost 10k miles and not a single nic/chip.
i guess im just speeeecial.

Old 03-24-2001, 07:47 PM

nice peeling off there....where is that?
Old 03-24-2001, 09:26 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Re: i aint reading this long @$$ thread....

Originally posted by My 4DSC
any Icelandic White Pearls havin this problem?
cuz I'm not...
almost 10k miles and not a single nic/chip.
i guess im just speeeecial.
At least a dozen or so with only 2500 miles on the OD. Just replaced my fog lights and they are TOTALY covered with chips. Damn, can't imagine when I get 20-30K miles and I try to sell this car.
Old 03-24-2001, 10:44 PM

What's the consensus on nose masks / hood covers

You guys are scaring me with this thread... I just
got my pre-owned 2000 GXE home on Saturday and I
did notice a paint chip or two on the hood. (and
the previous owner had really poor aim when it
came to getting the key in the lock ;-)

What is the consensus on nose masks / hood covers?
Do they help, or are they just as likely to damage
your paint as flying objects?

I read the installation directions for the Nissan
nose mask and it looks like it's real nuisance to
maintain if you live somewhere where it rains more
than once or twice a year. The Saddleman products
claim that they don't have to be removed if they
get wet. I'm not sure I believe that.
Old 03-25-2001, 08:56 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

3M stuff...

I am puttin on the 3M plastic this week. I just cant stand the thought of having screwed up paint. Its costing me 330 plus tax, but the though of just having a line visible on my car compared to dealing with bras, paint fading differently and all the other stuff, I am giving the plastic a try. Hope it turns out well. I have read good things about it, hopefully it will give my Nissan a chance against all the gravel trucks on 275.....
Old 03-25-2001, 12:18 PM

Re: 3M stuff...

Originally posted by Colonel
I am puttin on the 3M plastic this week. I just cant stand the thought of having screwed up paint. Its costing me 330 plus tax, but the though of just having a line visible on my car compared to dealing with bras, paint fading differently and all the other stuff, I am giving the plastic a try. Hope it turns out well. I have read good things about it, hopefully it will give my Nissan a chance against all the gravel trucks on 275.....
I have the 3m paint protection film on my 2KSE front end. That is: hood, bumper,headlight and foglight. I paid $300 for this stuff I guess my investment is well paid.

check www.clearmask.com
Old 03-25-2001, 02:19 PM

Re: 3M stuff...

How does it look? Are you happy with the
results? Did you do it yourself or did a dealer
do it? This stuff reminds me of the do-it-yourself
window tint film kits that you always see botched up.
I have to wonder how difficult it is to get it to
look as if it isn't there...

Any thoughts?

Originally posted by exunaja

I have the 3m paint protection film on my 2KSE front end. That is: hood, bumper,headlight and foglight. I paid $300 for this stuff I guess my investment is well paid.

check www.clearmask.com
Old 03-25-2001, 02:53 PM

car chips just sittin' in garage!

Ok...I've not driven my '01 SE AE for 2 weeks, since I last washed and waxed it. I've been out of town, did some work on the 93 SE and drove it for 2 weeks to make sure what I did took care of my problems.

So, take the car cover off my car in the garage, drive a 3 mile round trip to church and back yesterday, and my son steps out and tells me I have two chips on my hood. I say, ha ha, but not funny. He says, no, really. I don't believe him so I get out to look. He is right! I've got two chips on the hood, and the car has not gone anywhere.

And it even stays covered in the garage to keep the cats off of it.

What is going on?

Ok, Michael, Travis, and whoever else is with us, when will we be ready to get a sign up page operational????

I love my car, and this is a ridiculous condition for a $27k car.

What is next?

srm
Old 03-25-2001, 04:58 PM

Yes I paint on the 2000 max is very thin and weak, i have chips all over the front bumper and hood. And the touch up paint is useless.

My 87 max, didnt have any paint probs, I miss my 87 .

I am gonna write a complaint to nissan now.

