5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

3.0L Header Dyno #s ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2004, 08:21 PM
drag racing is for wussies

3.0L Header Dyno #s ?

Anyone has these ? I looked around everywhere on the forum for eighter Cattman or HotShot and found nothing.
Old 03-12-2004, 03:46 AM
Blu
the tits

the only cattman header dyno was done on Iron Lungs car which was also paired with cams to my knowledge. Also HS isn't made for the 3.0 yet even though it would fit with minor work, but not to many people are willing to drop $500+ and have to modify them to fit. BTW SE-R Maxima?
Old 03-12-2004, 04:47 AM

I read about one car dynoing with headers, and I thought it had a SC also.. but I might be wrong. it made something like 17WHP over his old Y-pipe. As for the SE-R badge- like I explained before- I owned a few of them, I'm a true SE-Rhead (more so than a Maxima freak) I go to all the SE-R events, of course I would never buy the current SE-R, real ones where made from 91 to 94.
Old 03-12-2004, 05:43 AM
Blu
the tits

Originally Posted by BlackBIRDVQ
I read about one car dynoing with headers, and I thought it had a SC also.. but I might be wrong. it made something like 17WHP over his old Y-pipe. As for the SE-R badge- like I explained before- I owned a few of them, I'm a true SE-Rhead (more so than a Maxima freak) I go to all the SE-R events, of course I would never buy the current SE-R, real ones where made from 91 to 94.
Ahhh yea I forgot about HNDA EATR but the performance gains were definately magnified from the SC'er. I hear you on the SE-R I was present a JDM SR20DE swap last weekend in a 91.
Old 03-12-2004, 06:01 AM
Stev02

My buddy did a sr20ve swap in his 91 sentra in january. that boost is sick.

Old 03-12-2004, 02:36 PM
92 SE-R 02 SE

Originally Posted by Stev02
My buddy did a sr20ve swap in his 91 sentra in january. that boost is sick.
SR20VE = NA
SR20DET = TURBO

Old 03-12-2004, 03:05 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

VQ30s need to get together and talk with HotShot.

'95-'01s are a HUGE market for their product. At least way more then VQ35 Altimas and Maximas.
Old 03-12-2004, 03:10 PM
92 SE-R 02 SE

Originally Posted by IceY2K1
VQ30s need to get together and talk with HotShot.

'95-'01s are a HUGE market for their product. At least way more then VQ35 Altimas and Maximas.
I'm surprised that HS is not all over the VQ30....

Most nissan guys know HS make nice power in their headers...maxima guys need to step up! (VQ30)..

Old 03-12-2004, 03:13 PM

Yeah, HS always R&Ds good stuff and at least for SR20s, keeps improving and improving and improving the design.

I just wish they used a stock or larger size flex section. That 2K2+ one looks punny.
Old 03-12-2004, 05:18 PM

Newest prototype SR20 header put down 22WHP over stock. They been working closely with Mike Kojima, JWT and HS on making the most power out of the SR motor for years. They are now up to 208WHP all motor with lots of torque and simple bolt ons. They are shooting for alot more still... I think they will hit 300WHP with the SR24 JWT special. Eighter way..... One thing that works on a SR20 is a 3" collector with 3" piping all the way, equal lenght. They found alot more HP with diff cams and newest HS headers along with a 3" exhaust. Car is not turbo or nos. I think if I can talk Mike Kojima into making us some VQ parts... we would be in heaven... JWT killer race cams make almost 40WHP on a SR20.... its sick that a 2.0L NA motor makes more power with a few bolt ons than a moded AUTO 99 Max. 300WHP NA VQ30 motor would sound wicked
Old 03-12-2004, 10:44 PM
Future Camaro SS owner

Yeah, HS always R&Ds good stuff and at least for SR20s, keeps improving and improving and improving the design.

