5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Do you think the 2002 Altima could kill the Maxima?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2001, 12:28 PM

The new Altima is being called by Nissan "total knockout"...I am wondering if this knock out blow will be dealt to the Maxima as well. The new Altima looks (at least from initial sketches) sleeker, more powerful (in V6 form), and it is said to have an incredible interior. The Maxima, will probably grow in size and displacement probably going into the full size car category. I dunno about you guys, but the Altima is starting to sound more attractive than the Maxima. Do you guys think that Nissan might lose its devout followers by moving the Maxima into another category??...Personally, I don't want a bigger car regardless of displacement. If new Altima is as good in reality as it is on paper. Sign me up...and if they offer it in SE-R version...I am sending a deposit now!.

Speed
Old 03-05-2001, 01:21 PM

Speculation

Fact is, no one will know until they’re on the lot, or close to it.

Not to be an a**hole or anything, but how many people (besides me) would prefer if we started up a separate "nissan rumors & speculation" forum so we could avoid these posts altogether?

Sorry, but there’s just so much of this stuff…

Am I about to get my first official Maxima.org flaming?

Old 03-05-2001, 02:24 PM
Pusssseeeehhhh

"how about no scott.." lol
Old 03-05-2001, 02:28 PM
dvyuan

If the rumors are all true about the specs I think it might just bump the Maxima out of it's place. Of course those are all rumors, so we will not know till they actually release the car.

Old 03-05-2001, 03:34 PM
KahunaCanuck

02 Altima vs. Max

The new Altima, if it lives up to all of the speculation, will be impressive. I don't think Nissan is going to burn all of it's loyal Maxima owners and make a bloated car. It will probably turn out to be similar to the 3 series & the 5 series for BMW, not a huge difference in size. The big thing most are ignoring is the switch to rear wheel drive. Am I the only one who thinks this is fantastic news??

Old 03-05-2001, 03:42 PM

RWD? Yes please.

I think switching to RWD is incredible. I had no idea that Nissan was going to do that to the Maxima, but it does make sense. It's easier for the rear wheels to handle the new engines (from what I hear, it's going to be a DOHC 3.5 with 260hp for the base, and 280+hp for the SE-R). RWD will finally make the Maxima a true sports sedan, even if it is a little larger. By the way, where did everybody find out about all of this? I got my info from posts at http://www.b15sentra.net.
Old 03-05-2001, 04:41 PM
Adam01GXE

try freshalloy.com

Old 03-05-2001, 06:17 PM

Adboy

Not to be an a**hole or anything, but how many people (besides me) would prefer if we started up a separate "nissan rumors & speculation" forum so we could avoid these posts altogether?
Not to rub it in, but you are alone with this one Adboy!
Old 03-05-2001, 06:43 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I, for one, would be disappointed if they take the Maxima RWD. Which I dont think they would do. For one thing, it adds hardware and makes the car heavier. Of course, if they are truly making it bigger, probably no one will care. And living in Chicago, FWD is a blessing. With my Blizzaks in January, I keep pace with SUV's and their 99% standard equipment all-season tires.

What a guy who works for a Nissan dealer told me, is that Nissan is taking the Maxima more upscale. That seems more believable to me. And would be just fine with me. Making the base Maxima start at GLE levels would make more sense. And then the more upscale GLE could compete with Acura and Lexus. The I30 could then make the move to full luxury to compete with BMW and the like.

Just my humble input.
Old 03-05-2001, 07:05 PM

If you compare a 2002 VQ30 Altima to a 2002 VQ35 Maxima then tat would be fair.

Of course you could argue that the current Altima kills a G1 Max, but that is taken so far out of context it's not funny.

It's not a question of killing one another. You like the Altima, get it. You like the Max, get it. You want to find out who is faster, show up to the drag strip and run what you brung.

Not to mention you forgot the most important part of this competition... The driver. A good driver can make up for slower car, a bad driver can embaras a good car.

Old 03-06-2001, 10:31 AM

Re: 02 Altima vs. Max

Originally posted by KahunaCanuck
The new Altima, if it lives up to all of the speculation, will be impressive
Don't want to upset any patriots out there... So DON'T READ if you're proud of US built V6s.

The reason I got MAX is simple: it's built in Japan. Altima is (and will be) built in USA (Tennessee as far as I know).

--just my 2 cents