5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Cylinder #5 missfire. What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2004, 07:11 PM

Cylinder #5 missfire. What to do?

Turned the car on today, it started to shake and SES light came on. It got better after a while, but the light is still on. PO305 is the code that came up twice.
So question. How the hell did it happen? What is the cause for that? And what would be the fix?

THanks in advance.

PS. I don't drive hard, always use the same gas, 91 octane. Warm up my car. I am lost.
Old 02-17-2004, 07:12 PM
350 Detroit Muscle

does that code mean that your #5 cylinder is misfiring?
Old 02-17-2004, 07:19 PM

Yes. Thats what came up and that's what this code means.
Old 02-17-2004, 07:50 PM
350 Detroit Muscle

maybe you can do a compression test on #5 cylinder?
Old 02-17-2004, 08:57 PM
† ErV †

ignition coils

Old 02-18-2004, 09:48 AM

Hey, thank you for the reply. I started the car this morning, its not shaking anymore, but the light is still there. Car feels fine. Weird.
Old 02-18-2004, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by MaxSerg
Hey, thank you for the reply. I started the car this morning, its not shaking anymore, but the light is still there. Car feels fine. Weird.
Definetely the ignition coils. Replace ASAP. Check forum for related posts where it has been discussed in details.
Old 02-18-2004, 11:10 AM

I am unable to search. Do you have a link to the discussion pls? And how much do they cost? Should I replace all of them at once, or just one?

The car feels fine now, so may be its not the ignition coil? And if it was coil, I think my car would still be shaking like crazy.

Thnks for rplys.
Old 02-18-2004, 11:23 AM

I am unable to search. Do you have a link to the discussion pls? And how much do they cost? Should I replace all of them at once, or just one?

The car feels fine now, so may be its not the ignition coil? And if it was coil, I think my car would still be shaking like crazy.

Thnks for rplys.
Ok,

Failing ignitiol coils is a known and common problem on 2000 models. I am a victim as well, mine failed several month ago when I had 44K miles.

Common symptoms are: sluggishness, poor performance, weird noises from engine bay when accelerating, but especially the car shakes and you notice it. Thats because the cylinders misfire, the coils do not give at all or enough voltage and the cylinders are out of balance.

The code for it is commonly P1320, the TSB is described here http://maxima.theowensfamily.com/tsb/NTB01-059.pdf.

There are ways to test if the coils and which ones exactly with an ohm meter. But other coils will eventually fail as well. Recommended to replace all six all at once.

Order them from Dave Burnette at South Point Nissan, his number is 888-254-6060. Approx $310 shipped.

Save yourself money and install them yourself, not to difficult, instructions described here www.nissanx.net/tanman.

Good luck.
Old 02-18-2004, 07:21 PM

Thank you for the response, but you know what another wird thing is. .... When I started this car after work the light was still there, when I got close to my house it went out. And I wouldn't say that my car is sluggish, or there is a poor performance. I am not sure that its the coils, but will keep that in mind, so if it happens again, I'll change them immediately. For now I'll dump some fuel system cleaner there, and see if it what happens. Once again. Thank you.
Old 02-19-2004, 12:01 AM

Thank you for the response, but you know what another wird thing is. .... When I started this car after work the light was still there, when I got close to my house it went out. And I wouldn't say that my car is sluggish, or there is a poor performance. I am not sure that its the coils, but will keep that in mind, so if it happens again, I'll change them immediately. For now I'll dump some fuel system cleaner there, and see if it what happens. Once again. Thank you.
The same thing happened to me too and the car seemingly "repaired" itself. I was wondering, are the coils functioning normally intermittantly in my car or are they working now at a subpar level? I don't know if I should replace the coils when I'm planning to get a G35 in about couple of months. Thanks for your help.
Old 02-19-2004, 12:43 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

It's not necessary to replace all 6. The shaking is only very bad if the coil isnt firing at all, and the engine feels like its missing a pulse. Easiest way to check this, is to leave the engine running, and unplug the harness part that plugs into the coil, one at a time. If there is a change in idle that means the coil is working fine, if there is no change, that means you found your bad coil. Otherwise, just go with the cylinder that the engine code was for. Buy 1 coil and replace it, if thats the only problem it should run fine. You could use a multimeter to measure the resistance across each coilpack, but this method is a LOT HARDER than people will let on, its not like getting the resistance across a fuel injector.

TK