5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Replacing beam axle with independent suspension??

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2004, 11:31 AM

Replacing beam axle with independent suspension??

Has anybody tried a suspension swap on the Max from the current setup to something more like the Alt/G35 with its indy susp.? Gotta cost a fortune but would surely be worth it if its possible. Would the chassis prevent it from fitting properly? Im sure there are a whole slew of exhaust issues to battle too. Any takers?
Old 01-14-2004, 11:35 AM

g35 is Rear wheel drive...that swap would be more trouble then its worth

the Max's i-beam suspension can be made to work quite well. i dont see the need to make a whole slew of changes to it
Old 01-14-2004, 11:37 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Man, i'd think it's impossible. That rear beam is sorta part of the car itself. You can't pull that out and put in an independent suspension. Would take one heck of a welder. Also, talk about making the car nose heavy. I think it'll be easier to make the 5th gen RWD, than to do this.
Old 01-14-2004, 11:46 AM

Yeah I don't really know too much about how all that works. Made a mistake putting the G35 comment in there...wasn't thinkin about the tranny. Its just that I drive my bestfriends girlfriends car every once in a while, its a 2003 Accord Coupe V6, and that thing handles so much better than my car. My 95 Accord has great handling too. There is just no replacement for the independent suspension in my opinion. I guess I need to save up some pennies and upgrade my springs/struts/tires and grad an RSB so I don't feel so bad after hopping out of her car and into mine....
Old 01-14-2004, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Benj-AMG
Yeah I don't really know too much about how all that works. Made a mistake putting the G35 comment in there...wasn't thinkin about the tranny. Its just that I drive my bestfriends girlfriends car every once in a while, its a 2003 Accord Coupe V6, and that thing handles so much better than my car. My 95 Accord has great handling too. There is just no replacement for the independent suspension in my opinion. I guess I need to save up some pennies and upgrade my springs/struts/tires and grad an RSB so I don't feel so bad after hopping out of her car and into mine....
Grab the RSB first.
Old 01-14-2004, 12:29 PM
Very sound, Mike

Comfort-wise, i give the IRS thumbs up. But on good roads, and the vehicle pushed to the limits i'm quite happy with a beam.
Old 01-14-2004, 12:33 PM

How tough is it to install the RSB? Don't wanna get in over my head. What am I gonna need?
Old 01-14-2004, 12:51 PM
Very sound, Mike

An RSB is a 30 minute job for most people. If you fit under your car without jacking it up, the only thing you'll need are a couple of sockets and a torque wrench.

It's almost as easy as putting an FSTB on.
Old 01-14-2004, 01:58 PM

No kidding. I thought it would be alot more intensive than that. Everyone agree that the Stillen is the best for the RSB? Also, does the addition of this piece void my warranty?
Old 01-14-2004, 02:39 PM

No kidding. I thought it would be alot more intensive than that. Everyone agree that the Stillen is the best for the RSB? Also, does the addition of this piece void my warranty?

The best way to upgrade your suspension is to BUY a G35!

The difference in cost alone would save you the time, hassle, and headache.

Now - seriously:

Agreed the Stealin' is worth the money, and NO it does not VOID your warranty unless the dealer can prove that the aftermarket part caused the damage to your vehicle.

I doubt there has ever been a reported case of an RSB causing this type of damage to a vehicle -- with the EXCEPTION of rubbing brake lines from improper mounting.

gr
Old 01-14-2004, 02:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

the '05 Mustang gt 's will have a live axle- due to cost cutting-great for track....

i find the multilink rear beam we have to handle well- specially with a little weight on it- RSB is all you need....
Old 01-14-2004, 03:03 PM
Very sound, Mike

It's actually quite simple. It was my first time when i put my Addco in. Armed with the instructions, i did it without a sweat (literally).

Stillen vs. Addco vs. Progress - i'm sure one is better than the other. But is the price difference worth it? Not in my opinion.

As for voiding your warranty - my educated answer is no it will not.

If anything, my RSB actually helped during my accident by preventing my rear beam from crushing anything else. (Impact was so hard it bent my rear beam a little - but according to the shop, the RSB kept it from intruding elsewhere).
Old 01-14-2004, 03:07 PM

Thanks fellas. I am probably gonna get one in a month or so since its been so highly recommended. Already have the FSTB so should be a good combo.
Old 01-14-2004, 03:27 PM
Very sound, Mike

You'll like the RSB much more than the FSTB. I had the FSTB first, and i thought that was already a good improvement.

