5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.
View Poll Results: best intake?
Injen
41.57%
Frankencar
32.58%
Placeracing
15.73%
others
10.11%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Intake. Injen VS Others. Your opinion needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2004, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by maxfreak_98
I ordered my Frankencar intake at the beginning of October. They charged my CC right away and I never received the damn thing . I left many messages, emails for a status, without any response. I called my CC company and told them my story and I had a refund in two weeks.
Needless to say, I will never do business with them again!

Haha yeah dude, they take yrs to get that intake to you. Its best if you can purchase it from a .org member or a GD.
Old 01-02-2004, 09:16 AM
MK3 Supra and Focus ST

PR CAI. True cold air, Concealed in wheel well which means no water, very good sounds, gains and looks. Didnt mind cutting hole in wheel well which is concealed by battery and fuse box.
Old 01-02-2004, 10:35 AM

i think im ganna go w/injen
Old 01-02-2004, 11:25 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by PhxBlue
PR CAI. True cold air, Concealed in wheel well which means no water, very good sounds, gains and looks. Didnt mind cutting hole in wheel well which is concealed by battery and fuse box.
Does this get dirt/mud/etc flung up on it from the tires?
Old 01-02-2004, 11:46 AM
MK3 Supra and Focus ST

nope, there is the platic wheel well shrouding that keeps the filter concealed. The filter sits in the wheel well behind the left front fog and corner light.
Old 01-04-2004, 09:35 AM

i don't see how this is even debatable.
a place racing cai is going to be head and
shoulders above the hai's.

an hai is basically a sound / cosmetic mod.
christ, a gab yields better gains than an aftermarket
hai.
Old 01-04-2004, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by jjames

hai.
whats an HAI???
Old 01-04-2004, 11:09 AM

hot air intake.
Old 01-04-2004, 12:45 PM

hai.

bit isnt injen Cold air?? or areu not talking about injen.
Old 01-04-2004, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by PearlWhtMaX2000
bit isnt injen Cold air?? or areu not talking about injen.
no, the injen is not a cai. at best, it would be considered a wai. (warm air)
Old 01-04-2004, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by maximo-SE
Haha yeah dude, they take yrs to get that intake to you. Its best if you can purchase it from a .org member or a GD.
you guys are scaring me...
Frankencar got my $$ 10 days ago. I can't get a return e-mail or a return phone call. Are you saying there is a chance I will never see my intake show up?
Old 01-04-2004, 03:14 PM

so injen or frankencar????? i donno which one to get sooo confused
Old 01-04-2004, 03:17 PM

frankencar!!!
Old 01-04-2004, 03:49 PM

either get a cai (prc) or don't waste you money.
(unless you want it JUST for looks.
Old 01-04-2004, 06:51 PM

Definitely go with Frankencar. When you receive it in November, you can tell us your opinion of the power it makes .

I am an Injen fan all the way. Frankencar is an overpriced POS IMO. Yes the Injen filter is too small and needs to be replaced with the K&N RU-2820, but it is still MUCH better the Frankencar. When you are sitting in rush hour traffic, inching along at 3mph, in 90+ degree weather, which one would you want. I have been there and done that. I am not going to lie and say that the Injen does not suffer from heat soak but at least I can get power on demand.
Old 01-04-2004, 09:12 PM

hai.
do you have any dynos to prove the BS you just wrote.....
I do - i gained 15 whp with my WAI(Franken) and a b pipe.....

GAB yields gains but not proven to be better than any WAI- butt dynos
by org members that rather destroy their stock airbox than to pay for an intake don't necessarily count......
Old 01-04-2004, 09:18 PM

i love it when people post how much they gained with an intake and a (insert other mod here), when they are trying to justify spending $$$ on their cosmetic mod.

let us know what you gained w/ the b pipe, not te b pipe, nitrous, ypipe, super charger, cat back, and stillen stickers.
Old 01-04-2004, 09:25 PM

i love it when people post how much they gained with an intake and a (insert other mod here), when they are trying to justify spending $$$ on their cosmetic mod.

let us know what you gained w/ the b pipe, not te b pipe, nitrous, ypipe, super charger, cat back, and stillen stickers.
you obviouly have no clue what your talking about....

