5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2k Engine Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2004, 11:23 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

2k Engine Trouble

When I start the car after leaving over night RPM goes up to 2k then drops down and stalls out. I recrank and it starts fine but jumpy idle goes from 500RPM to 2000RPM, the SES, TCS/OFF & SLIP lights all come on. After the car is running for like 5 mins, I turn off the car and start again the TCS & SLIP lights are all gone but SES is still on. Also during this the cars exhaust fumes are REALLY REALLY BAD. This only happens when the car hasnt been driven for a while and is completly cooled down.

This isnt the first time this happen, when i bought the car it had this problem, but my mechanic reset the codes and car was fine and they stayed off for about 3-4 weeks until last nite.

My next off day is Wed, ill bring it back to my mechanic but i jus wanna see if anyone here familar or heard of someting like this, and my Max only has 64K on it.

Thanks
Old 01-03-2004, 12:13 PM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Originally Posted by RoNx777
When I start the car after leaving over night RPM goes up to 2k then drops down and stalls out. I recrank and it starts fine but jumpy idle goes from 500RPM to 2000RPM, the SES, TCS/OFF & SLIP lights all come on. After the car is running for like 5 mins, I turn off the car and start again the TCS & SLIP lights are all gone but SES is still on. Also during this the cars exhaust fumes are REALLY REALLY BAD. This only happens when the car hasnt been driven for a while and is completly cooled down.

This isnt the first time this happen, when i bought the car it had this problem, but my mechanic reset the codes and car was fine and they stayed off for about 3-4 weeks until last nite.

My next off day is Wed, ill bring it back to my mechanic but i jus wanna see if anyone here familar or heard of someting like this, and my Max only has 64K on it.

Thanks
i would suggest taking it to autozone and having the code pulled just so you have an idea of what kind and cost of repair you are looking at. my guess would be the ignition coil(s) which are known to fail in 2k models. i read a post in the 4th gen section about the all the lights going on and it ended up being 2 or 3 bad coils. if thats the case, go ahead and replace all of them so you dont end up doing another one before too long. check the faq for dave b contact info and he can offer a great deal on the 6 coils.
Old 01-03-2004, 12:42 PM

I did have the codes pulled when my mechanic reset them, it was 3 bad sensors, O2, Fuel and i think intake, but he said to wait see if the same error codes come back on to be sure. However he didnt mention anyting bout the coils...
Old 01-03-2004, 01:22 PM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Originally Posted by RoNx777
I did have the codes pulled when my mechanic reset them, it was 3 bad sensors, O2, Fuel and i think intake, but he said to wait see if the same error codes come back on to be sure. However he didnt mention anyting bout the coils...
well the coils are a known problem because there is at least 1 thread a day that shows up on the failure of them. i would have him pull them again and check for any misfire codes. i seriously doubt that 3 seperate sensors went out at once. its most likely the coils and they are causing other sensors to trip.
Old 01-03-2004, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by sloppymax
well the coils are a known problem because there is at least 1 thread a day that shows up on the failure of them. i would have him pull them again and check for any misfire codes. i seriously doubt that 3 seperate sensors went out at once. its most likely the coils and they are causing other sensors to trip.
Yeah, mah mechanic said itz probably the O2 sensor that trip the other two, but ill have them take a look at the coils to on Wed.

Thanks Sloppy