5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Wussup Everyone....im A Newbie And I Just Got Back From The Track

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 07:40 AM

Wussup Everyone....im A Newbie And I Just Got Back From The Track

hey wussup everyone...my name is Ray...i drive a 2000 Nissan Maxima GLE...its automatic but whatever...ive been on the site for a few months but just NOW am i allowed to post for some reason..haha...n e wayz...i ran my maxima at Mason Dixon Race Track yesterday in Hagerstown, Maryland...i ran a 15.662 @86.66 mph......thats my current best..and the car is BONE STOCK...im thinking about modding it..but then again..im thinking about buying a 2001 Camaro Z28.....well...just wanted to introduce myself and ask everybody for some advice on what type of perforamce parts i should get for the maxima....like wut brand intake...etc..(im thinking about going with INJEN)...well..ill stop talking now...and read up on replys from u guys...nice to meet everyone...
Old 03-15-2004, 07:42 AM

i als o had tractoon problems and my best 60Ft was a 2.343....the rest of my 60's were about that time or worse...so im sure if i dead hook i can pull off a 15.3-15.4 1/4 mile.
Old 03-15-2004, 07:46 AM

Put on a good Y-pipe and cat-back and and intake and you should have no trouble getting into the 14's with a good launch. The Y-pipes make good power on the 3.0L motor.
Old 03-15-2004, 08:49 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by blazziny2ray
hey wussup everyone...my name is Ray...i drive a 2000 Nissan Maxima GLE...its automatic but whatever...ive been on the site for a few months but just NOW am i allowed to post for some reason..haha...n e wayz...i ran my maxima at Mason Dixon Race Track yesterday in Hagerstown, Maryland...i ran a 15.662 @86.66 mph......thats my current best..and the car is BONE STOCK...im thinking about modding it..but then again..im thinking about buying a 2001 Camaro Z28.....well...just wanted to introduce myself and ask everybody for some advice on what type of perforamce parts i should get for the maxima....like wut brand intake...etc..(im thinking about going with INJEN)...well..ill stop talking now...and read up on replys from u guys...nice to meet everyone...
Don't waste your time and money on modding it unless you plan on going with boost on your 2000. Otherwise you'll still be running 14's with the bolts ons.. Just get the z28 and with minimum fundage you'll be running low 13's, high 12's easily...
Old 03-15-2004, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by PCGuRu2K
Don't waste your time and money on modding it unless you plan on going with boost on your 2000. Otherwise you'll still be running 14's with the bolts ons.. Just get the z28 and with minimum fundage you'll be running low 13's, high 12's easily...

dats wut im debating..whether or not buy the ****in 3-5 thousand dollar turbo for the car..or just by the Z28 and run a 13 ****in stock...i got 3 months to make up my mind....ill let everyone know wussup...is a 15.6 good for a bone stock GLE....its automatic....im not sure wut specs say bout wut my car SHOULD run...but let me know wussup..there 23874089750943 poele on thei foprum..and i only got two friggin replies..wuts up wit u guys...respond tho this post...Thanx....
Old 03-15-2004, 12:26 PM

it cant be just as simple as a z28 vs a turboed gle question

the two cars are completely different...meaning that the z-28 is a sports car which eats a lot of gas doesnt drive good in the winter but is very easily modified to run some sick numbers at the track,

whereas a maxima will run well in all seasons, and can fit 5 of your friends to go out too

there are different factors that have to contirbute to this problem
Old 03-15-2004, 12:34 PM
Banned

you ran about right. what do you want a sports car? or a semi luxury car that is somewhat quick? thats your question. me i'd take the max over the maro. if i had to cash to buy a maro i'd pimp out my max. peace good luck.
Old 03-15-2004, 02:46 PM

yea....the problem is....if i buy the camaro..it'll be a lot easier to hook up..gas is not a problem..doesnt matter to much how much it wastes..in my opinion..a tricked out Z28 dat runs 12-13's is ****in tighter to me than a tricked out max running 13's...if i want my car to run wut a LS1 runs stock i would need to put an easy 5-6 G's in the shyt...part for the LS1 r a lot cheaper and u get better performance out of it...i love my maxima...but it copsts to much to ****in hook it up when im not even get get the numbers i want in the 1/4 mile..i wanna run atleast a 12 sec 1/4 mile....the fastest maxima i have ever seen was running 13.0.....Z's run that shyt STOCK....well..i really dont know wyut to do..i would love to hook the max up..but since i dont know a WHOLE LOT about cars and shyt..i mean i know enough and can hold my own....by n e chance..does n e one live in maryland...???.....well...ill check up on this thread in a few hours...c wut input more people have.
Old 03-15-2004, 04:23 PM
retired moderator

