5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

I finally found one!!! Need help

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2004, 12:55 PM

I finally found one!!! Need help

I found a 00 Maxima SE with all options except for some reason it has the 16" 5 spokes (chance for future upgrade). It is a 5sp and has 83,000 miles on it. It is black with tan interior. I drove this car and it checks out fine, carfax is clear. I can buy this car for $9,000. First question do you all think this is a good deal?? I think it is.

Ok my question is the miles are up there now and I was wondering what problems or services might develop or need to be performed.

Here is the history: Original owner had it to 60k, Nissan dealer got it at auction and sold it to this individual. You never know what that dealer actually did to it to turn around and resell it. I think I have read on here that there is a 60k service what is the chance it was performed by the dealer at this time. The current owner hasn't done anything to it in the year and a half he has had it other then oil changes. So assuming nothing got performed on it in the past what am I looking at service wise needing done?? Also can a dealer run the VIN and give me a list off everything done at a Nissan dealer??

Next, what type of problems can I expect from this car from here out. Right now the blower fan has a noise to it untill it speeds up and balances out. Not a big deal because I listen to the radio, but is that a sign it is ready to give out? Anyone have problems with this.

I am looking forward to becoming a Maxima owner and greatly appreciate all the help I get from this site. I will be a regular on here when I get one. I am just trying to gauge what I am dealing with as soon as I get the car and unexpected problems I might encounter. Oh, yeah how long does the clutch last on these and what does it cost to replace it. I know I am looking at tires and brakes in the near future as well so that is covered. As always, thanks for your help
Old 02-21-2004, 02:05 PM
scopium

i recommend u changing all the belts... transmission flush....

if you drive agressively your rotors are gonna warp really soon.. so watch out for those

other than that there shouldnt be anyproblem if you dont kill your car...
check your clutch too

Old 02-21-2004, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by scopium
i recommend u changing all the belts... transmission flush....

if you drive agressively your rotors are gonna warp really soon.. so watch out for those

other than that there shouldnt be anyproblem if you dont kill your car...
check your clutch too

Come on people you own them!!
Old 02-21-2004, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by oakes57
Come on people you own them!!
Transmission fluid flush.
Belts.
Are tires ok?
Check brakes, rotors and pads.
Ignition coils fail on 2000 models, but genereally somewhere before 50k mile range.
Change air filter, or replace with Pop Charger.
Check all fluids, coolant.
Spark plugs? Get NGK Platinums.
Clean fuel injector.
Old 02-21-2004, 07:41 PM

very important. make sure the tires are wearing evenly. if not there might have been an accident which was not reported to carfax or the police.
Old 02-22-2004, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by mikeI302k
very important. make sure the tires are wearing evenly. if not there might have been an accident which was not reported to carfax or the police.
TTT, I was hoping for a little bit more information
Old 02-22-2004, 03:03 PM

there aren't too many posts cuz there aren't that many problems. aside from the aforementioned rotors and ignition coils, there isn't much else that will give you problems. only thing i can think of is the MAF sensor, but that would have gone out by now.
get the whole thing flushed (tranny, engine oil, coolant...) and you should be good for a while.