2000 MAXIMA (a dud)
Old 03-26-2001, 09:09 AM

Ok, I want to participate in this thread also. I have somewhere around 15 chips on my hood. It seems as though if a big bug hits the hood of my car it chips the paint and its really discouraging. I dont follow behind big trucks, in fact I totally avoid them because I know what they can do. Before the maxima I owned a 94 Oldsmobile achieva and I did not have one paint chip on the hood of that car. I drove that car in the same areas that I drive the maxima so there is definately somthing wrong with the paint. All my chips are all along the front edge of the car, near the headlights and in the center above the Nissan logo. What exactly is this paint sealant thing that nissan has to do every 6 months. Has anyone else taken thier car in to have this done?
Old 03-26-2001, 09:18 AM

Re: Re: 3M stuff...

Originally posted by Scooter
How does it look? Are you happy with the
results? Did you do it yourself or did a dealer
do it? This stuff reminds me of the do-it-yourself
window tint film kits that you always see botched up.
I have to wonder how difficult it is to get it to
look as if it isn't there...

Any thoughts?

It looks great just like a thin clear plastic sitting on top of your hood and bumper. People won't notice it unless they look at the car closely. I am happy with the result.. but.. There are not many dealer or shops that had a good experience with the installation especially with the 5th gen max due to the body curve of the hood and side mirror and etc.
I believe "do it yourself" is not a good idea unles you have all the appropriate skill and tool as a window film installer.
If you are around dallas/ft. worth area you are welcome to take a look at it. I have no digital camera, I'll try to get a hook of someone's then I'll post it on this forum

good luck
Old 03-26-2001, 09:48 AM

Originally posted by AzMax
Ok, I want to participate in this thread also. I have somewhere around 15 chips on my hood. It seems as though if a big bug hits the hood of my car it chips the paint and its really discouraging. I dont follow behind big trucks, in fact I totally avoid them because I know what they can do. Before the maxima I owned a 94 Oldsmobile achieva and I did not have one paint chip on the hood of that car. I drove that car in the same areas that I drive the maxima so there is definately somthing wrong with the paint. All my chips are all along the front edge of the car, near the headlights and in the center above the Nissan logo. What exactly is this paint sealant thing that nissan has to do every 6 months. Has anyone else taken thier car in to have this done?
My car had the clearcoat sealer, whatever, done by the dealer. It obviously has not had much of an impact. Not as much impact as the bugs & rocks have ha ha.

So, probably a waste of time and money.

Just bought my 2nd bottle of touch up paint today. Let's see, 1 bottle every 4 months? Never bought touch up for any other car!!

srm
Old 03-26-2001, 07:33 PM

Hey guys...count me in as another unhappy Maxima owner. I have a lot of issues with Nissan and one of them is the crap quality of the paint. My Gray Lustre has chips all over the front of the car and it seems if someone even knudges their door into you on a lot you are looking at a signifigant chip. Someone else mentioned about the quality of the windshield...it sucks!! My windshield had a whole bunch of pits in it within a month of owning it...quality is horrible!

After saying all that, I also lurk over at the Celica Forums and it sounds like those guys are also having mucho problems with their paint also. Sounds like a lot of Celica front air dams are turning white at the bottom! (or Black if your car is white) Also many complaints about rock chips etc on hood.....

Sounds like all Jap paint is pretty bad the past few years....ack
Old 03-26-2001, 09:20 PM
brianp

Chips on the way home from purchase

I can't believe that I've finally found a thread of users having the same paint chip problems with their maximas. I bought my 01' SE (Marlot) Max in October and had three paint chips on the hood by the time I got home from the dealer within only 5 miles. Now, 5 months later, I have chips all over the car and my windshield seems to have too many chips as well. I am a very cautious driver and avoid driving behind large trucks, etc. After finding this forum, I'm convinced that there is something wrong with this paint. Please email me (pisowicz@bellatlantic.net) if I can contribute.

Thanks
Brian
(Pittsburgh, PA)

Old 03-26-2001, 10:11 PM

Just add me to the list

Almost a year old, a ton of paint chips, very unhappy with the paint and I hope something can be done; although knowing Nissan, I doubt it.
Old 03-26-2001, 10:24 PM

My letter and web content is currently in process

To everyone that has posted on this thread: I am currently putting the finishing touches (from my perspective) on a document that will serve as a cover letter to Nissan and the content of the web page that will be set-up to collect information on disgruntled owners which will be shared with Nissan, to the extent necessary for impact (no pun intended).

