5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Review of TOKICO ILLUMINA/EIBACH settings!! (long)

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2004, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by 2kGLE
looking at the ratings, Eibachs are more comfortable on the road and handle better on the track. Eibach has better response, the braking is the same, but H&R has better traction. It says H&R handle better in real word road ratings though.
Good info!
yeah i know it makes me think now ;p wondering which i should go for
Old 01-27-2004, 05:56 PM
vsamoylov

what is the differance between regular H&r and H&R Sport Springs ?

Old 01-22-2006, 11:37 AM

sorry to bring an old thread back but i have in searched and cant find how to adjust the rear struts i love my setup but the rear end is to harsh for me any help is appriciated
Old 01-22-2006, 12:37 PM
Driving is the next best thing

Originally Posted by Ricksi30
sorry to bring an old thread back but i have in searched and cant find how to adjust the rear struts i love my setup but the rear end is to harsh for me any help is appriciated
What kind of struts do you have?

BTW: thank you for bumping this thread, it's something i've been looking for a long time
Old 01-22-2006, 12:41 PM
It's business time.

Originally Posted by Ricksi30
There is a picture up a few posts. You have to attain access to the rear strut towers.
Old 01-22-2006, 12:47 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

just turn the dial with a flat head screwdriver.
Old 01-22-2006, 12:53 PM

I have had mine for over a year.......

I have had mine for over a year now Iluminas & Htechs. I had settled on 3F/3R 2 weeks after the install. The ride on this setting was great very neutral but harsh over bumps in the road. Recently I was driving in a freinds stock maxima & was rather jealous of the comfy ride. So I switched to 2F/3R & it is such a difference in ride quality. It is much more forgiving on bumpy NY roads with out giving up much in the handleing dept. I recommend this setting to anyone in NY or anyplace with less then ideal roads.
Old 01-22-2006, 01:54 PM

i drive on 5f 5r all the time yeah its a hell of a stiff ride especially on these streets but im young i live with it. I've found 5 f&r to be my best setting but i still understeer. my front tires break free way before my rear do. I set the setting to 4f 5r to stiffen the rear and still no oversteer went 3f 5r and nothin'. i no longer have my stillen rear sway that alone before my illuminas would make me oversteer. i never had my sway bar with the illuminas. i think im going to purchase another one again.
Old 01-22-2006, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by DrKlop
What kind of struts do you have?

BTW: thank you for bumping this thread, it's something i've been looking for a long time
i have illuminas and i figured it out i just didnt know where to get to them but thanks....and this is a great thread. mine were set to 5 all around and it was way to stiff for me so i went to 2 all around and with my eibachs its perfect for me. this would be a great thread for the faqs or something though very informative.
Old 01-22-2006, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by 2kGLE
I dont have a problem with hitting bumps like you describe on 2/2. 2/2 doesnt feel very stiff or harsh to me, and none of the settings feel floaty. My GLE suspension felt floaty.
How is it possible that none of the settings are floaty? Do illuminas have such a little range of adjustability?
Old 01-22-2006, 09:17 PM
350 Detroit Muscle

subscribing
Old 01-22-2006, 10:13 PM

what does it mean to understeer?
thx
huso
Old 01-22-2006, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by shift_2kmaxima
what does it mean to understeer?
thx
huso
understeer = front wheels loose traction first at hard cornering
oversteer = rear wheels loose traction first at hard cornering
neutral steer = breakaway is neutral
Old 01-23-2006, 07:55 AM

How is it possible that none of the settings are floaty? Do illuminas have such a little range of adjustability?
It is possible because the information in this thread is all based on someone's opinion and has to be taken with a grain of salt. His definition and perception of a "floaty" ride may be, and probably is, different from the next guy's or yours.
Old 01-23-2006, 08:29 AM
It's business time.

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
It is possible because the information in this thread is all based on someone's opinion and has to be taken with a grain of salt. His definition and perception of a "floaty" ride may be, and probably is, different from the next guy's or yours.
JK, I know you share this opinion a lot.

I think the only things that you can actually recommend (as specific settings vary on locations, climates, road conditions, personal preference) is the product specifically. We can agree that Illuminas are a good product for specific reasons (adjustability, reliability, popularity), but it isn't a bad idea to leave it at that. Most people recommend the product, once you have it its your decision what setting you put it at.

I do have a question though: My Illuminas are (hopefully) en route and I was wondering about how the settings work. Can you adjust them simply by getting out and adjusting or do you have to jack/lift the car?
Old 01-23-2006, 08:37 AM
Drug Money

That's tight. I was thinking about H-Tech's on Illuminas. I dunno how the ride is gonna be though, Eibachs are supposed to be a lot stiffer IMO.
Old 01-23-2006, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Progress
JK, I know you share this opinion a lot.
Because no one listens and then people get all worked up when someone else has a different opinion on ride quality.

