5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Installed Driving Lights - replaced fogs

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2004, 07:10 PM

Installed Driving Lights - replaced fogs

And I had 10 pics to post, but they got deleted 2 minutes ago.... sorry, will get more tomorrow. Anyways, they're just driving lights that cost $39 from Walmart, but they are way brighter than the stock fogs and ALMOST perfectly match my HID's. They actually make a difference in my ability to see while driving (tried it out just goin down my road) I can drive with just the new driving lights on, no regular headlights, and see quite well. They're just a wee bit brighter than the HID's to oncoming traffic too, so they shouldnt blind anyone. Gonna look great when they're on by themselves thanks to the ol fog re-wire! I'll get a bunch of pics up tomorrow
Old 01-06-2004, 07:13 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by bigdo26
And I had 10 pics to post, but they got deleted 2 minutes ago.... sorry, will get more tomorrow. Anyways, they're just driving lights that cost $39 from Walmart, but they are way brighter than the stock fogs and ALMOST perfectly match my HID's. They actually make a difference in my ability to see while driving (tried it out just goin down my road) I can drive with just the new driving lights on, no regular headlights, and see quite well. They're just a wee bit brighter than the HID's to oncoming traffic too, so they shouldnt blind anyone. Gonna look great when they're on by themselves thanks to the ol fog re-wire! I'll get a bunch of pics up tomorrow
what was the wattage and brand? bright as your HID's, really, fogs?
Old 01-06-2004, 07:17 PM

Wattage is 55, I put in my Xenon bulbs, which I've talked about in several other threads. They arent as bright as the HID's, not quite, but close, and the color is also very close. I'm gonna do my best to get some pictures that actually represent the true colors of the lights, but you all know its hard to capture that HID light on a digital camera
Old 01-06-2004, 07:27 PM

You're talking about the "CyberWhite" driving lights I'm guessing? They're great, I had 'em before I replaced them w/PIAA 910s. I had some Xtreme Whites in there and they were a basically a perfect match. Too bad about the gap though...sucks we have odd sized openings.
Old 01-06-2004, 07:45 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You should have gone with the Hella Optilux AngelEyes which are also driving lights....I had them installed last year. The driving lights are very bright and the angel eyes look great..... my driving lights are re-wired also.
Old 01-06-2004, 08:36 PM

I had the option of the angel eye driving lights, but I liked just the regular ones better. No rewiring necessary, I just hooked them up to the stock fog wiring. easier, quicker, and it works great
Old 01-06-2004, 09:47 PM

I had the option of the angel eye driving lights, but I liked just the regular ones better. No rewiring necessary, I just hooked them up to the stock fog wiring. easier, quicker, and it works great

Stupid question, but my wife's 02 Maxima SE has two cracked fog lights and the dealer is telling her they actually have to remove the entire front bumper to get tot he fog lights...so it will be a 3 hr job plus the light bulbs, plus the housing/actual light.

It's about 10 F outside so I am not going to go out and look tonight, but is this true or can the fog lights simply be replaced by jacking up the car and getting under there...please tell me yes, thanks guys.
Old 01-06-2004, 09:51 PM
2-Wheelin it...

Originally Posted by bosssho
Stupid question, but my wife's 02 Maxima SE has two cracked fog lights and the dealer is telling her they actually have to remove the entire front bumper to get tot he fog lights...so it will be a 3 hr job plus the light bulbs, plus the housing/actual light.

It's about 10 F outside so I am not going to go out and look tonight, but is this true or can the fog lights simply be replaced by jacking up the car and getting under there...please tell me yes, thanks guys.
full of ish...personally telling you i changed my fogs in 10 minutes...
Old 01-06-2004, 09:54 PM

yeah they pop right out, just unscrew 1 bolt under them
Old 01-06-2004, 09:54 PM

whats the name and can u post pics w/them off also? thanx
Old 01-06-2004, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by PearlWhtMaX2000
yeah they pop right out, just unscrew 1 bolt under them
PearlWhtMaX2000 ,

Thanks for the quick reply...I see you have a 2000...are you 100% sure it's the same for the 2002-03?
Old 01-06-2004, 10:02 PM
2-Wheelin it...

PearlWhtMaX2000 ,

Thanks for the quick reply...I see you have a 2000...are you 100% sure it's the same for the 2002-03?
wait a tic...lemme check my vin......yep, i'm a 2k2..

told you already man
Old 01-06-2004, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by PoLo
wait a tic...lemme check my vin......yep, i'm a 2k2..

told you already man
lol...you got me...late night...cut me some slack huh

I looked quick and saw a 2000, but that's when you joined...nice, so you have an 02 as well...well 10 minutes is a far cry from 3 hrs huh...they are such imbeciles at the dealer some times...thank you VERY much for the info...I will just do it myself then.

take care.
Old 01-06-2004, 10:09 PM
2-Wheelin it...

lol...you got me...late night...cut me some slack huh

I looked quick and saw a 2000, but that's when you joined...nice, so you have an 02 as well...well 10 minutes is a far cry from 3 hrs huh...they are such imbeciles at the dealer some times...thank you VERY much for the info...I will just do it myself then.

