5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Can Anyone Help Me?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2003, 12:57 PM
twist

Can Anyone Help Me?

Hi, i got my 2000 maxima se about 3 weeks ago. It would drive fine while normal operation until i started hearing a noise the other day. When i would have it WOT on first gear, everything fine. But when i shifted to higher gears i would get a ratling clinging type of sound. As if metal were touching. And it feels as if it is lacking power. It usually happens between 3,000rpm and 5,000rpm. Anyone have any idea on what this can be. I can probably give a better explination but i would have to drive the car and come in right away to explain what i hear. The sound is like metal clinging and ratling. Any help??

Old 12-30-2003, 01:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Pinging. Common reason for 2000's to ping is bad ignition coils. Please use premium gas from now on, ESPECIALLY before you have the ignition coils replaced...

Other possible reasons if that fails-- Clogged fuel filter, Bad MAF sensor perhaps...
Old 12-30-2003, 01:42 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The "metal clinging and rattling" is probably unpredictable, as in, the cadence/rhythm to it isn't really predictable... it's just kinda happening on its own. If that's the case, then it's definitely pinging. Excessive pinging WILL DAMAGE the engine... so it's important to get it fixed if it's getting really bad (and use premium gas to relieve the symptoms a little)