5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Weird noises from front of car...please assist

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2004, 07:02 AM

Weird noises from front of car...please assist

What's up guys,

I need some advice on a heavy creaking sound coming from the front wheel/shock/spring/etc. assembly on some slower turns and coming off the compression of a speed bump or a pothole or something of the sort. Does this sound like a familiar problem to anybody? Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 01-29-2004, 07:25 AM

It happens to me..really loud when it's cold outside and the car has been sitting over nigth..there was a popping noise as well coming from the front...the dealer fixed the popping noise by replacing the front sway bar...but conveniently said that the creaking noise could not be replicated. I have a 2001 too and if you notice..there is a TSB out on the 2000 about a similar problem...but the dealer won't acknowledge that saying that it's for a 2000.." you have good parts in your car"..Yeah right!!!
Old 01-29-2004, 10:28 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Is this a new problem? could be snow build up! Have you done any suspension work? after installing my springs I had a similar problem, to fix it I removed the whole assembly from the front right re-seated the spring and re-installed problem solved...Hope this helps kinda.
Old 01-29-2004, 11:45 AM

Can you reproduce the noise every time? Does the creak happen when you push down on the front/back of the car? I had a light creak and it quickly became a constant metal on metal grinding. I needed a new wheel bearing.
Old 01-29-2004, 12:24 PM

I have a "chatter" at 65mph and above on the freeway. Seems to be intermitten...sometimes it is louder than others.

I thought maybe I had left the oil filter shield loose from the last oil change...but it wasn't.

I am now starting to think that this is the front two wind screens (under the car attached to front bumper). If you look, you can see some warpage between the "plastic bolts" that secure it to the front bumper.
Old 01-29-2004, 12:46 PM

The creaking noise doesn't happen at high speeds..only at parking lot speeds...and it doesn't happen when you push the car down ..happens only when you turn left or right and the car sways left to right because of the bumps...thats when you hear a creaking/squishy noise.
Old 01-29-2004, 12:51 PM

I have a front end noise too. 1st I thought it was the front right shock, I makes a kindof "chirping" sound, I was able to recreate the noise whenever going over bumps and when I shut the doors....

One day while tring to find out what it was I noticed the noise was not there with the hood up...

It was the hood latch???? WD-40 solved this problem temporarly I will have to give it some sprays! Maybe you have a similar issue..
Robert
Old 01-29-2004, 12:55 PM

I'm 100% sure it's something to do with the suspension...I'll try spraying WD40 all over the suspension to see what happens.
Old 01-31-2004, 09:44 PM

Thanks for the replies guys, but my suspension is completely stock. And like Takkar says, it only happens at low speed usually on a turn or on a bump. I can't make the sound my pushing down on the car. Its a heavy clunking/creaking that can be lightly felt through the steering wheel and pedals. I'm pretty sure it's a suspension issue as well. I'm going to try and check my wheel bearings and the other possible areas you guys suggested. Thanks for all the replies and thanks in advance for any more you guys could come up with.
Old 01-31-2004, 09:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

check to make sure your rubber spring seats are still in tact. if the rubber is gone, the metal spring is hitting the metal seat, and can cause noise, and you can sometimes feel it as the spring moves.
Old 01-31-2004, 10:15 PM

is there anyway to confirm the seats are messed up just by looking at it..There is a TSB out for such a things but it's for the 2000 Max's and the dealership refuses to "hear" anything since they say that it working as designed. DamNScuM..the metal on metal clunk is mostly likely your sway bars..I had that replaced and the clunk is gone..but the creak/squeaking is still there
Old 01-31-2004, 10:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

could be hard to see the seats with the struts still in the car.. but should be pretty visible, if the rubber is torn or missing, you may be able to jack the car up and see that.
Old 01-31-2004, 10:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 2MuchMAX4U
I have a front end noise too. 1st I thought it was the front right shock, I makes a kindof "chirping" sound, I was able to recreate the noise whenever going over bumps and when I shut the doors....

One day while tring to find out what it was I noticed the noise was not there with the hood up...

It was the hood latch???? WD-40 solved this problem temporarly I will have to give it some sprays! Maybe you have a similar issue..
Robert
hahah i had and did exactly what you did about 3 months ago. thats funny i thought i was the only one
Old 02-01-2004, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by takkar
The creaking noise doesn't happen at high speeds..only at parking lot speeds...and it doesn't happen when you push the car down ..happens only when you turn left or right and the car sways left to right because of the bumps...thats when you hear a creaking/squishy noise.

And I thought I was the only one! I first noticed mine while going down a bumpy gravel driveway. It's a squeaking sound that appears to be from the left front....never noticed it in warm weather. It is irritating, go figure.
Old 02-01-2004, 01:06 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

It could be the control arm bushing. Jack up the car, hold the wheel at 3-9 o'clock position and try to shake it or try to push the control arm itself.
Old 02-01-2004, 03:01 AM

i have this noise to and my car is lowered. I jacked the car up on the right side to observe what was going on. I saw my spring moving when i was turning the steering wheel, my spring was jumping! So i guess my spring isnt sitting right. Whats funny is that if the noise goes away my alignment just goes out the door.
Old 02-05-2004, 12:14 PM

Went to the dealer and he said it's the strut rubber boot that dried up and torn. It's something that protects the strut from dirt. Part wasnt in so he sprayed some lubricant for now...will get is changed sometime next week..will let you know if that helps....hope that helps those with the same issue.
Old 02-05-2004, 02:19 PM

Thanks for all of the replies, I'll probably take my car into the dealership soon, I'll keep the post updated like takkar, hopefully it's simply the same problem. And thanks for the reply on the hood latch problem, I've been hearing that annoying but faint noise for months going crazy trying to find what the heck it is. Once again thanks for the help guys.