Just get an intake for a little exra growl and then buy a rear sway bar, which will greatly improve yourhandling and make your maxima much more fun to drive on the street (much less body roll). Since most of your driving time is spent on real roads, and you are never gonna post 12's in a maxima without spending 10K, go with some minor mods. Intake and RSB will run you 3-500 bucks. If you're going for nothing but straight-line speed, get a muscle car! BTW welcome to the org!
Old 03-15-2004, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by irish44j
Just get an intake for a little exra growl and then buy a rear sway bar, which will greatly improve yourhandling and make your maxima much more fun to drive on the street (much less body roll). Since most of your driving time is spent on real roads, and you are never gonna post 12's in a maxima without spending 10K, go with some minor mods. Intake and RSB will run you 3-500 bucks. If you're going for nothing but straight-line speed, get a muscle car! BTW welcome to the org!

yeaq dats wut im planning on doing...just slap on an intake and maybe an underdrive pulley....i should be hitting low 15's high 14's...and thanx for the welcome...does n e body live in Maryland?..
Old 03-15-2004, 06:12 PM

ANother consideration w/ the z28 is insurance. Im guessing you are a younger guy-that could be pricey...
Old 03-15-2004, 06:15 PM

$hit!! I didn't know there was other track in MD besides MIR and Captial. Mason Dixon Race Track in Hagerstown huh? Maybe I go there and check them out.
Old 03-15-2004, 07:00 PM
retired moderator

I work in Md. (Suitland) but live in va.
Old 03-15-2004, 07:23 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Welcome to the board. Your times are pretty good for a stock GLE. An intake woud net you another .1-.2 seconds. Perfect timing or what??

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=293385
Old 03-15-2004, 08:04 PM

thanx everyone..yea i had damn good timing considering i manually shift from 1st....to 2nd....to D....i dont just put it in D and punch it...but yea...im 19 years old..no speeding tickets....nothing...have had a perfect record so far...but n e wayz...insurance is gonna be a *****.....i think this week or next week im gonna order my injen intake....see what will happen...o...the day i ran the 15.6...there was major head wind..i was dirving AGAINST the wind..dat didnt help to much either...im sure if i had some tail wind or no wind at all i can pull a 15.4 out of the max...it stays strong all the way through..i also had traction problems every time i ran...i warm them up be4 i run...but i guess traction problems is a burden to FWD cars...n e wayz..if i get my 60 ft's down..and had no wind or tail wind..im sure it would run better.
Old 03-15-2004, 08:10 PM
Mass_Media™

thanx everyone..yea i had damn good timing considering i manually shift from 1st....to 2nd....to D....i dont just put it in D and punch it...but yea...im 19 years old..no speeding tickets....nothing...have had a perfect record so far...but n e wayz...insurance is gonna be a *****.....i think this week or next week im gonna order my injen intake....so what will happen...o...the day i ran the 15.6...there was major head wind..i was dirving AGAINST the wind..dat didnt help to much either...im sure if i had some tail wind or no wind at all i can pull a 15.4 out of the max...it stays strong all the way through..i also had traction problems every time i ran...i warm them up be4 i run...but i guess traction problems is a burden to FWD cars...n e wayz..if i get my 60 ft's down..and had no wind or tail wind..im sure it would run better.

I don't think that shifting from 1st to 2nd to D is the best way to get you 1/4 time down....I don't think it can be good for the transmission....I thought you could only do that on tiptronic and shift on the fly tranmissions? (with out doing damage)
Old 03-15-2004, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Mass_Media
I don't think that shifting from 1st to 2nd to D is the best way to get you 1/4 time down....I don't think it can be good for the transmission....I thought you could only do that on tiptronic and shift on the fly tranmissions? (with out doing damage)

i havent tried geting my 1/4 wit just nailing it in D.....ill try that next time..ive been manually shifting the past year or so when i race...and there nothing wrong wit the car at all...runs perfect
Old 03-15-2004, 08:32 PM
retired moderator

Yes, shifting 1-2-D in an auto is not a good idea. I screwed up my parents' tranny (Volvo 740 turbo automatic) doing that when I was younger and stupider and had just gotten my license. It was not a good idea then, and is not a good idea now. If you like shifting, you should trade in your car for a 5-sp or 6-sp maxima.....
Old 03-15-2004, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by irish44j
Yes, shifting 1-2-D in an auto is not a good idea. I screwed up my parents' tranny (Volvo 740 turbo automatic) doing that when I was younger and stupider and had just gotten my license. It was not a good idea then, and is not a good idea now. If you like shifting, you should trade in your car for a 5-sp or 6-sp maxima.....

