5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

NJ sues Nissan over stolen headlights

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 06:46 PM

By the way... Although my town was not mentioned in the above listed post.... I know we have over 15, since I account for 2 myself, and know of at least 13 other owners who have been victimized (one guy 5 times alone before he traded the car in).

I believe NJ's reported numbers are VERY low, and many thefts go unreported to avoid raising insurance costs.
Old 03-08-2004, 07:02 PM
brotherhood of tq

i dont blame nissan for anything.. how would they know that people would steal them so much. people steal 4th gen bumper lights now but i only blame the thieves. Ohh and on the news i saw a report about this and this lady said that she is fed up wit nissans and now only drives infinitys???? i wonder if she knows they are the same company.
Old 03-08-2004, 07:20 PM

me living in NJ..i just hope i get money out of it

in my dreams
Old 03-08-2004, 07:49 PM

Whatever may be the outcome of this lawsuit, one thing is clear ... Nissan and other car makers should pay more attention in designing their cars. Look at the Ford Pinto with the exploding gas tank!!

It costs no more than $100 to put stronger brackets around the HIDs to make them more secure, but cheapening on the brackets has costed consumers thousands to fix their cars when their HIDs get stolen. I'm sure many of the 02-03 Max owners would be willing to spend $100 knowing that their cars' HIDs are safe when they bought the cars. It is penny wise and pound foolish of Nissan to put out a defective product. On second thought ... perhaps Nissan was smart in putting out a defective product knowing that it would profit from HID replacements. Pardon me for being cynical.
Old 03-08-2004, 08:13 PM

Nissan Is At FAULT!!!!

Nissan is at fault, I went in for the recall to get the anti theft kit and noticed they didn't even do it. they kept the car in the shop for about an hour and then gave it back to me. When I looked at it the bolts were still the same insteaqd of putting the hex screws in like they said they would do, also they put this Data Dots stickers on the lights and thats it. if Nissan would make a product like there other company Infiniti and make there Headlights solid not of plastic so it can be easily snapped off there wouldn't be a huge problem. Would anyone here lock there doors at home with plastic locks, I don't think so!!!!!! All they had to do is make the light brackets of some strong aluminum or titanium and they wouldn't be able to be ripped out so easily plain and simple!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by soonerfan
if they made the HIDs bad quality then no one would steal them...then someone would sue because their HIDs sucks!!!
GROW UP!!
and even if they did know the criminals were grimey....THAT ISNT THEIR FAULT OR PROBLEM
Old 03-08-2004, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by kenny
Whatever may be the outcome of this lawsuit, one thing is clear ... Nissan and other car makers should pay more attention in designing their cars. Look at the Ford Pinto with the exploding gas tank!!
Yeah, Ford really needs to start to fixing those things.
Old 03-08-2004, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by hct67
Nissan is at fault, I went in for the recall to get the anti theft kit and noticed they didn't even do it. they kept the car in the shop for about an hour and then gave it back to me. When I looked at it the bolts were still the same insteaqd of putting the hex screws in like they said they would do, also they put this Data Dots stickers on the lights and thats it. if Nissan would make a product like there other company Infiniti and make there Headlights solid not of plastic so it can be easily snapped off there wouldn't be a huge problem. Would anyone here lock there doors at home with plastic locks, I don't think so!!!!!! All they had to do is make the light brackets of some strong aluminum or titanium and they wouldn't be able to be ripped out so easily plain and simple!!!!!!!!
Are the I30's lights the same with only 2 plastic tabs on top to secure the lights?
Old 03-08-2004, 08:26 PM

Did I read SOUND OFFF!!!....

The whole argument DOES NOT HOLD WATER!!!...

The '02 Max was out in around June '01...Nissan's Data dots program was initiated November '03....HID thefts peaked in early '03...In my opinion, Nissan's response time to this issue "quick" so say the least...Could it have been quicker, maybe, maybe not, could the design have been better, maybe, maybe not...

Nissan, or for that matter, owners, are not forced to replace the HIDs with xenons. It sucks *** that some owners can't have xenons, but whose to blame???....

