5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

I took my car to Nissan and I can't believe what I found out.

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2004, 10:04 AM
Banned

I took my car to Nissan and I can't believe what I found out.

Well I've noticed roaring type noise coming from my rear tire area. I thought it was my tires at first and took it to discount tire to get them rotated but to no avail.

Yesterday I dropped it off and North Texas Nissan and they told me my wheel bearing are already shot. So they will order the parts and will fix both wheels under warranty.

They will also do some of the TSB work I want done when I get it back in there.

So has anyone else had wheel bearing problems in their Max before?
Old 01-06-2004, 10:06 AM
92 SE-R 02 SE

how many miles on the car? thats unusual for bearing to be shot on a brand new car...

Old 01-06-2004, 10:14 AM
Banned

I have 26k on it.
Old 01-06-2004, 10:14 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by 92 SE-R 02 SE
how many miles on the car? thats unusual for bearing to be shot on a brand new car...
My rotors were warped with less than 1000 miles on the odometer.
Old 01-06-2004, 10:34 AM

i've been having similar symptoms with my front wheels. at first i thought i had warping rotors again because it becomes apparent when slowing down thru 20-10 mph and it's an oscillating drone, like it's on one side of the wheel. but then that's only at its worst. it'll still drone when off the brakes too, and i don't get any vibration thru my brake pedal.
does that sound like bearings to you guys????

if it's wheel bearings, how much would something like that cost to fix?
Old 01-06-2004, 10:47 AM

My driver side front bearing went at 42k. The dealer replaced under warranty (5 yr, 60k mile drivetrain). At first I thought it was my then new Powerslot rotors and HAWK pads.

All better now.
Old 01-06-2004, 10:52 AM

Huh... now y'all are starting to scare me...
Old 01-06-2004, 10:54 AM
PAPA SMURF

Originally Posted by Lumbee1
My rotors were warped with less than 1000 miles on the odometer.
my rotors were warped driving off the lot with 11 miles on it..

Old 01-06-2004, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by PAPA SMURF
Same here... going in for the 2nd time for warped rotors... what a PITA!
Old 01-06-2004, 11:21 AM

Mine were replaced also under warranty at 32,000mi. Almost two yrs to the day I picked up my Max.
Old 01-06-2004, 11:32 AM

My front passenger side wheel hub and bearings went to shi t about a month ago. Covered thank god. I was hearing a grinding noise Nothing helped. Next my wheel was slipping. I took it in and they said my wheel was about to fall off. I was about to drive back home to NY from NC the next day. That would have been nasty
Old 01-06-2004, 11:33 AM

oh yeah it was at about 33k
Old 01-06-2004, 11:47 AM

Same exact thing here Lefty! The wheel thing scared the **** out of me. I was busting hard turns..
Old 01-06-2004, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by PAPA SMURF

Mine too.

My father-in-law is a GM at a nissan dealer where I got my SE from. He said it was from rusting and is common. He said that "bastard" cars (as he calls them) sit on the lot for 3-4 months, sometimes longer without even moving because mainstream folks don't want 'em. Like my 6 spd LSD SE loaded. He didn't think anyone would ever buy this car and he tried to talk me out of it because it wasn't auto and would be tough to resell. When the rotors rusts that much, it causes a low spot under the pad (where it's not as-exposed and doesn't rust as much). couple that with the uneven heating and you end up lumpy with the shakes real quick.

On the wheel bearing, my '03 SE is still fine, but I've heard of other cars with sporadic wheel bearing failure, some early, so I don't think this is just a maxima thing. My beater/track car ('95 talon TSi) lost a front wheel bearing really early, like 40k I forget it was so long ago. The other held up fine and now have 135k on them, some of those miles the car was rowed hard and put back wet
Old 01-06-2004, 12:21 PM

>>car was rowed hard and put back wet <<
What option box did you check to get the amphibious features? I must have missed that option totally.
Old 01-06-2004, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by itdood
Mine too.