next time i go to the track ill just put it in D and punch it..to see what happens..u guys know ur shyt more than i do...so ill take ur advice...ill let u guys know wussup when i go to the track again.
Old 03-15-2004, 11:15 PM

my brother bought a camora(v-6 blah) but the ride comfort and seat hieght and all that stuff felt pretty cool the first couple of times i was driving i, but from experience is gets tiresome... sorta like driving a manny for a while in traffic... i like his car and all but if you can handle wasting the gas like you said and the seating then by all means get a camaro (not a z28 but an SS with the ground effects kit).
Old 03-16-2004, 01:38 AM

next time i go to the track ill just put it in D and punch it..to see what happens..u guys know ur shyt more than i do...so ill take ur advice...ill let u guys know wussup when i go to the track again.
Manually shifting the transmission isn't gonna break jack.... the fastest auto 5th gen guy whom runs 12's manually shifts his car and kicks *** at the track, and has been doing so since day one... ask him for yourself his name is blubyu2k2.... you want to move your shifter up to the next gear so that it shifts right at redline in your car, and that will net you a little better times, since our cars have good top end. Also at the track, there's no point in heating up your tires or spinning the crap out of them since all that's doing is wearing your tires down... the only time you want to heat your tires up is if you have slicks. Drive around the water at the track, not through it... if you have to drive through it, spin your tires about 5 rotations or so, not that much... and you shouldn't have traction problems off the line in a stock 2000-2001 automatic maxima, that's just weird... hopefully you're not shifting from neutral into drive i hope...
Old 03-16-2004, 06:07 AM
The Definitive AE Master

when u put it in D and mash it at the track, the automatic tranny shifts for you at the wrong points e.g- 1st gear is like 6100, 2nd gear at 6200, etc. This lands you in the wrong powerband for the next gear corresponding gear, affecting 1/4 mile times.

I ran at a 1/8 mile track with a 10.31 in D and a 10.12 manually shifting, same 60 ft times.

and about your camaro... to me, its not just about going fast and 1/4 mile racing. Driving around day to day, that crap isn't going to matter. But its all about priorities. Lets say your camaro can run 13's along with another maxima with mods that runs 13's. At the end of the day that tricked out maxima can go pick up 4 girls and go partying while your stuck with one
Old 03-16-2004, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by h2kFrosty
Manually shifting the transmission isn't gonna break jack.... the fastest auto 5th gen guy whom runs 12's manually shifts his car and kicks *** at the track, and has been doing so since day one... ask him for yourself his name is blubyu2k2.... you want to move your shifter up to the next gear so that it shifts right at redline in your car, and that will net you a little better times, since our cars have good top end. Also at the track, there's no point in heating up your tires or spinning the crap out of them since all that's doing is wearing your tires down... the only time you want to heat your tires up is if you have slicks. Drive around the water at the track, not through it... if you have to drive through it, spin your tires about 5 rotations or so, not that much... and you shouldn't have traction problems off the line in a stock 2000-2001 automatic maxima, that's just weird... hopefully you're not shifting from neutral into drive i hope...

no dude..hell no.i dont launhc form neutral to drive..thats just f'ing retarded..lol..but yea...ive street raced agsint my freinds v6 mustang.i beat the living crap out of his car..and i launch in D....we raced again..and i manually shifted from 1-2-D...and i beat his *** by even more than i beat him the first time...i get so much more power out of 1st wheni luanhc than D..but next time i go to the track im gona launch from D..just to c what happens.
Old 03-16-2004, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Larrio
when u put it in D and mash it at the track, the automatic tranny shifts for you at the wrong points e.g- 1st gear is like 6100, 2nd gear at 6200, etc. This lands you in the wrong powerband for the next gear corresponding gear, affecting 1/4 mile times.

I ran at a 1/8 mile track with a 10.31 in D and a 10.12 manually shifting, same 60 ft times.

and about your camaro... to me, its not just about going fast and 1/4 mile racing. Driving around day to day, that crap isn't going to matter. But its all about priorities. Lets say your camaro can run 13's along with another maxima with mods that runs 13's. At the end of the day that tricked out maxima can go pick up 4 girls and go partying while your stuck with one

good point about the girls dude...if n e thing..ill just throw them in my trunk,...they can wait...lol..but yea...i wanna hook up the max so bad..but im gonna be wasting so much money and never see the times i want...i would rather hook up my car than by a camaro just becuz my car looks pretty damn good and i like the fact its roomy....i dont know...i gotta really sit down and think about this shizzle....but either way..i know my decision in the end wil be for the best..and my car is gonna come out tricked out and fast.
Old 03-16-2004, 10:32 AM

welcome to the board...y don tyou introduce yourself in the washington d.c. area forums..thres alot of us around here and we meet up at least once a month...if you want speed get a 3.5.......