5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Broken Motor Mount? Diagnosis help please..

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2004, 12:33 PM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Broken Motor Mount? Diagnosis help please..

I think my motor mount is broken. I seem to have a lot more "clunking" (its a feel not a sound) when gettin on and off the throttle. Seem especially present in the lower gears. I dont seem to "hear" any additional sound. Plus my wheel hop seems to be getting worse (lots of snow around here and very little traction).

Can someone explain to me how a good verus bad motor mount looks? I looked and cant really tell as it seem to be a chunk of rubber in a metal sleeve. I am suspecting the one that is fore to aft versus port to starboard.

If someone has pics of good versus bad...that would be great...but I wont hold my breath.
Old 01-29-2004, 12:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I get that sometimes when really hammering it in 2nd or 3rd gear... I haven't done much hard off-the-line acceleration recently with all the snow, but my 1st gear usually hops a lot.
Old 01-29-2004, 01:10 PM

No pics Colonel. However, do you get slight vibration at idle? I would bet it's your front motor mount. I don't think aftermarket y-pipes help this situation much either. Y-pipes with shorty flex sections put more stress on the engine and it's movement. If you have a FSTB, check to see if it's hitting your hood, might give you some indication if it's bad. Peace_
Old 01-29-2004, 01:18 PM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally Posted by HondaKilLR
No pics Colonel. However, do you get slight vibration at idle? I would bet it's your front motor mount. I don't think aftermarket y-pipes help this situation much either. Y-pipes with shorty flex sections put more stress on the engine and it's movement. If you have a FSTB, check to see if it's hitting your hood, might give you some indication if it's bad. Peace_
Good idea to check the FSTB rubbing either on the manifold or hood. ...no aftermarket exhaust parts. But the FTSB is mounted to the strut brackets...so hitting the hood might not be valid.

No vibration at idle that I can really feel. But I am noticing/feeling a bit more movement in the shifter on acceleration/deceleration.
Old 01-29-2004, 01:24 PM

In that case, check the tranny mount first. You can see it thru your hood if you look straight down the drivers side strut tower, my second guess is the rear mount centered at the rear of the engine. I believe I've had that one replaced before on my 2k. Good luck. Peace_

Originally Posted by Colonel
Good idea to check the FSTB rubbing either on the manifold or hood. ...no aftermarket exhaust parts.

No vibration at idle that I can really feel. But I am noticing/feeling a bit more movement in the shifter on acceleration/deceleration.
Old 01-29-2004, 02:22 PM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally Posted by HondaKilLR
In that case, check the tranny mount first. You can see it thru your hood if you look straight down the drivers side strut tower, my second guess is the rear mount centered at the rear of the engine. I believe I've had that one replaced before on my 2k. Good luck. Peace_
But I am not sure what I am "looking for" to determine if it has failed. Could you enlighten me on this some how? Cracks...bulging...any possible visual indicators?
Old 01-29-2004, 03:03 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

It's 99% of the time the REAR mount on the bottom cross brace by the firewall.

Just get a crowbar and wiggle the engine while under the car looking at it. You should see a tear or light through it, then it's bad. Any metal on metal contact is bad, ie the bolt with the outer part of the mount.