I just wish they used a stock or larger size flex section. That 2K2+ one looks punny.
I wrote HS and asked and they said the plan on making performance parts for the 3.0 but not at a immediate time. I think this calls for a thread like the TS Ecu thread for the 3.0.
Old 03-13-2004, 07:12 AM

How much interest do we have for some awesome headers ? No one seems to provide us with any Cattman vs stock & lightly moded VQ30 ( CAI, Ypipe, Exhaust, test pipe) horsepower numbers. I would buy the HS headers ( have a welder, and plasma cutter) but I don't feel like modifying them to fit, and then loosing HP. If we get a poll going or something to see how many people would be interested in lets say 25WHP gain over stock for 550 bux...I would be deff in. But HS or Cattman needs to provide us with real #s- no Stillen Ponnies here. If they where to hook me up with a good deal on the headers I am willing to dyno them to see what they gain. I would go dyno my car lets say on one Saturday, and then re-dyno it the next Saturday with headers after ECU learns the new found power... but I wanna hookup for the headers- and if I don't gain 10 over my cattman ypipe I won't spend more then 450 for em, PERIOD. I don't think anyone here is willing to buy something that has not been tested out- especially for 550 bux- witness Stillen headers.
Old 03-13-2004, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by blubyu2k2
the only cattman header dyno was done on Iron Lungs car which was also paired with cams to my knowledge. Also HS isn't made for the 3.0 yet even though it would fit with minor work, but not to many people are willing to drop $500+ and have to modify them to fit. BTW SE-R Maxima?

BTW SE-R Maxima?[/QUOTE]<blu quote

Well, at least he has a Nissan and it ain't as bad as seeing an American Chevy Silverado with a GTR emblem on the back of it as I saw last night.
Old 03-13-2004, 11:02 AM
Future Camaro SS owner

Ok the SE-R doesn't look bad My reason I don't think so is if your car is a SE and you have have mods it's race tuned R making it a SE-R.
Old 03-14-2004, 08:14 AM

I explained the badge maaaany times already. I owned a few SE-R Sentras- 91-94s... best cars ever made period. I go to all the SE-R meets and such so I decided in true patronage to put a SE-R badge on it. My car is not a SE, its a GXE. I didn't care for anything but the engine on my Maxima- why pay for "sport tunned suspension" crappy Nissan CD/8track radio ? It was all going to get yanked out anyways, plus I don't like the rear spoiler.... anyways I wanna see some header #s.
Old 03-15-2004, 09:39 AM

I wonder how many headers Cattman has sold.

SOMEBODY has to have dyno'd them by now.

BTW, if SR20DEN put Cattman VQ30 headers on his VQ35, then *MAYBE* HS VQ35 headers would fit us?
Old 03-15-2004, 09:43 AM

IF somebody doesn't step up and take this on, I'll do it once I get done with the TS ECUs.

Can't bite off anymore right now.

Originally Posted by MyownNismo
I wrote HS and asked and they said the plan on making performance parts for the 3.0 but not at a immediate time. I think this calls for a thread like the TS Ecu thread for the 3.0.
Old 03-15-2004, 09:53 AM
The Definitive AE Master

surprisingly there has not been many dyno results for the cattman headers. I have already contacted HS with a formal business letter with a proposition to make a header for the 3.0, lets see what they said.

I would buy the HS headers to see if they hit on my 3.0 if I could get a idea on what was modified from the 3.0 to the 3.5. I do not want to be cutting up the manifold pipes
Old 03-15-2004, 09:57 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

IF somebody doesn't step up and take this on, I'll do it once I get done with the TS ECUs.

Can't bite off anymore right now.
Yeah, but you dont need the ECU right? I think that you should test the headers w/o the ECU. That should give a better baseline right?

I do understand that the more "stuff" you put on down stream could up the numbers...but I would like to see it w/o the ECU stuff, as I have no intention of buying one right now as I cant see the benefit for me.
Old 03-15-2004, 10:34 AM

I have two ECUs, so I can do back-to-back ON DYNO comparisons, ie best scenario.

ECU would be night/day difference for us STOCK, once you throw headers/cams into the mix...watch out.