Proffiting....maybe, simple economics, YES...supply and demand....

There are options for '02/'03 Maxima owners. Garage your car if in a private house, opt for halogens, DataDots program, sell car, cry to get more police officers, or don't drive it...

Plastic tabs???....All car manufacturers bolt the headlights with plastic tabs...NEXT!!!!....

A month after I got my HIDs stolen, NYPD sent me a letter telling me that Maximas were at a higher risk for having the HIDs stolen, and gave some tips to try and prevent thefts...I guess the PD in NJ must've been busy twiddling their thumbs during all the thefts...

Getting my money back for having to pay for the "anti-theft" kit.....ummm let me speak with my insurance agent to see if I can get some of my "in-case-shi_-happens" money back....

How's about NJ sue Nissan for not foreseeing the future accurately :

Personally, I would be much more concerned with why insurance rates are so high in NJ, and what the funk the state is doing to bring rates down...
Old 03-08-2004, 08:26 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Lot of interesting arguments here.
1) "if a state sues, it has to have a valid reason"
If there is a state suing a gun manufacturer for making a gun that could be used to kill someone, then that's a false statement.
2) "Nissan should have warned me"
No, they could have, but had no obligation to.
3) "Nissan should have better secured the expensive lights to the car"
Probably, but will that win a lawsuit? Besides, if the redesign cost would have worked out to $25 per car, then in fairness, buyers each should have paid about $40 more, right?
4) "NJ should be sued for not adaquately policing"
If it were allowed, by all means, YES.
5) "One's property rights to protect one's home should carry over to one's car, and those rights should include using lethal force if breaking and entering occurs" That's my idea. Don't know if it would deter thieves, but maybe.
Old 03-08-2004, 10:15 PM

West Coast

Well take a look at the west coast then, they are starting to rip them off just like the east coast, its like a cd or song, it just takes some time to get to the other coast. The west coast will be next in the worries of Nissan and when they start getting ripped off the people of the west coast will be like , Damn wish I had done something to prevent it or Nissan should have done something.

Originally Posted by slammed95
I don't think Nissan is at all responsible for any of this . For some reason, it's pretty much just the East Coast that gets these jacked.
Nissan desgined some pretty nice headlights, it's not their fault that people steal them.

This lawsuit is absolutely rediculous. I always park my '02 with the front facing the street, never had a problem with anything.
Old 03-08-2004, 11:36 PM
tEh Hope

[QUOTE=spauldingsmails]Lot of interesting arguments here.
1) "if a state sues, it has to have a valid reason"
If there is a state suing a gun manufacturer for making a gun that could be used to kill someone, then that's a false statement.
QUOTE]

I think some of you are mis-reading the article. State is not suing Nissan because HID's got stolen. Nissan is being sued because they did not do enough to atleast warn their customers. They kept it quiet to profit off the repairs and replacement parts. Nissan took almost 1 year to warn its owners about incresing hid theft.

Think about it, Nissan could have just sent out a few thousand letters saying, "waddup. enjoyin' yo whip? yo, these punk @$$ b!tches are stealin yo hot @$$ hids in yo hood... so watch yo back bro'. Peace". Instead, they kept it hush-hush because each hid theft brought them $4000 worth of business!
Old 03-09-2004, 02:22 AM

Nissan could have came out with the datadots brackets when hid thefts became an issue instead of selling anti theft kits.
Old 03-09-2004, 03:20 AM

