5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Suggestions over Koni sports Struts VS Tokico Blues

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2004, 07:10 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Suggestions over Koni sports Struts VS Tokico Blues

Okay, since i'm dropping my car. I would like to know what you guys suggest.. now these are the two types of struts that i'm considering. Koni adjustable OR Tokico Blues. I want a nice drop with good handling at teh same time i want well atleast try to get a comfortable ride. Let me know what you guys think.
Old 01-13-2004, 08:08 AM

Koni and eibach is a bit stiff to me. but I can live with it. The handling is good and I have the koni set on softest setting.

Tokico blue - from what I've read here, there are many people blew the tokico blues. I have heard more negative comments than positive.
Old 01-13-2004, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by [maxi-overdose]
Koni and eibach is a bit stiff to me. but I can live with it. The handling is good and I have the koni set on softest setting.

Tokico blue - from what I've read here, there are many people blew the tokico blues. I have heard more negative comments than positive.

I tried to respond earlier and got a server error. If you go to carreview.com and check out the suspension info, there are ~26 reviews for Blues, KYB's and Koni's The Koni's are rated highest out of those three and have no real negative comments besides price.

The Toks are about 60% bad 40% good and the KYBs are about 50/50. Read them and your decision should be easier to make.

Koni actually states that it is OK to use lowering springs on their products, just as long as the struts don't bottom. This is something that KYB and Tokico won't say.
Old 01-13-2004, 09:23 AM

Thansk a lot.. yes i just read up on Konis and due to the price, not that many people purchase it. Although after finding out about cutting the front struts in order to fit Koni struts in the front is a bit weird. Currently I have KYB GR-2s in the front. Would it be possible to fit Koni's in the GR-2 casing? I'm a bit confused on that. Also, anything I should consider before i replace the rear struts with Konis?
Old 01-14-2004, 01:04 AM

Sam, i just installed my tein/KYB gr-2 and im very happy bro!!! send me a pm for more info!!!
Old 01-14-2004, 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by Sammzway
Okay, since i'm dropping my car. I would like to know what you guys suggest.. now these are the two types of struts that i'm considering. Koni adjustable OR Tokico Blues. I want a nice drop with good handling at teh same time i want well atleast try to get a comfortable ride. Let me know what you guys think.
Hey you should definately consider Tokico Illumina 5 way adjustables. They just came out for us 5th gen people and the 4th gens swear by them. Im running illuminas and eibachs and i couldnt be happier. They are not inserts like the konis. They are complete struts with the adjuster screw at the top.
Old 01-14-2004, 07:04 AM

Got mine back yesterday with my Koni /Eibach combo and OH YEAH!!! the car feels 500 pounds lighter, is nimble, looks better , reduced dive under heavy braking, and makes me think I have a new car. I got jacked on the install, because of having to do inserts, but DANG I think it was worth it. I have very happy with how my car handles now.
Old 01-14-2004, 08:00 AM

To consider....

Originally Posted by Sammzway
Thansk a lot.. yes i just read up on Konis and due to the price, not that many people purchase it. Although after finding out about cutting the front struts in order to fit Koni struts in the front is a bit weird. Currently I have KYB GR-2s in the front. Would it be possible to fit Koni's in the GR-2 casing? I'm a bit confused on that. Also, anything I should consider before i replace the rear struts with Konis?
I looked into these myself. Although people RAVE about the performance,the non-OEM fit, and the ridiculous $$$......

The Koni REARs are NOT adjustable while mounted on the car, you have to remove/detach them to adjust.....that sucks to me.
Not practical at all.

I just bought a set of the Illuminas, and plan on mating them with either TEINs or Progress Springs.

Not installed yet -- will post pics and review when I get it done in a few weeks.
I am stoked!
gr