5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

SES light- O2 sensor

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 04:54 PM

SES light-

Thanks for any input...

I purchased a 2001 GLE used in Nov. with 36,XXX miles. Just turned 40,800 and SES light came on. Took it to Autozone and he pulled the code- P0420. In his little book it said it was the O2 sensor. I would like to make sure this is correct info for that code? He also looked up all the O2 sensors and Autozone doesn't carry them...so I would need to buy them from the dealer? or someplace online?

I do have an extended war. but there is a $100 deducible. I think I can replace the O2 sensors cheaper than this...or am I wrong?

Looking at the diagram of the Cat. they all some what accessible...and look pretty easy to change...is this correct? Should I just replace all 4 of them to be safe?

Thanks again for any and all help or ideas...
Old 02-23-2004, 04:58 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by husker_max
Thanks for any input...

I purchased a 2001 GLE used in Nov. with 36,XXX miles. Just turned 40,800 and SES light came on. Took it to Autozone and he pulled the code- P0420. In his little book it said it was the O2 sensor. I would like to make sure this is correct info for that code? He also looked up all the O2 sensors and Autozone doesn't carry them...so I would need to buy them from the dealer? or someplace online?

I do have an extended war. but there is a $100 deducible. I think I can replace the O2 sensors cheaper than this...or am I wrong?

Looking at the diagram of the Cat. they all some what accessible...and look pretty easy to change...is this correct? Should I just replace all 4 of them to be safe?

Thanks again for any and all help or ideas...
His little book is wrong. Your ECU needs to be reprogrammed and the dealer should do it for free since you're under 80K miles.
See THIS URL for details.
Old 02-23-2004, 05:47 PM

I will go to a difference Autozone tomorrow and have them pull it. Just to make sure it pulls the same thing twice.

What is the 80K war. cover?

Thank you for your help DanL
Old 02-23-2004, 06:50 PM

I will go to a difference Autozone tomorrow and have them pull it. Just to make sure it pulls the same thing twice.

What is the 80K war. cover?

Thank you for your help DanL
ECU and catalyst system.
Old 02-23-2004, 07:30 PM

Thanks again
Old 02-24-2004, 07:20 AM

Ok, a new day, same story. I had the code read again to make sure it was correct. It was, P0420. This time the guy did tell me correctly that it is the Three Way Catalyst Fucntion.

So I go to my Nissan dealership, and ask IF they pull the same code then would this fall under the 96 mo./80,000 mile warranty that DanL told me about, and showed her the inside cover of my warranty manuel where it says Fed. Emission Long Term Defect...

She looks confused...asks for my VIN, types it into her little computer and prints this sheet off for me that shows "all applicable warranties for MY car" of which this Long Term...96/80,000 is NOT listed.

Is this...or was this an additional warranty that would have to have been added extra at the time of purchase?

So I then asked..."How much?" ...well it would be "$67.00 to pull the code, then IF that is what it was (the TSB I handed her...thanks for the link) then it would be another $67.00 to download the new Data P/N. But if that was not it $600-700 for a new catalytic converter."

Now my question is this...the extended warranty that I spoke of in my original post, is from the Toyota Dealership I bought the car from. The $100 deductible would be cheaper than even to have Nissan pull and download the new data...@ $134.
BUT CAN THE TOYOTA DEALERSHIP EVEN DO THIS? They don't CONSULT-II machines do they?

And IF my luck runs true, the $100 deductible would be better off for me than the $600-700 for the new catalytic converter.

ANY AND ALL HELP IS MUCH APPRECIATED! Thanks members....
Old 02-24-2004, 04:20 PM

Same thing happened to me. There is a TSB on the issue and it usually involves reprogramming the ECU which is free.

In my case, the dealer changed the catalytic converter under warranty. I don't know if it really needed it but I wasn't about to complain.

Definitely take it in to be checked out.
Old 02-24-2004, 04:47 PM

Ok, a new day, same story. I had the code read again to make sure it was correct. It was, P0420. This time the guy did tell me correctly that it is the Three Way Catalyst Fucntion.

So I go to my Nissan dealership, and ask IF they pull the same code then would this fall under the 96 mo./80,000 mile warranty that DanL told me about, and showed her the inside cover of my warranty manuel where it says Fed. Emission Long Term Defect...

She looks confused...asks for my VIN, types it into her little computer and prints this sheet off for me that shows "all applicable warranties for MY car" of which this Long Term...96/80,000 is NOT listed.

Is this...or was this an additional warranty that would have to have been added extra at the time of purchase?

So I then asked..."How much?" ...well it would be "$67.00 to pull the code, then IF that is what it was (the TSB I handed her...thanks for the link) then it would be another $67.00 to download the new Data P/N. But if that was not it $600-700 for a new catalytic converter."

Now my question is this...the extended warranty that I spoke of in my original post, is from the Toyota Dealership I bought the car from. The $100 deductible would be cheaper than even to have Nissan pull and download the new data...@ $134.
BUT CAN THE TOYOTA DEALERSHIP EVEN DO THIS? They don't CONSULT-II machines do they?

And IF my luck runs true, the $100 deductible would be better off for me than the $600-700 for the new catalytic converter.

ANY AND ALL HELP IS MUCH APPRECIATED! Thanks members....
Well, it is true the TSB applies to Cali emission vehicles, but programming the ECU and/or replacing catalyst system components (sans O2 sensors) is covered by the 8/80 emissions warranty. Either (a) mention to the service department that if they try to charge you for an ECU or catalyst system repair you'll notify both Nissan USA (800-647-7261) and the EPA (202-233-9040) or (B) try a different dealer.
Old 02-24-2004, 06:19 PM

Y'all are great! I love proving stupid people wrong.