Originally Posted by Colonel
Yeah, but you dont need the ECU right? I
think that you should test the headers w/o the ECU. That should give a better baseline right?

I do understand that the more "stuff" you put on down stream could up the numbers...but I would like to see it w/o the ECU stuff, as I have no intention of buying one right now as I cant see the benefit for me.
Old 03-15-2004, 10:40 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

I have two ECUs, so I can do back-to-back ON DYNO comparisons, ie best scenario.

ECU would be night/day difference for us STOCK, once you throw headers/cams into the mix...watch out.
Can you give me the Readers Digest version as to how I would help myself with and AM ECU? They be expesive arent they?
Old 03-15-2004, 10:58 AM

IF you can search, look for the TS and SteVTECs "optimal shift point" thread.

Biggest reason IMO, is the extended rev limiter to 7000+rpm, since our engine is still making healthy power at redline we can benefit from shifting later.

Yes, $495, but worth every penny IMO.

Originally Posted by Colonel
Can you give me the Readers Digest version as to how I would help myself with and AM ECU? They be expesive arent they?
Old 03-15-2004, 11:03 AM
The Definitive AE Master

yes, worth ever penny. Time for us 3.0 guys to get some mods.
Old 03-15-2004, 11:06 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally Posted by Larrio
yes, worth ever penny. Time for us 3.0 guys to get some mods.
I am assuming you got one...why'd you get one?

I have a limited budget, but want to do things correctly. Might have to set up a savings bin for the ECU too....
Old 03-15-2004, 01:53 PM
Maxima Pilot

I have already contacted HS with a formal business letter with a proposition to make a header for the 3.0, lets see what they said.

I would buy the HS headers to see if they hit on my 3.0 if I could get a idea on what was modified from the 3.0 to the 3.5. I do not want to be cutting up the manifold pipes
Larrio...same here.....I have exchanged quite a few emails with Sergio on this subject, including one containing a link to this specific thread....

I'm in the same boat, I'm not going to fart around cutting and welding anything.

And in terms of which to do first, it's a matter of timing: if the TS ECU is ready before the headers I'll get that, but if the headers are ready before the ECU then they go on. Simple choices...
Old 03-15-2004, 01:59 PM

Pretty sure SR20DEN didn't hack ANYTHING. Could be mistaken though.

For a fact, the exhaust manifold flanges work, it's just whether the tranny or other aux items will be in the way.

I got $20 towards anybody that wants to try this~!
Old 03-15-2004, 02:56 PM
The Definitive AE Master

Pretty sure SR20DEN didn't hack ANYTHING. Could be mistaken though.

For a fact, the exhaust manifold flanges work, it's just whether the tranny or other aux items will be in the way.

I got $20 towards anybody that wants to try this~!
if you can find someone to buy my brand new cali spec cattman y-pipe, I will purchase the HS headers and test fit for the 2k1 (after the TS ecu of course )

colonel: there isn't a ECU out yet for our cars, but I am the prototype pig for the TS ECU. I meant that money for the ECU is worth the extended rev limiter and tuned fuel maps.
Old 03-15-2004, 03:02 PM

Hmmmmnnnnnn......

Let me see what Cattman would charge for a restocking fee.

if you can find someone to buy my brand new cali spec cattman y-pipe, I will purchase the HS headers and test fit for the 2k1 (after the TS ecu of course )

colonel: there isn't a ECU out yet for our cars, but I am the prototype pig for the TS ECU. I meant that money for the ECU is worth the extended rev limiter and tuned fuel maps.
Old 03-15-2004, 03:06 PM
The Definitive AE Master

Hmmmmnnnnnn......

ask SWA if they can hook it up since it was from their cattman GD
Old 03-15-2004, 07:32 PM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Hmmmmnnnnnn......