By the way, check out the Group Deals section - i think SWA is still having their special on the Progress.
Old 01-14-2004, 03:44 PM

I'll check it out. Thanks again!
Old 01-14-2004, 04:19 PM

All group deals on the rear sway bar are over!! I think you can buy the bar directly from SW though. Give them a call as there is a dicount for .org members.
Old 01-14-2004, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by MannyNJ2k2max
the '05 Mustang gt 's will have a live axle- due to cost cutting-great for track....

i find the multilink rear beam we have to handle well- specially with a little weight on it- RSB is all you need....
i thought previous generations of the mustang were live axle too... (except for the cobras)
Old 01-14-2004, 04:44 PM

stupid question...

So...let me ask you this... i have the *rear STRUT tower bar* installed already on my '03. (in the trunk) IS the *rear SWAY bar* something else that i should consider or it won't make any difference if i have the strut tower bar already??? Which one makes more difference. Don't tell me that they both are the same thing because i would feel really stupid.
Old 01-14-2004, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by dansmax2003
So...let me ask you this... i have the *rear STRUT tower bar* installed already on my '03. (in the trunk) IS the *rear SWAY bar* something else that i should consider or it won't make any difference if i have the strut tower bar already??? Which one makes more difference. Don't tell me that they both are the same thing because i would feel really stupid.
They are different.
As I understand it, the Rear Strut Tower Bar (what you have) does almost nothing, because the rear chassis is fairly rigid as it is.
The Rear Sway Bar (aka Rear Anti-Sway Bar) is a bar installed on the underside of the vehicle, and it provides extra stability to the rear suspension. It's supposed to make a significant difference... one 4th gen owner I talked to said it made the rear end feel "lighter". I'm not sure if this contributes to just "comfort", or if it really contributes to better "handling" of the vehicle... i.e. makes the vehicle more stable when you're pushing the suspension to its limits.
Old 01-14-2004, 05:00 PM

Hmmm...and all this time i thought that my Maxima SE comes with something like this (RSB) already factory installed on the rear. Now you can tell that i haven't spent much time under my car. .... I'll have to get one then, especially if it makes a big difference. Where would be the most affordable source for RSB?

Thanks!
Old 01-14-2004, 05:25 PM

Check around, there are different brands of RSB, different prices, etc...
I've heard the Stillen RSB is supposedly the "best", at least in terms of fitment, less issues (doesn't rub the brake hose), etc. I also read that someone made a Stillen knockoff, same design, but significantly cheaper. Like I said, check around... topics regarding the RSB come up frequently.
Old 01-14-2004, 05:35 PM
Very sound, Mike

Originally Posted by dansmax2003
Hmmm...and all this time i thought that my Maxima SE comes with something like this (RSB) already factory installed on the rear. Now you can tell that i haven't spent much time under my car. .... I'll have to get one then, especially if it makes a big difference. Where would be the most affordable source for RSB?

Thanks!
You do have an RSB, the aftermarket RSB is thicker and adds on to the OEM.
Old 01-14-2004, 05:38 PM
Very sound, Mike

Originally Posted by spirilis
They are different.
As I understand it, the Rear Strut Tower Bar (what you have) does almost nothing, because the rear chassis is fairly rigid as it is.
You are correct, the rear strut tower bar has been installed by a lot of people and the consensus is unless you Auto-X you'll hardly feel the difference - even then it's questionable.

The chassis is fairly rigid already and the bar does nothing more than obstruct the passage between the trunk and your cabin.

The RSB on the other hand does wonders.
Old 01-14-2004, 05:40 PM
Very sound, Mike

Originally Posted by spirilis
Check around, there are different brands of RSB, different prices, etc...
I've heard the Stillen RSB is supposedly the "best", at least in terms of fitment, less issues (doesn't rub the brake hose), etc. I also read that someone made a Stillen knockoff, same design, but significantly cheaper. Like I said, check around... topics regarding the RSB come up frequently.
Just to add, i've had the Addco for a couple of years now and i never had fitmet, adjustment or rubbing issues with it.
Old 01-14-2004, 06:14 PM

I actually feel less body-roll after installing the sway bar.
Old 01-14-2004, 06:19 PM

Subject to correction, of course, the difference between the RSB and the RSTB is this.

A RSTB puts another rigid link between the top of your suspension mount points. The idea is to prevent flexing of the chassis, and which makes your suspension more 'precise'

A RSB becomes an active part of your suspension. When an unequal force (leaning in a curve, for example) is applied to your suspension, the RSB resists that force, reducing body lean.
Old 01-14-2004, 08:35 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by raidwolf
i thought previous generations of the mustang were live axle too... (except for the cobras)
yes, and cobrs get worse skidpad numbers than a live axle GT... constant camber > IRS