Check this thread tomorrow night (most likely). I'll try to get the documents set as attachments that you can review and provide some feedback.

I hope to have a formal sitet up and ready to accept expressions of concern and dissatisfaction very soon, but that piece is dependent on a couple others making it happen.

At some point, when we as a group think we've collected sufficient information to get Nissan's attention, we'll print, package, and mail to the person that we will find that can get this in process.

Thanks for everyone's patience as this thread has grown.

Please, please, enlighten other owners you come into contact with about what we're doing, and stay in contact with them to encourage them to sign-on.

Thanks, again.

Scott
Old 03-26-2001, 10:35 PM

Re: My letter and web content is currently in process

Originally posted by srmtn
To everyone that has posted on this thread: I am currently putting the finishing touches (from my perspective) on a document that will serve as a cover letter to Nissan and the content of the web page that will be set-up to collect information on disgruntled owners which will be shared with Nissan, to the extent necessary for impact (no pun intended).

Check this thread tomorrow night (most likely). I'll try to get the documents set as attachments that you can review and provide some feedback.

I hope to have a formal sitet up and ready to accept expressions of concern and dissatisfaction very soon, but that piece is dependent on a couple others making it happen.

At some point, when we as a group think we've collected sufficient information to get Nissan's attention, we'll print, package, and mail to the person that we will find that can get this in process.

Thanks for everyone's patience as this thread has grown.

Please, please, enlighten other owners you come into contact with about what we're doing, and stay in contact with them to encourage them to sign-on.

Thanks, again.

Scott
Thank YOU for putting this together. Although I have my doubts, if something does get done, this was a great grass-roots effort. I will encourage others in hopes of getting this rectified. Nice work so far.
Old 03-27-2001, 06:55 AM

Where's Erin Brockovich when ya need her?!? seriously though... it seems all new cars have this problem (I've recently seen long threads about it on brand new WRXs). I doubt we're going to get anything done... but if we do that'd rock!
Old 03-27-2001, 07:11 AM

Put me in on it too. This is ridiculous. My car only has 20k miles and looks like it has 120k.
Old 03-27-2001, 09:33 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: My letter and web content is currently in process

Scott: Did you get my email? I sent you one from the new web/email address I've set up for this? Please reply, I am ready to post your cover letter on the web at the address I discussed with you before.
Old 03-27-2001, 11:17 AM

throwing my hat into the ring.....

I'm hoping that there's strength in numbers so I'm adding my name to the list of disappointed maxima owners whose cars are peppered with paint chips. Mine are primarily on the front bumper and rocker panels. It was a little upsetting the first time I hand washed the car and thought the chips were dirt......boy was I wrong. Anyway, please include me on your email list if things progress. Hopefully I'm not the only Canadian contingent.

Thanks,
Paul.
email: gordonpa@cibc.ca
Old 03-27-2001, 01:45 PM

Re: throwing my hat into the ring.....

Just wanted to officially go on the record here
as being a Maxima paint casualty. I've got a
2k GLE with 12K on it and loads of microscopic
paint chips. I'm going for the "matte" finish
- it requires less maintenance.

Scott
Old 03-29-2001, 03:47 PM

Just keeping this thread near the top...

Srmtn and I are almost ready to launch the site for this issue. Srmtn is going to deserve a great deal of thanks from us if this gets us where we hope it will since he is putting a lot of time into it.

Keep watching this post. I'll formally announce my site for this soon, soon, soon and we'll need everyone to support the cause once its ready.
Old 03-29-2001, 10:14 PM
DKNYchinito

in the past factories used lead-based paints, but in present factories are all using water-based paints which are alot weaker and chip alot easier. all new cars have this problem, ive heard. its the epa's fault!!! j/k

-D

Old 03-31-2001, 06:31 AM
GuamMax

Same Problem

On the first week of ownership I dropped my keys less than 12 inches to a spot right below the left back passenger window. I was stupefied that the paint chipped. No dent or anything physical on the metal, the paint simply popped off from what looks like very poor adhesion. The dealer gave me a small dispenser of Icelandic pearl matching paint! I've since noticed another chip on my two month old car on the front hood.

Old 03-31-2001, 08:27 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Hmm

I have 30k on the car and I am getting the hood re-finished and will put xpel or something on it to protect it. I don't think I'm doing touch-up paint ... I'm not sure I could make it look decent.

