5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

People with body kits questions for you!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2004, 08:28 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

People with body kits questions for you!!!!

I see alot of you with body kits and the I was wondering where would be a good place to get it painted. I didn't want to go to Macco for that kind of job. I want it to match my stock paint perfect. How much did ya'll pay for the job and where did ya'll have it done?
Old 01-22-2004, 10:02 PM

i think to have it match perfectly u have to paint the whole car.
Old 01-22-2004, 10:10 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Originally Posted by PearlWhtMaX2000
i think to have it match perfectly u have to paint the whole car.
Incorrect !.....If you go to a top of the line shop, they can make it look like it came with the car. I hit my front end 2 years ago, and had it fixed a kick a.s.s. shop, and you could never tell anything happened to the car, or detect a difference in the paint. Also , remember to get a kit that fits properly, like Stillen. Most cheap kits kit like a.s.s. , as many Org member can tell you. You get what you pay for. Go poly urethane , you wont regret it.
Old 01-22-2004, 10:18 PM

why dont you get it painted by a nissan body shop? thats what i did....even though my car color doesnt really need much matching up
Old 01-22-2004, 10:30 PM

how much did nissan charge u?
Old 01-22-2004, 10:33 PM

how much did nissan charge u?
i paid $245
Old 01-22-2004, 10:37 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Well, to give you an idea, my shop charges 700 or so. Here is a pic of my friends car , he had his done there. Absoloutely flawless....you cant even see the rivets for the kit.

Old 01-22-2004, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by kloogy
Well, to give you an idea, my shop charges 700 or so. Here is a pic of my friends car , he had his done there. Absoloutely flawless....you cant even see the rivets for the kit.

looks clean, but wow 700 is alot
Old 01-22-2004, 10:42 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Put it to you this way. Ask any org member in So Cal that saw this Max in person. You get what you pay for. I have seen a lot of Maxes with kits.....NONE are as clean as this one looked. He sold it BTW....
Old 01-22-2004, 11:09 PM

wow when i was asking around how much it wouild cost to paint just the sarona kit that i ordered the best price i got was $800 for painting and putting it on. but the sarona kit is all new bumpers.
Old 01-22-2004, 11:19 PM

wow when i was asking around how much it wouild cost to paint just the sarona kit that i ordered the best price i got was $800 for painting and putting it on. but the sarona kit is all new bumpers.
yeah, 800 isnt too bad of a price, considering your kit requires alot more painting and you get it professionally installed and with the sarona kit, alignment is crucial
Old 01-22-2004, 11:29 PM

First of all OEM Nissan paint sucks @ss, I wouldnt want nissan quality paint on my ride

Most shops will do the install for $250-$400 but I dont think they do it right, the place that did mine didnt sand it down...well with polyurethane you have to sand the living hell out of it to get the paint to stay on. I didnt know about them not sanding it til a few weeks ago, damn paint started to come off I just got the front lip redone & slapped it back on tonight & it still doesnt fit 100% correctly, the inside area of the lip has to be sanded a bit on certain areas to get it to sit right
Well too late now, when time comes im going to just get the whole car repainted with some damn good paint thats a bit more resistant to chips. On top of that im going to have them mold the damn kit onto the car so I wont even need those ghetto rivets.
Small imperfections cant be seen to most any1, but I can tell. I know were each and every flaw is & what can I say im picky. I want **** done right the 1st time, so if $700-800 is the price tag to get it done CORRECTLY the 1st time, that includes sanding the living hell out of it (make sure you tell them that like 20 times) then its probably worth it.
Old 01-22-2004, 11:35 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Originally Posted by HitManSE
First of all OEM Nissan paint sucks @ss, I wouldnt want nissan quality paint on my ride

Most shops will do the install for $250-$400 but I dont think they do it right, the place that did mine didnt sand it down...well with polyurethane you have to sand the living hell out of it to get the paint to stay on. I didnt know about them not sanding it til a few weeks ago, damn paint started to come off I just got the front lip redone & slapped it back on tonight & it still doesnt fit 100% correctly, the inside area of the lip has to be sanded a bit on certain areas to get it to sit right
Well too late now, when time comes im going to just get the whole car repainted with some damn good paint thats a bit more resistant to chips. On top of that im going to have them mold the damn kit onto the car so I wont even need those ghetto rivets.
Small imperfections cant be seen to most any1, but I can tell. I know were each and every flaw is & what can I say im picky. I want **** done right the 1st time, so if $700-800 is the price tag to get it done CORRECTLY the 1st time, that includes sanding the living hell out of it (make sure you tell them that like 20 times) then its probably worth it.
You saw Carlos' kit didnt you John ?.....
Old 01-22-2004, 11:35 PM

yeah i hear you on finding all the flaws that nobody else can see...and i know nissan paint isnt the best, but it was a good deal, and they sanded it down, i watched them doing it. hopefully I wont run into the same problems your having.....
Old 01-22-2004, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by gsumax
yeah i hear you on finding all the flaws that nobody else can see...and i know nissan paint isnt the best, but it was a good deal, and they sanded it down, i watched them doing it. hopefully I wont run into the same problems your having.....
Well as long as they sanded it, you should be fine for a while. I just hate having to redo things its like taking a step back.
Hmm...just out of curiosity, to what frequecny do you have that JL w6v2 tuned at? & do you still have your rear-view mirror stuck on your windsheild
Old 01-22-2004, 11:50 PM

bodyshop where I go, since I know him he hooked me up. I got mine done
$400 painting and installed and he does a hell out of a job......go to my site
and take a look at my pics.......go with urethane.
Old 01-22-2004, 11:53 PM