intakes create greater gains in combination with other mods (i.e. exhaust)

any intake alone CAI or not- will not yield more than 4-5 hp alone
Old 01-05-2004, 11:24 PM

so will the INJEN cAI give me any gains or not??
Old 01-06-2004, 06:48 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

so will the INJEN cAI give me any gains or not??
YES, CAI, WAI, all will give a noticeable gains. I just ordered the Berk intake (wai) 99.95 shipped, best deal goin'. I beleive the PR cai is the only true CAI. Air is drawn from outside the engine bay unlike the others (including injen).
Any custom intake is better than stock, just find the one you like best and go for it.
Old 01-06-2004, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by 30585
The Thing With A Cai It All Depends On The Area You Live In For Instance In Miami Its Not Worth It Because The Air Is Still As Hot As Pamela Anderson Butt Naked Given Head. So Here In Miami It Doesnt Matter Except For The Kinda Winter Time.
Why Do You Always Type Like This??!!
Old 01-06-2004, 07:41 AM

yeah, it SHOULD give you some gains. the only way you're probably going to get any more gains over a gab is to go prcai.

but, like manny said (yes manny i'm agreeing with you) you should see more gains with an intake AND an aftermarket exhaust.

what I would do. get the prcai and a budget y-pipe. but hey, that's just me
Old 01-06-2004, 07:11 PM

but is pcCAI alot harder to install than injen? dont u need to drill?
Old 01-06-2004, 07:49 PM

Place racing cai needs you to drill something. thats all i remembered, and thats why i chose a frankencar over the CAI and WAI. Also the frankencar sounds aggressive once i hit 4ooorpms+ I love it!
Old 01-06-2004, 09:57 PM

Just cruising the forum tonight...had to add this...I have the Frankencar on my wife's 02 Max...love it...luckily had no issues.

I also have it on my Infiniti G35 and they did a template/R&D version for me...last effing spring...I am in an ongoing battle with them...their customer service does not exist...sad, very sad, b/c they have a great sounding product.
Old 01-06-2004, 10:18 PM

Place racing cai needs you to drill something. thats all i remembered, and thats why i chose a frankencar over the CAI and WAI. Also the frankencar sounds aggressive once i hit 4ooorpms+ I love it!

hmmmm i freally dont know if i wanna go w/Injen or frankencar...
Old 01-07-2004, 05:19 AM

I dont have any exp. with the Injen but I just installled the Frankencar over the weekend and I love it. The sound is great.

I agree with
Its best if you can purchase it from a .org member or a GD.
I bought mine from Maximam and everything went great. He shipped as soon as he got the money and answered any questions I had along the way.
Old 01-07-2004, 08:11 AM

cool, wow such a tough decission, frankencar or injen.....
Old 01-07-2004, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Lumbee1
jerome, before you go recommending the AEM bypass or installing it yourself, just realize that you lose power with it. Several members have purchased the AEM bypass, installed it, realized they lost power (butt dyno and real dyno), and removed it from the intake. Read my post above. Water injestion is NOT a problem with the Injen intake unless you normally drive in water that is 15 to 20 inches deep. Your interior will be flooded before the intake takes on water.
Thanks for the heads up on AEM bypass valves. I will just be more cautious when driving in flood areas by the bay.
Old 01-07-2004, 11:44 AM

no, the injen is not a cai. at best, it would be considered a wai. (warm air)
For some people the perception of a cold air intake is a little off. When did it become a cold air intake only if it was in the fender??

It doesn’t have to be in the fender to be a cold air intake. Remember that heat rises. So the pop chargers like Frankencar, Stillen, JWT, whatever will be taking in a good amount of hot air. The Injen sits below the battery away from the motor and away from the radiator. There is a small shield at the bottom of the engine bay to keep water and debris out but does see a very good amount of cold air. I used a temperature scope this past summer to take the temp of a fender located CAI and a front mount CAI (Like the Injen). The front mount intake pipe was much cooler than the Fender located CAI.

