5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Help..I was told i need a new transmission

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2004, 06:30 AM

Help..I was told i need a new transmission

The nissan stealership told me that i would need a new transmission b/c my bearing for first gear were completely shot and the one's for second were getting that way as well. I found a place in phoenix that has rebuilt transmission for something like $900 plus shipping. The also want my old transmission for the core. if not it is an extra $350. DaveB said he could get me a brand new one for $1800. what should i do.
Old 02-11-2004, 07:02 AM

come on guys i need your help. I want to order this within the next hour or so
Old 02-11-2004, 07:06 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

From my experience rebuilt trannys can be of sketchy quality - Is any warranty provided? I can say DaveB has an excellent reputation on the org.
Old 02-11-2004, 07:17 AM

i guess the tranny is actually remanufactured and has a 1 year 12000 mile warranty on it.
Old 02-11-2004, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Luquire
I found a place in phoenix that has rebuilt transmission for something like $900 plus shipping. The also want my old transmission for the core. if not it is an extra $350.

Do be careful if it's the shop that sells on Ebay. Several people here have been screwed by them. Do a search on dealership/shop experience section.
Old 02-11-2004, 11:52 AM

if you care about your car. and are gonna keep it for more than 2 years and your gonna be playful with it. get a new one.
Old 02-11-2004, 12:09 PM

I have decided to get it fixed by a shop that Daveb recommended to me in austin. I am getting nothing but OEM parts from Daveb installed. i dont think it will be that expensive.
Old 02-11-2004, 05:47 PM

Luquire, how many miles do you have on your car? Curious because I just had the tranny in my 2k replaced (extended warranty) at 75k miles.
Old 02-11-2004, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Eenis
Luquire, how many miles do you have on your car? Curious because I just had the tranny in my 2k replaced (extended warranty) at 75k miles.

Hey man, you are just a couple miles from me, I live near 92 and Sandy Plains. Were you replacing and auto or a stick? and if it was a stick, what kind of problems were you having? Noises, etc. I have a bit of a whine in some gears at certain RPMs which I need to record accurately.

Did Regal do the work?

Thanks
Old 02-11-2004, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by PhatMax
Hey man, you are just a couple miles from me, I live near 92 and Sandy Plains. Were you replacing and auto or a stick? and if it was a stick, what kind of problems were you having? Noises, etc. I have a bit of a whine in some gears at certain RPMs which I need to record accurately.

Did Regal do the work?

Thanks
You're right up the street...I'm at 92 and King Road. I drive a 5spd. The noise was a wurbling type sound between about 1k-3k rpm, and a whine after that. I got the noise in first and second gear, and could get the noise in 3rd if I was really on the gas. At 3k it would switch to a whining noise, which would taper off as the RPM climbed. I didn't have any problems shifting or getting the car into gear.......I just got the noise after the car was in gear as the RPM would climb.

The work was done at The Wright Import Service Center in Cumming. They're cool people, reasonably priced, and I have no complaints, except for the hike up there. Their number is 770-888-0100.
Old 02-11-2004, 09:13 PM

that sound exactly like the problems i am having. and i have 62,000 mile. i am going to write nissan and complain b/c i had brought this to the attention of the dealership that fixed my wheel bearings problem and they said it was nothing. I am going to write nissan north america and complain.
Old 02-12-2004, 05:43 AM

You're right up the street...I'm at 92 and King Road. I drive a 5spd. The noise was a wurbling type sound between about 1k-3k rpm, and a whine after that. I got the noise in first and second gear, and could get the noise in 3rd if I was really on the gas. At 3k it would switch to a whining noise, which would taper off as the RPM climbed. I didn't have any problems shifting or getting the car into gear.......I just got the noise after the car was in gear as the RPM would climb.

The work was done at The Wright Import Service Center in Cumming. They're cool people, reasonably priced, and I have no complaints, except for the hike up there. Their number is 770-888-0100.

That is it, what did they say the actual problem/damage was to the tranny? I would like to be able to go to Nissan and just get them to replace the tranny without having to go into hours or days of "I don't hear that" .
And it was under your extended? I have the 100k and I am at 56k.
Old 02-12-2004, 06:13 AM

Yeah, it was under my extended, and as such they handled the negotiation with my ext. warranty company. I'm sure the ext. warranty folks have a record of it, so I'll call them and ask.
Old 02-12-2004, 07:05 AM

I don't know about a "wurbling" sound, but I occasionally hear a "whining" noise from my 2000 SE 5-speed when it's really cold out... don't hear it after it's warmed up. I'm using Redline MT-90 in the tranny and Mobil 1 5W-30 SuperSyn in the motor.
Old 02-12-2004, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by spirilis
I don't know about a "wurbling" sound, but I occasionally hear a "whining" noise from my 2000 SE 5-speed when it's really cold out... don't hear it after it's warmed up. I'm using Redline MT-90 in the tranny and Mobil 1 5W-30 SuperSyn in the motor.

I think I am mistaken!!! I was driving just a little while ago and the whine noise starts around 3200 and ends around 3800. I did it at a traffic light, while rolling with the clutch out and while rolling with the clutch in. It can't be the tranny if it is in Neutral or clutched and still happening.

Any other ideas on almost an electrical whirrrrrrrr noise from the engine bay?
Old 02-12-2004, 11:48 AM

Diagnosis

I pulled my service records out of the car. They guy at Regal first told me that my bearings and seals needed to be replaced (said it'd be $400 in parts alone). When I took it to Wright Import they reaffirmed what Regal said and told me that the teeth in the gears were chewed up.

Spread the fingers out on your hands and then put your hands together so they look like interlocking gears. Now pull your hands apart so that rather than the "gears" fitting snug, you now have just the first joint in your fingers entering the gaps instead of your entire finger. That's essentially what happened to the transmission.