5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

HID's with data dots and brackets still stolen

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2004, 01:05 PM

HID's with data dots and brackets still stolen

fellow 02 and 03's .....

I was at woodbridge mall today in NJ. I saw a maxima pull in with only one HID, I tailed the guy in my 04 accord. I talked to him when he got out.
It turns out his one headlight was stolen from Menlo Park mall on Christamas Eve. The cops think that something spooked the theif so they only took one. He parked in the parking deck under the Champs restaurant (for those who know) becasue it was lit.

anyhow after rapping for him for a while, he said he had the recall done, with the data dots and the brackets installed, but they still managed to get the light out with substantial damage to the car. He didn't say if the bracket itself broke or if the mounting where the bracket attaches broke.. they broke it to get it out, but either way it didn't stop the theif(s). I thought I saw the data dot sticker in his window.

I am not sure what to make of this... Maybe when the theif got the one light out they saw the bracket and said F it to the other side, or maybe they did get spooked and didn't have time to get the other one...

Hopefully this BS will stop soon.

Anyone else have thier lights stolen with the new brackets?
Old 01-05-2004, 01:13 PM

sorry duplicate from before... please delete.
Old 01-05-2004, 01:16 PM

This is the first I've heard of HID theft after the Data Dot/bracket installation. Looks like I'll need an ultrasensitive alarm afterall.
Old 01-05-2004, 01:24 PM

I don't know what to make of it... you know?

I am hoping that the theifs will become aware of the brackets and maybe stop targeting the Maximas all together... unless with the bracket it is still the easiest one of the HID's to steal (TL's BMW's etc).

I wanted to post it here it to see if it is happening elsewhere.

If you read my other post it has more detail,but when I submitted it, I got server too busy message, and instead of typing it all together I put in the short version.
Old 01-05-2004, 01:47 PM

This is a sad day... I was so excited for 2004 thinking I could have the freedom to drive and park my car anywhere I needed to go.

What a dumba$$ I was to think this was almost over...
Old 01-05-2004, 01:51 PM

i think this is the first reported theft on maxima.org after the recall was done...i just want to know how much more damage was done if any
Old 01-05-2004, 02:00 PM

tough to say, I saw the lip of the hood bent up when he turned in front of me, and the side front quarter panel was tweaked.

I didn't get a close look at it though so I cannot compare it to my theft without the brackets.

I also think that it depends on WHO is the theif some are more efficient then others. I know when mine were jacked the hood got it bad.
Old 01-05-2004, 02:34 PM

There was a recent thread about this. One of the org members said they relocate the ballast in the recall. I guess he might be wrong.
Old 01-05-2004, 08:27 PM

anyone else see this?
Old 01-05-2004, 11:05 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

That HID most likely ended up on a motorcycle, I see a few Maximas around me missing only one headlight and there are a lot of CBR's and GSXR's and R1's roaming around with very white HIDs.
Old 01-05-2004, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by JoeyC502
There was a recent thread about this. One of the org members said they relocate the ballast in the recall. I guess he might be wrong.
When I had my Data Dots service performed the dealer told me they do indeed relocate the ballast a couple of inches lower (?) and they reinforce the light housing with sturdier brackets. I am hoping in this person's case that the thieves realized after they pulled the first one that they did not get the ballast, or the work involved due to the new re-positioning/brackets scared them off. (Or more realistically, may have just fled due to public traffic). If this is the first incident after a "DD" service, hopefully the theft rate is slowing down. Time will tell...

