5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

TSB for 2K trannie slipping question

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2004, 02:13 PM

TSB for 2K trannie slipping question

I've read the TSB for the 2K transmission slipping problem that involves the delayed shift between 1 & 2 and possibly 2 & 3 and I think it might just apply to my car. If I really get in the throttle from a dead stop there is a definate pause between the 1 & 2 shift. My car is no longer under warranty so is this an issue that could possibly deter the life of my transmission? I don't really want to drop $500 or so on this repair if it's really not needed unless I'm racing (which I don't). Also, I'm scheduled to have my Nissan dealer look at this issue Tuesday. Is there any tricks for easy duplication when I get there? I thought I read somewhere on here that it may happen more often when cold. Any help is appreciated.
Old 01-23-2004, 02:18 PM
SEdge

i believe the fix for this is just a replacement MAF sensor...run you about a hundred bucks if you have to pay for it.

Old 01-23-2004, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by SEdge
i believe the fix for this is just a replacement MAF sensor...run you about a hundred bucks if you have to pay for it.
That would be great if that turns out to be the case. The TSB I read (NTB00-039a) involved the Solenoid Valve assembly and the Transmission Control Module. TSB states that you replaced the valve assembly first then test, if problem still persit then to replace the TCM. The parts are roughly $350 & $585 from my dealer.
Old 01-23-2004, 03:00 PM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Originally Posted by corruptone
I've read the TSB for the 2K transmission slipping problem that involves the delayed shift between 1 & 2 and possibly 2 & 3 and I think it might just apply to my car. If I really get in the throttle from a dead stop there is a definate pause between the 1 & 2 shift. My car is no longer under warranty so is this an issue that could possibly deter the life of my transmission? I don't really want to drop $500 or so on this repair if it's really not needed unless I'm racing (which I don't). Also, I'm scheduled to have my Nissan dealer look at this issue Tuesday. Is there any tricks for easy duplication when I get there? I thought I read somewhere on here that it may happen more often when cold. Any help is appreciated.
the fix is not a maf replacement. you stated the correct parts from the tsb. i had my solenoids replaced first then the tcm a few months later. i actually did not have any slippage after the solenoids but my service writer offered to replace the tcm under warranty. the slippage will just cause more heat buildup and will only contribute to the breakdown of the tranny. the best way to reproduce the slippage is to find a hill and start from a roll at the bottom. that seems to be the best to duplicate it. it will probably also be more prone to do it when its cold but that means leaving it over night or sit for a couple of hours.
Old 01-23-2004, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by sloppymax
the fix is not a maf replacement. you stated the correct parts from the tsb. i had my solenoids replaced first then the tcm a few months later. i actually did not have any slippage after the solenoids but my service writer offered to replace the tcm under warranty. the slippage will just cause more heat buildup and will only contribute to the breakdown of the tranny. the best way to reproduce the slippage is to find a hill and start from a roll at the bottom. that seems to be the best to duplicate it. it will probably also be more prone to do it when its cold but that means leaving it over night or sit for a couple of hours.
Thanks a bunch for info!
Old 01-23-2004, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by SEdge
Since when a mass air flow sensor has something to do with transmission slipping?
Old 01-23-2004, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by TZapper
Since when a mass air flow sensor has something to do with transmission slipping?

where do u go to read if youre car has a tsb,,((besides a nissan dealer)
Old 01-24-2004, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by phantomax01
where do u go to read if youre car has a tsb,,((besides a nissan dealer)
This is where I go: http://maxima.theowensfamily.com/tsb/
Old 01-24-2004, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by corruptone
no but you know how sometimes you see people say my ecu read this "tsb"(or whatever number it is, where do i go to see if my car has any problems like that. will somewhere like pep boys or autozone be able to help?
Old 01-24-2004, 01:09 PM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Originally Posted by phantomax01
no but you know how sometimes you see people say my ecu read this "tsb"(or whatever number it is, where do i go to see if my car has any problems like that. will somewhere like pep boys or autozone be able to help?
autozone will perform free diagnostics but if your ses (service engine light) is not illuminated then you most likely do not have any issues. of course this only tracks what is sent to the ecu so it will not track some mechanical issues. also there are a few codes that will are sent to the ecu but will not light up the ses such as the knock sensor but i have not seen or heard about one failing on 5th gens.
remember also this will on give you the error code, not the tsb number. you will have to search through them for the fault codes to see if it applies.