5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

hardwiring radar detector

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 08:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

hardwiring radar detector

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]
this may be a stupid question, but i just got my max and i dont wont to screw up anything when im trying to hardwire my radar detector. there was a link on here how to do it but the link didnt work. i was just wonderin if somebody knew another link to directions on how to do this. i appreciate it greatly. thanks.
Old 02-18-2004, 10:35 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

I want this too.....I know a few guys have it done.
Old 02-18-2004, 11:57 PM
Eat Naaawwwzzzzz

the type of detector would help...
you could buy hardwire kits,
but if you want, you can splice into your cig lighter. cut the end off and connect the positive to a 12v ignition source and ground the black.
Old 02-19-2004, 12:44 AM

I was wondering too. Does anyone have the writeup for how to hardwire it to the rearview mirror?
Old 02-19-2004, 03:26 AM
CCx

Mine's hardwired to a fuse in my fusebox that turns on when the car's on and off when it's off (I just woke up literally 12 seconds ago so I can't remember which fuse it was) - wire is run under the headliner, down the a pillar and right into the fuse box...very cleeeeean
Old 02-19-2004, 04:26 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

yea...for the hardwire to the fuse box you really don't need a write up. it is very easy.

i took an extra long cord (the cigarette lighter plug in thingy), cut off the cigarette plug connection from the wire.

strip the wire. you will have 2 ends (positive and a negative wire). open your fuse box. get out your manual or fuse location diagram. find a fuse that comes on when you turn on/off your ignition. like the radio for example (i think that is the one i used). pull the fuse out. wrap the positive wire around one of the fuse prongs. stick it back in. above all the fuses you should see some screws. run the negative part of the wire over to one of them. remove the screw. wrap the neg wire around it. reinsert. now you have powered and grounded the detector. it will come on when you turn on the car and off when you turn off.

run the wire where ever you want. mine is on top of my dash. could also do up near your rear view mirror. fish the wire up around or though the dash above the fuse box.

if you want it on top of the dash, just fish the wire between the window and dash to your destination.

if you want to go up to the rearview, remove the piller cover (the plastic molding along the front drivers side door area). run the wire up it and replace the plastic cover. fish under the front edge of the headliner.

very, very easy and worth it! took only a few minutes.
Old 02-19-2004, 06:00 AM

I also hardwired my radar detector. I installed a BEL 940. I followed these instructions;

http://2k2maxima.freewebspace.com/catalog.html
Old 02-19-2004, 08:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

thanks everybody. i think i will run it into the auto dimming mirror that looks the easiest to me. thanks for all the help.
Old 02-20-2004, 12:15 AM

Actually, this procedure is quite easy. I hardwired by Valentine One two weekends ago -- it sits way up out of view above the rear view mirror, and I have the concealed display unit right in between my speedometer and tachometer. I meant to take pictures of the process, but it's pretty much fool proof.

Here's the basics:

#1: Remove the plastic dash piece underneath the steering wheel. There are two Philips screws up underneath there that are pretty obvious. Remove those and this piece slides right out, and the fuse panel is exposed just to the left of the steering column. Disconnect the two small wiring harnesses for the Heated Steering wheel and Memory Seats (if applicable) so you can remove the entire piece.

#2: using a flat-head screwdriver and a rag, pry off the driver's side A-pillar. With some persuasion, it comes right off if you pop it down and towards the right.

#3: open your sunglass holder and remove the two philips screws up in there. once removed, the entire plastic piece containing the sunglass holder, moonroof controls, and map lights comes off the ceiling. You can remove the wiring harnesses, or you can do what I did and just left it carefully dangling.

Once youve done that, you can pretty much see where you need to fish your wires. I mounted my radar detector up above my rear view mirror, and I fished the wire (which is standard RJ-11 phone cord, in the case of the Valentine One) through the headliner with a straightened out coat hanger and pulled it over near the A-pillar.

I used some zip-ties to secure the power wire to an existing wire bundle running down the length of the A-pillar, I tucked the wire in behind the weather molding inside the door jamb, and behind the dash panel where the fuse panel is.

From there, just unscrew one of the screws up in there thats making contact with metal to use as an Earthing point, and select a fuse to use as your +12V. Personally, I didnt use a fuse, but I tapped into a wire that's in the massive wire-bundle running out from behind the fuse-panel. There's a White and Blue wire -- this is ACC power, I had a 3M 10-12guage wiretap that I just crimped onto the wire and plugged in my +5V spade plug.

Then you just zip-tie up all your wires, tuck them away nicely, and put things back together.

Shouldnt be more than an hour job, if you've never so much as touched a screwdriver before in your life.

I wish I had pics -- I'll be better in the future, I swear.

-db.