Regards,

ShysMax

'02 6 Spd.
Old 01-06-2004, 12:27 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

First of all, when you go to either Menlo or Woodbridge Mall, you have to be very carefull where you park your car. I have friends who are cops in both towns and they tell me that lights are stollen from those parking lots everyday. They even steal the ones with the HID recall done (typically only getting one light). They told me that the cars are more F' uped (mainly fenders) as a result of doing more damage in order to get the lights out. Kinda sucks. Thats why I try to park away from other cars so if someone does go near my car hopefully someone will see it. And I always stay away from parking decks. If you park under parking decks, you might as well leave the car unlocked with hood left up. I remember one .org membering saying that the police should set up stings to catch thieves by leaving a maxima parked and move in on them when they go for the lights. I think that would really slow down down thefts. Thieves would be scared S***less, but "who knows"..... I guess the only thing you can really do is "get a good alarm, watch where you park and pray."
Old 01-06-2004, 01:25 AM

I was hoping this was slowing down but if the brackets are not helping it may be another two or three years before we get any relief from this in the tri state.I will probably never put my hids back in till I'm getting ready to sell this car.
Old 01-06-2004, 05:13 AM
PAPA SMURF

exactly what I was saying in a previous thread and this just further proved my point...the data dot recall actually makes the theft worse....another reason my car won't be seeing the nissan dealer anytime soon

Old 01-06-2004, 06:10 AM

Another sad commentary: I called my local Nissan Dealership (Acme Nissan) for an appointment to check out my tranny, which feels like its slipping. Anyhow, my dealer service advisor told me to be certain to drop the car off while either they OR the sales guys are around so that my Maxima can be parked inside the service bay overnite, due to the HID theft problem. When I (tongue in cheek) said "but I just had the data dots/brackets installed", they said it doesnt really matter. They "dont want to be liable" for damage to my car.

My next question is: Has anyone with Data Dots, Brackets and an alarm had their HIDs stolen yet?
Old 01-06-2004, 06:38 AM

F23A4 - Was that Acme Nissan on Rt130 ?

I heard they and Rt9 Freehold Nissan got hit a while back.
Rt9 was taking the lights off the car and putting them on when you buy it..... now that's a really bad sign.

Acme told me that the ratio is 1 in 3 maximas have had their headlights stolen.
Old 01-06-2004, 06:46 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have not been to Menlo Park or Woodbridge Malls
since I've aquired my Max-Very sad!

My buddy had his rigged
out Accord stolen from there a while back-

These malls should have more security and a few patrol cars there at all times

...looks like I'll be going back to Don for shock sensors on my HID's.... to be on the safer side
Old 01-06-2004, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by Pearltt
I remember one .org membering saying that the police should set up stings to catch thieves by leaving a maxima parked and move in on them when they go for the lights. I think that would really slow down down thefts."
I honestly don't know why this hasn't happened yet. If this is really such a problem and the police know about it, it seems so simple to me for them to set something up like this and if you catch a few guys maybe the rest of them would stop or slow down b/c it wouldn't be worth getting caught. I went to Menlo a few months ago and there were at least 4 maxima's that I saw that got both lights ripped out and there were about 5 police cars and 3 security trucks all over the lot taking police reports. They end up wasting their time by getting called to the mall after they get stolen anyway, why not set up a maxima to try to catch some of these a-holes.
Old 01-06-2004, 07:08 AM

cuda, I totally agree....
Old 01-06-2004, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by my02black6spdSE
F23A4 - Was that Acme Nissan on Rt130 ?

I heard they and Rt9 Freehold Nissan got hit a while back.
Rt9 was taking the lights off the car and putting them on when you buy it..... now that's a really bad sign.

Acme told me that the ratio is 1 in 3 maximas have had their headlights stolen.

That's the one but, I hadnt heard about that HID theft ratio!!

Manny- Ironically, there's an Edison PD substation @ Menlo Park Mall!! WTH???? I used to go there almost every day for lunch (with my Max) when I worked in Edison. But, I always parked in the back of the upper level parking deck (Macy's/Champps side) with the front end of my Max in clear view to public. I guess that worked out well.
Old 01-06-2004, 07:35 AM

Its the same in Willowbrook and Garden State Malls. The cops are helpless, the owners are helpless, and apparently Nissan is helpless.