take care.
on top of that, i personally am not a fan of lying down. if you remove your headlights (pretty simple to remove) you can easily reach down into the back of the fog housing and unscrew them as well. that's how i do it now. my reason though is cause i dont' fit under my car (dropped)
Old 01-06-2004, 10:09 PM

PearlWhtMaX2000 ,

yeah should be. its a really easy job to replace them
Old 01-07-2004, 08:18 AM

on top of that, i personally am not a fan of lying down. if you remove your headlights (pretty simple to remove) you can easily reach down into the back of the fog housing and unscrew them as well. that's how i do it now. my reason though is cause i dont' fit under my car (dropped)

so you can get to your fogs by just taking off the headlight? think itll work on a 2k? I need to change my bulbs but really dont want to work from under the car...
thanks
Old 01-07-2004, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by gsumax
so you can get to your fogs by just taking off the headlight? think itll work on a 2k? I need to change my bulbs but really dont want to work from under the car...
thanks
yeah i have a 2k, butit will make it 10 times faster if u work from under the car, u dont need jaks or anything its more on the side.
Old 01-07-2004, 08:44 AM

Fog light replacement idea and how to get more light out of the stock fogs.

I've found replacement 5" round headlamps at several local parts shops. They are made by APC, but I though I'd give them a try since both of my fogs are cracked (one pretty bad). They accept H4 bulbs and have connections that should wire easily into the stock connectors. I only bought one for now ($19.99) and have been waiting for a little nicer weather (above 0-25 deg. F + wind chill) than we've been getting to mess around with the mounting and possibly a different bulb. They just fit into the stock fog light openings and look pretty good. When I get it mounted I'll post some pics. Just another Idea, maybe someone else has already done this and has some input.

Also for those of you that want a FREE and fairly easy way to get more light out of your fogs. All stock fog lamps come with a thin metal shield that sits in front of the bulb so that when oncoming drivers look into your lights they won't be blinded (quite as bad). The Maxima has a fairly large (about 1-2") shield in their fogs. It takes a little working, but with 2 pairs of needle nose pliers, you can bend and get the shield out of the 3/4" bulb hole. I replaced my bulbs with a super white 100W H3 bulb and I noticed quite a difference in light output (there is actually a noticeable difference when the fogs are on/off). Also when looking directly at the car, they are slightly brighter if not the same as looking into the headlights.
Another reason to remove the metal shield is that when you use higher watt (say 85w or 100/110w) bulbs they create more heat and will have a tendency to heat up the shield and possibly melt the plastic fog light casing (I've done it before on a different vehicle). It will also cause those expensive aftermarket bulbs to burn out faster.
I’ll put up some pics of the stock fogs without the shield in place this evening.

Just my $.02,
-Jesse
Old 01-07-2004, 08:59 AM
2-Wheelin it...

Originally Posted by PearlWhtMaX2000
yeah i have a 2k, butit will make it 10 times faster if u work from under the car, u dont need jaks or anything its more on the side.
how is it easier from the bottom. technically it's the same thing. 2 bolts hold in the headlight. few screws from the bottom remove the bottom panel. both get you to the back of the fog housing. only one is laying down, other is standing up. i'd rather stand up.
Old 01-07-2004, 09:01 AM

yeah ihave some fogsw/out the shield by Matrix
Old 01-07-2004, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by jessefrank
I've found replacement 5" round headlamps at several local parts shops...They just fit into the stock fog light openings and look pretty good.
They're exactly 5" round? How will they fit -- stock fogs are ~0.5" less than that in height?
Old 01-07-2004, 11:14 AM

how is it easier from the bottom. technically it's the same thing. 2 bolts hold in the headlight. few screws from the bottom remove the bottom panel. both get you to the back of the fog housing. only one is laying down, other is standing up. i'd rather stand up.

yeah i cant just roll under my car, unless i jack it up, and Im not too to thrilled about being under the car with a semi-reliable jack holding it up..
Old 01-07-2004, 06:16 PM

BossSHO, The fogs can be changed in 30 minutes or less, taking your time, without even jacking the car up. Just turn the wheels to one side (left for the right side, and right for the left side.)

On an 02, it's one screw, one bolt and one clip to move the plastic gravel shield out of the way, and two bolts holding the fog light in, and one snap connector for the wires.

At the dealership, it would be even easier since it will be on a lift, and they probably have a special tool for removing the clip.

They're lying to you.

Bet them a 350Z track edition that if they put it on a lift, you can do it in less than an hour.
Old 01-08-2004, 08:23 AM

Nissan5788,
The stock fog-openings taper out. I'm not sure on the exact size, but I believe they are slightly over 5". I only put the one into the fog opening to try a dry fit and I know it fit fairly well. I know the stock fog opening in the back is only approx 4.5 inches, but these headlamps are domed (shaped like their parabolic reflector). I'm hoping to do some work on these this weekend when I have some time. Again I'm not certain this is an easy mod, I just want a fog lamp that will fill up most of the space and not cost the $$$$$ that the stock ones cost to be replaced. If I can get them to work, I will definitely post some pics and a write up.