My father-in-law is a GM at a nissan dealer where I got my SE from. He said it was from rusting and is common. He said that "bastard" cars (as he calls them) sit on the lot for 3-4 months, sometimes longer without even moving because mainstream folks don't want 'em. Like my 6 spd LSD SE loaded. He didn't think anyone would ever buy this car and he tried to talk me out of it because it wasn't auto and would be tough to resell. When the rotors rusts that much, it causes a low spot under the pad (where it's not as-exposed and doesn't rust as much). couple that with the uneven heating and you end up lumpy with the shakes real quick.

On the wheel bearing, my '03 SE is still fine, but I've heard of other cars with sporadic wheel bearing failure, some early, so I don't think this is just a maxima thing. My beater/track car ('95 talon TSi) lost a front wheel bearing really early, like 40k I forget it was so long ago. The other held up fine and now have 135k on them, some of those miles the car was rowed hard and put back wet

My 6sp sat on the lot for 7 months! Runs fine. The blower motor needed to replaced a week after I bought it because it was making a ticking sound. I don't know if that was a symptom of the car sitting for so long.

Also, does warping mean the rotors are bent from end to end like a vinyl record left in the sun? Just asking because my front rotors feel like they have ridges in them compared to the rear rotors which feel smooth when you run your finger across them. They're not bent like a record, though.
Old 01-06-2004, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Lefty_gunz187
My front passenger side wheel hub and bearings went to shi t about a month ago. Covered thank god. I was hearing a grinding noise Nothing helped. Next my wheel was slipping. I took it in and they said my wheel was about to fall off. I was about to drive back home to NY from NC the next day. That would have been nasty
curious to know what you mean when you say slipping, what are the symptoms of a failing wheel bearing and hub?
Old 01-06-2004, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by bixmaxxx
My 6sp sat on the lot for 7 months! Runs fine. The blower motor needed to replaced a week after I bought it because it was making a ticking sound. I don't know if that was a symptom of the car sitting for so long.

Also, does warping mean the rotors are bent from end to end like a vinyl record left in the sun? Just asking because my front rotors feel like they have ridges in them compared to the rear rotors which feel smooth when you run your finger across them. They're not bent like a record, though.
Those grooves are from rust and are normal wear, but are not warped. Warped is as you described, like a vinyl, and the wheel will wobble when you break on a warped rotor, causing some vibration in the car. You should probably replace the grooved rotors (or resurface them) if they are making grinding noises, but otherwise you have time before you need to replace them.
Old 01-06-2004, 03:22 PM

my left front wheel bearing went at 40k, 4k after warranty went out
i had to pay close to $500 to get it fixed
Old 01-06-2004, 03:51 PM

wait... isn't the bearing covered under the Power train warranty? (5 yr/60,000 miles)

Or does someone at my dealer like me?
Old 01-06-2004, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Kojiro_FtT
Those grooves are from rust and are normal wear, but are not warped. Warped is as you described, like a vinyl, and the wheel will wobble when you break on a warped rotor, causing some vibration in the car. You should probably replace the grooved rotors (or resurface them) if they are making grinding noises, but otherwise you have time before you need to replace them.
I only get a small vibration when I have to slow down quickly from above 80 mph or higher(not very often). In any case a car with only 14000 miles and is not driven too hard should not need the rotors replaced.
Old 01-06-2004, 05:25 PM
Mass_Media™

I thought I had a bad alignment but the day I was taking it in, it stopped pulling to the right I took to david early tire and they said they did the alignment but it didn't look bad.....I drove it out of the parking lot and....it started pulling to the right what is wrong?
Old 01-06-2004, 06:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BioMaxDDS
my left front wheel bearing went at 40k, 4k after warranty went out
i had to pay close to $500 to get it fixed
Man that sucks. Sorry about your bad luck.