The Injen is a CAI and I have one on my max. The sound is godly the performance feels much better mid to high revs. I prefer any CAI over the top mounted pop charger.
Old 01-07-2004, 01:05 PM

cool, wow such a tough decission, frankencar or injen.....
The frankencar its worth!!! I have mine for alot of miles and sounds great... no problem at all!!! Its a great product... if you want to spend a lot of $$ get midpipe from frankencar and get Stillen or JWT filter because those filters are huge...
Old 01-07-2004, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Dave Jr
For some people the perception of a cold air intake is a little off. When did it become a cold air intake only if it was in the fender??

It doesn’t have to be in the fender to be a cold air intake. Remember that heat rises. So the pop chargers like Frankencar, Stillen, JWT, whatever will be taking in a good amount of hot air. The Injen sits below the battery away from the motor and away from the radiator. There is a small shield at the bottom of the engine bay to keep water and debris out but does see a very good amount of cold air. I used a temperature scope this past summer to take the temp of a fender located CAI and a front mount CAI (Like the Injen). The front mount intake pipe was much cooler than the Fender located CAI.

The Injen is a CAI and I have one on my max. The sound is godly the performance feels much better mid to high revs. I prefer any CAI over the top mounted pop charger.
That sounds good enough for me. I know the Injen pulls in cold air, I think the question is whether it heats up as it travels up the pipe (i.e. the pipe will become hot over time, and will heat the air as it rises), however I guess that's still better than a WAI such as the Frankencar, which pulls in hot air no matter what.
Old 01-07-2004, 01:15 PM

with frankencar i got nice copliments like "oh dude you have a supercharger",
"its a V8" , "fuc*ing loud yo" , "holly ****, what a huge filter"
Old 01-07-2004, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by spirilis
That sounds good enough for me. I know the Injen pulls in cold air, I think the question is whether it heats up as it travels up the pipe (i.e. the pipe will become hot over time, and will heat the air as it rises), however I guess that's still better than a WAI such as the Frankencar, which pulls in hot air no matter what.
I first want to say that any intake system over stock is an improvement. I have had both pop chargers and CAI's with good results from both.

After installing the Injen I can tell you that after removing the stock air box and stuff there is a wide open hole. The pipe is in the open and doesn't sit next to the motor like it appears in the pictures.

When we used the Temp scope we measured the heat of the pipe from the filter to the throttle body. The heat at the filter is were the the difference was. As it approached the engine compartment the temperatures started to even to a draw. The Front mount was a little cooler but nothing to say that it was greatly different than the fender mount.

My preference was not to cut into the fender. If I would decide to sell the car I didn't want to explain it if questions we asked.

My 2 cents

Ta Ta
Old 01-07-2004, 01:23 PM

Buy some header wraps and insulate the piping to keep the engine heat out...though it won't look as nice for showing. Your choice, looks or performance?
Old 01-07-2004, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Dave Jr
I first want to say that any intake system over stock is an improvement. I have had both pop chargers and CAI's with good results from both.

After installing the Injen I can tell you that after removing the stock air box and stuff there is a wide open hole. The pipe is in the open and doesn't sit next to the motor like it appears in the pictures.

When we used the Temp scope we measured the heat of the pipe from the filter to the throttle body. The heat at the filter is were the the difference was. As it approached the engine compartment the temperatures started to even to a draw. The Front mount was a little cooler but nothing to say that it was greatly different than the fender mount.

My preference was not to cut into the fender. If I would decide to sell the car I didn't want to explain it if questions we asked.

My 2 cents

Ta Ta
Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 01-07-2004, 02:06 PM

Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification.
So put simply I recommend the Injen
Old 01-07-2004, 04:10 PM

i have an injen, and i always thought that the filter looked a little small. now im gonna get a K&N for sure.
Old 01-07-2004, 04:25 PM
Banned

from the way many of you talk its as if filter size affects the sound? is that true? from my understanding the piping and engine really created the sound...i'v been planning on replacing the stock injen filter with a k&n but will it be louder if the filter is larger?
Old 01-07-2004, 04:34 PM
92 SE-R 02 SE

injen is NOT I REPEAT NOT CAI...frankencar owns...dont let the injen haters influence you...a filter CLOSE OR NEAR the rad in N O T C O L D A I R

2 my haters...

Quick Reply: Intake. Injen VS Others. Your opinion needed