5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Speaker Shorting out

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2004, 06:20 PM
Donating Member

Speaker Shorting out

Anyone else with the base stereo having problems with the left side speakers in the cold? I'm getting a really strange sound from the bass that seems like a short. I had the same problem last winter that the Dealer thought was the A-pillar speaker and replaced it but to no avail. The told me the left side door speaker was back-ordered and never heard back from them. The problem went away all summer and has now returned. Befor echasing the Dealer I was curious if anyone else had the problem.

PS - I never owned a new car before this and never owned a car that made so many trips to the Garage....talk about a love/hate relationship!!!!
Old 01-27-2004, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Pangburn
Anyone else with the base stereo having problems with the left side speakers in the cold? I'm getting a really strange sound from the bass that seems like a short. I had the same problem last winter that the Dealer thought was the A-pillar speaker and replaced it but to no avail. The told me the left side door speaker was back-ordered and never heard back from them. The problem went away all summer and has now returned. Befor echasing the Dealer I was curious if anyone else had the problem.

PS - I never owned a new car before this and never owned a car that made so many trips to the Garage....talk about a love/hate relationship!!!!
i have the same exact problem...the weird thing is if i slam on my breaks the left side goes back on....or if i hit a pothole...i actually made a game of it....my guess was it was the wiring...mainly because it only doesnt work when i use the cd player the radio works fine no matter what the weather....if u ask me its bs
Old 01-27-2004, 06:28 PM

try removing the radio and looking at the stock harness.. make sure all the wires are secure in the harness..

blake
Old 01-27-2004, 06:47 PM

My system did it before and after I changed out my stock speakers. I am also using my own speaker wires run from my amp in the trunk. I am using all aftermarket stuff with the exception of the stock non-bose head unit. I noticed that mine happens the morning after taking my car to the car wash and only when it is below 20 degrees farenheight. I think a lot of water gets in the doors and freezes in there and maybe the speakers get moist and freeze slightly and get too stiff to move. Did you ever notice that when you roll your windows up and down a few hours after washing the car that your windows come up from the door wet? Mine do all the time. My speaker problems usually are cleared up after leaving my car parked all day at work when the car warms up a little in the sun.

Originally Posted by Pangburn

Old 01-27-2004, 07:32 PM

If it's only when the CD player is playing, then there is a TSB out for it. The Bose radio has a bad cable inside of it that causes cutouts on the driver's side. If you hit the driver's SIDE of the center console (not the center itself... the SIDE) it will cutout and/or restore the sound. Take it to a dealer and they'll replace it.
Old 01-27-2004, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by studman
If it's only when the CD player is playing, then there is a TSB out for it. The Bose radio has a bad cable inside of it that causes cutouts on the driver's side. If you hit the driver's SIDE of the center console (not the center itself... the SIDE) it will cutout and/or restore the sound. Take it to a dealer and they'll replace it.
thanks ill check that out!
Old 01-27-2004, 10:02 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

My front door speaker has a opposite problem.
The speaker is fine when it is cold.
After the car warm up the speaker sound distorted.
But once I turn off the car and let the speaker cool down, it back to normal.
A guy in circuitcity told me that I have a blown speaker.
So I bought a pair of new speakers to replace it (upgrading )
I will put the new speakers in the car this weekend.
Hopefully it will solve my problem.
Old 01-27-2004, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by studman

mine was cutting off when playing CDs...took it to the dealer and they're replacing it this thursday...
Old 01-31-2004, 02:13 PM
Donating Member

Originally Posted by mdmartin92
My system did it before and after I changed out my stock speakers. I am also using my own speaker wires run from my amp in the trunk. I am using all aftermarket stuff with the exception of the stock non-bose head unit. I noticed that mine happens the morning after taking my car to the car wash and only when it is below 20 degrees farenheight. I think a lot of water gets in the doors and freezes in there and maybe the speakers get moist and freeze slightly and get too stiff to move. Did you ever notice that when you roll your windows up and down a few hours after washing the car that your windows come up from the door wet? Mine do all the time. My speaker problems usually are cleared up after leaving my car parked all day at work when the car warms up a little in the sun.
Great points, I'll have to keep an eye on it. It's been below 20 up here for about a month now so it's been a PITA lately. I'll have to check the window thing each time it acts up and give the dealer a call ASAP. BTW - it happens with the radio or CD and it's a non-BOSE system. It mostly screws up the Bass.

Anyone still having this problem AFTER swapping out the door speaker? I'm afraid to keep letting the dealer take parts of the car apart without needing too.
Old 02-02-2004, 03:03 PM

Is it the 6 disc Bose? If so, then don't waste your time worrying about the speaker. Its your headunit. Major problem with the 6 disc HU that Bose made. Had mine replaced too. Infuriating when that speaker goes out. Hit a pothole and your in mono all of the sudden. The dealer should replace it no problem.