Hmmmm, I wait with eager anticipation... [Burns voice] Excelllent [/Burn voice]
Old 03-15-2004, 08:02 PM
The Definitive AE Master

I contacted steve at SWA via PM about returning the cattman y-pipe for a HS header. Hope I don't eat it too much for this
Old 03-15-2004, 10:17 PM

did U install the Y pipe ? do U have dyno #s for before ? car with no Y-pipe but stock I mean.... just so maybe if U dyno with the headers we can see the diff ??
Old 03-15-2004, 10:24 PM
The Definitive AE Master

Originally Posted by BlackBIRDVQ
did U install the Y pipe ? do U have dyno #s for before ? car with no Y-pipe but stock I mean.... just so maybe if U dyno with the headers we can see the diff ??
no, I have the y-pipe unused still in the box.

When TS dynos my car, that will be the stock #'s used for comparison. After that, if I have the money and patient mechanic, I will attempt to purchase the HS headers to see if they fit the 3.0

As of now, i'm rather discouraged after looking/studying pics between cattman and HS headers
we will need to address:
-4 o2 bungs (don't want to throw any codes)
-2nd manifold bolt up problems
-clearance issues (3.5 is fatter than the 3.0)
Old 03-15-2004, 10:53 PM
living out of a maxima...

Originally Posted by MyownNismo
Then let's make this the thread. I'd be all over a $500 set of headers... I'd like to squeeze every last hp out of this engine.
Old 03-15-2004, 11:02 PM
The Definitive AE Master

maybe we are getting through with them. Here is their reply to my formal letter sent yesterday:

larry, hello sir. well, thanks for your email. it has been passed over to management for them to review. if there are absolutely ANY developments pertaining to this subject, i will make sure to alert you the minute i have word. thanks again, and take care.
sergio, HSP.

one of the nicer emails from manufacturers that i've received. hopefully something will come through while i'm doing the TS ecu
Old 03-16-2004, 06:53 AM
Maxima Pilot

maybe we are getting through with them. Here is their reply to my formal letter sent yesterday:

larry, hello sir. well, thanks for your email. it has been passed over to management for them to review. if there are absolutely ANY developments pertaining to this subject, i will make sure to alert you the minute i have word. thanks again, and take care.
sergio, HSP.

one of the nicer emails from manufacturers that i've received. hopefully something will come through while i'm doing the TS ecu
Larrio..I've had similarly classy responses from Sergio as well....all I can say is that the more emails we send them, the better the chances of them supporting us 3-liter folks so by all means, guys...send Sergio many love notes!
Old 03-16-2004, 09:13 AM

I can't afford it right now, got to buy new PC . Plus, Cattmans' standard 25% return isn't worth the hit vs. selling it.

If SWA *cough*Steve*cough* won't help out even though this would benefit HOTSHOT header sales, you might try FS forum and see what someone would give you for it?

I contacted steve at SWA via PM about returning the cattman y-pipe for a HS header. Hope I don't eat it too much for this
Old 03-16-2004, 09:16 AM

As of now, i'm rather discouraged after looking/studying pics between cattman and HS headers

we will need to address:
-4 o2 bungs (don't want to throw any codes)
VQ35s have 4, so what's the issue?

-2nd manifold bolt up problems
What problems?

-clearance issues (3.5 is fatter than the 3.0)
[/QUOTE]
Fatter? Tubing is fatter?
Old 03-16-2004, 09:18 AM
The Definitive AE Master

I can't afford it right now, got to buy new PC . Plus, Cattmans' standard 25% return isn't worth the hit vs. selling it.
SWA customer service to maxima owners has come through once again. I will be sending in the cattman y-pipe in the next couple of days with no restocking charge except shipping fees in exchange for the HS header plus price difference.

I believe the 3.5 is wider than the 3.0? Visually it looks that way, of course I could be wrong. I'm worried that the 2nd manifold or the part that replaces the y-pipe won't bolt up right or have problems clearing mechanical components.
Old 03-16-2004, 09:20 AM
Maxima Pilot

SWA customer service to maxima owners has come through once again. I will be sending in the cattman y-pipe in the next couple of days with no restocking charge except shipping fees in exchange for the HS header plus price difference.

Meaning you will indeed be the 3-liter guinea pig????

Quick Reply: 3.0L Header Dyno #s ?