5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

HID's with data dots and brackets still stolen

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2004, 06:30 AM
PAPA SMURF

Originally Posted by F23A4
Is that anything like being so afraid of carjackings that you sell your car and use public transportation???

No, I paid for a car that has HIDs and I WONT surrender to the criminal element. I just have to get a GOOD alarm system and pray for the best until my lease is up.
F23--keep the car, move outta dirty jersey

Old 01-07-2004, 07:00 AM

seriously, these thefts are making a lot of maxima owners scared to park their car any where..... why are people so messed today?
Old 01-07-2004, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by PAPA SMURF
F23--keep the car, move outta dirty jersey
4 years 5 months to go till I have a 407 area code rather than 732.
Old 01-07-2004, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Quidproquo
Can anyone explain why this is not happening anywhere else but in the Eastcoast?

I know there have been reports of thefts in Florida, and Texas (I think), but not to the extent that it happens to 1 out of 3 Maximas.
Great question. I live in Michigan and I haven't heard of it happening to anyone here yet. I am hoping someone will steal the whole car. I honestly don't worry about the HIDs disappearing (yet).
Old 01-07-2004, 10:18 AM

I have a 2k3 max w/ with Data Dots, Brackets and an sensitive alarm1 w/ shock sensors on each headlight. I got my lights stolen once, before the recall and alarm installation. Since I got the recall and alarm installed, I have yet to have any problems(knock on wood). I never drive the max to malls anymore, ,not even in daylight. My nearest malls are menlo park, ,woodbridge and freehold. All not safe places to leave the max especially at night. My lights originally got robbed at Freehold. When will this end?
Old 01-07-2004, 09:10 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

I have yet to hear of any org member get jacked in aclif, anywhere. Believe me , there are some a-hole infested hoods over here , particularly in Los Angeles. I guess, like Smurf said, they are worst in the Brick City. Im not sure if I could sleep much, if I lived back in the Q boro...
Old 01-08-2004, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by Stereodude
Great question. I live in Michigan and I haven't heard of it happening to anyone here yet. I am hoping someone will steal the whole car. I honestly don't worry about the HIDs disappearing (yet).
Why do you want your car stolen?
Old 01-08-2004, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by charliekilo3
Why do you want your car stolen?
I dont think he wants the car to be stolen. Rather, it may just be easier (read: cheaper) for the whole car to be stolen than to have several thousand $$$ in damage AND missing HIDs; not to mention a tainted car and bad experience. (Correct if I'm wrong on that Stereo.)
Old 01-08-2004, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by F23A4
I dont think he wants the car to be stolen. Rather, it may just be easier (read: cheaper) for the whole car to be stolen than to have several thousand $$$ in damage AND missing HIDs; not to mention a tainted car and bad experience. (Correct if I'm wrong on that Stereo.)
I can't see how it would be cheaper if the whole car was stolen versus a couple of parts. If the whole car got stolen it would probably get stripped of most valuable parts including the engine. Either way, the expense will be there IMHO.
Old 01-08-2004, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by PAPA SMURF
exactly what I was saying in a previous thread and this just further proved my point...the data dot recall actually makes the theft worse....another reason my car won't be seeing the nissan dealer anytime soon
It would be silly if us not to get the recall done. It's a FREE SERVICE. If your lights get stolen & you don't have the recall done you still have to do an insurance claim. If you have the recall done & your car gets f*** up you still have to do an insurance claim but you let the thieves know that stealing the lights is not an easy job anymore. The sad part is some people will be taking one for the team(with myself included)
Old 01-08-2004, 01:06 PM
PAPA SMURF

Originally Posted by skinyc15
It would be silly if us not to get the recall done. It's a FREE SERVICE. If your lights get stolen & you don't have the recall done you still have to do an insurance claim. If you have the recall done & your car gets f*** up you still have to do an insurance claim but you let the thieves know that stealing the lights is not an easy job anymore. The sad part is some people will be taking one for the team(with myself included)

by them doing more damage its more $$$ for the claim, which means you look WORSE in the ins co eyes.....

now assuming its not targeted, lets say u have it all fixed and they do it AGAIN...more damage...sooner or later the ins will drop you..

hey if they want it, bottomline is they will take it no matter what....i'd like to make their job EASIER, resulting in less damage to my car.

either way for me, they better take em during the day because at night she is sleeping in a locked garage...

Old 01-08-2004, 01:37 PM

I don't think the difference in insurance $$ for having the brackets with damage vs having no brackets will make you look worse in the ins companies eyes.

But yes- if you have enough claims the insurance company will drop you.
More often then not, if you have more then one claim the insurance companies will drop you a tier rating- whcih could cost you some dough.
I know with my plan if I file another claim in the next 3 years my insurance will go up about 1200 for the year, to $3600....

Get the brackets.
Old 01-08-2004, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by my02black6spdSE
I don't think the difference in insurance $$ for having the brackets with damage vs having no brackets will make you look worse in the ins companies eyes.

But yes- if you have enough claims the insurance company will drop you.
More often then not, if you have more then one claim the insurance companies will drop you a tier rating- whcih could cost you some dough.
I know with my plan if I file another claim in the next 3 years my insurance will go up about 1200 for the year, to $3600....

Get the brackets.
Holy **** dude, you are getting raped! Time to shop around!

(you and your ins company)
Old 01-08-2004, 02:13 PM

NJ - it's the best state for NJ

That is the cheapest. Most insurance companies left the state casue they couldn't make their profit margins.
Old 01-08-2004, 02:14 PM

NJ - it's the best state for insurance prices

That is the cheapest for me. Most insurance companies left the state casue they couldn't make their profit margins.
Old 01-08-2004, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by charliekilo3
I can't see how it would be cheaper if the whole car was stolen versus a couple of parts. If the whole car got stolen it would probably get stripped of most valuable parts including the engine. Either way, the expense will be there IMHO.
Papa Smurf kinda began in the direction I was headed, "
by them doing more damage its more $$$ for the claim, which means you look WORSE in the ins co eyes.....

now assuming its not targeted, lets say u have it all fixed and they do it AGAIN...more damage...sooner or later the ins will drop you.."

However, if the whole car gets snatched 1st time out, c'est la vie!! G35 or 2k4 TL time.

Unfortunately, I live in NJ and have to play the insurance game that only maybe Californians can relate to. Reporting a claim will certainly jackup ins rates measurably; not reporting it means no change in insurance cost but you pay out of pocket for the repairs. lose-lose scenario!!
Old 01-08-2004, 08:21 PM

Ok.... Who did these belong to????

Nissan Maxima HID Headlights!!!!

Better still.... Who the hell is bidding on them???
Old 01-08-2004, 10:46 PM

I think this is ridiculous that we are afraid to drive our cars anywhere (btw that is the reason we bought them-TO DRIVE THEM). I had my HID's stolen twice in the Bronx, Riverdale to be exact. I don't think i'm going to stick out this "wave". I'm selling my 02 SE and cutting my losses I can't afford higher insurance costs. Since I've had my headlights stolen I've been taking Metro-North Railroad to visit my girlfriend in Riverdale when I have a perfectly fine car. I also have been garaging the max everywhere and as most of you from the NE might know garages in and around NYC are NOT cheap. It's pathetic that it had to come to this but it has. I already spent $1000 in deductables. DD or not they'll get them if they want them they'll just F*** Up your car even more in the process. I'm going to sell my max and save up a little cash. I was thinking of going with a 5th gen prelude, any suggestions for a replacement vehicle under 12k?
Old 01-09-2004, 11:20 AM

Most of the theives out their are either uneducated or iliterate. If they know better, they won't jack the lights in the first place.