5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

HID theft deterrent kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2004, 05:18 AM

HID theft deterrent kit

Hey guys. Within hours I am going to be the proud new owner of a tungsten blue 2002 SE. Like everyone else with an 02-04 the HID theft issues concern me. I will soon bring it in to have the crank and cam sensors replaced. The other recalls fortunately don't apply to my VIN. I have done alot of reading of old threads here since the search function is disabled. I understand that dealers are only installing the kit free of charge in the NJ/NY area. My question is two-fold. One, any of you Connecticut guys had this done and could you tell me what dealer you went to? And two, if I can't get it done for free, is it worth buying the kit and installing it myself and how much does it cost?

I understand that they can still be stolen with the kit on. And I know that if it is attempted with the kit on that even more damage will just occur.

Thanks

Old 03-11-2004, 05:26 AM

first, welcome to the org

now the HID theft is on the 02-03 Maxima

Also I believe they recalled the cars in CT for the datadots/ballast movement as well. They also did it in Eastern PA. Just call any Nissan dealer around you and ask about it. I personally wouldn't spend any money to get the hood lock deterrent. If thieves want it, they will take it.

Last, check out the regional section
Old 03-11-2004, 06:08 AM
Reported

Originally Posted by CT MAXOUT
Hey guys. Within hours I am going to be the proud new owner of a tungsten blue 2002 SE. Like everyone else with an 02-04 the HID theft issues concern me. I will soon bring it in to have the crank and cam sensors replaced. The other recalls fortunately don't apply to my VIN. I have done alot of reading of old threads here since the search function is disabled. I understand that dealers are only installing the kit free of charge in the NJ/NY area. My question is two-fold. One, any of you Connecticut guys had this done and could you tell me what dealer you went to? And two, if I can't get it done for free, is it worth buying the kit and installing it myself and how much does it cost?

Congrats on your new purchase and it is always nice to see a CT native. I would probably take the car to Middletown Nissan. The salesman I had was kinda pushy but everyone else was nice. When I was shopping for a car I stopped by Crowley Nissan on Route 6 and I had to go inside to have someone help me. All the salesman were standing inside shooting the breeze. Apparently they assumed I was not a serious buyer (21 year old male) so they did not even attempt to see what I was interested in. oh well thats their loss.
Old 03-11-2004, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by Gsilk
Congrats on your new purchase and it is always nice to see a CT native. I would probably take the car to Middletown Nissan. The salesman I had was kinda pushy but everyone else was nice. When I was shopping for a car I stopped by Crowley Nissan on Route 6 and I had to go inside to have someone help me. All the salesman were standing inside shooting the breeze. Apparently they assumed I was not a serious buyer (21 year old male) so they did not even attempt to see what I was interested in. oh well thats their loss.
Thanks man. I know both places. Been to both looking at vehicles.
Old 03-11-2004, 07:15 AM

hey guys, i have a used '03 maxima. i was wondering how i could check to see if the datadots recall was done on my car. i have the sticker on my front windows (that were there when i purchased the car), but i don't see anything special going on around the headlights themselves and just wanted to make sure.
Old 03-11-2004, 07:15 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Welcome to the org. and hey gsilk... i used to live in CT and went to Central, live in E Hartford and New Britian while in school. Had many good times there and my bro lives in Farmington also. My max was in yesterday for the HID theft kit... I looked under the hood and couldn't see what was done other than the tech cracking one of the mounting tabs and the stupid stickers on the lights and windows. Whatever... I'm sure no thief will touch my car once the see the "data dots of death" on the car.