The only hope we had was that the price of aftermarket HIDs went down to a reasonable level so people could afford them without stealing them. However, now that there is a ban on aftermarket HID kits... THIS WILL NEVER HAPPEN!!!!

Why-oh-why didn't I pick the BLUE PILL?!?!?
Old 01-06-2004, 07:56 AM

parking headlights out (backing in) I think might be the way to go.

Woodbridge I believe also has a police substation in the mall too. Doesn't do any good their either.

I think it was Tom who works in the rt 130 service deptartment that told me it was a 1 in 3 ratio on the headlight thefts.

Only reason I remember his name is cause they locked my keys in the max... not sure how... but they did. so they gave me a free oil change. Luckily my girl carries my valet (I carry hers) so we were all good.
Old 01-06-2004, 08:03 AM

I think it was Tom who works in the rt 130 service deptartment that told me it was a 1 in 3 ratio on the headlight thefts.
Yeah, Tom's the service advisor that told me to make certain some it there to put my Maxima into the service bay.

Are there ANY HID theft issues with the 6G Maximas???
Old 01-06-2004, 08:12 AM

God that's scary when they tell you that...

I haven't heard of any. Supposedly those housings are poured in with concrete... LOL nah just kidding- they are supposed to be secure...which makes the 02/03 all the more tasty target...DAMN
Old 01-06-2004, 10:40 AM

This just sucks. When i pulled into the liquor store parking lot today, i noticed a max with rusted fenders. I went to go look and what do ya know, they were pryed with a crowbar. He had the data dots done, but they didnt get the lights this time. I talked to the gentlemen for awhile, they stole his twice. His son has a max, he got hit 3 times. He says that he loves the car but he doesnt take it anywhere. Uses his daughters car. First time he got hit, the dumba$$ theives caused 6 grand in damage. He told me that he is trying to get a class action suit together. He also goes threw all the papers cuts out all the articles of maxima hid theft and sends them into nissan north america.
Old 01-06-2004, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by JoeyC502
He says that he loves the car but he doesnt take it anywhere.
That's exactly my predicament; I LOVE my Maxima. It was the best sports sedan for the money but I cant continue being everytime I park it anywhere outside my garage.
Old 01-06-2004, 11:59 AM
PAPA SMURF

Originally Posted by F23A4
That's exactly my predicament; I LOVE my Maxima. It was the best sports sedan for the money but I cant continue being everytime I park it anywhere outside my garage.

my maxima too is a garage queen

Old 01-06-2004, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by PAPA SMURF
my maxima too is a garage queen

DUDE!!! My Max is SOOOOO dusty, I use Pledge instead of Meguiars!!!!
Old 01-06-2004, 01:40 PM

I got so sick of worrying, I garaged the Maxima and bought a Saturn VUE to drive around in the winter.
Old 01-06-2004, 01:56 PM

I am taking an optimistic view of this theft. The theives may have only taken one light because they decided the extra trouble from the brackets wasn't worth the effort for the second light. Maybe after a few frustrating attempts, theives will start to ignore Maximas with the DataDot sticker, and move along to the non-DataDot Maximas and TLs.
Old 01-06-2004, 02:42 PM
92 SE-R 02 SE

Originally Posted by Kojiro_FtT
I am taking an optimistic view of this theft. The theives may have only taken one light because they decided the extra trouble from the brackets wasn't worth the effort for the second light. Maybe after a few frustrating attempts, theives will start to ignore Maximas with the DataDot sticker, and move along to the non-DataDot Maximas and TLs.
Thats all we can hope for, but something tells me that the HIDs are going to be getting stolen for years to come....

Old 01-06-2004, 09:06 PM

Yeah- I agree. My Max wasn't a garage queen casue I live in an apt, and I worried about her all of the time. That's why I traded her in and got the Accord, now the only thing I worry about are door dings... but that was the same with any car.

