5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Headlight Left Low Beam won't work

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2004, 02:09 AM

Headlight Left Low Beam won't work

Took out the bulb, works fine both low and high beam. Even replaced the bulb with new one, still won't work. Check plug (that connects to bulb) for power, no power at low beam connection with lights switched on and on low beam. Checked fuses, all ok. Daytime running lights work fine, high beams work fine, fog lamps work fine, just left low beam won't work. Anybody have a clue why???

Dannodotcom
Old 03-11-2004, 07:51 AM

i didnt get half the things u said, so forgive me if this question is already answered, but is ur low-beam out? from what u said, i think i interpreted it as, you took out the bulb from the headlight and both low and high worked?
Old 03-11-2004, 07:57 AM
350 Detroit Muscle

2k and 2k1 have double filament headlight bulbs. If you highbeam works but not the low beam, you'll need to get new bulb. Both high and low beams work from same bulb.
Old 03-11-2004, 12:27 PM

I know all this, as I said in my post, I put in a new bulb and it still doesn't work, checked the plug for power, no power (voltage 0) on low beam spade with lights turned on and set low beam. The only thing I can think it might be is bad relay, gonna try tappiing it with a screwdriver and see what happens.

Dannodotcom

Originally Posted by Ammi
2k and 2k1 have double filament headlight bulbs. If you highbeam works but not the low beam, you'll need to get new bulb. Both high and low beams work from same bulb.
Old 03-11-2004, 12:51 PM
MCE
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Let me know how you make out. My left low beam is way dimmer than the right. It might be a similar component problem.

Thanks MCE
Old 03-11-2004, 01:43 PM

Ok, found out more, it's not good. First of all I am Canadian and thus have the "Daytime Light System" which turns on the High beam lights at about half power during the day. I have the service manual for my car and took a look at the wiring diagram for the Canadian system and the U.S. system and the Canadian system is much more complicated as it has a computer called the "Daytime Light Control Unit". Anyway, I checked the relays, there are two, one for the LH headlight (high and low beam) and one for the RH headlight (high and low beam), and they are both working. And they are identical, so I swapped them to determine if one of the relays was bad, nope, still no LH low beam. So now the problem can only be in two places, the Daytime Light Control Unit itself, or the wiring/connection from the DLCU to the headlight. Don't know what a new DLCU costs but I bet it's over $100!! But I bet you that's what it is, arghhhhhhh!!!

Dannodotcom

Originally Posted by MCE
Let me know how you make out. My left low beam is way dimmer than the right. It might be a similar component problem.

Thanks MCE
Old 03-11-2004, 01:55 PM
MCE
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The DRLM is around 285 can.,I know because the dealer told me it was the problem. I switched one from an identical car and year, no go. So much for the dealer know-it-all. I'm back to square one again. I hope it's not in the harness,would be a real pain to track down.
Old 05-17-2004, 11:52 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have the exact same problem with one low beam being burned out with no power going to the bulb. I'm trying to avoid having the dealer tinker around. What is the solution to this? Does replacing the daytime running light module fix this ($280).

HELP!
Old 05-17-2004, 08:06 PM

Left Low Beam Headlight Dead

I solved my problem!! After fretting about it for months I finally did some tests using a multimeter to check for continuity between the DRL module and the LH Headlight, everything was fine so it HAD to be in the module. Took the module apart AGAIN and tried to find a problem, located the terminal that supplies Ground to the LH Headlight and traced it back on the circuit board and found that it connects to a silver jumper wire that sits just on top of the circuit board, and is about 1" long. This wire had come completely OUT of the hole in the circuit board and was just sitting loose not connected to anything at one end, and the other end was still in it's hole, but loose and ready to fall out as well. These are the result of cold solder joints. I resoldered this wire back in place (both ends) and viola, problem solved! Cost me nothing but about 2 hours work. Having the schematic for the DRL circuit helped be a lot, but you could probably find the problem without it. Nissan is most likely making a few bucks on this one, as the problem doesn't usually happen until you are past 60,000 KM, after which you have no warauntee and must pay for the diagnosis and replacement of the part (DRL module), which will likely cost you at least CDN$350 for a simple loose solder joint!!!!! I believe it was pin #11 on the cct board that was the trouble circuit. This is a really stinky problem because there is nothing wrong with the headlight, just the DRL module, if anyone has any questions let me know and I will try to help, you certainly should not be paying for a new DRL module when just a simple soldering job would fix the problem!

Cheers,
Dannodotcom

I have the exact same problem with one low beam being burned out with no power going to the bulb. I'm trying to avoid having the dealer tinker around. What is the solution to this? Does replacing the daytime running light module fix this ($280).

HELP!
Old 05-18-2004, 04:19 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Many thanks. I've already plugged in the soldering iron!

Last question - where do I find the DRL module on my car (2000GXE)?
Old 05-18-2004, 04:24 PM

The DRL module is about 1/2" in front of the windshield washer fluid resevoir and brown in color. To take the cover off you have to first remove it from its mount by pushing down and then remove the three connectors, then take a screwdriver and pry the cover off carefully! I ended up doing a little damage to the case when doing this, but if you are carefull you need not do any damage, anyway the case is just a covering and serves no purpose other than protect the circuit board from the elements. Once you have the circuit board in hand, look very closely at the solder joints of the WIRES on the circuit board, wiggle them with needlenose plyers and see if they are at all loose, I'll bet that one of them IS. Resolder the joint (s) and problem solved!

Originally Posted by davidveinot
Many thanks. I've already plugged in the soldering iron!

Last question - where do I find the DRL module on my car (2000GXE)?
Old 02-24-2012, 09:13 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Low beam problem

Ok, had mine at the shop. They could figure it out. I read this forum and told them. The started to change the black box out but then they discovered that the box was not a nissan part. Was an aftermarket part that a bodyshop had put in so than they could match the connections up. We than read more into this forum and learned about taking the box apart. Turns out the connections on the circut board were corroded. They cleaned the corrosion up and put the box back togeather and the dam light worked.

Thanks for this forum we have lights again.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:19 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

front turn signal

Ok, I got the lowbeam working, how do I change the turn signal bulb?
Old 02-24-2012, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by wildbill1972
Ok, I got the lowbeam working, how do I change the turn signal bulb?
um...should just twist out and back from the headlight assembly...

this is an 8 year old thread, so i wouldn't hang out for other answers.
Old 10-26-2014, 04:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Great post - thanks for he help. I hought I had a bad bulb but that did not fix my issue. I found this thread, an after some sodering, problem solved. Thanks, saved me a bunch.
Old 10-26-2014, 06:45 PM

nice search skills!

An oldie but a goody.

Originally Posted by bmccullum@rogers.com
Great post - thanks for he help. I hought I had a bad bulb but that did not fix my issue. I found this thread, an after some sodering, problem solved. Thanks, saved me a bunch.
Old 10-26-2014, 08:46 PM

Cheers on finding the issue bro, on my current maxima i had an issue with lights. Door locks, trunk release, interior lights, and passenger side fogs, high and low beams would not work. drove me insane, turned out to be the smart entrance control module under the dash, a plug was out. plugged it in and viola everything worked again