5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

'01 AE Need Rim/Tire Advice - HAD MINE STOLEN

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2001, 10:34 PM

This is unbelievable. Less than two weeks after I bought my car, my rims/tires were stolen by a tow truck yard.
Last Saturday night, I parked in Boston next to an apartment building, just off the street, not seeing the "Private Driveway" sign in the dark. The next morning, I go out and my brand-new Max was gone! I flipped out and called Boston Tow Yard, but of course they're closed on Sunday. So I sit around for a few hours, thinking I can't get my car until Monday morning, when I go back to where my car was parked and see the realtor's phone number on the side of the building and their warning sign to unauthorized parked cars. I call the realtor and their answering service tells me to call the tow yard they contract with. I call the tow yard, "Area Towing Service", in Jamaica Plain. They have my car and I went to pick it up. I have to take a cab to the yard, and as I pay the cab driver, I'm looking around for my car. I see a car that looks like mine but it's different. I started to get a feeling of dread inside. I went inside the office and paid the towing fee, then I'm told I can go get my car, so I go outside, and guess what, that Max I saw with POS rims and tires on it was mine! Those !!@%^&#! stole my factory 17" rims and put on the ugliest things I'd ever seen. They even put the two rear rims on the wrong sides of the car, and lost one lug nut from a rear wheel. I called the police and filed a report, but no one would admit to anything, and the police couldn't do anything when they arrived. I may take the tow yard to small claims court. The Nissan dealer charges $3200+ for 4 replacement rims/tires (225/50-17VR Bridgestone Potenza RE92), so I'm thinking about buying aftermarket rims and tires and saving a lot of money. In hindsight, I should've gotten a set or two of locking lug nuts, which the Nissan dealer didn't mention to me. Those might not have prevented the theft anyway. Sorry for the long story that has been my nightmare.
What rims and tires do you recommend? Besides appearance and correct size of rims, what factors should affect my choice? I've been to tirerack.com to shop around. Is a Michelin Pilot XGT Z4 tire substantially better than a Bridgestone Potenza RE92?
Old 03-09-2001, 11:37 PM

go with

18x8.0 with a 40mm offset with 235/40 or 245/40 tires, the best brands are the lightest and strongest the style is up to you, I personally like the way 3pc rims look. but you can't go wrong with BBS, Racing Hart, Volk, Advan, OZ and others..... but Pleeeeeeease DON'T get Knock-Off's you'll regret it, and they will never look as good.
Old 03-10-2001, 06:17 AM

ha... knock offs.
Old 03-10-2001, 07:52 AM

I'd do 17x8s personally.. 18s are a little much for me. You can always buy the 17" stockers from someone with tires for a little under a grand.
Old 03-10-2001, 07:09 PM

I found out

the rims that are on my car now are from an Infiniti J30. That car was sold only from 1993 to 1997. They take 215/60HR15 tires. So, there might be a J30 driving around with my AE 17" rims on it! Any suggestions on what to do with these rims after I get replacements?
Old 03-11-2001, 09:04 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Damn, that sucks!!!

However, your insurance MUST pay you the $3200 for the stock rims and you can buy much BETTER rims and a few sets of tires for that much cash. So, it's not all that bad.
Old 03-11-2001, 08:56 PM

That really sux....

**BUT**
As long as you have a police report, you shouldn't have a problem getting the money from your insurance company **in theory**

(minus comprehensive, I believe)...

-Tom
Old 03-12-2001, 06:08 PM
jtred1

That sucks! I have a 2001 SE/AE; I feel for ya. I thought NY was bad. If you have compreshensive auto insurance you can file a claim with your insurance company. You should get back the full ammount - your deductable. If the towing yard had care, custody & control of your Maxima they maybe legally liable for your loss. It is called bailee exposure. Your insurance company will pay you and go after the tow yard for the money. Ask you insurance company to be sure. Ever state is slightly differnt.
For the money Nissan wants you can get forged or semi-forged rims. They are light and strong. 17x8 and Dunlop SP5000s and you won't miss your stock rims anymore.
GOOD LUCK

Old 03-12-2001, 06:29 PM

how did they get your car. i thought all new maxima's have a chip for the key. i forgrt ehat the system is called. how the hell did they do it
Old 03-12-2001, 06:32 PM

My suggestion would be to bite the bullet and get the 17's from the dealer, but whatever you do, do not get the OEM bridgstones. I have never been so dissapointed with tires in my life. my old saab with 205/55ZR 15's handled way better than these tires. I will never buy a potenza re92 again in my life unless i was putting it on a van.
Old 03-12-2001, 08:05 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by TAGURIT
how did they get your car. i thought all new maxima's have a chip for the key. i forgrt ehat the system is called. how the hell did they do it
Itz called the imobilizer system. It only prevents the car from starting, but it does not prevent it from being towed.
Man, I greatly feel your pain. I have chrome rims on my car, and I'd beat the -beep- out of anyone who takes them, even if they are not directly responsible. Definitly try to get money out of the tow yard. I'd fight hard, cuz you shouldn't have to pay a single cent (aka deductable). If you have to settle this through your insurance, make the tow yard pay the deductable. I understand if you park your car in a dangerous place and get something stolen, but if the car is in their hands, they better take good care of it.
Old 03-12-2001, 08:11 PM

yeah, if you have a manual, they can always just stick it in neutral and lift up one end...if you have an auto there is a little "shift lock" button to the top left of the silver piece (the one that says P, R, N, D, 2, 1) you can take off the silver cover of that and push the black part in with any object and put the car in gear...they should have made it so you can only use the key to use that...if you are worried about getting towed, you can always lock your steering wheel over to the side (they aren't about to tow me...they need a flatbed and lots of time)
Old 03-12-2001, 08:59 PM

If the insurance company is going to pay you the full amount, and if you can get the tow yard to help your cause, then I would go ahead and get the OEM rims, with aftermarket tires. I kinda like the AE rims, IMO, so I would just go with what was originally supposssed to be on the car...but 3200 is expensive.