Nissan sucks a$$.
If I was going to put an expensive, $1300 HID system in any car, I would make sure that it would be secure. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out...Plastic brackets??? Give me break! (literally)
And then to have people buy the anti-theft kit, intead of giving it for free, for something Nissan fukked up on to begin with, is just not right
And another thing...Sure, you can say its not Nissans fault. "How is it their fault that they get stolen repeatedly and that they are popular on the street." "Nissan designed some pretty nice headlights, it's not their fault that people steal them." "How would they know that people would steal them so much"...
Of course it's their fault. We are talking about THE Nissan Corp. made up of thousands and thousands of intelligent engineers, designers, and intelligent corporate people. You always have to build for the unexpected. Don't they run test and demos to avoid not only this problem, but many other problems too? Where do these people live? In LaLa land, where nothing gets stolen and everyone is nice and friendly? Don't think so! I think these Nissan engineers could of done a better job, I mean, cheap plastic brackets??? Come on people!
My voice shall be heard!!!
PEACE
Old 03-09-2004, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by Maxxxed
Think about it, Nissan could have just sent out a few thousand letters saying, "waddup. enjoyin' yo whip? yo, these punk @$$ b!tches are stealin yo hot @$$ hids in yo hood... so watch yo back bro'. Peace". Instead, they kept it hush-hush because each hid theft brought them $4000 worth of business!
That $4000 figure would have to be for the complete repair for bodywork and replacement lights. Some people took their cars to independent body shops for repairs.
Old 03-09-2004, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by pablosal
My voice shall be heard!!!
PEACE
And I believe it has been.
Old 03-09-2004, 04:30 AM

Has anyone thought of the repercussions that take place because of these thefts? Tax dollars spent out the @ss. Imagine ten detectives working on cracking the HID theft case instead of fighting violent crimes? I think NJ is justified in suing Nissan. You owuld too if your headlights got stolen three times and your insurance dropped your @ss...
Old 03-09-2004, 05:04 AM
drag racing is for wussies

I think the price on the headlight assemblies for 02-03s is outrageous. I went to my dealer where I have a wholesale account with, and retail price (not mine) was over 1200 bux for both headlight HOUSINGs- meaning it was without the xenon igniter/inverter/ballast or bulbs. For bout 200 bux more both lights came with everything. I wanted just the housings- as I have my own Xenon ballasts and bulbs. I paid 90 bux each for my AE headlights. WTF is diff bout a headlight housing on a 02... why does it cost 4-5 times as much ? So they can make megga dough on repleacement stolen headlights.
Old 03-09-2004, 05:26 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I live in jersey live right in the middle of all these areas...in the past year, every other 02-03 maxima i have seen has had missing headlights and or missing grill. The victims of these thefts have every right to sue. Nissan did a terrible job of securing the lights and i cannot even park my car for more than 10min at a time on the street. On top of that, if i go somewhere at night and my headlights get stolen while im away from the car, how am i supposed to get home with no lights....Nissan should be sued without question, its ridiculous now.
Old 03-09-2004, 06:29 AM
Got Bent?

Keep it civil... if you wish to state your point, do so, but stay on topic... any flames or obvious off-topic posts will be deleted...
Old 03-09-2004, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by NizanDrivn
Did I read [SIZE=3][B]
There are options for '02/'03 Maxima owners. Garage your car if in a private house, opt for halogens, DataDots program, sell car, cry to get more police officers, or don't drive it...
listen, the HID feature of the Maxima was a very big factor in buying this car. Why should I go to halogens now just because of this theft? It's not fair to me and all the people who bought the car with HIDs in mind.
Old 03-09-2004, 06:35 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

What Nissan should do

They should send a letter to every Maxima owner with an offer to install the anti-theft kits. Althought i've read that the only thing the anti-theft kit does is make the thief damage your car a little more while taking out the HID's. Im just glad I dont live in the nyc/nj area.
Old 03-09-2004, 07:37 PM

GLE02NJ, I can relate....It was one of the reasons I too, got the Max instead of the Acura TL, price vs options, you get more bang from the Max....But then again, if I I would've gotten the Acura where would that have left me???....Up a creek without a paddle....They too suffer from the problem....The reason why you don't hear Acura owners griping so much is that, and I've said this before, they tend to NOT park their cars outside of their houses, or in metro areas. Whereas Maximas, because they don't carry the "clout" Acuras do, get parked outside, and are therefore more susceptible
to thefts....
Old 03-09-2004, 07:46 PM

NizanDrivn, are you saying that Maxima owners are poorer than TL owners, as you seem to say that Max owners cannot afford to buy houses to garage their cars. That is a very broad and inaccurate generalization. Perhaps, the HIDs in the Max are stolen more often because they are not as well designed (i.e. easier to steal) as the HIDs in the TL and that they fit nicely in the 2000 and 2001 Max.
Old 03-09-2004, 07:57 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Nissan screwed up in 2000 by making it so freaking easy to steal the headlights..

if someone is looking to ****** out your headlights, they can do it way too easily.. they should have thought about this before they even put HID in these cars in 2002...