Anyone have tricks for making touch-up paint look good on a pearl coat like mine? Other than having the whole hood re-finished?

I have like 5 or 6 road chips. Want to make my car look new.

/aac
Old 03-31-2001, 08:50 AM
GuamMax

Re: Hmm

Originally posted by acitrano
I have 30k on the car and I am getting the hood re-finished and will put xpel or something on it to protect it. I don't think I'm doing touch-up paint ... I'm not sure I could make it look decent.

Anyone have tricks for making touch-up paint look good on a pearl coat like mine? Other than having the whole hood re-finished?

I have like 5 or 6 road chips. Want to make my car look new.

/aac
The touch up paint I got was very thin. It took a lot of shaking to get it thicker and more consistent. Still, I had to apply it several times lightly or else it tended to flow.

This is what I've been told is the best way to touch up. 1) Clean with a degreaser to get rid of wax 2) get a pencil eraser and wrap around with a fine grade sand paper (like emery) 3) lightly sand the edges of the chip and the primer and 4)touch up. It won't look perfect but this method will do the job. What you really should be concerned is exposing the primer and galvanization . The zinc (galvinized primer) will only protect the steel so long. So you want to put a good strong barrier on top ASAP.

It won't be flush with the rest of the car but it's barely noticeable.

Note: Repainting is generally never going to be as good as the original paint in terms of corrosion protection. Despite our cheap topcoats that tend to chip, an after market painter cannot dip galvanize the metal, electrodeposit an epoxy primer, nor bake a finish. They are also similarly limited by emissions restrictions. So I think touching up as much as possible is the way to go.

Old 03-31-2001, 06:49 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Hmm

Originally posted by GuamMax

The touch up paint I got was very thin. It took a lot of shaking to get it thicker and more consistent. Still, I had to apply it several times lightly or else it tended to flow.

This is what I've been told is the best way to touch up. 1) Clean with a degreaser to get rid of wax 2) get a pencil eraser and wrap around with a fine grade sand paper (like emery) 3) lightly sand the edges of the chip and the primer and 4)touch up. It won't look perfect but this method will do the job. What you really should be concerned is exposing the primer and galvanization . The zinc (galvinized primer) will only protect the steel so long. So you want to put a good strong barrier on top ASAP.

It won't be flush with the rest of the car but it's barely noticeable.

Note: Repainting is generally never going to be as good as the original paint in terms of corrosion protection. Despite our cheap topcoats that tend to chip, an after market painter cannot dip galvanize the metal, electrodeposit an epoxy primer, nor bake a finish. They are also similarly limited by emissions restrictions. So I think touching up as much as possible is the way to go.
Then there's this LANGKA stuff that's supposed to help smooth the touch-up blob. I have some but have never used it. Hearing mixed reviews...

Thanks for the points.

/aac
Old 04-06-2001, 10:41 AM

keepin' it alive

sorry this is still an "in process" issue. We're working to get the site up...will keep everyone posted.

srm
Old 04-06-2001, 12:54 PM

Paint Chipping

Just bought my 01 Majestic Blue AE in February, and I already have noticeable paint chips on the hood and bumper. Bought the factory touch-up paint, which took care of the white spots, but it is fairly obvious from certain angles. Very, very disappointing, as everything else about the car seems first class. I am willing join all of you in any petitions and group complaints to Nissan regarding paint quality.

Ron
Old 04-06-2001, 02:09 PM

this is the longest?

i do believe that is the longest thread ever. it's got to most read and respond to be....keep it going and lets see how high we can get it.
Old 04-06-2001, 02:38 PM

Re: this is the longest?

Originally posted by MaxSEAE
i do believe that is the longest thread ever. it's got to most read and respond to be....keep it going and lets see how high we can get it.
I agree and that is because this issue is very real and something Nissan, hopefully, will be forced to recognize once Srmtn and I get our web site up and running to register the complaints. I echo Srmtn's comments and apologize for the delay in starting the effort. I have been forced to get a new line put in by my ISP and am waiting until that happens to launch the site to ensure it remains up and running 24x7. Srmtn and I are both looking forward to taking this issue to Nissan with the support of all Maxima owners facing the paint issue.

