5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Inspection time

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2004, 09:13 AM
BiggD23

Inspection time

Time for my first inspection...hard to believe it's been almost a full year since I got my baby! Do you guys think it's better to take it to the dealer for inspection or to a local shop? I got a quote over the phone from a service writer at the dealer...

Inspection/Emmissions (PA) = $75
Tire rotation = $20
HID brackets/Datadots = no charge
Hood rattle TSB = no charge
Rental car for 1 day = $25

This is all I want done. I specifically asked them not to touch my oil or anything else since I do that myself. This seems like a fair price right?

Old 02-05-2004, 10:27 AM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Originally Posted by BiggD23
Time for my first inspection...hard to believe it's been almost a full year since I got my baby! Do you guys think it's better to take it to the dealer for inspection or to a local shop? I got a quote over the phone from a service writer at the dealer...

Inspection/Emmissions (PA) = $75
Tire rotation = $20
HID brackets/Datadots = no charge
Hood rattle TSB = no charge
Rental car for 1 day = $25

This is all I want done. I specifically asked them not to touch my oil or anything else since I do that myself. This seems like a fair price right?
the prices dont seem that unreasonable except for the inspection in pa. i have never heard of emission testing being so high. i know they are set on a state level but its 25 bucks here in NC. as long as the dealer performs the TSBs without saying could not duplicate on the hood rattle then you should be good to go. also if you have an extended warranty, you may want to check the clauses about rental and what they pay/reimburse for.
Old 02-05-2004, 10:44 AM

Take your baby to the dealer for that TSB, and maybe the HID brackets, and that's it. The rest could be done at ANY car shop (Firestone, or whatever), and will most likely cost you half of the amount quoted.
Old 02-05-2004, 11:14 AM
BiggD23

Originally Posted by sloppymax
the prices dont seem that unreasonable except for the inspection in pa. i have never heard of emission testing being so high. i know they are set on a state level but its 25 bucks here in NC. as long as the dealer performs the TSBs without saying could not duplicate on the hood rattle then you should be good to go. also if you have an extended warranty, you may want to check the clauses about rental and what they pay/reimburse for.
$75 is the total for both the inspection and emissions but I don't know it breaks down individually. As far as duplicating the hood rattle...no problems there...all I have to do is lean on the hood or drive over 30 MPH. No extended warranty either...just the basic 3/36. Thanks for the input guys.