I would also like to see the numbers for NYC...

because without exaggeration, 40% + of all 02/03s have 00/01 headlights installed.. out of the others that don't.. at least 50% of them have been robbed at least once.. I heard of people getting jacked up to 3 and 4 times..

****.. even my 2000 got robbed.. how sad is that?!

I am very ****ed at Nissan for making such a dumb mistake but I don't know if a lawsuit will do anything... i just hope they learned from their mistakes and will not make it so freakin easy to ****** out headlights..

it is true, anything can be stolen

but when you can steal something like headlights so easy.. it's pretty messed up.. and they had years to fix this problem from 1 model to the next and they didn't..
Old 03-09-2004, 08:20 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Finally.. Acura TL for one, went ahead and attempted to fix the problem by redesigning the headlights on the later years.
Nissans so called attempt at fixing the problem with this dumb data dots idea is pointless.. Do you think thieves know or care if there is a chance the headlights might have data dots? When HIDs are sold on the street, people buying them know they are stolen, they don't care.. they buy them for the bulbs and ballasts.. these parts cannot be checked for theft.. besides, what is this going to prove? Are Police officers going to start pulling over all maximas and check their data dots to see if they belong to their cars?

Like I said.. most theives probably don't know about this recall, and even if they do, they will still not stop trying to steal them. The HIDs have been stolen even after the service was done so it's not all that great. Even if they do something and slow down the thief.. it's likely the theif will get even more frustrated attempting to rip them out and f-ck up your hood and fenders in the process.. which means you need new headlights and extensive body work.... so there will still be attempts on stealing the HIDs...

this recall was done just to calm down the owners a little bit.. but it really fixes nothing...

i personally rather have my headlights stolen than the theif struggling to get them out and bending up my hood and fenders in the process.. which means i need to drop a ton more $ on top of the headlights and risk ****ty body work...

02/03 Maximas are selling really cheap at wholesale auctions in the tri-state region.. and there is a whole big selection... no one wants them.
Old 03-09-2004, 08:34 PM

kenny, you're reading into my statment to much...Its just a fact....NOTHING to do with money....drive around queens, brooklyn, the bronx, manhattan, LI, SI, go into NJ....Count how many Maximas and Acuras in the selected area...Maximas take the cake, thats why we have a higher HID theft index...

The Max is Nissans flagship car, the most popular Nissan of the bunch...
Old 03-10-2004, 04:26 AM

I read today that the NJ Attorney General wants Nissan to reimburse its customers for all expenses related to the headlight thefts (anti-theft kits, deductibles... etc.).

What happens if NJ wins? Will the insurance companies go after Nissan as well? Will this set a precedence for the insurance industry to go after the manufacturer for claims of thefts of their products?

I'm sure this case is going to be closely followed by both auto manufacturers and the insurance industry... There could be a lot of money involved if NJ wins this case. It could change the world of manufacturing forever....
Old 03-10-2004, 05:25 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by liqidvenom
i dont blame nissan for anything.. how would they know that people would steal them so much. people steal 4th gen bumper lights now but i only blame the thieves. Ohh and on the news i saw a report about this and this lady said that she is fed up wit nissans and now only drives infinitys???? i wonder if she knows they are the same company.
Do not make that comparison, I have never met or talked to somebody that has had any problems at a infiniti dealership. Service was always top notch, courteous, and the warranty is another year and 12000 miles, and they ALWAYS provide you with a loaner car while your car is in the shop. Nissan may be the parent company, but infiniti provides the nissan performance with 1000% better service.
Old 03-10-2004, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by number2jcb
Do not make that comparison, I have never met or talked to somebody that has had any problems at a infiniti dealership. Service was always top notch, courteous, and the warranty is another year and 12000 miles, and they ALWAYS provide you with a loaner car while your car is in the shop. Nissan may be the parent company, but infiniti provides the nissan performance with 1000% better service.
Are the HIDs in the Infiniti mounted the same way as the Max? If so, they are subject to the same fate.
Old 03-12-2004, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Quidproquo
I read today that the NJ Attorney General wants Nissan to reimburse its customers for all expenses related to the headlight thefts (anti-theft kits, deductibles... etc.).

