5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

How much are O2 Sensors ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2004, 04:27 AM

How much are O2 Sensors ?

Hi all,

I have two o2 sensors that are bad and am curios how much it'll be to replace them. Recommendations/suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 01-31-2004, 07:31 AM

Here ya go...

The best place to get good quality Bosch 02's is http://discountoxygensensors.com/index.php.

1st make sure that is the problem- DO NOT just go by the code. Pull the panel by the right drivers foot and left passangers foot. (Pull hard the panels just pop off...they are about 10"x 6") You will see the computer. You must firmly connect the wires going into the ECU (passangers side) with 2 thick 18" plastic ties. (do not double connect to 9" ties they will break trust me) There is a TSB for this. It takes <3 minutes. Just wrap the ties around the ECU nice and snug. See when you hit bumps, the connection is known to get loose and bam...SES light. It would be rare for 2 02's to go bad on a 5th gen.- it could happen though. I've replaced the rear- bank 1 sensor 1.

Another thing you must do first is have the dealer do a "reflash." Preferrable after you do the above procedure. They download a new program into the ECU. Only a dealer can do this. If both of these things are done and you reset the light WITH THE OBDII computer, then and only then replace the 02's. Otherwise, you'll spend 100+ on parts- 200 on labor and it will come back on again. Trust me, it happened to me.

Also, make sure your gas cap is tight and in good condition- this can trip lights too. Never get gas with the car running.

Also, if you do replace them, you could do it yourself. It's time consuming and you'll have to jack the car up to get at all the sensors except bank 2 sensor 1. Hint, removing a bad sensor, just cut the wires with wire cutters, they are very strong....and use a deep socket. Bank 1 sensor 1 is a ***** to get at with a wrench- the angle lends itsel to a deep socket much more readily. You'll need a 7/8" wrench and deep socket. Disconnect the negative battery terminal first. After install, have the light reset by Autozone 4 free. You cannot just unplug the battery, it will store the code and come back on later.

Hint:

Bank one is in the rear/firewall side. (thats where #1cylinder is)
Sensor 1 is pre-cat or upstream.

Bank 1 sensor 1 has a BLACK covering on the wire

Bank 1 sensor 2 has a WHITE covering on the wire and it's screwed into the cat.

Bank 2 sensor one has a BLUE wire cover
it is radiator side(which is bank 2) toward the passengers side just outside of the exhaust manifold. about 6 inches down. You have to remove the heat shield to get at this one.

Bank 2 sensor 2 has a RED covering

*If possible clean the threads before installing the new sensor and apply a very little bit of APPROVED anti-seize. (Get this from the stealership)
The clips to the sensor harness are a pain to disconnect, just play with them...push the mechanism is all the way and wiggle them. It took me 5 minutes.

*If you ignore the light, you will get bad gas milage, foul spark plugs and since you will be running in "open loop" mode, your car will run rich which over time will damage your cats$$$.
FYI, Cats are covered to 8/80 under a federal emisions 800nissan1

On the upside, if you do the above, you'll run cleaner, get better gas milage and best of all you'll rid yourself of that annoying SES light that plagues so many.

PS- take my advice for what it's worth, but trust me it is very accurate. Follow it word for word. Good luck. If you have any questions drop me an email.

Originally Posted by dougb
Hi all,

I have two o2 sensors that are bad and am curios how much it'll be to replace them. Recommendations/suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 01-31-2004, 07:34 AM

Prices...

Bank 1 sensor 1 cost me about $100
Bank 2 sensor 1 (which turns out, I didn't need) was $80
Not sure about the others, from $80-$120.
I would do it myself, but labor will run you anywhere from 50-150 per sensor. Avoid dealers...they rip you off and charge aroun $300 per sensor with installation.

Hi all,

Thanks.
Old 01-31-2004, 07:36 AM

Fyi...

The Wire Colors, Prices and procedures are based on my 2001...it should be the same as on your 2000 but make sure.

Hi all,

Thanks.
Old 01-31-2004, 08:00 AM

Well, I had one go bad about 8 months ago and had the code checked at autozone. I chose not to replace it at that point and had autozone just delete the code to turn off the "service engine soon" light. Now, a couple of days ago the "service engine" lignt came on again, went to auozone, and another o2 sensor is bad. I ready to replace both.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 01-31-2004, 08:03 AM

Okay- but it's probably not just the sensors...especially if the code now points to a different sensor. Update this post after you do it. Good luck...

Well, I had one go bad about 8 months ago and had the code checked at autozone. I chose not to replace it at that point and had autozone just delete the code to turn off the "service engine soon" light. Now, a couple of days ago the "service engine" lignt came on again, went to auozone, and another o2 sensor is bad. I ready to replace both.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 01-31-2004, 08:34 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

talk to board member Internetautomar, he can get great prices for you.