Well!! I was the one who hooked gsumax up on his paint. This nissan dealership in atlanta does a good job. I paid about what he paid, and me and shadow put my kit on. Look at the results... Matches just fine.

Old 01-23-2004, 08:21 AM

Got mine painted and installed for 300 by some little shop in the ghetto. THe paint match was perfect but the installation was a little sloppy.

Also have any of you with a stillen kit had trouble with fittment of the sideskirts
Old 01-23-2004, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by chris'smax
Got mine painted and installed for 300 by some little shop in the ghetto. THe paint match was perfect but the installation was a little sloppy.

Also have any of you with a stillen kit had trouble with fittment of the sideskirts
i didnt have trouble with my side skirts, but we had trouble with fitment of the rear.
Old 01-23-2004, 09:07 AM

i didnt have trouble with my side skirts, but we had trouble with fitment of the rear.

I guess all these pieces aren't exactly the same because my rear fit great
Old 01-23-2004, 09:19 AM

Trade parts then!
Old 01-23-2004, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Woo Cho
bodyshop where I go, since I know him he hooked me up. I got mine done
$400 painting and installed and he does a hell out of a job......go to my site
and take a look at my pics.......go with urethane.
Hey Woo Cho,

What shop did you go to? Plus I love that kit you have where did you get it and how much did it cost?
Old 01-23-2004, 05:02 PM

Well as long as they sanded it, you should be fine for a while. I just hate having to redo things its like taking a step back.
Hmm...just out of curiosity, to what frequecny do you have that JL w6v2 tuned at? & do you still have your rear-view mirror stuck on your windsheild
i believe its tuned at 50hz, if thats what ur asking?? and lol, yes my rear-view is still intact, but alot of things just randomly rattle in my car now
Old 01-23-2004, 07:04 PM

i believe its tuned at 50hz, if thats what ur asking?? and lol, yes my rear-view is still intact, but alot of things just randomly rattle in my car now
i thought u had a w7!!
Old 01-24-2004, 02:16 AM

700 is about what I paid for the thing. Kloogy is right, it was flawless. Paint never chipped, and I liked the fact that you couldn't see any rivets, screws, etc. Gave it a very clean look.
Old 01-24-2004, 02:54 PM

It would be hard to paint a kit for my 5th gen....Polished Titanium
Old 01-25-2004, 03:38 AM

50hz!... wtf dood. Ok so no doubt its loud but that a tuning freqency for SPL man. Did you want it that high? or some1 suggested it that high or what?
I have mine tuned to 28hz and it will still hammer the eyes out of your skull, but your frequency range is next to nothing man. Im not trying to sound like an @ss but you really cant play notes lower then 40hz with that w/o the sub reaching is xmax and unloading. Damn man, 50hz it up there...your nuts
As for rattles, yeah they suck. With certain songs, I feel like my trunk lid is about to blow right off
Old 01-25-2004, 10:43 AM

50hz!... wtf dood. Ok so no doubt its loud but that a tuning freqency for SPL man. Did you want it that high? or some1 suggested it that high or what?
I have mine tuned to 28hz and it will still hammer the eyes out of your skull, but your frequency range is next to nothing man. Im not trying to sound like an @ss but you really cant play notes lower then 40hz with that w/o the sub reaching is xmax and unloading. Damn man, 50hz it up there...your nuts
As for rattles, yeah they suck. With certain songs, I feel like my trunk lid is about to blow right off

well, i must doing this totally wrong, but i thought you wanted frequencies up to fifty played by ur sub. I dont really know the concept, but the lower i go in frequency, the less notes played by the sub that are over 28hz??
Old 01-25-2004, 11:37 AM

i went to a local shop...said i was gonna pay cash
they painted all my body pieces and my rear bumper for 400...
and they did an aweosme job
Old 01-25-2004, 12:37 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Originally Posted by BLKMAX005SPD
i went to a local shop...said i was gonna pay cash
they painted all my body pieces and my rear bumper for 400...
and they did an aweosme job
You offered cash ? What else did you plan on paying with,,, WIC or food stamps.....

J/K ...
Old 01-25-2004, 01:06 PM

You offered cash ? What else did you plan on paying with,,, WIC or food stamps.....

J/K ...
cash instead of a credit card...
that way he won't have to write a bill up...
he won't have to turn it in for tax purposes...
he just put the money in his pocket and said have fun