I thought the power train warranty only covered engine/transmission?
Old 01-06-2004, 06:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Quidproquo
wait... isn't the bearing covered under the Power train warranty? (5 yr/60,000 miles)

Or does someone at my dealer like me?
I think he may REALLY like you.
Old 01-06-2004, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by bixmaxxx
I had the same ticking from my '02 Max blower motor when I bought it.
They replaced the blower motor, but less than a year later, the clicking
noise is happening again. Do you think it'll be covered under warranty still?
Old 01-06-2004, 07:09 PM

so how the heck to i know if i've got bum bearings? i'm not enamored with the prospect of paying some schmoe at the dealership 80 bucks just to tell my i've got a problem.
Old 01-06-2004, 09:31 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Had mine replaced at 30 k miles....front left.
Old 01-06-2004, 09:41 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

no bearing or rotor problems here...(knock on wood)
Old 01-07-2004, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by spirilis
Huh... now y'all are starting to scare me...
SAME HERE. PLEASE EXPLAIN WHAT IT COMES FROM AND HOW TO FIX.
Old 01-07-2004, 05:42 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by itdood
Mine too.

My father-in-law is a GM at a nissan dealer where I got my SE from. He said it was from rusting and is common. When the rotors rusts that much, it causes a low spot under the pad (where it's not as-exposed and doesn't rust as much). couple that with the uneven heating and you end up lumpy with the shakes real quick.
I bought mine used and had the exact same problem. I had significant shakes during high-speed breaking. 60-80 mph. I was planning to take it in for the brake TSB but after a couple of thousand highway miles the shakes are gone and the brakes feel fine. The surface rust obviously wore off
Old 01-08-2004, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by DallasFan
Well I've noticed roaring type noise coming from my rear tire area. I thought it was my tires at first and took it to discount tire to get them rotated but to no avail.

Yesterday I dropped it off and North Texas Nissan and they told me my wheel bearing are already shot. So they will order the parts and will fix both wheels under warranty.

They will also do some of the TSB work I want done when I get it back in there.

So has anyone else had wheel bearing problems in their Max before?

I had about 15K on my 2003 SE and i noticed a horrible rattleing from the front left wheel, I took in the car and they said the wheel bearing had broke. It took them 4 days to get the parts in and fix, and they refused to give me loaner coverage evern though I had gotten the extended warrenty. But they fixed the problem for free.
Old 01-08-2004, 05:14 PM

I Just dropped my 2K2 Se with 26,000 miles on it off at the dealer for something that sound similar to this. Mine seems to happen when the car is cold, I get a grinding and clicking sound from the front drivers side wheel. I also get a banging sound from the transmission area while the car is cold. It all seems to go away after the car warms up. They are going to look at it in the morning, it will be about zero degrees out tonight here in Mass so my car will have plenty of time to get cold for them to look at it. I hope its nothing really f-up'd.

Originally Posted by Lefty_gunz187
Old 01-08-2004, 05:32 PM

I replace rear right wheel bearing by myself but hub cost like $130 @ dealer.
Has ~ 45k miles.
Old 01-08-2004, 07:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by AudioXtrme
I had about 15K on my 2003 SE and i noticed a horrible rattleing from the front left wheel, I took in the car and they said the wheel bearing had broke. It took them 4 days to get the parts in and fix, and they refused to give me loaner coverage evern though I had gotten the extended warrenty. But they fixed the problem for free.
Amazing that many of our cars have the same problem. My service advisor told me it is a common occurance with these cars when I asked him what causes this type of problem.

It took 2 days for the parts to come in and they fixed it the next morning in about 3 hours. They wouldn't do the TSB's I wanted them to do which ticks me off. He said they can't do the work until it breaks or I'd have to pay for the work myself.

Oh well, I still love my car and it rides so much better now that it's fixed.
Old 01-08-2004, 07:45 PM

I had the passenger front bearing and hub replaced at around 25K. It's pretty obvious when it starts to go. It's a loud whirring noise that gets louder the faster you go.