5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Hotshot Headers Installed

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2004, 03:50 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hotshot Headers Installed

Ok, they are on and funtioning with one minor mishap. Here's the deal:

Previous exhaust setup
Cattman Y pipe, custom maxima resonated straight pipe, Greddy Catback.

I decided to put my stock cat convertor back on while installing the headers figuring it was necessary since the rear 02 sensors were supposed to be relocated after the main cat. (Here's where the mishap occured)

The installation was done by Jeff at Maximum Tuning who always does excellent work.

Mishap
Their was a miscommunication about relocating the rear o2 sensors and Hotshot did not provide any instruction on this. As a result Jeff installed them in their stock Y pipe locations. So far (about 2.5 hrs of driving time) this has not caused a CEL. Jeff said he would relocate them if they caused a problem.

Impressions
On initial startup their sound is louder than my previous setup. It gives off quiet a nice roar with a touch of raspiness. The neighbors won't be to happy since I often leave for work at 5 am. At idle and cruising speeds it's a little louder than the Y pipe. Above 3k rpm it actually sounds quieter than my previous setup. In fact I would say it sounds damn sweet above 3k rpms.

Performance wise it's harder to describe. I know my Cattman Y pipe seemed faster everytime I drove it after installation and I believe this will also be the case here. I was very pleasantly surprised that their didn't seemed to be any loss of low end torque. The car actually felt slightly more responsive in partial throttle starts from a stop. The only area where I could report a very noticeable increase in power was after 5k rpms when the car seem to pull very hard to redline.

I'll update this thread as I get more info. I plan on going to a dyno but my work situation won't allow that for about 2.5 weeks.

Anybody have any feed back on my oxygen sensor situation?
Old 02-11-2004, 05:09 AM
Blu
the tits

Man Im itching to get mine installed but I have so much other stuff to do also its hard to find the time/help needed for this project. I'm assuming there wasn't any fittment issues which sounds great
Old 02-11-2004, 06:02 AM

No major fitment issues. Jeff said the fit wasn't perfect but it was workable. BTW, car feels faster this morning.
Old 02-11-2004, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by 03BlkSETE

Previous exhaust setup

I decided to put my stock cat convertor back on while installing the headers figuring it was necessary since the rear 02 sensors were supposed to be relocated after the main cat. (Here's where the mishap occured)

The installation was done by Jeff at Maximum Tuning who always does excellent work.

Mishap
Their was a miscommunication about relocating the rear o2 sensors and Hotshot did not provide and instruction on this. As a result Jeff installed them in their stock Y pipe locations. So far (about 2.5 hrs of driving time) this has not caused a CEL. Jeff said he would relocate them if they caused a problem.

Impressions
On initial startup their sound is louder than my previous setup. It gives off quiet a nice roar with a touch of raspiness. The neighbors won't be to happy since I often leave for work at 5 am. At idle and cruising speeds it's a little louder than the Y pipe. Above 3k rpm it actually sounds quieter than my previous setup. In fact I would say it sounds damn sweet above 3k rpms.

Performance wise it's harder to describe. I know my Cattman Y pipe seemed faster everytime I drove it after installation and I believe this will also be the case here. I was very pleasantly surprised that their didn't seemed to be any loss of low end torque. The car actually felt slightly more responsive in partial throttle starts from a stop. The only area where I could report a very noticeable increase in power was after 5k rpms when the car seem to pull very hard to redline.

I'll update this thread as I get more info. I plan on going to a dyno but my work situation won't allow that for about 2.5 weeks.

I had a local muffler shop install the o2 sensors onto my Frankencar b pipe. I had originally wanted the o2 sensors to be installed onto the catylitic converter so that they dont mess up my stainless. Due to ground clearance issues it had to be put onto the b pipe. Make sure you get some shrink tape to cover your splices. water will screw with your o2 sensor readings. What do you think about the cheap telephone wire we were given to extend 02 wire??? So far No SES light by the way how much did the guy charge you to install your headers??
Old 02-11-2004, 06:27 AM

Thanks for the info. I don't know enough to judge the wires provided to extend to the o2 sensor but my mechanic did not like them and didn't end up using them. The way he installed the o2 sensors he didn't have to extend them.
Charge for install was $350 including welding the new o2 bungs in.
Old 02-11-2004, 06:28 AM
Blu
the tits

