5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Y-pipe, B-pipe question

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2004, 03:13 PM

Y-pipe, B-pipe question

I’m planning to get a y-pipe and I have pretty much decided on a Cattman SS Y-pipe and I think a b-pipe. I will probably leave the rest of the exhaust stock rather than add a complete catback system as I don’t want a lot of noise. I have read most of the threads and faq’s regarding y-pipes in order to make an informed decision. BTW, I have a 2k1 AE auto. Is there any advantage to putting on a b-pipe and if so, what is a good brand and where to buy? I think I read that a b-pipe with resonator would create least noise. I am looking for gains without a lot of noise. I know there have been lots of threads about this so please forgive redundancy. Any help here is greatly appreciated. Thanks, I really value the information from knowledgeable people here on the .org.
Gail
Old 01-28-2004, 04:23 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

dont expect too much gain with a cat-back on a NA car. if you want, just get a ypipe and fix those two crushed section on the stock bpipe.

if you really want to get one......greddy, cattman, franken car have 2.5" full catback. Warpspeed and budget have 2.25" or 2.5" bpipe.
Old 01-28-2004, 05:49 PM
Maxima Pilot

Originally Posted by 2k1seae
I’m planning to get a y-pipe and I have pretty much decided on a Cattman SS Y-pipe and I think a b-pipe.
You...you........you...mod freak, you!!

Wassamada wid u? First it was the Frankencar, and now this?? Whatever happened to the H&R idea? Screw the kidneys, u just wanna go like hell at WOT, right?

PS: I second that notion...I'm still debating whether I do more mods or do something with my too noisy Pilots so I can get the Turanza LSVs. Hey, I know....I sell u my Pilots...dey only have about 5k miles!!?? U need new tires, right?

LOL!!!!!!!!
Old 01-28-2004, 07:45 PM

correct me if im wrong but isnt the rumble of a nice exhaust a good thing?
Old 01-29-2004, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by jessemcd
correct me if im wrong but isnt the rumble of a nice exhaust a good thing?
Some people like the rumble of a nice exhaust, and think it's great.
Some people, myself included, ABHOR and completely DETEST any exhaust noise above stock... unless it truly is unnoticeable.
Old 01-29-2004, 10:14 AM

Galo - Yes I need new tires. Probably in the spring. I just think the faint rumble of the exhaust would be nice. Oh, and I'll take the extra hp, too. Mod freak? - kinda guilty. NWMaxima is going to be at Woodburn in May - I'll see what it'll do. Go like hell is good. lol
jessemcd,spirilis - I like the sound of the exhaust as long as it's subtle and not really loud.
maxi-overdose - thanks for info. I'm not looking for full catback. My main question was the advantage of the b-pipe and the noise factor with or without a resonator ( I believe that with a resonator would be quieter). Are Warpspeed and Budget the only sources and who do I get them from? Is there any difference between them?
Thanks.
Gail
Old 01-29-2004, 11:17 AM

2k1se, you might not like the greddy then because its pretty loud!
Old 01-29-2004, 12:37 PM

maxi-overdose - thanks for info. I'm not looking for full catback. My main question was the advantage of the b-pipe and the noise factor with or without a resonator ( I believe that with a resonator would be quieter). Are Warpspeed and Budget the only sources and who do I get them from? Is there any difference between them?
Thanks.
Gail

it also depends on your choice of muffler. If you decided the keep stock muffler and go with an aftermarket bpipe without a resonator, you can probably handle the noise and it is cheaper with out a resonator. But if you change a muffler to a straight thru one it will be pretty damn loud. Greddy has a straight thru muffler and a tiny resonator.

I dont think resonator will hurt the preformance at all......I would just get a largest resonator available.

you can ask your local muffler shop to make you a bpipe. Cattman also sells bpipe and theirs is full stainless steel 2.5" Budget and Warpspeed pipe should be similar...both are mandrel bent and aluminized steel. You might have to pay more shipping for budget pipe because they are located in Canada.
Old 01-29-2004, 12:47 PM

maxi-overdose - Thanks for the info. Not looking for cattback. Going to keep the stock muffler. I didn't see a b-pipe on cattman's web site. I'll check again. Is their a web site for Budget?

Never mind I found it. Wow! $260 with resonator.
Old 01-29-2004, 03:01 PM

is there any difference in y and b pipes as far as performance wise with different brands? im thinking cattman and stillen are overpriced. seems like warpspeed or budget would be the best
Old 01-29-2004, 03:08 PM

I wouldn't think that there would be much difference in performance. I'm concerned about quality and fittment. Budget b-pipe = $260 + shipping from Canada. Cattman b-pipe = $275 + shipping from Custommaxima. Toss up. Both stainless steel with resonator.
Old 01-29-2004, 04:10 PM

I have a Budget y-pipe and had no problem with the install, performance is great also!
Old 01-29-2004, 04:55 PM
Banned

I wouldn't think that there would be much difference in performance. I'm concerned about quality and fittment. Budget b-pipe = $260 + shipping from Canada. Cattman b-pipe = $275 + shipping from Custommaxima. Toss up. Both stainless steel with resonator.
That is in Cdn$ its only $195 US. All Budget y-pipes and B-pipes are T-304 SS, they do not make aluminized steel sheit.

Their y-pipe includes shipping to the US, not sure on the B-pipe, call them. http://www.budgetexhaust.com/

I was talking to them today and their 2k2+ Y-pipe will be ready soon as well.

I will probably be buying one if I can pick up a 2k2 within the next month or so. Already have installed 2 complete Budget systems on my 97 and 95 Max and they are great.
Old 01-29-2004, 05:11 PM

Any fittment issues with Budget Y or B pipes. I don't want any rattles. BTW thanks for all the good info. Always nice when you can make an informed purchase.
Old 01-29-2004, 05:16 PM
Banned

Any fittment issues with Budget Y or B pipes. I don't want any rattles. BTW thanks for all the good info. Always nice when you can make an informed purchase.
Not for me at all. However I have read a couple of threads where guys thought they did not fit well. From others though they have a 99% success rate.

Like any exhaust install though, even with a pro it does take some adjusting of the hangars etc to get everything just right.
Old 01-30-2004, 01:27 PM

If I installed just a y-pipe, how much hp/tq would I gain. How much more power would a b-pipe in addition to the y add? (If it matters Im talking about cattman products)
Old 01-31-2004, 12:16 PM

anyone? bump
Old 01-31-2004, 09:31 PM

Cattman = Quality IMHO. Brian Catts make sure his products fits. And if it doesn't, then that is just by chance. Wouldn't it be chaeaper to ship from AZ to OR than, CT to OR? Order directly from Cattman.