What happens if NJ wins? Will the insurance companies go after Nissan as well? Will this set a precedence for the insurance industry to go after the manufacturer for claims of thefts of their products?

I'm sure this case is going to be closely followed by both auto manufacturers and the insurance industry... There could be a lot of money involved if NJ wins this case. It could change the world of manufacturing forever....
It should change manufacturing forever... I'd rather pay more and get a better designed product, that's just my take. If NJ wins, I'm sure the insurance companies will go after Nissan as well, and that could carry an even heavier price tag. If you left your door open to your house when you went on vacation and you ended up getting robbed, its partially your fault. It may be the robber who went in your house, but if you locked your door, it takes him longer to get in which would stop him from trying to some extent. So with the 1500 headlights we have on our cars, why would you mount them with sh**y plastic? This incident will just be chalked up to experience, but hell, someone's gotta pay for it... Nissan in this case.
Old 03-12-2004, 02:31 PM
I miss the .org!

Very interesting news...
Old 03-12-2004, 07:04 PM

Well, it could be the insurance companies that are urging the attorney general to take action, knowing how powerful they are in their lobbying efforts.

This reminds me of the lawsuits against the big tobacco companies. When some of the states joined efforts and got a huge settlement, the insurance companies wanted a piece too, saying that many of their insureds got sick from smoking and required medical treatment.
Old 03-12-2004, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by slammed95
I always park my '02 with the front facing the street, never had a problem with anything.
It's because you don't live in NY or NJ. Luckily HID theft isn't a problem here (yet), knock on wood.

I think if you lived in NY and NJ and got your HIDs stolen multiple times, had your insurance go up, had to pay your insurance deductible, and be unable to drive home at night due to stolen lights, you'd be hopping mad.
Old 03-13-2004, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by BiggD23
soonerfan...I agree with you to a certain degree. But my main problem is the ease at which these HIDs are able to be stolen. No thought whatsoever was put into securing these $1,500 lights when designing the car. That is where the fault lies with Nissan. My $.02.
I agree, Nissan is at fault. The entire front end was redone for 2002 and yet the headlights were designed to be easily stolen. Think about it. Nissan designed the 02 headlight to purposly fit 2000 & 2001 maximas so Previuos Max owners could retro fit these new lamps into that car. That spells sales for aftermarket headlights for Nissan. $ talks. Otherwise the front end redesign would have encorporated a new headlight shape/design that was all it's own and not be able to go into a 200-01 model year max. Think about it. It was a bad business decision on Nissan's behalf.

Then they turn around and offer a kit for the 02-03 to make them harder to steal and then charge for the installation. Hmmm I can't understand why anyone would be on Nissan's side on this matter. Unless that individual is making profit on this scheme.
Old 03-13-2004, 09:43 AM

With all these thefts, where are the cops at? I see plenty of people getting speeding tickets, and traffic violations. But there are no leads to where these 700+ HIDs could be going? Nissan should reimburse them all ? Minus well just sell the cars without headlights and offer a Nismo headlight option...
Old 03-13-2004, 09:45 AM

You folks may want to visit Edmunds -- Maxima to see a lively debate on whether Nissan should be liable. I hope this does not violate this forum's policy when I talk about another forum :-)
Old 08-06-2007, 09:07 PM

wow another thief gets away. HIDs cost $100 on ebay
why are they still getting stolen?oh yea this is a really old thread but no lights have been stolen since 04
Old 08-06-2007, 09:11 PM
I R The Law

Why the hella did you bump this thread for?
Old 08-06-2007, 09:37 PM

cuz he wants his lights jacked in NJ...
Old 08-06-2007, 09:39 PM
I R The Law

****, he can bring his car over to where I live and I'll jack them if need be.

Quick Reply: NJ sues Nissan over stolen headlights