Originally Posted by jerome johnson
I had a local muffler shop install the o2 sensors onto my Frankencar b pipe. I had originally wanted the o2 sensors to be installed onto the catylitic converter so that they dont mess up my stainless. Due to ground clearance issues it had to be put onto the b pipe. Make sure you get some shrink tape to cover your splices. water will screw with your o2 sensor readings. What do you think about the cheap telephone wire we were given to extend 02 wire??? So far No SES light by the way how much did the guy charge you to install your headers??
can you snap a pic where you located the rear 02 sensors on the b-pipe?
Old 02-11-2004, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by blubyu2k2
can you snap a pic where you located the rear 02 sensors on the b-pipe?
give me email address I can send to you
Old 02-11-2004, 06:42 AM

count me in on that picture also.

jopit12@att.net
Old 02-11-2004, 06:47 AM
Blu
the tits

Originally Posted by jerome johnson
give me email address I can send to you
you have PM
Old 02-11-2004, 07:16 AM

Thanks for the info. I don't know enough to judge the wires provided to extend to the o2 sensor but my mechanic did not like them and didn't end up using them. The way he installed the o2 sensors he didn't have to extend them.
Charge for install was $350 including welding the new o2 bungs in.
I paid $370 for the install & welding.
Old 02-11-2004, 07:24 AM
L33t BMW Drivah

Im dying to see some pics and Dyno....kloogy@hotmail.com...send me pics too
Old 02-11-2004, 09:06 AM

Could you possibly take a recording of sound levels in the cabin and outside the car? Noise is my biggest concern here and since install is so expensive, I'm unwilling to jump into this. I already got burned once pretty badly on another mod.
Old 02-11-2004, 09:21 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Man, I can't wait to get mine on now. I'm still about 2 weeks out for the install.

03BlkSETE - Hotshot emailed me saying that it was necessary to put the O2 sensors AFTER the cat. If they were not installed this way the cel would trip. I guess we'll wait and see if you have any problems.
Old 02-11-2004, 09:23 AM

Previous exhaust setup

Mishap
Their was a miscommunication about relocating the rear o2 sensors and Hotshot did not provide any instruction on this. As a result Jeff installed them in their stock Y pipe locations. So far (about 2.5 hrs of driving time) this has not caused a CEL. Jeff said he would relocate them if they caused a problem.

Impressions

How did the install go? Any tips?
Old 02-11-2004, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by MAXINXS
How did the install go? Any tips?

The install went great for me. I dropped the car and headers off at my mechanics in the morning and picked it up in the evening.

Any quirks I could remember are in my original post.
Old 02-11-2004, 09:47 AM

Just passed inspection.

Old 02-11-2004, 10:17 AM

Great to see you got them on. Wish there was a track open around here, it'd be great to see some trap speeds. Thanks for bein one of the test guys, hope that the Hotshot headers prove tobe better than Stillen ones. Cant wait to see some dynos, i'm hopin these headers are gonna be where my summer $$ goes to!
Old 02-11-2004, 01:34 PM

I just contacted Steve at Southwest and was told he still had the last set in stock, so I bought it. Hope I can make my Max breath a lot better in this "Mile High" air. Will be putting them on myself as soon as they arrive, probably the following weekend.

Jerome, I've PM'd you for a picture also, thanks.
Old 02-11-2004, 01:37 PM
92 SE-R 02 SE

Just passed inspection.

can you post your inspection slip? im curious to see the CO #'s..

Old 02-11-2004, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by 92 SE-R 02 SE
can you post your inspection slip? im curious to see the CO #'s..
They didn't give me one. I dropped it off for inspection (after warming it up for about 15 minutes) and when I picked it up 2 hrs later it was proudly displaying a new inspection sticker.
Old 02-11-2004, 02:28 PM
92 SE-R 02 SE

They didn't give me one. I dropped it off for inspection (after warming it up for about 15 minutes) and when I picked it up 2 hrs later it was proudly displaying a new inspection sticker.
hmm..ur an 03..maybe it was a safety inspection only? thats what they do on cars that are only 1 yr old....