What good is a car if you are too paranoid to take it anywhere??
Old 01-06-2004, 09:28 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

I just spoke to my buddy who lives in the BX. He bought his 2k2 Max last Monday. Parked it in front of his house. His HIDS were gone on Tuesday.....The dealer told him , it had the new anti theft HID crap.....

What alarms are you guys using. I know hood locks wont work. These lights come off like headlightcovers....
Old 01-06-2004, 10:05 PM

I think the metal brackets are doing their job in making the theft of HIDs much harder because w/o these brackets, I believe the HIDs (both) could be easily removed within a matter of 2 to 3 minutes (combined). That is why only one HID was removed, because the low lives knew it would be too time consuming in jacking the other HID.

I think the Datadot stickers on the HID units are too small. They should be much bigger and more visible to the dumb a** thieves to show that the HIDs are now protected by DD and metal brackets. Also, Nissan should be running ads and public notices to let more people know about the DD recall. This may help cut down on HID thefts.

Does Nissan bother to visit our beloved Site or listen to our suggestions? I recall this Site is occasionally visited by people who work as service reps in the Nissan dealerships. Perhaps they could pass these messages to corporate Nissan through their dealerships, and may be then Nissan would pay attention.
Old 01-06-2004, 10:15 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

i would just let it go and get myself a set of 2000 or 2001 headlights and toss HIDs in them. If you're driving in the daylight, you'll be fine as the theif won't know you have HID and think you had HIDs stolen already and replaced them with regular headlights. But if you drive at night, you should be careful because they may see you driving up the street or something with the headlights on and know you have HID.. still, it lessens your chance of being robbed

unfortunately my car was still robbed of it's headlights and i have a 2000. With 2000 headlights and HID in them.. they still got jacked
Old 01-06-2004, 10:20 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Yeah- I agree. My Max wasn't a garage queen casue I live in an apt, and I worried about her all of the time. That's why I traded her in and got the Accord, now the only thing I worry about are door dings... but that was the same with any car.

What good is a car if you are too paranoid to take it anywhere??

i agree with you

how sad
there are scum people on this earth that will take away your pleasure of having something you worked for.. i hate theives more than anything.
Old 01-07-2004, 04:16 AM

Can anyone explain why this is not happening anywhere else but in the Eastcoast?

I know there have been reports of thefts in Florida, and Texas (I think), but not to the extent that it happens to 1 out of 3 Maximas.
Old 01-07-2004, 05:14 AM
PAPA SMURF

Originally Posted by Quidproquo
Can anyone explain why this is not happening anywhere else but in the Eastcoast?

I know there have been reports of thefts in Florida, and Texas (I think), but not to the extent that it happens to 1 out of 3 Maximas.

because IMO east coast criminals are the grimeyest.......they grew up as scum, hung out with scum, and became worse scum as they grew older....its just a natural progression of....well....scum

Old 01-07-2004, 05:15 AM
PAPA SMURF

Originally Posted by F23A4
DUDE!!! My Max is SOOOOO dusty, I use Pledge instead of Meguiars!!!!
dood!! I hear pledge works better than armor all...

Old 01-07-2004, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by NYCe MaXiMa
i would just let it go and get myself a set of 2000 or 2001 headlights and toss HIDs in them. If you're driving in the daylight, you'll be fine as the theif won't know you have HID and think you had HIDs stolen already and replaced them with regular headlights. But if you drive at night, you should be careful because they may see you driving up the street or something with the headlights on and know you have HID.. still, it lessens your chance of being robbed

unfortunately my car was still robbed of it's headlights and i have a 2000. With 2000 headlights and HID in them.. they still got jacked
Is that anything like being so afraid of carjackings that you sell your car and use public transportation???

No, I paid for a car that has HIDs and I WONT surrender to the criminal element. I just have to get a GOOD alarm system and pray for the best until my lease is up.

Quick Reply: HID's with data dots and brackets still stolen