Looking forward to having the site active within two weeks. Hopefully this coming week.
Old 04-06-2001, 05:57 PM
Lebats

Paint pain in Upstate NY

Guys, Let me "chip" in my two cents here.
I too have paint chip problems on the hood. But that is not the worst. My 2001 Gray Lustre GXE, bought Oct 25 2000, 9800 miles to date looks like it has been sandblasted at the bottom. I drive highways and county roads on my way to work, and yes they are being sanded in the wintertime. But the paint work has been completely dulled by the sand and grime on the road. The car is equipped with splashguards, but as you can see on the picture, they don't sufficiently protect the paint.
One more winter and I'll be without paint on the lower doorpanels and wheel wells. Did anybody got any of this fixed through the warranty?

Ad

Guys, we're onto something with this paint thing. Another forum user sent me an email suggesting we set-up a special link for owners to file complaints and perhaps start a class action seeking repainting with a QUALITY paint as a remedy. I don't know if it would need to go that far, but I'm of the opinion that we're all going to be showing up for front-end paint jobs at our expense if something isn't done by Nissan.

Let's encourage others to keep posts coming on this thread. I'll print and mail this to Nissan as an indication that I'm not an anomoly out here just whining about a few scrapes and scratches if I have to.

Regarding the hood cover...(and thanks for the compliments on my car...I often find myself just staring at thinking what a striking car!) here is the info:

Part #45632-01: Custom Hood Protector: 2001 Nissan Maxima
Price: $42.99, with additional $5.00 shipping

I ordered on-line @ http://www.saddleman.com
You may also phone @ 435.752.1000

I had my cover within 3 days.

Note, the full bra, which saddleman also offers, doesn't fit the AE...but they do store requests and if enough come in, they will place into production...so those of you with AE and an interest in the full gear...PLEASE CALL AND REQUEST! Even if you are not, call anyway so those of us that do want to minimize the damage to our car can have a better choice.

Thanks! Scott

Old 04-07-2001, 06:13 AM
brianp

Clear Cover ???

Has anyone seen this clear hood/bumper cover from 3M?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cg...item=576292544

I wonder what it looks like on the max ???

Old 04-07-2001, 08:30 AM
Lebats

Re: Re: this is the longest?

Keep me posted, I'll write!!

Ad

Originally posted by Michael98033

I agree and that is because this issue is very real and something Nissan, hopefully, will be forced to recognize once Srmtn and I get our web site up and running to register the complaints. I echo Srmtn's comments and apologize for the delay in starting the effort. I have been forced to get a new line put in by my ISP and am waiting until that happens to launch the site to ensure it remains up and running 24x7. Srmtn and I are both looking forward to taking this issue to Nissan with the support of all Maxima owners facing the paint issue.

Looking forward to having the site active within two weeks. Hopefully this coming week.

Old 04-07-2001, 11:55 AM
englej

Re: Re: Re: Nissan's formal definition of

I have had my maxima for 2 months and have found many chips on the front bumper and hood. I have thought about a nose mask, but feel it could damage the paint worse than the rocks. Would like to be part of any action taken against Nissan. I love my Maxima except for this chip problem. I also have found blemishes on the back bumper.

I

Just for the sake of everyone here who does not live in whatever town you live...what's the area code for the phone number?

I have a new server coming in around the 20th. I could, potentially, host the site if we were pressed..current server is too overloaded, but can do it after the new one comes in. If somebody else is better equipped immediately, I have my own DNS host registered and will provide the primary or secondary host for the site if needed. This is assuming its hosted outside of this site.
[/I]

Please give me a call with a way to get in touch with you. I'd like for us to start working on a layout over the next week to two weeks so we can get something up and running. I don't want to lose momentum on this topic.

Scott
[/QUOTE]

Old 04-07-2001, 03:03 PM

Re: Clear Cover ???

I'm getting the 3M Paint Protection Kits on today. Let's see if I can get my hands on a digital cam so that I can patch some pics through. This kit better work, it's costing me quite a bit to get it professionally installed.

QUOTE]Originally posted by brianp
Has anyone seen this clear hood/bumper cover from 3M?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cg...item=576292544

I wonder what it looks like on the max ???
[/QUOTE]

Quick Reply: Paint chips on 5th gen unusually excessive??