Old 02-11-2004, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by 92 SE-R 02 SE
hmm..ur an 03..maybe it was a safety inspection only? thats what they do on cars that are only 1 yr old....
You could be right. I'm not sure what the inspection entails. It is a NY inspection on an 03 vehicle. Are you sure their is no sniff test for me?
Old 02-11-2004, 02:44 PM

You could be right. I'm not sure what the inspection entails. It is a NY inspection on an 03 vehicle. Are you sure their is no sniff test for me?
No sniff test for u...Next year u'll get it.

Inspection should of only cost ya 12 bucks.
Old 02-11-2004, 02:48 PM

Look at the sticker. If its blue and has a date written across it, thats the emissions test. If its a reddish colored sticker, its just the safey inspection. My car is due for emissions this yr.
Old 02-11-2004, 03:19 PM

are you an auto or stick?
Old 02-11-2004, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by MacAlert
Look at the sticker. If its blue and has a date written across it, thats the emissions test. If its a reddish colored sticker, its just the safey inspection. My car is due for emissions this yr.
It's a green sticker with the year 2005 on it and the month February punched out. It cost $10. I'm an auto.
Old 02-11-2004, 03:56 PM

You got just the safety inspection. I guess they changed the color.
Old 02-11-2004, 05:54 PM

next time your car is idling, go sniff the exhaust (just a little sniff) and lemme know how much it stinks. Mine got a little stench to it after I put on my straight pipe, but i'd like to know what the difference is with the two pre-cats removed as well. Thanks!
Old 02-11-2004, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by bigdo26
next time your car is idling, go sniff the exhaust (just a little sniff) and lemme know how much it stinks. Mine got a little stench to it after I put on my straight pipe, but i'd like to know what the difference is with the two pre-cats removed as well. Thanks!

Well the two precats are now gone but I put the main cat back on. I won't sniff my exhaust but if you still insist on knowing what it smells like I'll have my wife do it and I'll report her findings.
Old 02-11-2004, 07:11 PM

Well the two precats are now gone but I put the main cat back on. I won't sniff my exhaust but if you still insist on knowing what it smells like I'll have my wife do it and I'll report her findings.
tryin to get rid of the wife or somethin??
Old 02-12-2004, 07:01 PM
Eat Naaawwwzzzzz

dyno
dyno
dyno
Old 02-13-2004, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by KiLLeR2002se
dyno
dyno
dyno
It's going to be about 2 weeks before I could dyno. I'm going to the same place that juice got his done at in NJ. I'm surprised we haven't heard any word on dyno results from Southwest Autoworks. I know they had planned on installing and dynoing right away.
Old 02-13-2004, 05:57 AM

So, has the cel some on yet? Is the power more noticeable yet?
Old 02-13-2004, 06:53 AM
Eat Naaawwwzzzzz

kool, keep us posted!
Old 02-13-2004, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by MAXINXS
So, has the cel some on yet? Is the power more noticeable yet?

No check engine light yet but sometimes it takes time for it to happen. The power feels good but I don't want to make predictions.
Old 02-13-2004, 06:08 PM
VQ Wizard

Man Im itching to get mine installed but I have so much other stuff to do also its hard to find the time/help needed for this project. I'm assuming there wasn't any fittment issues which sounds great

Put down the crackpipe. The help isn't the holdup. You need to get your tranny replaced first.
Old 02-13-2004, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by SR20DEN
Put down the crackpipe. The help isn't the holdup. You need to get your tranny replaced first.

Haven't seen you post in a while. Do you have any input on the location of my o2 sensors? Also what happened with the Cattman headers?
Old 02-13-2004, 09:10 PM
VQ Wizard

I think the secondary O2s need to be exactly where Hotshot says which is behind the main cat.

The Cattman headers still work just fine but I stil have no dyno chart nor have I welded bungs for my secondaries. I will probably work on that sometime after I solve my clutch dilemma.
Old 02-13-2004, 10:10 PM
Blu
the tits

Originally Posted by SR20DEN
nitrous off, headers on, tranny replaced, dyno, ecu sent off, but first get sober I got to work at 7 argh!!!
Old 02-14-2004, 05:07 AM

nitrous off, headers on, tranny replaced, dyno, ecu sent off, but first get sober I got to work at 7 argh!!!
what was wrong with your tranny, you are auto right? what did you replace it with? thanks

Quick Reply: Hotshot Headers Installed