I think the only things that you can actually recommend (as specific settings vary on locations, climates, road conditions, personal preference) is the product specifically. We can agree that Illuminas are a good product for specific reasons (adjustability, reliability, popularity), but it isn't a bad idea to leave it at that. Most people recommend the product, once you have it its your decision what setting you put it at.
People just need to understand that a lot of it is opinion and be discerning when reading the opinions and recommendations.

I do have a question though: My Illuminas are (hopefully) en route and I was wondering about how the settings work. Can you adjust them simply by getting out and adjusting or do you have to jack/lift the car?
No jacking... fronts are accessible under the hood with a flat head screwdriver. Rears are more complicated. You need to access the strut tower mounts either by crawling into your trunk or via the passenger seat pass through. You'll need either a really long flat head or a really small one to get to the ****. Or just get creative. Once you install it, you'll see what I mean.
Old 01-23-2006, 08:55 AM
It's business time.

Because no one listens and then people get all worked up when someone else has a different opinion on ride quality.
Don't get me wrong. I appreciate it. You're the unofficial pruner of the 5th Gen forum. To bad you aren't a mod [yet].

People just need to understand that a lot of it is opinion and be discerning when reading the opinions and recommendations.
Yep.

:No jacking... fronts are accessible under the hood with a flat head screwdriver. Rears are more complicated. You need to access the strut tower mounts either by crawling into your trunk or via the passenger seat pass through. You'll need either a really long flat head or a really small one to get to the ****. Or just get creative. Once you install it, you'll see what I mean.
Thanks! I'm so psyched to get these in and get my car dropped. I'm going to have a Christmas in February (New brakes, H-techs, Illuminas, 17 deg timing advance).
Old 01-23-2006, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by dextterity
Gonna post those pics housecor? ;p would be real nice to see. And does anyone looking at this thread have koni's or know about them and maybe compare them to the illuminas, koni seems to be a little more $$ retail and 2kgle thinks they're suppose to be a b1tch to adjust especially in the rear (requirs both rear wheels to be removed) and that doesn't sound good at all. I hope these illuminas are close or even have the same quality as koni's are known for, if so then the illuminas can save us money and trouble
Just in case anyone still cares. I have some experience with Koni adjustables and H&R's on my 91' SAAB 9000.

IMO, The Illuminas walk all over the Koni's. I am compairing different cars so I wont go into performance too much. They are both very smooth and consistent struts. Problems I had were with the adjustability and install of the Konis.

They dont make complete strut replacements for the SAAB or the Max to the best of my knowledge, so that leaves you with inserts instead. You have to cut apart your stock struts and then bolt them in the stock housings which is kind of a PITA when compared to the alternative.

The Konis up front are adjustable at the top of the strut as are the Illuminas, but for the rear you have to actually remove the rear struts and spin the plunger a certain distance. There are no helpful numbers or clicks like on the Illuminas.

All of this probably expalins why I've never heard of anyone with Konis on their Max.
Old 01-23-2006, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by NewLoveI30
The Konis up front are adjustable at the top of the strut as are the Illuminas, but for the rear you have to actually remove the rear struts and spin the plunger a certain distance.
Where are the rear plungers located, on top of the rear strut towers?

Does cold weather affect performance?
Old 01-23-2006, 06:48 PM

Hm, I just tried 4f/4r on my stock springs. I like it--not *too* harsh but it feels very active and firm, with (seemingly) no front-end dive during braking.
Old 01-23-2006, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by spirilis
Hm, I just tried 4f/4r on my stock springs. I like it--not *too* harsh but it feels very active and firm, with (seemingly) no front-end dive during braking.
it's not really the right place to discuss it but I'm pretty sure than 4 is not the best setting for good handling with stock springs.

Do this: accelerate to like 50 - 60 mph and than slam on your brake pedal. If your car continues leaning forward (even if it's a small amount of time) after the pedal has been pressed, your suspension setup is far not the best.
Old 01-23-2006, 07:44 PM

Where are the rear plungers located, on top of the rear strut towers?

Does cold weather affect performance?
I was speaking of that actuall shaft that goes into the strut housing. You have to rotate the entire thing. Therefore the strut has to removed from the car in order to adjust the rears.

I am under the impression that cold weather effects all suspension set-ups. I for one am not sure how you could judge the performance of the shock its self when the springs become stiffer when cold too.